Start by marking “The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)

The Demon in the Wood

(The Shadow and Bone Trilogy #0.5)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  12,042 ratings  ·  1,502 reviews
Limited collector’s edition of the final book features an exclusive Darkling prequel story!

Before he became the Darkling, he was just a lonely boy of extraordinary power. Get a look into the past that forged a brutal and brilliant leader.
Published June 17th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Demon in the Wood, please sign up.
Rachel Najera Not at all! This short story is a little something extra to read if you want more. It doesn't affect the plot of the series so you can read this befor…moreNot at all! This short story is a little something extra to read if you want more. It doesn't affect the plot of the series so you can read this before or after the series or during.(less)

·  12,042 ratings  ·  1,502 reviews

Start your review of The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)
Chelsea Humphrey
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GIVE ME MORE DARKLING! *sigh* So much for trying to wean myself off of my addiction...
~Poppy~
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is no safe place. There is no haven. Not for us.
There will be, he promised in the darkness, new words written upon his heart. I will make one.

Oh my god!! I loved it!! I am not #teamDarkling but I understood that something happen to him to make him like th
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

{spoilers for Ruin and Rising, I guess, if there are still people who do not know}

This novella was torture for my heart. I REGRET NOTHING.

1) Here's something I can say for sure : I will always be divided over The Grisha Trilogy.

2) Here's something I read a lot and that tends to awake my annoyance pretty fast (= that pisses me off, alright) : "people gave the last book a bad rating because they couldn't cope with the ending, how ridiculous, haha"

You know what? Perhaps some readers did - and that'
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Fear is a powerful ally, but feed it too often, make it too strong, and it will turn on you.”

*sighs deeply* If he just would have listened to his mother’s advice. T_T
My heart is bleeding for this young Darkling who always tried to live under a different name and never managed to keep his powers hidden. It was so sweet to see the bond between him and his mother and considering what happens in the Grisha Trilogy to read this actually hurt.

She rose and brushed the hair back from his face. “You r
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Tabetha
Shelves: fantasy

I have never been a huge fan of the Darkling and I guess I never will be. *hides under cover* But it's amazing how a short story could make one of the darkest, most powerful characters of the Grisha community earn at least my empathy. As usual, Ms. Bardugo’s exquisite talent in writing is at work. Thanks to Ate Tabetha’s short but persuasive pre-review that made me read the novella.

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sweetest Ate Tabetha. Sorry I wasn’t able to read a full length novel for you. Harry Pott
Charlotte May
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy, ya
Enjoyed this short story about The Darkling's childhood.
Growing up with just his mother, constantly on the run. We see how the Grisha have to live in hiding, always afraid of a raid; where they will be killed.

They finally come across a village that looks safe for them. His mother warns him to hide his power, as it is much more powerful than a normal Grisha and would cause fear or hatred. Young Eryk (the name he has taken in this instance) is desperate to make friends, but when his power is disc
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Reread.
I CAN'T EVEN!! HOW CAN ANYONE HATE THIS LITTLE MONSTER?!

"Fear is a powerful ally, but feed it too often,
make it too strong, and it will turn on you."

Why aren't these books written from his POV? I can read on and on about the Darkling. These 30 pages broke my heart a million times. I love him even more now if that is even possible.

Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. Shadow and Bone: ★★★★★
2. Siege and Storm: ★★★✩✩
3. Ruin and Rising: ★★★★✩
__________________

I normally don't go in for prequel stories - because I've got so many large tomes calling my name at home already - but I made an exception for this one. I'm just hooked on the world of the Grisha and of course, on the Darkling.

He's an incredibly captivating villain and I can't get enough of him. While this prequel story didn't reveal anything new about the character, it fleshes some great character bui
Sana
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH DARKLING. I LOVE YOU
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
The Darkling was hands-down the best part of this series, with an overwhelmingly fascinating presence-- Of course I loved this prequel story!

Still salty about Ruin and Rising tho and probably will be until I die
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Nov 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
Should I read this and “The Tailor” before I start reading the second book?
✨ A ✨
I'm not a Darkling stan, but I'll admit that he makes a great villain. As usual Leigh's writing was great and I was very interested to learn about the Darkling's past.

I actually felt sorry for him for a while. heh

_______

[Nikolai Series]
King of Scars
Untitled book 2
Nouf *LostinFantasy*
Wow. This is a really short story (30 pages?), but it gives us a pretty clear glimpse into the Darkling's past and how it could shape his ambition and character. There are so many origin stories for villains, but I particularly liked this one because (as tragic as the ending was) the character ended up with goals that sounded more heroic and protective than evil. But of course, it gives you chills knowing how he ends up trying to achieve it.

"He understood then. The Grisha lived as shadows did
Wren (fablesandwren)
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

"He understood then. The Grisha lived as shadows did, passing over the surface of the world, touching nothing, forced to change their shapes and hide in corners, driven by fear as shadows were driven by the sun. No safe place. No haven.

