Start by marking “Martha Graham: A Dancer's Life” as Want to Read:
Martha Graham: A Dancer's Life

Martha Graham: A Dancer's Life

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Martha Graham, the American dancer, teacher, and choreographer, revolutionized the world of modern dance. She possessed a great gift for revealing emotion through dance, expressing beliefs and telling stories in an utterly new way. Newbery Medalist Russell Freedman documents Martha Graham's life from her birth in 1894 to her final dance performance at the age of seventy-fi ...more
Published April 20th 1998 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Martha Graham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martha Graham

Carmine
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, juvenile
Awesome book about a 20th century icon. I was devastated when this came up last week on a "dusty" list at work, meaning no one had checked it out in so long that it is in consideration for being weeded from the collection. That thought was so unbearable I talked the next patron in the door into taking it home so that the book would gain amnesty. Luckily, the next patrons through the door were a certain trio of sisters who are inquisitive types and avid readers- the sort to give a chance to some ...more
The Badger
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I spent my undergrad years studying modern dance--primarily Graham and Duncan. I learned the necessity of breath, and that movement must be driven by emotion. Most importantly, I learned that there is no "expiration date" for modern dancers, and so I continued to dance and challenge myself. I returned to ballet (after a 15 year hiatus), started jazz, belly dance, west African, hip-hop, and eventually opened my own Classical Pilates studio. The one thing I excelled at in Pilates was my breathing- ...more
Lisa Van Oosterum
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Informative good read about the amazing life of Martha Graham. This book discusses her whole life and provides enough detail to understand. It was in the juvenile section of the library, which tells me that it isn;t about the writing, but about the facts. And that was enough for me.
Mary
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
another great one by freedman, fantastic pics, especially if you like dance. A great book even if you don't
Rebecca
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Written by one of my favorite children's lit bio authors, this explores the life of the great dancer Martha Graham. I kept thinking of my sister Jenny throughout the book.
Kristine
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I knew absolutely nothing about Martha Graham before reading this and came away feeling like I had met her!
Catherine
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very nicely written. A lot of information was given, I had to do a biography and this was a great book to choose!
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Non-fiction. This book was my first introduction to Martha Graham. She was born in Pittsburgh in 1894 and died in 1991. Awesome dancer who invented American modern dance.
Jethro
Jun 21, 2008 added it
Very fast read. It is a good book which makes me wish I was involved in the dance world. Graham was amazing and danced as long as she could, and choreographed until she died.
Caitlin
Feb 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great look into an amazing revolutionary. She's my inspiration for choreography and art and this book is beautiful and well-written. If you are not familiar with dance start with Graham.
Joanna Pilatowicz
Sep 30, 2013
Michele
Apr 18, 2011
Maia
rated it did not like it
Jun 23, 2007
  • Grandmother's Secrets: The Ancient Rituals and Healing Power of Belly Dancing
  • Bill Bruford - The Autobiography: Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks and More
  • Seeds of Change: Planting a Path to Peace
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
Russell Freedman is the award-winning author of 47 books, some of which have been translated into a diverse number of languages, including Japanese, Korean, German, Spanish, Flemish, Arabic and Bengali. But Freedman wasn't always a children's book writer.

He grew up in San Francisco and attended the University of California, Berkeley, and then worked as a reporter and editor for the Associated Pre
More about Russell Freedman...