Start by marking “Miss Winters Proposes” as Want to Read:
Miss Winters Proposes

Miss Winters Proposes

An unseemly proposal...

Juliet Winters has come up with a wonderfully devious plan to avoid marrying her vile cur of a cousin. First, she'll propose marriage to her handsome, reclusive neighbor, Lord Colwyn. Then, once she has both name and financial support, she'll be able to pursue her true (if rather unladylike) passion -- breeding dogs. But when Lord Colwyn rejects her
Published February 9th 2015 by Entangled: Scandalous

To ask other readers questions about Miss Winters Proposes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Winters Proposes

Start your review of Miss Winters Proposes
Fizza
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing historical fiction! I loved it and recommend to all book lovers. It is a story about a recluse viscount, who never wants to get married and an unconventional Miss, who is desperate to do just that.
After the death of his first wife, Benjamin decided not to get married again. Because he feared the loss and think it is better to stay alone forever. Juliet's father is sick and decided to arrange her marriage with a cousin who will inherit his title and estate one day. But Juliet knows that i
Kathie (katmom)
Happy Release Day!!!

From the first page, this drew me in. It was a quick read at only 203 pages. The blackmail and marriage proposal were right there at the beginning! Juliet needs a husband that will ignore her and let her get on with her life goal of breeding dogs...and selling them. Her icky cousin thinks to marry her and she really doesn't want to be a politician's wife. Seems like stealing, I mean, HIDING her neighbor's beloved pet to get him to do what she wants makes perfect sense, at lea
Farrah
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A sweet historical romance, Miss Winters Proposes was a lovely read. Not particularly memorable, but an enjoyable romance that I liked.

Both characters were likable. There wasn't anything special about either, but I found Juliet to be determined and Benjamin to be sweet when he wasn't trying to push people away. So, I was fine with them both.

The romance was okay. I wish there had been more of a transition from Juliet and Benjamin being strangers to being in love. As it was, we missed the whole fa
Amira
This was a really good read. The opening of the book grabbed me, and I really enjoyed Miss Winter character. Full review to be posted.
Deanna from Deanna's World
When I first read the blurb for this book, I was most intrigued by the premise. The heroine steals the heroes dog and blackmails him with the dog into marrying her. Of course, there's a lot more to it than that, a dastardly cousin, a family's fortune at stake and a past tortured by loss and pain.

Despite it's promising blurb, the story was slow to start and it didn't hold my attention as much as I wanted it to, but for that, I blame the heat and the weather and my circumstances because once I set
Sarah Beth
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I want to preface this review by admitting to the fact that this book peaked my interest because I am currently addicted to Downton Abbey and wanted to read something similar. Am I ever so happy I did! This book (even though it is set about 100 years pre-Downton timeframe) was a perfect fit for my addiction, I mean enjoyment.

Juliet is a 24 year old noble woman (almost “spinster” age in those days) who is about to be married off to her cousin who is to inherit her family’s estate. That is, she w
Philippa Lodge
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Sorry, I don't have the spoiler button on my cell phone.

It was all going along pretty well - some misuse of words and typos, a bit bland, but pretty well -

then the whole black moment was because he blamed her because his prize hound had trouble giving birth. And of course, she was wracked with guilt. So she left and when he showed up months later to apologize, she didn't even throw anything heavy at him.

so she went from deciding her own future by proposing to him to blandly sitting around.
Isha Coleman
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was gifted a copy of Miss Winters Proposes for an honest review. This book proved to be a fun, quirky read. Loved the character of Juliet Winters. She was such a strong person that she was willing to do whatever she could to protect herself, no matter what. Not your average love story. Definitely worth the read.
Sandra Tomas
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awww! There,s nothing! Like the love of a pooch🐕

I chose this rating, because this book was written with alot of love for dogs, within it's pages.
It has wonderful charicters.
With lots of spirit, and romance
A woman will do what she must,
And she just might find love ,along the way.
Calisto
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh. The blurb sounded cute and I was at BN drinking coffee so I said, "Why not?" After two strong chapters, this story was a four-star book and I decided to go ahead and purchase. Yeah.

