Start by marking “Recurve (The Elemental Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Recurve (The Elemental Series #1)

Recurve

(The Elemental Series #1)

My name is Larkspur, and I am an Elemental.

My people use the power of the earth to sustain life and defy our enemies. I should be at my father's side as a royal princess. But as a half-breed, bastard child, that isn't going to happen.

I've been accused of attacking the queen, my wicked stepmother, and my life is suddenly on the line. I have only two options left to me: ba
Published March 31st 2015 by HiJinks Ink Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Recurve, please sign up.
Shannon Mayer You will see some short visits from characters from The Rylee Adamson Novels, but this is a stand alone series. It is not part of The Rylee Adamson…moreYou will see some short visits from characters from The Rylee Adamson Novels, but this is a stand alone series. It is not part of The Rylee Adamson Novels but a new series I am starting. You do not need to read The Rylee Adamson Novels to read this series. It is completely independent.(less)

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
DNF at 60%

Eh I really wanted to like this. There really wasn't anything 'wrong' with it, it just didn't catch my interest. Typical evil queen who is evil just because she's evil and wants power. Heroine doesn't really stand out and has powers she can't seem to surface.

Take my rating with a grain of salt though, because of course there's a likelihood that it got better in the last half, but I just stopped caring and I didn't want to invest more time in it. Perhaps I'll return at a later date!

My
MaryKate
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
This one was alright, but the story moved so fast that it felt like nothing was explained well. The characters were inconsistent and confusing....it was really hard to get behind them and root for them. The MC kept switching between a "doormat" and a "stubborn warrior" type of person. I HATED that she kept going back to her jerk boyfriend (and sleeping with him) because she "felt bad" or "was trying to give him a chance". I mean really!?!? Have some self-respect and dump him already!

With that be
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

My desire to one-click Shannon Mayer’s Elementals grew with every RYLEE ADAMSON installment I read until Larkspur’s character was officially introduced in several novellas as well as book 9 which also happened to be the point where I finished playing catch-up on that particular story line, and what ultimately prompted me to take-up RECURVE. This title unfolds thirty some years prior to PRICELESS, so if you were hoping for continuity (like I was), you’ll be bummed at firs
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
⚡ Read for the KU Shitathon 2018 Challenge™ over at the MacHalos

1.5 Stars

Uhm... Yeah... There are so many things for me to bitch about here, although the book fits the spirit of my Shitathon well! Small comforts were one can find them I guess (ヅ)

So. There were a lot of things not mentioned and/or explained, most everyone is a dick, the heroine might very likely be schizophrenic or have multiple personality disorder along with being an idiot, the hero was Waldo as I had no idea who the fuck h
Natalie
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Larkspur is an elemental with no elemental powers. She's a daughter of the king, but isn't allowed to live with him because she has no magic. That makes her basically useless and she's suffered for it her whole life.

She finds herself a place as a member of the guard and she is determiend to earn her keep. There is a deadly plot underway, though, and it will take Larkspur pushing herself further than she ever has to save the day.

I quit reading the Rylee Adamson series, but I think this series h
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
After seeing so many glowing reviews for this series and repeatedly getting it recommended to me, I finally took the plunge and gave this series and author a try.

I wish I could say that I loved this read, or even that I liked it, but the truth is, I feel very indifferent about it.

For whatever reason, from the very beginning, I had a hard time connecting to the story line and the characters itself.

The writing isn't bad nor the story line but yet I just couldn't get into the heart of the story. Th
Chelsea
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

This is a confusing book because I'm not sure exactly what it was supposed to be and I'm not sure that Mayer knew, either. It definitely falls into the "paranormal" category (I categorize paranormal as fantasy that takes place in the "normal" world, and it may or may not be urban--this is not) but beyond that, it's kind of a mess. The plot follows Lark (short for Larkspur) a bastard princess of the Earth Elementals who...apparently live
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ by: ZARIA (Sheldon Cooper lover)
Rate: 4/3 stars.
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
so yea, i think i loved this book.

Dear Shannon Mayer, this book was awesome. I read your Rylee Adamson series and while i will say that i read most of it, i wasn't a ginormous fan. This one...this one was amazing!!!

Okay let's talk plot.

