Start by marking “Strictly No Elephants” as Want to Read:
Strictly No Elephants

Strictly No Elephants

When the local Pet Club won’t admit a boy’s tiny pet elephant, he finds a solution—one that involves all kinds of unusual animals in this sweet and adorable picture book.

Today is Pet Club day. There will be cats and dogs and fish, but strictly no elephants are allowed. The Pet Club doesn’t understand that pets come in all shapes and sizes, just like friends. Now it is time
Published 2015 by Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Strictly No Elephants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strictly No Elephants

Start your review of Strictly No Elephants
Sheri
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Friends, just like pets, come in all different varieties. A sweet story of friendship, acceptance, and inclusion.
Iman  Malone-Dirige
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diem, declan
Our sweet little boy was recently diagnosed with autism - although we’ve been open-minded for the past 26 months that he could possibly hold atypical complications due to prenatal environmental stressors and neonatal abstinence syndrome, yesterday afternoon was the official diagnosis by our pediatric specialist.

In “celebration” for our little ohana - my beautiful wife & I read this endearing children’s book to our pretty daughter and handsome son.

Actually, a brilliant three year old big sister
Laura Harrison
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story about inclusion and acceptance. Exceptional illustrations. I truly enjoyed it.
Christie Angleton
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this times infinity!
Emily
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I'm charmed. What could simply be a silly book about having an unusual pet (which was what I expected when I picked it up, thinking it might work for a pet-themed storytime) becomes a book about friendship--with the refrain "That's what friends do," for ex:

"That's what friends do: lift each other over the cracks."
"That's what friends do: brave the scary things for you."
"Because that's what friends do: never leave anyone behind."

Banned from an existing pet club (because "Strictly no elephan
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

It’s Pet Club Day! A little boy and his tiny pet elephant are looking forward to meeting all the other pets and friends. Once they arrive though, they find a sign declaring—Strictly No Elephants. Both the tiny elephant and the boy are down, down, down in the dumps until they meet up with another unwelcome Pet Club pair. Maybe it’s time for a new club! A club where all are welcome!

Simple, sweet, easy to read words with soft colors and cute characters create a warm, welcoming feel to the book. A
Kassiah
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pub-2015, childrens
So sweet. Everyone needs this book and not just because he has a Tiny Elephant for a pet. Adorable.
Kimberly
Absolutely darling.

Used for an elephant-themed storytime on 11/7/17.
Amanda
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love the message; the illustrations are gorgeous; and some of the writing just made my heart so happy (example: "His is a very thoughtful sort of walk.")
_sniper_drawz_
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We read this for One Book One School in class. It has amazing drawings and an amazing concept. But some of the animals that the children own don't make sense. And also the fact that they drag the animals with a thin piece of string.

Besides those facts, the story was good!
Kendra
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. So amazing. Beautiful illustrations and text. Perfect example of pure kindness, no exceptions.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Cybils finalist for best fiction picture book.
Margaret Boling
1/20/2019 ~ Do you want a book to talk about friendship? Setting up classroom guidelines about how to act as a friend? Great illustrations, a diverse range of children (and pets), and a punchy story.
Jessica VanBuren
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
This text is about a boy who has an elephant as a pet. He wants to do normal pet things with his pet elephant. Until one day for Pet Club, there is a sign on the door saying "strictly no elephants!" What will they do now?

This text is cute and engaging for students. I read this to my students and they kept wondering what you do with an elephant as a pet. This keeps students imagination working!

You could connect this text to the text "Same, same, but different"

"Strictly No Elephants!"
Kris Dersch
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidslit, picture-book
A delightful book. I love the part where they crossed out the parts of their sign that left people out and just went all inclusive.
Carolyn
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want a tiny elephant with a red scarf! A sweet story about the importance of inclusion and acceptance of differences. Lovely book.
Jan Polep
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gem of a picture book for the K-Grade 2 group. In this day and age of divisiveness, this book brings the message of friendship, inclusion, and acceptance...no matter the person or the pet. When an elephant and a skunk are excluded from a club, two kids are smart enough to start a new club. I loved it and would like to see it in every library.
Kristin
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What a sweet book! This would be a great one to share with children for a storytime or discussion on friendship, acceptance of differences, and even pets. The adorable illustrations really share the emotion of the story.
The Bougie Twins
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really cute book with a great message about kindness, friendship, inclusion, and acceptance. I highly recommend this book to all parents, teachers, and caregivers.
Mary Anne
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful story about welcoming and accepting everyone, even Elephants and Skunks, because that is what friends do. Wonderful illustrations.
Angela
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
The illustrations are much better than the text. They really save it from being too preachy and overly sweet. It's a nice concept, though.
Pooja
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
All are welcome.

Making sure nobody's left behind. That's what friends are there for.

Love all things elephant.
KC
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Highly enjoyable. Who's to say you can't have a skunk, elephant, or narwhal as a pet?
Jenny
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a sweet story about friendship and inclusion! It's Pet Day, but when the narrator and his pet elephant arrive, there is a sign that says, "Strictly no elephants". When they meet another child with her unwelcome pet, they decide to begin their own club where everyone is welcome.

(Some of the pets really wouldn't make good pets; shouldn't be kept as pets. You may want to discuss this with children...)
Ruth
Apr 25, 2018 added it
Adorable! It was one of those cuteness overload (in the best way) books. I loved seeing the range of unique pets and the message that it’s okay to be a little different and interested in different things.
Cricket Muse
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a deep metaphor about tolerance, inclusion, and encouragement gently hiding within this story about a boy and his little elephant who seek to belong. The text and illustrations team together well, creating a fun, thoughtful story meriting multiple readings.
Tegan
So. Cute! I love the illustrations.
Stacy Fetters
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Never judge a kid by its friendly and weird animal companion.

This is super adorable and it's a great book for a storytime!!
Alisha
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an adorable read. I absolutely loved this book. Author did a great job. I read this for my son's reading time.
Cassandra
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I simply loved this one.

• Stick and Stone
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • The Box Turtle
  • If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Bear Came Along
  • The Big Umbrella
  • All Are Welcome
  • Swashby and the Sea
  • The World Is Not a Rectangle: A Portrait of Architect Zaha Hadid
Lisa Mantchev is a temporally-displaced Capricorn who casts her spells from an ancient tree in the Pacific Northwest. When not scribbling, she is by turns an earth elemental, English professor, actress, artist, and domestic goddess. She shares her abode with her husband, two children, and three hairy miscreant dogs.

She is best known as the author of the young adult fantasy trilogy, The Théâtre Il

News & Interviews