Start by marking “There Will Be Lies” as Want to Read:
There Will Be Lies

There Will Be Lies

Shelby Jane Cooper is seventeen, pretty and quiet. It's just Shelby and her mom, Shaylene, a court stenographer who wears pyjama jeans, stitches tapestry, eats ice-cream for dinner and likes to keep Shelby safe. So safe she barely goes out. So safe she doesn't go to school. Because anything could happen, to a girl like Shelby. Anything.

When Shelby gets knocked down by a
Published January 6th 2015 by Bloomsbury Childrens

To ask other readers questions about There Will Be Lies, please sign up.
Sherry If there were a free epub or pdf of this book, it would be pirated and you would be breaking copyright to use it.
Kat no, I don't believe so. I don't think it needs a second one, all the loose ends got tied up.

Start your review of There Will Be Lies
Wendy Darling
Remember how I was just saying I wanted a YA thriller that would actually, you know, thrill me? Here it is.

Those who liked certain elements of Charm & Strange and Wild Awake might like this, and certainly you'll like it if you enjoy books like Dangerous Girls. Not a perfect book, but a really, really good one, so I'm bumping it up in star ratings in support. I had never heard of Nick Lake until now, but I'm definitely reading his other books! Review to come.
Debbie
Dec 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie
INITIAL REACTION:

WHUUUUUT. O___________________________________O

SLIGHTLY MORE DETAILED THOUGHTS:

If you don’t mind being lied to constantly, There Will Be Lies is something you must look into. I didn’t really take that title seriously until a while into the read... but yes, THERE ARE LIES, AND DECEPTION, BUT ALSO, TRUTH. I found it a little hard to get into, BUT I had so many questions surrounding Shelby and her insanely conservative mother, so that’s what kept me going. As for the twists, I
Pamela
As the de facto Teen Librarian (technically I'm a Youth Services Librarian, but I love YA lit and I really love working with teens, so I'm like the Teen-In-All-But-Name Librarian), it's my professional duty to keep up with teen lit. Although I don't generally agree with Big Award Decisions, it's important for me to know who won what when and for what (how's that for a tongue-twister?). This is crucial for booktalking without seeming like an idiot.

I was really surprised when Nick Lake's In
Figgy
Actual Rating 3.5

Gym Rat doesn’t say, You feel like hooking up? but he does say, You feel like hanging out? so I was close.
I shake my head as I walk past, and I see his mouth say, Bitch, silently.
So yeah, sad face. I really missed out there.

Meet Shelby Jane Cooper.

She’s snarky, loves reading and baseball, and has an overprotective mother who insists on homeschooling her, and never lets her go anywhere alone. Her weeks follow the same routine, never deviating, never surprising her.

And at the end
Amanda
I was expecting a thriller, but it was really obvious from the beginning what had occurred. Also, Shelby's dreams were tedious, I ended up skipping those bits altogether.
Summer
For a majority of There Will Be Lies, I was absolutely clueless. It was more of this engaged cluelessness, this burning curiosity to understand what exactly is happening.

Shelby is a 17-year-old home-schooled girl living with her extremely and inexplicably over-protective mother. She doesn't know much about her past--or much about anything, besides what her mom has deemed appropriate she learn. Their comfortable routine is smashed when Shelby is struck by a car, and a domino effect of events
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloomsbury
3 Stars
There Will Be Lies was a fusion of contemporary, Native American mythology and a thriller which despite it's issues, I found impossible to put down. Shelby has lived an incredibly sheltered life, under the guise that people are generally not to be trusted and want to take advantage of her, relying on her mother to not only home school her but also keep her free from harm. She loves her mother for being protective, but wavers between wanting more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 8

Yeah, I can't. This writing makes me cringe and reach for a red pen. Maybe it serves a stylistic point, but there's no way I'll be able to settle into the writing.

Here are some comma splices:

"And they know who I am, they welcome me when I log on."

"I know they could be anyone, they could be fifty-year-old creeps in their underpants, but I like talking to them."

"Mom doesn't know I even HAVE online friends, she wouldn't let me have a Facebook that's for sure, but she doesn't know that
Charley Cook
I recently did a video review of this book, check out the video to see what I thought:
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
This book was kind of bonkers. Good-bonkers, and I enjoyed it, but still one of the craziest books I’ve read for a while.

