Start by marking “Demelza (Poldark, #2)” as Want to Read:
Demelza (Poldark, #2)

Demelza

(The Poldark Saga #2)

A reissue of the second book in the legendary Poldark series, to tie in with the new BBC series.

Demelza Carne, the impoverished miner's daughter Ross Poldark rescued from a fairground rabble, is now his wife. But the events of these turbulent years test their marriage and their love.

Demelza's efforts to adapt to the ways of the gentry - and her husband - bring her confusio
Published February 12th 2015 by Pan Macmillan (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Demelza, please sign up.
Kristi Richardson I borrowed this one from my library. I was not able to get the first one, however, I have seen the show on PBS so knew the plot and characters.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I will always be Team Demelza

At the back of his mind, Ross was aware of the sound of wind rushing about in the distance. Once, when he glanced out of the bedroom window, his eyes confirmed that the swell had, in fact, quite broken up and the sea was stippled with white-lipped waves, which crossed and recrossed each other in confusion, running heedlessly, colliding, and breaking up into wisps of futile spray. The wind was as yet only gusty on the land, but here and there eddies rushed over the w
Mischenko
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on Shabby Sunday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2018/...

This is one of my favorites out of all the Poldark books. In this installment, Ross Poldark and Demelza are now happily married and giving birth to their first child, Julia. She struggles with the marriage because there are great challenges including Elizabeth’s shadow over Ross. Even though Elizabeth is married to Francis, she will never forget that Ross once loved her and she’s determined to create the best marria
Candi
"Loyalty is not a thing to be bought: it is freely given or withheld."

5 radiant stars! I thought I could perhaps get hooked on the Poldark series, but Demelza, the second book in the series, really sealed the deal for me! There is absolutely no turning back now – I am thoroughly invested in the lives of these complex characters. Winston Graham breathes so much life into each and every one that you feel as if you’ve already known these folks for a long time. You live with them, you love them, you
Anna
The BBC's new version of Poldark ended this weekend with heartbreak and a literal cliff-hanger. Over the past eight episodes (which covered the first two books) I fell head over heels in love with Ross and Demelza, played by the ridiculously handsome Aidan Turner and the beautiful Eleanor Tomlinson. They had so much chemistry, conveying so much emotion, passion and confliction, and they turned me into a swooning pile of mush!

After it finished, I wanted to immediately read the third book in the
Karen
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS

I am completely engrossed in this series now. This is the second book in the Poldark series which was first published back in the 1940's. I was encouraged to read the books after first watching the recently released television series on BBC.

The series centers around the life of Ross Poldark, who is a dark and broody character, arrogant and strong, yet often overly compassionate in his nature. It is the late 1780's and he has returned from war to his home in Cornwall, England, only to fin
Linda
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ross sighed. "You have married into a peculiar family. You must never expect the Poldarks to behave in the most rational manner. I have long since given up expecting it. We are hasty -- quite incredibly hasty, it seems -- and sharp-tempered, strong in our likes and dislikes and unreasonable in them."

Demelza is the second book in the Poldark Series by Winston Graham. This story builds beautifully upon the first book in the series. Ross Poldark, returning to the ruins of his beloved family estate
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Really really loving this series, right now!
Hard to decide which is better the books or the tv adaption because they are both amazing, for real!

Love all the characters, especially Demelza, Ross and Verity...don't really care for Elizabeth, Francis or George much though.
Piper
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, re-read
"Ross," she said, "I should like you to make it up with Francis sometime. It would be better all around."
"Sometime."
"Sometime soon."
"Sometime soon."
He had no heart to argue with her.

The sun shone full upon her face, showing the thin cheeks and the pallid skin.

"When something happens," she said, "like what has just happened to us, it makes all our quarrels seem small and mean, as if we were quarreling when we hadn't the right. Didn't we ought to find all the friendship we can?"
"If friendship is
Sara
Demelza, the second book in the Poldark series, is what second books should be, even better than the first. The story builds to a crescendo, and even though I knew from watching the TV series exactly what was in store, I was glued to every page and full of emotion by the end.

