Jump to ratings and reviews

Strictly No Elephants

When the local Pet Club won’t admit a boy’s tiny pet elephant, he finds a solution—one that involves all kinds of unusual animals in this sweet and adorable picture book.

Today is Pet Club day. There will be cats and dogs and fish, but strictly no elephants are allowed. The Pet Club doesn’t understand that pets come in all shapes and sizes, just like friends. Now it is time for a boy and his tiny pet elephant to show them what it means to be a true friend.

Imaginative and lyrical, this sweet story captures the magic of friendship and the joy of having a pet.

32 pages, Hardcover

First published October 27, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lisa Mantchev

32 books1,307 followers
Lisa Mantchev is a temporally-displaced Capricorn who casts her spells from an ancient tree in the Pacific Northwest. When not scribbling, she is by turns an earth elemental, English professor, actress, artist, and domestic goddess. She shares her abode with her husband, two children, and three hairy miscreant dogs.

She is best known as the author of the young adult fantasy trilogy, The Théâtre Illuminata. Published by Feiwel & Friends (Macmillan,) the series includes the Andre Norton and Mythopoeic awards-nominated EYES LIKE STARS (2009), PERCHANCE TO DREAM (2010), and SO SILVER BRIGHT (2011.) Her Kindle #1 Bestselling young adult steampunk novel, TICKER, is available from Skyscape. Her near-future young adult collaboration with Glenn Dallas, SUGAR SKULLS, is forthcoming from Skyscape.

Her adult urban fantasy collaboration with A.L. Purol, LOST ANGELES, is now available on Kindle along with its sequel, LOOSE CANON.

Her first picture book, STRICTLY NO ELEPHANTS, is now available from Paula Wiseman/S&S, to be followed by SISTER DAY! and JINX AND THE DOOM FIGHT CRIME.

Stay updated with all the fun and glitter at her author website: www.lisamantchev.com

or get your Backstage Pass by becoming a Patron: www.patreon.com/LisaMantchev

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
50 (1%)
1 star
14 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 639 reviews
Profile Image for Iman  Dirige.
11 reviews
April 27, 2022
Our sweet little boy was recently diagnosed with autism - although we’ve been open-minded for the past 26 months as well two months prior to our son’s birth when we were matched through loving open adoption that he could possibly hold atypical complications due to prenatal environmental stressors and neonatal abstinence syndrome, yesterday afternoon was the official diagnosis by our pediatric specialist. Hanai is a foundation within our Hawai’i Nei culture. Healing our children of meth, heroin, and homelessness is one of the greatest gifts of life we’ve ever achieved.

In “celebration” for our little ohana - my beautiful wife & I read this endearing children’s book to our pretty daughter and handsome son.

Actually, a brilliant and kind three year old big sister read this lovely book to her joyful and inquisitive two year old little brother - with the help of their proud Mommy & optimistic Mama.

The gentle flow of words with vibrant illustrations had our two adorable children smiling in delight with this wonderful story immediately - all in the powerful teaching of compassion, acceptance, empathy, kindness, self-esteem, friendship, courage, and inclusion.

Life lessons we hope to continue to instill and share with our two heartbeats for decades to come - whilst serving our country, traveling the world, and immersing ourselves within vibrant cultures on this vast earth as a positively resilient Military/Adoptive/Autism family.

We are a blessed and highly favored Mommy Elephant & Mama Elephant to our two beautiful baby elephants. 'Strictly No Elephants' deserves to be listed as a classic children’s book - in just one day, it has been deemed a favorite within our own humble home of bookworms.🌻

Goodreads review shared publicly December 13th 2018 - coincides with our Pinterest vision boards for our humble Dirige Ohana.🌻
Profile Image for Jasmine from How Useful It Is.
1,217 reviews335 followers
November 15, 2021
Read for my toddler's bedtime. Each kid has a pet... a pet unlike any you are familiar with.. and there's a pet club but one day, one pet was rejected from joining. So the pet owner, upon meeting another owner who was rejected from entering as well, formed a new club. Cute illustrations.

Read from kindle unlimited.
Profile Image for Laura Harrison.
975 reviews111 followers
January 2, 2016
Great story about inclusion and acceptance. Exceptional illustrations. I truly enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Emily.
183 reviews23 followers
February 22, 2020
Well, I'm charmed. What could simply be a silly book about having an unusual pet (which was what I expected when I picked it up, thinking it might work for a pet-themed storytime) becomes a book about friendship--with the refrain "That's what friends do," for ex:

"That's what friends do: lift each other over the cracks."
"That's what friends do: brave the scary things for you."
"Because that's what friends do: never leave anyone behind."

Banned from an existing pet club (because "Strictly no elephants"), an elephant and a boy meet new friends with a variety of animals as they walk home) decide to start a new club where [the sign reads] "ALL ARE WELCOME."

The book closes: "My tiny elephant will give you directions [to the clubhouse] if you need them. Because that's what friends do."

