Start by marking “Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952” as Want to Read:
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952

(Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. #1)

A bizarre series of murders and rumors of something worse lead Professor Bruttenholm to send a young Hellboy to a Brazilian village on his first mission. Hellboy and a small group of agents uncover something terrible in the shadows of a sixteenth-century Portuguese fortress...

Collects the five-issue miniseries.
Published August 25th 2015 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1

Start your review of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952
Sam Quixote
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was hoping this one was going to be a throwback of sorts to when Hellboy appeared alongside the likes of Abe Sapien and Professor Trevor Bruttenholm; unfortunately, aside from the Professor making a brief cameo at the start, there’s no sign of any classic BPRD characters in this book, just a group of forgettable military types who accompany a teenage Hellboy on his first mission to Brazil. At least we’re well away from the current state of things in the BPRD series which is a static and increa ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Weird. Yeah, I know that 'weird' is essential to Hellboy. But this was really weird. A hodge podge of horror with science fiction. Hellboy is awesome as always. His team kind of blurs together for me. Good action, but nothing that stood out and made me say wow. Having said that, it's Hellboy, so it's good.
Brandon St Mark
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun read, but I miss Kid Hellboy.
Keen
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok

2.5 Stars!

I’m of the belief that as soon as you start to get more than two or three contributors on board with these sorts of graphic franchises then it quickly becomes a case of too many cooks spoil the broth and you can quickly end up with all sorts of problems.

This is my first encounter with Hellboy, and although this had some promising hints of good ideas and intriguing plots, none of them were fully explored or realised, and overall this didn’t really feel cohesive at all, the rhythm and th
Jay
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-horror, comics
A prequel to the main Hellboy series, this relates an early mission of Red's, with Nazis, monkeys and traitors all involved. The art is moodily awesome, the script is the usual understated Mignola greatness, and the support characters are a lot of fun. Really, it's a lot of fun, and can serve as an intro to the BPRD universe, as knowledge of Hellboy and Co. isn't necessary, though it adds a little.
Orrin Grey
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola
A ruined fort. Ancient idols and Lovecraftian horrors. Nazi mad science experiments. A talking alligator. A vampire monkey. This is such delightfully classic Hellboy stuff that it's impossible to not feel like the new Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. series is a homecoming of sorts. I always hate to say this, because it's not like the artist did anything wrong, but Alex Maleev's work doesn't seem to fit into the overall Mignolaverse gestalt as well as some others, though he definitely captures some stri ...more
Logan
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great Story! So i have not read the original Hellboy run, and since this is a prequel, i thought i'd collect this as a starting point. It's 1952, and Hellboy is going on his first mission, to Brazil to investigate strange activity. The art is decent, and the story and dialogue was well done! Also nice to see Hellboy fight the paranormal for the first time!
Juho Pohjalainen
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Hellboy's first day out. He's grown up fast - he's like eight years old in this but already an adult - but I think there was a missed opportunity there where they could've had him behave a little more like a kid, or otherwise immature, rather than being almost the same mentally as well as in the present day. A bit clueless at first, then it's to monster-punching, and so much for character growth.

It's a fairly forgettable story on the whole, by Hellboy standards, introducing a bunch of new charac
Timothy Boyd
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very nice story of the early days of the Hellboy character. As always nice art and story by Mignola. Very recommended to comic fans.
Canavan
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
✭✭✭½

Given that the Mignolaverse seems these days so thoroughly drenched in a sort of post-apocalyptic dreariness, this collection (the first in a new series) is kinda refreshing. The story, co-authored by Mignola and John Arcudi, harks back to some of the early B.P.R.D. issues. If I have a complaint, it’s that many of plot elements seem unoriginal — Mignola too frequently seems to fall back on (view spoiler)
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I miss Mike Mignola's art, but Alex Maleev is one of my favorites, so I have no complaints about him filling in. His covers are particularly beautiful- I love love love the one for issue 3 of this collection.

The story if fairly classic Hellboy, with a nice look back at young HB, but after Hellboy in Hell, Vol. 1: The Descent, this feels a little bit like a step back. Still an excellent read, but what I really want is the next Hellboy in Hell.
John
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Now this is more like it. A Hellboy/B.P.R.D book with an actually interesting story! I find so many of these titles to be a bit too leisurely and rambling in their plotting, whereas this one is fast paced, intriguing and fun. And yes, I did enjoy the darker more realistic art style of Alex Maleev here. One of
the better volumes featuring these characters.
Aaron
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
HELLBOY RETROSPECTIVE 2016
Complaints that this is a bit formulaic are justified, but the Hellboy formula is just so damn good... still not the best foot forward for what appears to be the launch of a new series.
Baal Of
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cool Hellboy story about his first field mission. Contains the usual weird creatures, undead, Nazis, cyborgs, and betrayal within the ranks. The artwork is top-notch as usual.
Monkey Feyerabend
5/10
This comics was able to disappoint even my already low expectations.
Hellboy's plots tend to follow fixed formulaic patterns, we all know that. Now, when Mignola is doing his number all alone - or keeping a significative control over his creature, as in the story arc drawn by Duncan Fegredo - the result basically always work, no matter how formulaic and repetitive the story may be. Sign that the magic of Mignola's comics is to be find anywhere else than in his plots.
But as soon as the 'Migno
Wombo Combo
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
This one feels like a waste of time. I've only read the main Hellboy series and haven't read any other BPRD stuff, so maybe this story is better within the context of the larger universe, but as a stand alone story, this sucks.