So the story opens with Shelby Cooper, a seventeen year old girl who lives possibly the most sheltered life with her overprotective mum. She’s homeschooled, isn’t allowed to go out alone, she rarely speaks to anyone other than her mum and her life is strictly planned with the same routines every week.

Did I say she rarely speaks to anyone other than her mum? Okay, she does
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)

I feel it's my duty to warn you all that this book contains lies.

I know, really shocking for a book called There Will Be Lies. But, come on, I can't be the only person who hoped that this book would containnolies, and that the title itself was the real lie. Yes... that was a thing that needed to happen and it didn't and now I'm sad because that's the kind of crazy person that I am.

I've been struggling for quite some time with what I wanted to say in this review and now I am still
Margie
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most unique storytellers I have ever encountered! Enthralling, emotional, shocking, flippant and twisted - there is no other story out there, right now, that can compare...

First, I have to point out, the writing style is very, very different than what I am used to. Conversations are either in italics or told in third person. It was odd at first, but very necessary. I don't see how the author could have helped Shelby tell her story without taking this route. It didn't take very long to
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

THERE WILL BE LIES isn't the typical book you'd find here on All Things Urban Fantasy, but I felt it was one worth sharing. With this thriller, Nick Lake has written a book that is really difficult to review without spoilers, but I'll do my best.

I was lucky enough to see Lake in person on his book tour, and he talked a bit about stories and lies, and what the difference is. Stories, he believes, bring us together, and lies don't. In THERE WILL BE LIES
Bridget
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a boundary blurring wonderful ride of a book. I was happily reading along, enjoying the story of a teenage girl with a sheltered life, living with her mum, being homeschooled because of the dangerous man, her father, who wants to cause her harm. Then, all of a sudden there is a gigantic twist and there are mystical creatures and all sorts being added to the mix. I love so much about this book, the story is great, the characters are awesome and the whole mix is unlike anything I've read ...more
Apr 25, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I know I'm SO CLOSE to the end but I'm really not getting anything out of this - It's confusing and boring. Just not my cup of tea... Sorry!
Abbie
The story was unique but I must admit I was lost a couple of times.
Ava
This book had good world building and I liked the idea of combining Native American mythology with some mystery world, but it was very poorly executed.

Shelby Jane Cooper lives with her overprotective mom in a boring town near the desert. She does her routine and every week is the same. Suddenly her mom wants to leave, and Shelby’s life is turned upside down. She enters the mysterious world called The Dreaming, where she, together with Coyote, will try to save the Child. Meanwhile, more and more
Josiah
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nick Lake's reputation as a YA novelist was secured when he won the 2013 Michael L. Printz Award for In Darkness. His subsequent thrillers and mysteries would add shine to his name, but eclipsing the accomplishment of In Darkness was not necessary for him to have a noteworthy career. There Will Be Lies hit the market in 2015 surrounded by hype, teasing the same sort of mind-blowing plot revelations as E. Lockhart's We Were Liars. Nothing compares to a novel like that when it works, all the ...more
Rachel
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
**Disclaimer: I was sent this book for free from Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review. My views are my own and 100% honest.**

"There will be two lies. Then there will be the truth."

Where do I even start?

This is one of the first books that I have ever made the conscious decision to DNF. I skimmed through the ENTIRETY of the ending of the book because I just needed it to end.

This is not an easy book to review because to do so would give spoilers, suffice it to say that this book had so
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Well, I gave it 70 pages and promptly decided NOPE, I'M NOT HERE FOR THIS. From the title alone, it's easy to figure out this book has an unreliable narrator a la We Were Liars and Liar and I love me some unreliable narrators.

But you know what? The fun of not being able to trust who's telling the story gets taken away when you can quickly figure out what the lies mentioned in the title are. I said around page 30 "Oh yeah, (view spoiler)
Jessica
I received an early ARC from ALA 2014. This book was a bit of a frustrating read for me. Half of the book is set in the real world, and is a taut and exciting thriller. I loved the characters, and was really into the storyline (beyond a few glaring Britishisms that stood out in a book set in Arizona). Interspersed with these chapters, however, were chapters set in a dreamworld, that is essentially an allegorical landscape where events have resonance in the real world.

The problem for me was that
Nick Davies
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This fell somewhere between a three and a four for me, I never quite sorted out in my head whether it matters more that I liked it despite its faults or whether I didn’t get past my dislike of these things.

