Start by marking “Phoenix Rising” as Want to Read:
Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising

(Phoenix Series #1)

In a future world where fossil fuels have run out and democracy has collapsed, an outlawed pirate crew fight for survival on their ship, the Phoenix, kept afloat by whatever they can salvage or scavenge on the debris-filled seas. Toby has never known anything other than life onboard the Phoenix and he's desperate for adventure. But when trouble comes hunting the Phoenix ...more
Published June 1st 2015 by Stripes

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix Rising

Start your review of Phoenix Rising
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, arc, book-tour, june, 2015
2.5 First half was boring, second half picked up. Just a bit...boring.
Milliebot
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This review and others posted over at my blog.

A middle-grade book about pirates in a post-apocalyptic setting? Sign me up! When I initially requested this book I thought it would give me Shipbreaker vibes. Unfortunately, I was disappointed on all counts and wish I’d just re-read Shipbreaker.

My biggest issue with this book was my inability to picture most of what was going on. The bulk of the story takes place on the ship and the trash-filled sea and I couldn’t clearly picture either. From what
Dusty Griffin
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: hate-readers
Phoenix Rising follows the story of teenage pirate Toby Ford and his travels aboard the Phoenix in a world of garbage-filled seas and blinding sunlight. Years before the story starts, the world had run out of natural oil, bringing the governments and corporations into chaos as they fight for power and resources. While all of this happens, a supervolcano erupts, bringing the world into darkness caused by ash clouds. Along with this, the Earth's seas become so salty that it becomes near impossible ...more
Andra
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great read! For more Steampunk Reviews and Guest Authors, Check out Unabridged Andra's Steamy Saturdays!

As an avid reader, I have the opportunity of reading many, many books. This is a great problem to have; I don't deny that. However, when you're reading anywhere from 2-5 books a week for fun, plus 1-2 per week for work, it takes a really strong showing for a book to really stand out and keep your attention. Phoenix Rising was that book for me.

Bryony Pierce doesn't waste time in setting the
Alex
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
In a not so distant future the world suffers from a mega volcano that changes the way everyone lives. Toby has grown up on the pirate ship Phoenix that his father the captain built. The pirates circle the world trying to find salvage that they can barter or sell.
When his dad is captured, Toby finds help from an unlikely ally.
3.75
Jaina Rose
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blogged
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

This actually has an even cooler premise than I thought it would going in. I guess I didn't read the description very carefully, because I saw "pirates" and thought "historical fiction." You know, like Blackbeard andshanghaiedpirates and the Jolly Roger and all that stuff? Well, it turns out thatPhoenix Risingis definitely nothing like that. It has the JollyRoger, sure, but that's where any similarities to historical pirate stories ends.
Someone
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The idea of the book is very interesting, with many interesting things in the story keeping the reader hooked, wanting more of the story. Really well executed and the characters and events feel real. 10/10 would recommend.
Shanna_redwind
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because I liked the theme of salvaging to survive, and I couldn't put it down. I just kept telling myself just a few more pages until I just gave up and finished it in a day.
April
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-school, 2017
Decent post-apocalyptic middle grade adventure.
John Jessop
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read it a couple of years ago, one of the first (and only) dystopia novels I've read, I really enjoyed it at the time, it's unique and fun. Good for younger people.
Rena
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 14 year old son loved this book!
Mieneke
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bryony Pearce’s last book, The Weight of Souls was one I enjoyed tremendously, so I was looking forward to reading her next book. What made Phoenix Rising even more interesting was that it is a departure from what Pearce has written previously; both Angel’s Fury and The Weight of Souls were supernatural YA stories, where Phoenix Rising is very much a dystopian narrative. The future Pearce evokes for us is bleak and its causes are frighteningly plausible.

Pearce’s world building is fabulous. She
Sahina Bibi
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you firstly to Stripes Publishing for involving me in promoting this book, from a signed review copy to putting me in the blog tour - more content can be found on my blog, such as author interview, a guest post from the author as well as the other tour stops on the blog tour.

Now on to the review we go! I’m going to start by saying that I was recruited as #TeamPhoenix whoop whoop but fear not my review does not take me away from my loyalty ;) Anyway here we go!

Phoenix Rising begins with
Amy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book labeled as junk-punk? That is a must read! I found myself immediately immersed in this original story. The juxtaposition of being set in the future, after a super volcano eruption has changed the world and the oceans are literally filled with floating junk, and pirate ships is pretty awesome. The Phoenix crew is like family and when Toby, the captain's son, runs into some trouble the crew help each other to escape. Full of adventure, science/inventions, and a tiny bit of romance, this is ...more
Kate Woodroffe
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A young adult book officially but I found it gripping and very entertaining. Bryony Pearce paints an intricate picture of a dystopian future of pirates struggling to survive afloat on a poisonous sea (the salt). The attention to detail is high and the story gripping. I read it while off sick from work and went straight on to read the sequel immediately. Have since recommended to all my friends with older kids
Mark Buxton
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My name is Toby, and my father is captain of the Phoenix. The Phoenix may appear to be a pirate ship due to the criminals manning the small crew, but we mostly sail the garbage-filled seas looking for wreckage to salvage. Resources are scarce, and our hopes rest in finding the location of a sunken ship containing solar panels. However, a rival pirate ship called the Banshee is hunting us down and is determined to loot our ship. The hunt for our ship seems to be personal to the Banshee's captain, ...more
Heather Lawson
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here: https://heatherreviews.wordpress.com/...
________________________________
A fantastic, action packed pirate adventure set in a world where fossil fuels have finally run out and alternative fuel sources are growing scarce. Toby and the rest of the Phoenix crew are sailing in the hopes of discovering a hidden cache of solar panels so they can find their way to ‘the island’ – a paradise where they can settle and flourish. Sadly, it’s not an easy journey as they have to steer
Emma Woodcock
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
oh dear, I think I'm going to give this up. I'm 100 pages in (25%), and my attention is still wandering.