"Madness is a place where I hide from those who would silence me."

Larkspur is a royal Princess who is held in disdain.
None will acknowledge her as a member of the royal family due to her lack of elemental power.
Useless. a shell of an elemental. worthless.
Or
Wyrdness
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
2.5 stars.

The middle bit of this was fairly fun in a sort of not very deep, actiony suspense-lite kind of way, but the prologue was heart-breaking and the last 25% turned in to needlessly stupid actionfest (view spoiler)
Tami
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good start to a new series! I like that this is a bit different from the usual PNR.

For example, the heroine has a hot, sex-based relationship with a guy who definitely won't be her long-term mate/partner.
Bravo!

And the heroine herself - she is kind of powerful, but not all-powerful.
She is rightly doubtful that she will be strong enough to battle the evil queen.

The world-building is original as there is a "human world" kind of beyond - so that this is like an alternative universe, but embedded
Jeanny
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book bc i was interested in the protagonist Larkspur. That is what kept my interest throughout the first 1/2 of the book. It's pacing was slow & the fact I knew Shannon Mayer's work & was introduced to Lark in a Rylee Adamson novelI made me stubbornly refuse to DNF the book. I would recommend if you're not familiar with SM or the world this story takes place read the original series Priceless (Rylee Adamson, #1) prior to starting the spin off with this book.

I continue to fin
Tamara
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
The story and idea was interesting, yet there was zero world development and the book lacked character development. Also, the dialogue was childish.
Dale Pearl
Quotes

I picked up Recurve by Shannon Mayer because it is a Goodreads nominee for best fantasy novel 2015. This is not fantasy, this is YA fantasy. Also, if this book wins the award it will imply that 2015 had slim offerings for excellent fantasy.

This book wasn't bad. I have most definitely read worse. This book isn't good either. Recurve leaves plenty to be desired.

The Good

Innovative setting between the real world and the hidden world of fairies and elementals.
Fast paced story. If this is the only b
Kristy
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this one, it had a good beginning... but it was too poorly written. I got as far as halfway before giving up.
RuthAnn
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: adulthood
Completely not what I was expecting. I thought I was getting urban fantasy and this was not. Still a decent read.
Cali Teer
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quick-and-fun
fun quick read, I will be continuing with this series because it was interesting enough to keep me on the hook and I'm also hoping that Lark and Ash will get together later on in the series.. I seriously want that to happen.

I also really enjoyed Larkspur, she had drive and guts and did what needed to be done and wasn't the typical "special snowflake" that seems to be the go-to when writing books now a days. She was flawed and looked at as useless and never had anyone helping to make her life ea
Jessica Frances
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I am in awe of Shannon Mayer and what she has created with this new series. It was incredible, addictive and I honestly couldn’t stop reading once I started. I loved the world building, Lark has to be one of my favourite heroines ever and this story was so intriguing. I don’t read a lot of fantasy stories, but this felt special. It was fast moving and action packed. I often found myself holding my breath and I can’t wait for more. This is most definitely one of my favourite reads for the ye ...more
Runningrabbit
A bit slow to get to the point, but OK, although there were things that could have gone in a different direction at times that might have lifted the story.

To give this story my ultimate rating, I will cough up that I put this down for months before I picked it up again...
Minni Mouse
DNF at 55%.

This didn't stand out to me one way or the other too much until we find out through Ash's memories that sixteen-year-old Belladonna pretty much raped him. Not cool and borderline gratuitously done.
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast paced entertaining read in the elemental realm.
Kristi
NOTE: As I'm an urban fantasy author I no longer rate other Urban Fantasy series. If I've posted them here you can be certain I enjoyed them and recommend giving them a shot!

Recently I made a return to urban fantasy, one of my all time favourite genres, after a very long spell submersing myself in decidedly non UF reading. Recurve, by Shannon Mayer, coincidentally ended up on my radar when I also decided to try Kindle Unlimited (out of curiosity) and my other interest in trying more indie author
Elin
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Spax
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Mildly interesting but rather predictable. Quite a few wtf-moments regarding how some of the magic work. I never felt like I was getting into the story as I was reading, everything was super fast paced. Won't continue the series.
Jasmine
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I kind of have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I enjoyed it and after searching for a few days, I've finally found an urban fantasy-ish book in which the writing isn't utter crap. The first half of the book had me hooked and I didn't want to put it down...but then it took a drastic turn and now Lark is trying to cure a worm disease that the Queen unleashed. Which, when you think about it, is incredibly odd and a bit stupid. I think the book had a lot more potential and could've been ...more
Dolly Sandor
A good start by Ms Mayer to another new series.

