Start by marking “The Paper Princess” as Want to Read:
The Paper Princess

The Paper Princess

(Regency Royal #13)

London was all on edge and astir to have in its midst the exquisite Princess Felicity of Brasnia. What scandal would ensue should society discover that the bejeweled heir to a royal throne was in truth Miss Felicity Channing of Cornwall, fleeing a match she did not want and that had been arranged by her conniving stepfather!
But how long could Felicity carry off this lively
Published November 22nd 2011 by RosettaBooks (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Paper Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paper Princess

Start your review of The Paper Princess
Mela
Fast, enjoyable reading.

The story, or rather some details and plot twists were original (e.g. an attitude of Mr. Barchester regarding engagements of his daughter, or what became of Bessie). Some of them really funny. And like Annecelestet wrote:The descriptions of the country of Brasnia are hilarious.

I couldn't stop thinking how the story would have looked like if Heyer had written it, because there was a big potential and interesting characters. Lord Bellamy - classical Regency hero ;-), Felici
Grace
A Regency novel smack dab in the middle of Marion Chesney's romance writing career, published in 1988.

This book had a slightly different plot from Marion Chesney's usual murderous villains, with the main storyline about being an impostor. She utilized this storyline from time to time, but only a couple have this as the main impetus (case in point, her book Lucy) while the rest are used as gimmicks by one of the characters for only a brief span of time (say, in Poor Relations).

Felicity Channing
Leslie
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic, regency, ku
Note it did not take me almost 2 months to read this lovely book, I got distracted by something shiny and finished it this evening.

This is a Marion Chesney formulaic Regency with a guaranteed HEA. But poor Miss Felicity Channing has had a difficult life, first her father died and left her poor mother with a castle and 4 daughters. he mother remarried a horrid man and soon fell ill. AS her daughter grew she declined and at last there was only Felicity - her Step-father having married the other o
Maggie K
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Georgette Heyer may provide a more sophisticated storyline and narration, Marion Chesney gives you light, almost silly, romances filled with humor, mostly because of how frequently the narration points out the outrageous societal customs of the age, as well as some pretty silly, and pretty witty, characters. I know, going into a Marion Chesney novel, that I am unlikely to find deep themes or sophisticated plotlines -- which is why I read them! Now, this is not to say that the romance itsel ...more
Lisa Brown
Miss Felicity Channing is trapped. Her step father is in the process of marrying her off to an eldery and lecherous man, and her only hope is to escape with the family jewels. With her childhood governess and a loyal groom as her only partners in the endeavor, she attempts to hide in plain site by claiming to be the princess of the made up country of Brosnia. However, not only is her step father still searching for her, but Felicity comes face to face with a gentleman that she had met while stil ...more
Helene Harrison
Review - I was a little disappointed in this book - having read quite a few of Chesney's / Beaton's Regency romances before I expected more from this one. I didn't particularly warm to either Felicity or Arthur Bessamy, though the descriptions of Brasnia (a made-up country where 'Princess Felicity' supposedly came from) were hilarious. I did really like Miss Chubb as she seemed to attempt to rein Felicity in as her duty, but she also seemed to enjoy joining Felicity in her exploits.

Genre? - Hist
Lou
A fun, light read laced with some gentle satire - society believes Felicity's masquerade because no-one wants to risk looking stupid by admitting they've never heard of 'Brasnia' or its royal family. Several characters - the stepfather, the butler, the stuck-up fiancée - deliberately lean towards caricature, and Miss Chubb(inski) is clearly living her best am-dram life. The hero is aware of Felicity's secrets pretty much the whole time, so there's barely any conflict caused by that.

All in all,
Kate  Maxwell
Marion Chesney (MC Becton) constantly astounds me with her unique plots. Yes, we all know that it will end well, but the journey is definitely part of this book's (and author's) charm. What is one to do when the mother dies (and tells you about the family jewels) and the wicked step-father wants to marry you off to a decaying, lecherous man living in ruin? You take the jewels and become the princess of a distant land, of course. Quite a fun lark this story way.
Ellen
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this one might be my favorite of the bind up
Mary
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna
Not the best of the Chesney regency romances, but still a fun listen. More far-fetched than usual plotting (faking deaths and imposters etc).
Emily
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The new covers have me questioning if I read these as a teen? oh well, nostalgia inducing in any case.
Tam
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a light romance read set in Regency England. If you like Regency romances and really like your detail (say that you find in a Georgette Heyer) then this might not be the book for you.