It started so promisingly! I loved the way the scene was set with the torn off newspaper cuttings sketching a scene of social unrest, resource scarcity, and leading to coups, new nations, and finally the Yellowstone super volcano redrawing the world map.

I thought, 'I *love* this book! And I haven't even read the prologue yet!' Unfortunately, as soon as I started on the prose, it all went
Ellie
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The future that Toby lives in is the earth after the eruption of Yellowstone’s super volcano, but not immediately. Those who live now have survived through the days of darkness and the ash clouds have cleared, leaving behind a harsh environment. The seas are acidic and overflowing with junk, with only the most hardy sea life surviving and the sunlight blinding.

The world-building is well thought out and didn’t jar at any point. However we only see a limited view of this world from Toby’s stand
Dumpy Unicorn
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Phoenix Rising is the first novel in a brand new dystopian YA series about Pirates. The main character is Toby, chief engineer aboard the Phoenix.

The novel is very fast paced. The main character,Toby, moves from saving the ship’s engines to discovering a stowaway. The action never stops, it is a very wild ride, with the enemy ship the Banshee captained by Nell and her daughter Ayla as well as prison breaks, epic battles and explosions. I love that the world is well realised, an environmental
PC
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book review netgalley The Phoenix Rising
Steampunk meets The Jolly Roger/Pirates of the Caribbean
A wonderful swashbuckling adventure set in a destroyed future where survivors of an apocalypse are creating new world orders and pirates sail seas searching for alternative treasure – re-useable junk.
The book does not go into great detail about ‘the Dark’, but gives us enough to understand that these events could and did take place in the story and that the survivors are now experiencing new prospects
Saoirse Milotte
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Toby's feet have not touched solid ground since he was 6 years old, he has grown into a teenager aboard The Phoenix, a mighty ship that sails around the globe through the junk filled seas. He, his father, and their motley crew of pirates are all wanted men and women, unable to dock for long in case St George's Greymen capture them and hang them for crimes against the government.

The seas are far from safe either, as they contend with storms, acid waters and their dreaded enemy The Banshee,
Rakie Keig
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Post-apoc junk pirates, what's not to love?
Jennie Spraggs
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Phoenix Rising is the first novel in a new series for young adults and I have to say I really enjoyed it! It takes place in an honest and predictable future where society is experiencing political collapse due to the exploitation of fossil fuels.

This novel begins with a fantastic start! I was immediately hooked and full of anticipation. As expected, this remained throughout the novel, with a fast paced action and constant thrill. I really enjoyed this factor.
The ending was amazing and I
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this! A pirate adventure on the high seas but with a very different, unique take on the setting which is post apocalypse Earth. The briny seas burn, the sun blinds and the seas are filled with useless junk making it difficult to navigate. The story rattles along with a good pace with plenty of swashbuckling action and burgeoning friendships. Throw in a quirky Polly parrot and rival pirate ships and you have a rollocking good page turner. The ending is a bit of a cliff hanger which is ok ...more
Rhian Ivory
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Phoenix Rising is the first in a new series for young teens published by Stripes and definitely one to look out for.
If you liked Philip Reeve's award winning Mortal Engines you'll love this. Very unique, incredibly fast paced and has that page turning factor that is so essential in an action story.
There's a quirky parrot, three diverse and dynamic young protagonists who are pirates and a strong message about the future of our planet.
I'm looking forward to the next one in the series which is
Sal
May 18, 2015 added it
DNF at 30%

I guess I'm just not a steampunk fan. Might try this again in the future but I just couldn't get into it.
Natasha Ngan
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling action, a huge cast of memorable characters, and pirate badassery on every page. What more could you want? Loved it!
Catherine
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good honest adventure!
SJH (A Dream of Books)
I didn't enjoy this one at all sadly. I couldn't get into the world that Bryony Pearce had created and found my attention constantly wandering. A shame because it sounded so good.

• Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #1)
  • Outcast (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #4)
  • The Fork, the Witch, and the Worm: Eragon (Tales from Alagaësia #1; The Inheritance Cycle World)
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud  (De brief voor de koning #2)
  • Oath Breaker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #5)
  • Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #2)
  • Knowledge is Beautiful
  • Soul Eater (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #3)
  • Stig of the Dump
  • De brief voor de koning
  • My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1)
  • Ghost Hawk
  • Ghost Hunter (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #6)
  • The Iron Man
  • A Little Book of Language
  • How We Learn: The Surprising Truth About When, Where, and Why It Happens
  • The Art of People: 11 Simple People Skills That Will Get You Everything You Want
Bryony Pearce (formerly McCarthy) lives with her husband and two children in a village on the edge of the Peak District. She completed an English Literature degree at Corpus Christi College Cambridge in 1998 and afterward worked in the business-to-business market research sector. She went freelance in 2004 so she could devote more time to writing. Bryony was a winner of the 2008 Undiscovered ...more

Phoenix Series (2 books)
  • Phoenix Burning (Phoenix Series)