Start by marking “Man Swarm: How Overpopulation is Killing the Wild World” as Want to Read:
Man Swarm: How Overpopulation is Killing the Wild World

Man Swarm: How Overpopulation is Killing the Wild World

Overpopulation is Real.

Now at over seven billion and counting, renowned visionary conservationist and global thinker Dave Foreman helps us understand that only by stabilizing and reducing human population can we stop wrecking our home – Earth.

And it is being driven by one species – Us.

Read Man Swarm, and you will know the truths about overpopulation and population growth.
Paperback, 2, 196 pages
Published January 22nd 2015 by LiveTrue Books (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Man Swarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man Swarm

Start your review of Man Swarm: How Overpopulation is Killing the Wild World
Mark
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well-written and informative, renowned conservationist Dave Foreman offers an insightful and well-rounded look at the Earth’s overpopulation problem, how it affects all the other ‘earthlings’ (the creatures we share the planet with) and how overpopulation will destroy almost every level of life to the point of unsustainability, and then extinction. Quite a depressing concept, and easy enough for people to dismiss as something they don’t really need to worry about in their lifetime. But the dire ...more
Tina Cipolla
Sep 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Misanthropist.

Misogynist.

Possibly even racist.

This book is an unabashed polemic on the issue of overpopulation and its effect on wildlife and wild spaces. This is a critically important issue given that we are in the midst of the 6th mass extinction. This book could easily have provided an intellectually defensible position on the negative impact of growth on wilderness, but what this author lacks is empathy, sympathy and any real suggestions for a workable solution.

Man Swarm suggests in no unc
Steve Voiles
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
When people discredit Erlich's Population Bomb for not coming true the do so at their (our) peril. The warnings caused changes that deferred some of the consequences of over-population, but the problem is still with us as Foreman shows in this update on the effects of population on the Earth and on Nature and on Man.

Seems simple to me: the more people there are on the Earth the cheaper we make human life and the stress on resources will become increasingly intolerable. We don't like to think abo
Jay Ornelas
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone please read this book ASAP! Talk about it, discuss it, and act on its message. It is an easy and interesting read and clearly lays out a thoughtful, rational, and desperately needed message about how our shameful lack of forethought and will to do something about unchecked population growth and family planning is devastating the environment and worsening economic, political, and healthcare related humanitarian crises around the world.

Very few books can change the world for the better.
Phil7765
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A absolute must read for anyone concerned about the environment!

At the root of it all, global warming, pollution, loss of species diversity, overfishing etc... is man. I think given what we know now this premise is indisputable, and yet here we are still trying to apply band-aids to all these problems without recognizing or wanting to recognize that there are simply too many of us! It is hard for me to think how most of our ills wouldn't be greatly reduced if we simply eschewed the growth ethic
Zach Ammerman
May 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Overpopulation is a real issue that deserves to be treated seriously. If that’s what you’re looking for, don’t read this book. Instead, what you get is a racist (and unconvincing) rant against immigration, and a list of grievances based upon what seem to be old (and somewhat dated) personal grudges of the author.
Kat Pisano
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
The author spends most of his time quoting other people and other books that you should read rather than any of his own findings, or any new information. It gets very redundant, does not really flow, and has zero "answers" or real summary of findings. I struggled to get through this book.
Poly
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Foreman repeats himself a little too much but other than that there's some excellent rebuttals to criticisms of overpopulation theory.
Nicole
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is decent. But it could have been great. The problem is that the author thinks really highly of himself and so he couldn't just write the book. He had to keep having little conversations back and forth with himself and about himself throughout the book. You know people like this ... the ones you don't really like at dinner parties ... the ones who go off on someone about their carbon footprint but then mention that they run the dishwasher every night because they need their favorite mu ...more
Omega Baker
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I pick up this book to read I find profound, moving and illuminating quotes from Foreman and other authors. The information in this book weighs heavy on the heart of anyone who loves wild nature and the species who live there. It is for this reason I can only read short sections at a time. It is a well-written and necessary book. It should be required reading for science classes in high school and/or college.
Diana
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An important book - shows how population affects everything - and why it is so difficult to address the dying wild lands and species, global warming (his apt term: global weirding), food issues, and the rest. There are twice as many people today as there were in 1972. Take it from there. Changed my understanding of immigration quotas with logic and understanding of the big picture. Highly recommended.
David Ellis
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Instead of arguing whether or not we can somehow come up with the resources to feed and shelter our growing global population, this book explains why our current population of 7 billion has already overshot the resources needed for what remains of our wildlife to survive. Do we want to live in a world without our fellow earthlings? Can we survive after driving all other species extinct? The book concludes by outlining practical steps to take to stop the insane growth of our population.
Linda Wells
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent. It really showed how the overpopulation of man is destroying the earth and its human and animal inhabitants. It is disturbing to read the facts and figures but one cannot just bury one's head in the sand and do nothing. I highly recommend this book.
Richard Orfalea
G Miklashek
Jun 02, 2018
John McKeown
Dec 21, 2019

• What Is the Story of Scooby-Doo?
  • Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming
  • The Starless Sea
  • What Is Climate Change?
  • Who Was Rachel Carson?
  • Rescued Kitties: A Collection of Heart-Warming Cat Stories
  • The Wisdom of Wolves: Lessons from the Sawtooth Pack
  • My Life as an Indian: The Story of a Red Woman and a White Man in the Lodges of the Blackfeet (1907)
  • Avalon: A Heartwarming True Cat Story
  • Paw Tracks in the Moonlight
  • Scenes From a Move, Part 2: A Short Story
  • The Bells: A Short Story (Curl Up with a Cat Tale Book 8)
  • Scenes From a Move, Part 1: A Short Story
  • The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood
  • The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World
  • Can Life Prevail?
  • The Passage (The Passage, #1)
  • The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World