What I love the most about this story is that every character is fully developed and very real. No one is always right, no one always wrong. They do things without fully understanding the consequences of their actions; they
Vikki Patis
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read Demelza, the second in the Poldark series by Winston Graham, for the Cornish Reading Challenge.

If you haven't heard about Poldark yet, where the hell have you been? The brand new series, starring Aiden Turner as Ross Poldark, is currently showing on BBC One (Sundays at 9pm). The show covers the first two books in the series.

I fell in love with the world of Poldark as soon as I picked up the first book, Ross Poldark. Due to my love for Cornwall, I knew I would adore everything abo
Sophia
After reading the first book in the Poldark Saga, I was eager for more of the gritty, atmospheric world set along the Cornish coast in the late eighteen hundreds. The writing, tone, characters, dialogue and setting were of the finest I have read. I was not disappointed when I continued with the story in this second book of the series which really needs to be read in order.

As the title states clearly, this is Demelza's book. She was a waif and an emerging woman in the first book, but this book sh
Diane Barnes
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book is this series was every bit as good as the first, and did not disappoint me at all. At this point, I feel as though I live on the Cornish coast with not only the landed gentry, but the miners and their families as well. And now I can watch the first season of this Masterpiece Theater production, which encompasses the first two novels. Still have a crush on Ross, am best friends with his wife, and there's still a lot of characters to hate and gossip about. Good writing takes this ...more
Holly
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is some of the best historical fiction I've read in a while. I loved the characters, the setting, the relationships... everything. Some of the scenes dealing with the copper company were a bit dull but for the most part I loved it.
Inés Izal
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Demasiado bonico, aunque me han hecho mucho de sufrir.
Lori
Pilar
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Soy fan de el personaje de Demelza, pero tanta descripción minera me lo ha hecho algo pesado. Sin embargo, seguiré con los otros aunque sea con calma.
Jeannie
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, favorites
4.5 I'm starting to get attached to these characters. I feel like I know them. I love the poetic writing.

"The stars moved up the sky, climbing and turning on their endless roundabout. A gentle wind stirred and sighed among the bracken and the brake, stirred and moved and then lay down again to sleep. A cricket began to saw among the gorse, and somewhere overhead a nighthawk cried."

I highly recommend for those who like historical fiction!

Karen
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read was even better than the first time around!
Lucia
Feb 29, 2016 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
DNF

Unfortunately, second book in Poldark series isn't as engaging as first one so I'm putting it aside for now. Hopefully the right mood will strike me one day so I can finish it.
Ceri
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This review was first published in Babblings of a Bookworm: http://babblingsofabookworm.blogspot....

This is book 2 in the Poldark series, so the following may contain some spoilers in relation to the events of book 1, though I've tried to keep them minimal. Read on at your own risk!

Here Demelza begins to really bloom into herself. She begins to gain confidence, both in her marriage and within society, finding that she can hold her own against uncharitable people, and discovering, to her amazemen
Samantha
In this installment, Ross and his young wife Demelza welcome their first child Julia into the world. Demelza struggles with the status she has married into, but her love for Ross hasn't faded and she remains friends with Verity. However, two bitter feuds, a shocking crime, and an unexpected tradgedy threatens everything.
Lisbeth
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-fiction
Poldark series; Ross, Demelza, Jeremy and Warleggan by Winston Graham

Addictive! This is the word to describe what happens when you start reading the first book in this
series. Winston Graham has written historical fiction at its best. Cornwall in the end of the 18th century, where people are mainly depending on the tin and copper mines.