What I liked: I enjoy story lines based on the Fae. While this is not exactly a Fae book, it is very similar. Basically, Elementals are just as heartless and conniving as the Fae. As a half-bastard, Larkspur was once loved but is now basically excluded from all things royal. The overriding reason for this is her lack of any real power. To survive in her world, you need power.

Unknown to Larkspur, she has plenty of power but for some reason she just c
Marsha
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
(3.5 Stars) I am a big fan of Shannon Mayer's "Rylee Adamson" series; so, when I saw the summary for "Recurve" I thought I would give it a try. While it is definitely not Rylee, it was quite entertaining.

Larskpur is one of the many illegitimate children of the king. The queen cannot stomach her mother, baby brother, Bramley or Lark; but, her evil knows no bounds. She has one of the guards, Wicker, kill her mother and brother; then, attempt to alter Parks elemental powers and wipe the memories of
Jamie Davis
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just flipped to the last page of Recurve, and I'm in awe of Shannon's world-building abilities. Rich details built a mental image piece by piece until I felt as though I were standing in the redwood forest watching Larkspur as she fought to preserve not only her home but those she loves as well.

Lark's innate ability to love her family and fight for them, despite their indifference and lack of acceptance, shows in her a capacity for being a hero. Their cruel titles of "Useless" and "Cuckoo" mi
Rainbow Unicorn
This shit is shallow as a kiddie pool, but it's decently written fun action with a lady protagonist and Fern's role in the latter pages of the book made me feel better about the otherwise atrocious role women play in this book (they're all one dimensional comically evil villains. Except for the pure tragically deceased mother and I suppose the benevolent-yet-unknowable mother goddess, can't forget her. The rest are minor characters who play no real role except, again, Fern.)

Seriously evil siste
Rachel

Wow this was surprising! I bought it out of the blue a couple days ago because it sounded interesting. It is pretty good for the beginning of a series. The characters showed a lot of growth from beginning to end (thankfully because they were annoying at first). I think I will end up liking the next book even more because I see so much potential for this series. I'm still holding out for the romance to kick in!
Goodreads Librari...: Clarification/confimation needed - "series" in series name 13 46 Nov 15, 2016 08:41PM
Identifying Young Adult material 1 11 Nov 21, 2015 09:10AM

• A Pirate's Love / Hearts Aflame
  • Yield the Night (Steel & Stone, #3)
  • Mercenary Magic  (Dragon Born Serafina, #1)
  • This Changes Everything (Curse Keepers Secret #2; Curse Keepers #2.5)
  • Treason (The Grimoire Saga, #2)
  • The Source of Magic
  • Wilde Card (Immortal Vegas, #2)
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Cold Light of Day (Charlie Madigan, #5)
  • Electric Heat (Raven Investigations, #3)
  • King Cave (Forever Evermore, #2)
  • Fated (Karma, #3)
  • Nether (Hidden, #5)
  • Into The Green (The Green #1)
  • A Breath of Winter (Araneae Nation, #4)
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • Monster Mine (Fear University, #3)
  • Darkness Clashes (The Sensor, #4)
A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I was born into a family of Star Wars nuts. I have a lot of siblings (somewhere I lost count but I think there was more than could be numbered on one hand) and being one of the young padawans I was subjected to Star Wars marathons, on a regular basis. If you've read any of my books you'll see there is often a reference to said movies as a small homage to my u ...more

The Elemental Series (7 books)
  • Breakwater (The Elemental Series, #2)
  • Firestorm (The Elemental Series, #3)
  • Windburn (The Elemental Series, #4)
  • Rootbound (The Elemental Series, #5)
  • Ash (The Elemental Series, #6)
  • Destroyer (The Elemental Series, #7)
“Madness is a place where I hide from those who would silence me.” 2 likes