Basically, what happens is Hellboy and some BPRD people investigate a small town because they've received a report there's a monster, so it starts off as a pretty standard Hellboy story. Then, the good guys stumble upon a giant Nazi Frankenstein army of people and fight s
Meghannf
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I received this volume, I didn’t expect to discover episodes of stories. Think of short stories but with visual support. I was actually pleased with how the short stories unraveled through the volume. Each of them are interesting and introduce new creatures.
The visual storytelling is definitely on point. As you learn and try to investigate along the supernatural expert team, you try to catch glimpses of clues thanks to the pencil work. It took care of strong body postures leading to a perf
Col
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. is a prequel series to Hellboy. You don't really need to know any of the lore to get into it, and I actually think it might serve as an excellent introduction to the franchise. They concern Hellboy's first missions in the early 1950s. There's a good mixture of nazi superscience, folkloric monsters, and monster-movie mutations in the series as a whole. The earlier time period also allows it focus on both new characters for the B.P.R.D. operatives, and some older ones from ...more
Edouard Stenger
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two years ago I was fortunate enough to be able to read most of the Hellboy graphic novels from the Seattle Central Library. Now, I never see any volume. Perhaps a conspiracy ?

the Heall on Earth series doesnt interest me. I am all for Lovecraftian horrors and how they could / may cause the Apocalypse but I am not interested in the end of time thing actually happening, either in reality or in fiction. Too much suffering.

Now, let us get back to Hellboy and the BPRD. I LOVED it. Great graphics, g
Cale
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This early adventure of Hellboy takes place in Brazil and features Frankenstein monkeys, Nazis with neck braces, and one really big corpse. There's some decent action but not a lot of character development, and it doesn't really have much grounding in myths and legends (aside from a shoe-horned in sequence with a talking alligator). There is a fair bit of punching and Hellboy getting pummeled, and a little bit of back story and development around Bruttenholm and his Russian opposites. The art is ...more
Bill Coffin
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
We have long known that Hellboy’s adventures extended back for decades, and now begins the chronicle of those early days, before the BPRD became what we know it to be in the modern day, with Los Sherman, Abe Sapien and the others. This is a smaller agency, trying to find its footing, staffed mainly by ex-military for whom WWII is still a recent memory. Hellboy is kind of a kid in an adult’s body, and the result is a fun throwback to the kinds of adventures we saw in the first Hellboy volumes, be ...more
Robert Hudder
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hellboy's first adventure. Yeah, there were other year's in this series but this is the first time he has gone out as an agent in the field. It is funny reading this after seeing how Hellboy turns out. It makes me think that there was a long plan when some of these stories were plotted out. It does make me appreciate Mignola's writing more. I have admired the way he mixes different legends and mythologies but then putting them in a modern context the way he does... well, it rivals some other aut ...more
Rajiv
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first foray into Hellboy graphic novels, and I was honestly expecting more.

I'm coming into the series having seen the movies. I was expecting a lot of action and familiar characters, none of which I got. But here's the thing: it was a good read.

I can see the appeal of Hellboy, especially when it jumps into the weird and absurd. I can see bits and pieces the movies took from here, especially the villain.

The story itself was well done. I look forward to reading volume 2 now that I know
Anthony
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was fun, but short. It also seems like Hellboy isn't really characterized fully. I know that he's basically a kid in 1952. Maybe like an 11-year old? But I know some pretty precocious 11-year olds. I see a missed opportunity here for comedy, or self-discovery, or some kind of revelation about ole Red. Instead, we get a weird monster hunt and a bunch of partly-disposable BPRD agents.

It was fun. Like candy.
Zack! Empire
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-horse
So I guess I'm a Hellboy fan now! Really liked this story of his very first mission. Kind of wish it had been something bigger, but it was also cool that it was so low key. Like, it's just a mission, it's not "The First Hellboy Mission (Oh,My God)".
The artwork is cool but Hellboy is only a teen here and looks basically the same as he does in the 90's. I wish they would have made him a bit leaner, like Mignola seems to be doing on the cover.
Page
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, horror
I have a soft spot for Mignola's Hellboy so this was an easy sell and a quick read. I read the individual issues rather than the collected but it's the same story -- creepy Lovecraftian horror and fighting Nazis. What more can I want?
Travis Hartman
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Another great Hellboy story by creator Mike Mignola. The story takes place early in Hellboy's career, when he's little more than a teenager. You've got the usual Gothic trappings and supernatural goings on and some great visuals by Alex Maleev. It's a slight story but lots of fun.
Lacee
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one, it reminded me of when I first picked up the Hellboy series. I'm usually skeptical of prequels but I think this one worked. We see a younger, more inexperienced Hellboy on his first mission and thankfully he still feels like the character we all know and love.
Gary Fortuin
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A so so story but great art as usual!
Megan
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to Hellboy without having to go way back to the beginning. Also, evil monkeys will never not be funny.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints
  • Spider-Man: Life Story
  • Doctor Star & the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows
  • DC: The New Frontier, Volume 2
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. (5 books)
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: 1953
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: 1954
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: 1955
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 5: 1956

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...