Start by marking “Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952” as Want to Read:
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952

(Hellboy and the B.P.R.D #1)

A bizarre series of murders and rumors of something worse lead Professor Bruttenholm to send a young Hellboy to a Brazilian village on his first mission. Hellboy and a small group of agents uncover something terrible in the shadows of a sixteenth-century Portuguese fortress...

Collects the five-issue miniseries.
Published August 25th 2015 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1

Sam Quixote
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was hoping this one was going to be a throwback of sorts to when Hellboy appeared alongside the likes of Abe Sapien and Professor Trevor Bruttenholm; unfortunately, aside from the Professor making a brief cameo at the start, there’s no sign of any classic BPRD characters in this book, just a group of forgettable military types who accompany a teenage Hellboy on his first mission to Brazil. At least we’re well away from the current state of things in the BPRD series which is a static and increa ...more
George K.
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Χθες κατέβηκα στο Μοναστηράκι μετά από αρκετούς μήνες και, εκτός από τα διάφορα βιβλία που αγόρασα, πέτυχα και το συγκεκριμένο κόμικ που κυκλοφόρησε πρόσφατα στα ελληνικά. Ήταν ένα κόμικ που αργά ή γρήγορα θα αγόραζα στην κανονική του τιμή, γιατί μου είχε τραβήξει από την αρχή το ενδιαφέρον, αλλά ας όψεται αυτή η κωλοφαρδία που με δέρνει συχνά-πυκνά όταν πρόκειται για αγορές βιβλίων, κόμικς κλπ. Έτσι μου κόστισε όλα κι όλα πέντε ευρώ!

Μέχρι τώρα, η μόνη μου επαφή με το σκοτεινό και περιπετειώδες
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Weird. Yeah, I know that 'weird' is essential to Hellboy. But this was really weird. A hodge podge of horror with science fiction. Hellboy is awesome as always. His team kind of blurs together for me. Good action, but nothing that stood out and made me say wow. Having said that, it's Hellboy, so it's good.
Brandon St Mark
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun read, but I miss Kid Hellboy.
James Adams
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, modern-horror
A prequel to the main Hellboy series, this relates an early mission of Red's, with Nazis, monkeys and traitors all involved. The art is moodily awesome, the script is the usual understated Mignola greatness, and the support characters are a lot of fun. Really, it's a lot of fun, and can serve as an intro to the BPRD universe, as knowledge of Hellboy and Co. isn't necessary, though it adds a little.
Orrin Grey
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola
A ruined fort. Ancient idols and Lovecraftian horrors. Nazi mad science experiments. A talking alligator. A vampire monkey. This is such delightfully classic Hellboy stuff that it's impossible to not feel like the new Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. series is a homecoming of sorts. I always hate to say this, because it's not like the artist did anything wrong, but Alex Maleev's work doesn't seem to fit into the overall Mignolaverse gestalt as well as some others, though he definitely captures some stri ...more
Logan
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great Story! So i have not read the original Hellboy run, and since this is a prequel, i thought i'd collect this as a starting point. It's 1952, and Hellboy is going on his first mission, to Brazil to investigate strange activity. The art is decent, and the story and dialogue was well done! Also nice to see Hellboy fight the paranormal for the first time!
Timothy Boyd
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very nice story of the early days of the Hellboy character. As always nice art and story by Mignola. Very recommended to comic fans.
Gerardo
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hellboy
Hellboy, anni '50, Nazisti, Esoterismo. Il meglio dell'ispirazione di Mignola, un ritorno alle storie delle origini.
Canavan
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
✭✭✭

Given that the Mignolaverse seems these days so thoroughly drenched in a sort of post-apocalyptic dreariness, this collection (the first in a new series) is kinda refreshing. The story, co-authored by Mignola and John Arcudi, harks back to some of the early B.P.R.D. issues. If I have a complaint, it’s that many of plot elements seem unoriginal — Mignola too frequently seems to fall back on (view spoiler)
Sorcered
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Prima misiune a lui Hellboy, povestita la mai bine de 20 de ani de la aparitia personajului... :)
Da, Hellboy & BPRD: 1952 e fan service, dar are tot ce-i trebuie: tradatori, maimute cu lampi catodice infipte in cranii, zeitati malefice stravechi, morti vii, experimente naziste, diavoli cu chip de ingeri - e o dementa totala, amuzanta si distractiva. Am citit tot volumul dintr-o suflare, zambind ca un dement (atunci cand unele replici nu ma faceau pur si simplu sa pufnesc in ras - si un Hellb
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I miss Mike Mignola's art, but Alex Maleev is one of my favorites, so I have no complaints about him filling in. His covers are particularly beautiful- I love love love the one for issue 3 of this collection.

The story if fairly classic Hellboy, with a nice look back at young HB, but after Hellboy in Hell, Vol. 1: The Descent, this feels a little bit like a step back. Still an excellent read, but what I really want is the next Hellboy in Hell.
John
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Now this is more like it. A Hellboy/B.P.R.D book with an actually interesting story! I find so many of these titles to be a bit too leisurely and rambling in their plotting, whereas this one is fast paced, intriguing and fun. And yes, I did enjoy the darker more realistic art style of Alex Maleev here. One of
the better volumes featuring these characters.
Aaron
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
HELLBOY RETROSPECTIVE 2016
Complaints that this is a bit formulaic are justified, but the Hellboy formula is just so damn good... still not the best foot forward for what appears to be the launch of a new series.
Baal Of
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cool Hellboy story about his first field mission. Contains the usual weird creatures, undead, Nazis, cyborgs, and betrayal within the ranks. The artwork is top-notch as usual.
Wombo Combo
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
This one feels like a waste of time. I've only read the main Hellboy series and haven't read any other BPRD stuff, so maybe this story is better within the context of the larger universe, but as a stand alone story, this sucks.

