Start by marking “Frankenstein (The Shadow Of Frankenstein #1)” as Want to Read:
Frankenstein (The Shadow Of Frankenstein #1)

Frankenstein (The Shadow Of Frankenstein #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Following his lab's explosion, Henry and Elizabeth Frankenstein head to London for a rest (and to avoid possible criminal charges). The monster, still alive, follows, but winds up in the Whitechapel district. There, he's mistaken for a disfigured, mentally disabled man and befriended by local prostitutes. When one of the whores is horribly murdered, the creature roams the ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 275 pages
Published August 8th 2006 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Frankenstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frankenstein

Julie
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm Frankenstein obsessed, and this novel filled my needs well. The monster was multi-faceted, with stellar backstory, beautiful simplicity/complexity, and was a creature I rooted for and knew was doomed. That's the kind of heartbreak I want in a Frankenstein novel. The take on Jack the Ripper was incredibly fresh, and dare I say, FUN. And I truly enjoyed the story of Frankenstein himself, and his wife Elizabeth. It's not always easy to make a reader sympathetic with the good doctor, but Petruch ...more
Don Weiss
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
In the kingdom of the Classic Universal Monsters, Frankenstein’s Monster reigns supreme. James Whale’s 1931 movie spawned seven sequels and made Boris Karloff a household name. THE SHADOW OF FRANKENSTEIN may not be an official part of the film series, but it’s a worthy entry in its own right.

Taking place immediately after the conclusion of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, the story finds Henry Frankenstein and his wife Elizabeth fleeing their village, trailed by a certain determined Inspector who holds He
Travis
Jul 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: classic-monsters
As a huge Universal monster junkie I had to try Dark Horses novels.
I was very impressed with how much the writer worked to fit this into the continuity of the movies ( it takes place between ;Bride of' and 'Son of'), as well as a cute mention of something from another universal movie.
Every scene with the monster is great. He is sympathetic and yet when he cuts loose a frightening force of nature.
The Doctor, despite everything, comes across as fairly sympathetic. He's caused a lot of his own trou
Matt Mazenauer
Jul 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
There is no way a Frankenstein vs Jack The Ripper book could possibly be good. But oh my god, this actually is! The monster is compelling, the passages from his perpective are fascinating. Frankenstein's treatment of his wife and her decent into madness actually gave me chills. The realism and horror of this is amazing for a book not even based on the Mary Shelley book, but instead based on the first two Universal movies.
Mark Kosobucki
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set after Frankenstein makes the bride and his lab blows up. Take Frankenstein, his wife and servants, the monster and toss Jack the Ripper into the mix. It's a little long but still worth reading.
Quentin Wallace
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. It's basically a sequel to THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN where the monster survives (although the Bride may or may not have survived, it's not mentioned.)

So Dr. Frankenstein flees to London with the monster in pursuit, where we find Jack the Ripper has returned. Of course before long all of the characters meet and things take off from there.

Some further backstory is given to the Frankenstein legend, as we find out more about the damaged brain used to create the monster. Wh
Linty
Mar 25, 2012
Starhistnake
Jun 06, 2012
George Barker
rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2009
Robert
Aug 10, 2010
Doug Ford
Jun 08, 2013
Stefan Petrucha (born January 27, 1959) is an American writer for adults and young adults. He has written graphic novels in the The X-Files and Nancy Drew series, as well as science fiction and horror.
Born in the Bronx, he has spent time in the big city and the suburbs, and now lives in western Massachusetts with his wife, fellow writer Sarah Kinney, and their daughters. At times he has been a tec
More about Stefan Petrucha