Our heroine (Felicity) escapes her evil step father and an arranged marriage to a hideous older man by faking her own death and stealing (although they were left to her along with everything else) her mother's jewels. We then take a trip to fantasy land when our heroine sets herself up to be the Princess of
Damaskcat
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a run-of-the-mill Regency romance which has its moments of humour and involves some interesting characters. I did like Felicity herself – the heroine – though she actually seemed less resourceful than her companion, the redoubtable Miss Chubb.

Both women enjoy dressing up as men and deceiving the local population (who are probably not deceived at all) and it is this skill which allows them to escape the clutches of Mr Palfrey, Felicity’s parsimonious step-father. Taking a faithful retaine
Jodi Ralston
A good romp, with a good voice, but it seemed less believable than the others I've read so far. I think the author was even aware of it, for the last chapter did a lot toward making it more believable, but still ... it wasn't quite there.

This one is also a border-line non-sweet; I almost labeled it "mostly sweet." But it wasn't quite there.

This one included some more interesting details of the Regency era. But I also noticed more of the same pattern to the author. She has certain events she like
Jaimey
As far as Marion Chesney books go, this one is not as funny as others, but I've found her series romances are funnier than her stand-alones seem to be. Nonetheless, this book is amusing and doesn't require an emotional investment to enjoy it. All in all, an entertaining escape.
Lauren
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
You know those overwrought gothic novels Julia Quinn's characters read? Miss Butterworth and the Mad Baron, etc? This is right up there with those, in terms of plot.

Two stars because it was actually kind of charming, in a ridiculous way.
Maryanne
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
Fun read as always. Some very funny moments.
Stephani Austin
Nice story. Dated style of writing though.
Gail B Perry
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for a rainy day.

Not great literature, but good writing and characters. A fun read. in fact I enjoyed it so much that I read the rest of the series.
Denae
3 uncomfortable outfits

utterly silly, but a good read for something before sleep
Sarah Asp
Ultimately forgettable but a perfect light confection for bedtime reading, especially when you've been stressed and need an escape.
Holly Adamson
I did not enjoy this as much much as I thought I would
Linda Cole
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely

Fast forward for love and romance with treachery abound. Characters are unique and fun to read about. Dastardly villains who get what they deserve
Anneceleste
The descriptions of the country of Brasnia are hilarious.
Laurie
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
eh.
Kathy Rogers
This novel has all the ear marks of a regency romance, an evil stepfather, an understanding companion, a lovely innocent girl, and an insolent peer. In addition, its humor is a refreshing addition.
LaOra
Jan 28, 2020
Nina Clare
Nov 30, 2019

• Lady Anne's Deception
  • Molly (The Daring Debutantes, #2)
  • Henrietta (Regency Love, #1)
  • My Dear Duchess
  • Susie (Ladies in Love series Book 4)
  • Poppy (Ladies in Love series Book 7)
  • Tilly
  • Kitty
  • Maggie (Ladies in Love series Book 6)
  • Ginny (Ladies in Love series Book 2)
  • Lucy
  • Sally
  • The Westerby Sisters (Westerby, #2)
  • Dancing on the Wind (The Regency Intrigue Series Book 8)
  • Summer of Discontent (Kindle Single)
  • Daisy
  • A Sinister Establishment (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries, #6)
  • A Going Concern (Inspector Sloan #14)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly rose

Regency Royal (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Westerby Inheritance
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • Lady Anne's Deception
  • Lady Margery's Intrigue (Regency Royal, #4)
  • The Savage Marquess (The Royal Ambition Series Book 2)
  • My Dear Duchess
  • The Highland Countess (Cotillion Regency Romance, #10) (Regency Royal, #7)
  • Lady Lucy's Lover (Regency Royal, #8) (Dukes & Desires, #6)
  • The Ghost and Lady Alice (Regency Royal, #9)
  • Love and Lady Lovelace  (Regency Royal, #10)

News & Interviews