"

This is heartbreaking. I can't really say anything else besides you just break for The Darkling more than you did before.

WrensReads | Goodreads | Twit
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-works
I love The Darklinggggggg, guhhhhh.
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
“Fear is a powerful ally, but feed it too often, make it too strong, and it will turn on you.”

I was not expecting this Novella to be as good as it was. I really enjoyed seeing the Darkling before he became the Darkling! To see the life he had to live and how everyone just wanted to use him, enough to kill for it! He'd make one hell of a trophy!! Every villain has a dark past and I'm sure this wasn't the sum of all he'd gone through. He was just a lonely boy who wanted to be normal, a place to ca
Michelle
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: grishaverse
If there is one villain that I love more than the others, if there is a character who has broken my literary heart without me ceasing to love him... it would be the Darkling. (view spoiler)

"The Demon in the Wood" sheds some light on this dark and magnetic character as it gives us a glimpse of his family, his childhood, and the way he
alana ♡
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I am trash for The Darkling.
I love evil and I love a good villain, so obviously I would love him. Seriously, give me a well-written villain over a good guy any day.
This made me feel really sad for him because he just wanted to fit in somewhere and be normal just for a little while since he spent his life on the run and hiding who he really was. Ugh I just wanted to hug him.

BUT.

This was wayyyy to short. Can we get a whole book just dedicated to The Darkling?! I'd probably sell my soul for it.

Ju
Andreea Pop
Eternal love right here. Too short, but perfect regardless. My precious baby killed me in this novella. AND I AM GRATEFUL.
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Note: Grisha trylogy spoilers ahead!!!

The Darkling remains the best thing in the Grisha trylogy. And I have a bone to pick with Bardugo for the ending she reserved for him.
description

Oh, and don't get me started on those two peasants!
description

Back to the story, it's truly short and it depicts perfectly an amplifier's lifestyle. I was hopeful at first, but when the cards were laid on the table, I couldn't believe my eyes.
Toni
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
“Never let them touch you. Because one touch was enough to reveal it, this gift lurking inside him. It was enough to make him less a boy than a prize.”

MORE. I WANT MORE. Oh darling.

Leigh Bardugo is too good with her novellas.
Lara
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ugh this was so good. Like all Bardugho's books, I did not see that coming :P
Kat
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
This was a short and sweet novella about the Darkling’s beginnings as a young boy in Ravka. I just adored this origin tale as he and his mother wandered the Grisha camps, unable to stay in any place for long, unable to reveal their identities for fear they would be hunted. Without giving too much away, it painted the Darkling (while not excusing his later actions) in a sympathetic light for what he endured as a child, and gave some reference for how he could easily have gone to the dark side and ...more
Tabetha
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come...short, but sweet novella giving a glimpse of The Darkling's life (and dark powers) at age thirteen...
Elle
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story was dark and cruel, but would I expect nothing less from a Darkling tale by Leigh Bardugo. The Demon in the Wood offers a snapshot of The Darkling and his mother’s lives before becoming the daunting figure of the later novels, but even in this narrow sampling there’s wide insight into how he became such a monster.

It’s hard not to empathize with a boy struggling to understand his place in the world as well as his own power. In this prequel he learns a hard lesson, that his abilities m
Sarah Elizabeth

7 out of 10
helena.
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-english
finally some good fucking food.
Sabrina Ye
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars. This prequel of the Darkling definitely earned some more of my love for the grisha series 🙈
description
How many times have we heard the phrase, "Monsters are made, not born"? Truth is, every villain was once an innocent child. No matter what destruction the Darkling has shown he is capable of throughout this trilogy, he has always held a special place in my heart for this reason. Like with Wicked and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, I knew there was a backstory, but in my opinion, The Demon in the Wood is much too short to do the Darkling justice. No matter, it did give me a fair glimpse into his swee
Alexandra Elend Wolf
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, novellas, fantasy
“You read the flow of power the way others chart tides,” she marveled. “It will make you a great leader.”

The Demon in the Woods tell us a little of the past of our ever-delightful Darkling.

Mind you, is a tiny moment in a lifetime but an important one.

A defining one.

The thing is, I can see where he was coming from.

From a lifetime of moments like this. From a lifetime of fear and anxiety and rejection. From a lifetime of being better than the rest. Different. Other.

It has a way

• The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me, #5.5)
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Warm Up  (Villains, #0.5)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)
  • Fracture Me (Shatter Me, #2.5)
  • Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6)
  • COVID-128 (The Lunar Chronicles #4.6)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)
  • The Crown & the Arrow (The Wrath and the Dawn, #0.5)
  • Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)
Leigh Bardugo is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of fantasy novels and the creator of the Grishaverse (coming soon to Netflix) which spans the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, the Six of Crows Duology, The Language of Thorns, and King of Scars— with more to come. Her short stories can be found in multiple anthologies, including the Best American Science Fiction & Fantasy. Her other works include Wo ...more

The Shadow and Bone Trilogy (3 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)