Basically, what happens is Hellboy and some BPRD people investigate a small town because they've received a report there's a monster, so it starts off as a pretty standard Hellboy story. Then, the good guys stumble upon a giant Nazi Frankenstein army of people and fight s
Meghannf
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I received this volume, I didn’t expect to discover episodes of stories. Think of short stories but with visual support. I was actually pleased with how the short stories unraveled through the volume. Each of them are interesting and introduce new creatures.
The visual storytelling is definitely on point. As you learn and try to investigate along the supernatural expert team, you try to catch glimpses of clues thanks to the pencil work. It took care of strong body postures leading to a perf
Col
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. is a prequel series to Hellboy. You don't really need to know any of the lore to get into it, and I actually think it might serve as an excellent introduction to the franchise. They concern Hellboy's first missions in the early 1950s. There's a good mixture of nazi superscience, folkloric monsters, and monster-movie mutations in the series as a whole. The earlier time period also allows it focus on both new characters for the B.P.R.D. operatives, and some older ones from ...more
Edouard Stenger
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two years ago I was fortunate enough to be able to read most of the Hellboy graphic novels from the Seattle Central Library. Now, I never see any volume. Perhaps a conspiracy ?

the Heall on Earth series doesnt interest me. I am all for Lovecraftian horrors and how they could / may cause the Apocalypse but I am not interested in the end of time thing actually happening, either in reality or in fiction. Too much suffering.

Now, let us get back to Hellboy and the BPRD. I LOVED it. Great graphics, g
Cale
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This early adventure of Hellboy takes place in Brazil and features Frankenstein monkeys, Nazis with neck braces, and one really big corpse. There's some decent action but not a lot of character development, and it doesn't really have much grounding in myths and legends (aside from a shoe-horned in sequence with a talking alligator). There is a fair bit of punching and Hellboy getting pummeled, and a little bit of back story and development around Bruttenholm and his Russian opposites. The art is ...more
Paul Mirek
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spies, horror, superhero
Seeing Alex Maleev take on Hellboy is a treat, but this is an otherwise formulaic entry in the ever-expanding Mignolaverse. The pairing of the series' usual Lovecraftian themes and Cold War espionage sounds great on paper, and co-writers Mignola and Arcudi offer some tantalizing hints of the post-WWII occult global landscape in the first issue. Once the main storyline kicks in, though, the plot becomes a slog through generic action sequences and tired concepts that I found familiar even as a cas ...more
Rajiv
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first foray into Hellboy graphic novels, and I was honestly expecting more.

I'm coming into the series having seen the movies. I was expecting a lot of action and familiar characters, none of which I got. But here's the thing: it was a good read.

I can see the appeal of Hellboy, especially when it jumps into the weird and absurd. I can see bits and pieces the movies took from here, especially the villain.

The story itself was well done. I look forward to reading volume 2 now that I know
Robert Hudder
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hellboy's first adventure. Yeah, there were other year's in this series but this is the first time he has gone out as an agent in the field. It is funny reading this after seeing how Hellboy turns out. It makes me think that there was a long plan when some of these stories were plotted out. It does make me appreciate Mignola's writing more. I have admired the way he mixes different legends and mythologies but then putting them in a modern context the way he does... well, it rivals some other aut ...more
Zack! Empire
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-horse
So I guess I'm a Hellboy fan now! Really liked this story of his very first mission. Kind of wish it had been something bigger, but it was also cool that it was so low key. Like, it's just a mission, it's not "The First Hellboy Mission (Oh,My God)".
The artwork is cool but Hellboy is only a teen here and looks basically the same as he does in the 90's. I wish they would have made him a bit leaner, like Mignola seems to be doing on the cover.
Anthony
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was fun, but short. It also seems like Hellboy isn't really characterized fully. I know that he's basically a kid in 1952. Maybe like an 11-year old? But I know some pretty precocious 11-year olds. I see a missed opportunity here for comedy, or self-discovery, or some kind of revelation about ole Red. Instead, we get a weird monster hunt and a bunch of partly-disposable BPRD agents.

It was fun. Like candy.
Travis Hartman
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Another great Hellboy story by creator Mike Mignola. The story takes place early in Hellboy's career, when he's little more than a teenager. You've got the usual Gothic trappings and supernatural goings on and some great visuals by Alex Maleev. It's a slight story but lots of fun.
Page
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, horror
I have a soft spot for Mignola's Hellboy so this was an easy sell and a quick read. I read the individual issues rather than the collected but it's the same story -- creepy Lovecraftian horror and fighting Nazis. What more can I want?
Koen Claeys
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good read. Hellboy in the kind of adventure that made me love the character 25 years ago.
Megan
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to Hellboy without having to go way back to the beginning. Also, evil monkeys will never not be funny.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I was disappointed that Mignola handed the task of illustrator off to someone else but in the end it's hard to hate on a Hellboy adventure.
  • Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 3: The Mysteries of Unland (Witchfinder #3)
  • The Marquis, Volume 1: Inferno
  • Veil, Vol. 1
  • Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)
  • Grendel Omnibus, Vol. 1: Hunter Rose
  • Hellboy: The Lost Army
  • American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from the 1940's Until Now
  • Clive Barker's Next Testament Vol. 1
  • Witch Doctor, Volume 2: Mal Practice
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D (4 books)
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: 1953