A sweeter, softer book than I usually choose for my storytimes (with 60+ kids, I tend to keep things very high-energy and dramatic), but I will definitely try it in mine (friendship, kindness, or pets theme), and think it will work well for just about anyone who tries it.
Profile Image for Reading_ Tamishly.
3,943 reviews2,167 followers
December 12, 2021
Well I do not appreciate the idea of having wild animals as pets. But I do appreciate the concept of accepting everyone for who they are. Love the illustrations.
Profile Image for Laura.
1,351 reviews199 followers
June 3, 2016

It’s Pet Club Day! A little boy and his tiny pet elephant are looking forward to meeting all the other pets and friends. Once they arrive though, they find a sign declaring—Strictly No Elephants. Both the tiny elephant and the boy are down, down, down in the dumps until they meet up with another unwelcome Pet Club pair. Maybe it’s time for a new club! A club where all are welcome!

Simple, sweet, easy to read words with soft colors and cute characters create a warm, welcoming feel to the book. A book that reveals and shares the meaning of friendship.

A perfect bedtime story in my book.

Profile Image for Amanda.
3,594 reviews30 followers
January 21, 2016
Love the message; the illustrations are gorgeous; and some of the writing just made my heart so happy (example: "His is a very thoughtful sort of walk.")
December 2, 2019
This text is about a boy who has an elephant as a pet. He wants to do normal pet things with his pet elephant. Until one day for Pet Club, there is a sign on the door saying "strictly no elephants!" What will they do now?

This text is cute and engaging for students. I read this to my students and they kept wondering what you do with an elephant as a pet. This keeps students imagination working!

You could connect this text to the text "Same, same, but different"

"Strictly No Elephants!"
Profile Image for Angela.
320 reviews8 followers
February 29, 2016
The illustrations are much better than the text. They really save it from being too preachy and overly sweet. It's a nice concept, though.
Profile Image for Carolyn.
61 reviews1 follower
December 13, 2017
I want a tiny elephant with a red scarf! A sweet story about the importance of inclusion and acceptance of differences. Lovely book.
Profile Image for Kris Dersch.
2,324 reviews14 followers
April 19, 2019
A delightful book. I love the part where they crossed out the parts of their sign that left people out and just went all inclusive.
Profile Image for Kayla.
28 reviews2 followers
September 19, 2022
Que história fofinha lida pelo meu irmão a mim. ❤️🐘
Profile Image for VillaPark Public Library.
858 reviews20 followers
September 3, 2022
A boy and his best elephant pal are so excited to show up to Pet Day at school. But upon arrival, they read a sign that says they’re not allowed. The pair leave feeling disappointed… that is, until they see other classmates with cool, yet unconventional pets. A read that trumpets and triumphs the importance of friendship of all kinds, it makes for an elephant-astic back-to-school book!

Check this book out at the Villa Park Public Library!
Profile Image for Jan Polep.
695 reviews4 followers
December 15, 2015
Gem of a picture book for the K-Grade 2 group. In this day and age of divisiveness, this book brings the message of friendship, inclusion, and acceptance...no matter the person or the pet. When an elephant and a skunk are excluded from a club, two kids are smart enough to start a new club. I loved it and would like to see it in every library.
Profile Image for Kristin.
40 reviews
April 12, 2016
What a sweet book! This would be a great one to share with children for a storytime or discussion on friendship, acceptance of differences, and even pets. The adorable illustrations really share the emotion of the story.
Profile Image for _sniper.force_.
259 reviews54 followers
February 4, 2020
We read this for One Book One School in class. It has amazing drawings and an amazing concept. But some of the animals that the children own don't make sense. And also the fact that they drag the animals with a thin piece of string.

Besides those facts, the story was good!
727 reviews
February 17, 2016
Beautiful story about welcoming and accepting everyone, even Elephants and Skunks, because that is what friends do. Wonderful illustrations.
Profile Image for Jenny.
2,691 reviews25 followers
March 3, 2018
What a sweet story about friendship and inclusion! It's Pet Day, but when the narrator and his pet elephant arrive, there is a sign that says, "Strictly no elephants". When they meet another child with her unwelcome pet, they decide to begin their own club where everyone is welcome.

(Some of the pets really wouldn't make good pets; shouldn't be kept as pets. You may want to discuss this with children...)
Profile Image for Mitchell.
4,439 reviews170 followers
May 14, 2021
You get a recommendation for someone's favorite book. And there's always that concern. And it is concern on both sides. What does it say about someone. And people don't agree on what is good.

But one look at the cover in person and this went to the top of my pile.

And I read it immediately and out loud showing off the pictures.

This is a good one. The concept. The art. The writing. The pacing.

A fine favorite and worth re-reading.

Thanks Steve for sharing.
Profile Image for ChamRun.
149 reviews34 followers
July 29, 2019
اون‌موقع که گفتم یکی رو پسندیدم، می‌خواستم اینو بردارم، بعد یه کتاب باحال‌تر دیدم، اونو برداشتم.
قشنگ بود، همه‌ش رو دوست داشتم ولی پایانش، یه پایان جمع و جورتر تو یه دنیای کوچیک‌تر می‌خواستم.
اول گفتم عیبی نداره خب آخرش رو عوض می‌کنم، ولی حالا به چیزی برداشتم که هنوز نمی‌تونم برداشت درستی از پایانش داشته باشم!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 639 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.