Indeed. I picked this up in a charity shop after only a cursory glance at the interesting- sounding plot summary on the back cover blurb. As a consequence, I didn’t realise it was a YA novel till I was quite a way through. The story follows a sheltered seventeen year-old girl and what happens
Sarah Churchill
Two things about this book; first, it's a very clever, poetic take on a story that I can't explain without MAJOR spoilers, but let's just say I enjoyed it, and it's the kind of story I love. Second, it is one of the hardest books I've ever tried to get into, and I probably would have given up if I hadn't been given the arc for review.

Well over half way in I still didn't have a clue what the hell was going on. I thought maybe I was dealing with a Never Ending Story kind of thing, and I still
elissa
This had an excellent beginning, and pulled me in right away. Short chapters. Really interesting combination of suspense and folklore, and lots of playing with the idea that it's a fine line between magic and insanity. I can't remember the last time I read a book this quickly (especially if I wasn't on vacation--also this one is close to 500 pages). I stayed up too late to finish it last night, and am tired as a result, but it was worth it. Upon finishing, my favorite book of the year so far. ...more
Cara
Feb 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't been so relieved to finish a book since I was in school. There were a couple of points where I wanted to see what was going to happen, but mostly I just didn't get where the book was going, and I didn't care. I didn't like the main character. I really didn't like how much the book jumped around.
I would have a hard time recommending this book to anyone.
Megan
I’m going to be hit by a car in about four hours, but I don’t know that yet. The weird thing is, it’s not the car that’s going to kill me, that’s going to erase me from the world. It’s something totally different. Something that happens eight days from now and threatens to end everything. My name is Shelby Jane Cooper—is, was, whatever. I’m seventeen years old when the car crash happens. This is my story.

When I started this book, I wasn't at all sure I was going to like it. As usual I had
dg
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
about 1/4 of the way through this i decided to go back to the beginning and mark every time the mother was insulted for her looks/for being overweight with a post it. i ran out of post its and i never even finished the book
Cheska the Great is Not Okay
Wow, I seem to be in the minority here. I read this pretty quickly for something that is 450 pages long, because it was hard to put down. The writing style also made it easy to read through. I've read some of the reviews and most of them said they found the 'dream' parts boring or tedious, but they were actually my favorite parts?? Not to mention they were the distinguishing features that made this book stand out from the rest of YA thriller novels.

Anyways, I think this book took something that
Wendy F
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I’d never even heard of There Will Be Lies before a good friend of mine emailed me and raved about how I absolutely must read this book. It was an absolute must. I admit, the synopsis had me very intrigued. I love secretive books. I love when the blurb on the back leaves me a little unsure about what the book is about exactly. I love how when I start to read I find myself with questions, and that the answers are parceled out slowly and irreverently as though they are little gifts and they’re all ...more

• Fire Colour One
  • The Ghosts of Heaven
  • Five Children on the Western Front
  • Lies We Tell Ourselves
  • I Crawl Through It
  • Crazy
  • Unnatural Disasters
  • The Swan Kingdom
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • Gone Too Far
  • Blood Family
  • A Breath of Frost (The Lovegrove Legacy, #1)
  • Moonrise
  • Bambi
  • Disney's Winnie the Pooh
  • The Jungle Book
  • Walt Disney's Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
My name is Nick and I write and edit books for young adults. My first YA novel IN DARKNESS, was published by Bloomsbury in 2012 and won the Michael L Printz Award for Excellence in YA Literature. I also wrote a book called HOSTAGE THREE about a girl kidnapped by Somali pirates.

THERE WILL BE LIES is coming in January 15 and is about a girl who learns that everything she knows is a lie. To say it's
“There are things that, when they break, they keep on functioning, just in some other, lesser way. Like an elevator: it breaks, and it's a room. An escalator: it breaks, and it's stairs

The heart is the same.

It breaks, and you might not even notice, because you still feel things, you still have emotions.

But there's a dimension missing, like for the elevator; it still works as a room, but it has lost its vertical axis of motion, and it's the same with a heart: it breaks, and yeah, you can still have feelings, you can still feel sorry for someone, or angry, or sad, but there's something that's lost, a motion, a dimension. It breaks, and it's just an organ, beating.”
7 likes
“What is with people who don't read novels? I mean, what kind of life is that?” 4 likes