The story starts when Ross, a young man from the higher classes, but without money, comes back after having fought in the American wars. Being rather disillusioned
Marialyce
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-challenge
Great continuation of the Poldark series.
Review to soon follow
Susan
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*
What an interesting, complicated and very likeable character Demelzer is, she is at the core of this excellent second instalment of the Poldark series, and I loved reading about how she grows into her role as the Ross’s wife, adapts to the situations she finds herself in, and copes with the trials and tribulations which beset her.
She’s sometimes a little headstrong, perhaps doesn’t always think things through, but there’s usually always a good intention behind her actions.
To enter into the w
Mary
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say. Demelza has been with me for the past few days and I feel so sad that it's come to an end.
I found this book so engrossing the Sunday dinner was almost late.
Jud made me laugh when he walked down the aisle of the church during evensong a little worse for drink!
It's made me chuckle and some parts were very moving with the plight of Mark Daniel.
The ending was so very sad too and I did feel for Demelza!
This book is so much better than the drama. You get a real feel for the charaters,
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Un gran libro. Ha sido una lectura muy intensa, complicada de dejar de leer. Demelza sin duda es la gran protagonista aunque Ross sigue siendo el mejor personaje, tan complejo y con tantas aristas y contradicciones...
Definitivamente adoro cómo escribe Winston Graham, siempre con la frase perfecta a mano, diciendo lo justo sin florituras y, sin embargo, expresando todo de un modo muy bello y sutil.
Adoro la historia, los personajes y lo que he leído. Estoy deseando seguir sus andanzas y sufrir co
QNPoohBear
Demelza picks up where Ross Poldark left off. With the birth of their first child and the Wheal Leisure project progressing, Ross and Demelza are content. However, the country has been plunged into a depression and many are out of work. Ross champions his friends and workers against a system that increasingly favors the wealthy gentry and nobility. His cousin Francis is on a downward spiral as well and cousin Verity is fading into an unhappy spinster. Demelza, with love in her heart, also champi ...more
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
Over all rating for this one is 3.5 stars. It would've been higher, buuuuut there was just something that ruined it a bit for me.

I'm not quite sure where to start with this review. There is so much strife, struggle, and unrest in this series, it gives a stark picture of what life was like during that time period. The illnesses & medical treatments make me glad I wasn't born back then lol. The economic strain of the mining industry, and the country recovering from a war with the American colo
Rebecca Huston
This one picks right up where Ross Poldark leaves off. All sorts of romantic entanglements, a christening party goes hysterically wrong, a new arrival throws a couple into a tragedy, and be sure to keep the hankies handy. Very well written, full of twists and surprises, and what I really like in historical fiction, characters that you like in spite of themselves. Four stars overall, and very much recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:

Laura Tenfingers
A great follow-up to Ross Poldark and as soon as I turned the last page I was ready to start the next one.

I have two gripes that kept me from giving it 5 stars:

Firstly, my 21st-century sensibilities were ruffled by the sprinkling of patriarchal commentary found throughout. I get that we're in the 18th century and that the author was in the 1940's but did every single female character have to have drank the kool-aid?
He must do as he chose and she, at whatever disappointment, must accept it.
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Reviews 2 50 Feb 18, 2017 03:12PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Your Favourite Moments 9 85 Dec 21, 2016 08:05PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Bastille Day 2 31 Jul 18, 2016 11:52AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: New characters introduced in this book 1 26 Jan 13, 2016 08:18AM
Poldark Saga discussion group 3 25 Dec 06, 2015 08:03PM
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • Isabel the Fair
  • The Ringed Castle (The Lymond Chronicles, #5)
  • Vendetta
  • The Reinvention of Love
  • The King's General
  • What Would Mary Berry Do?
  • Mr. Darcy's Pledge: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (The Darcy Novels, #1)
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • Downton Abbey: The Complete Scripts, Season One
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • The Lost Prince: The Survival of Richard of York
  • In Consequence: A Retelling of North and South
  • Johnny One-Eye: A Tale of the American Revolution
  • The Bad Baron's Daughter
  • A Bachelor Establishment
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature (FRSL) and in 1983 was invested ...more

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark #1)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • Warleggan (Poldark, #4)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)
“Strange sometimes how easy bitter words came, how hard the kind ones.” 25 likes
“A nice frame doesn’t make a nice picture.” 13 likes