So Miss Winters starts out with gumption. In order to avoid being married to her creepy, older cousin (I'll hit on that again later), not only does she propose to Lord Benjamin Colwyn, she also steals his prized dog (one he needs to ease financial strains on relatives). Now, Colwyn wants his dog, but not a wife.
Connie Fischer
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Surrey England, Winter 1818

Juliet Winters, age 24, is red-haired and freckled. The daughter of a rich baron, Lord Roughton, all Juliet cares for is raising dogs that are part of an incredible line begun by her father. Juliet is being pressured to marry her odious cousin, Frederick Winters, who enjoy politics. He is a truly vile man and has played many dirty tricks to get information from some members of Parliament.

As Juliet is adamant about not marrying Frederick and decides to turn to her reclu
Cheryl Sanders
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Juliet Winters did not want to marry. All she ever wanted to do was to breed hunting dogs like her father. When she found out her father wished her to marry her cousin, Frederick Winters, she went out and found her own choice for a husband. Then she proposed to him. the very handsome Lord Benjamin Colwyn, Viscount, was sort of a recluse, a loner and the perfect man to be her husband. They would marry, he would continue living as he is now and she would go and live at the property that is part of ...more
Jasmyn
I really liked Juliet from the beginning. I love when a historical heroine takes charge and steps outside their traditional role - it's what makes it exciting. When she not only insists on marrying Benjamin, but kidnaps his best friend (even if it's just a dog) to make sure he plays along, I was all for her little scheme. I was even more for it once I met her alternative .

Where the book lost me a little was Benjamin himself. I never really grew to like him. He was overly concerned about his dog
Margaret Sholders
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a good read. Frances pulled a very different story line while writing this story. I enjoyed reading this story. This book had some small spoilers. There were a couple of spots where the reader might need tissues for just a short walk away. Juliet is a female who breeds dogs. Totally unacceptable at the time. Benjamin needs a sale of pups from his dog to help his sister out. He has a trust and safety deal going on. He has lost his parents and 2 older brothers plus his first wife and baby ...more
Amanda

This wasn't bad but it wasn't great either, very average I suppose. I did like Juliet, as well as the dog breeding plot if only for its originality. However little mistakes throughout such as spelling errors (I'm being nitpicky there but it does distract) and a few plot holes (view spoiler)
Anna Lenhart
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a most unusual, but enjoyable romance. The story centers on Juliet,a spinster daughter of a baron who breeds dogs and Benjamin, a reclusive viscount, has already lost one wife and also loves dogs. The story opens when Juliet proposes marriage and blackmails by kidnapping his prize bitch. He reluctantly accepts her proposal and starts to learn about his future wife. They slowly learn to like each other and eventually fall in love.

I must confess, I was amazed that I liked this book as much
Sylvia
This is an unusual spin of a marriage proposal. Miss Juliet Winters wants Lord Benjamin Colwyn to marry her, but he refuses to marry again. Miss Juliet used every execuse in the book. Benjamin would not budge. She had to play her last card....ransom his prize dog. It was fun how he tried his hardest not to succumb to her charms. Miss Juliet slowly fell in love with his kindness and gentlemen ways. Overall it was a wonderful story. I just did not like the way he pushed her away. Poor Miss Juliet ...more
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
What a peculiar little book. Heroine is a dog-breeder, as is the hero. She bribes him into marrying her by kidnapping his prize bitch, who is also whelping (i think that's the phrase, the dog is preggers, anyway). This sounds bizarre, and it was. But there was enough going on to keep me reading, I didn't skim. I'm left with the abiding impression this book could have been better, but it also could have been much worse. Nothing at all to write home about, but kept me mildly entertained for a few ...more
Kadia Hufford
I liked this book very much. Miss Winters was a really engaging character and I enjoyed her. The first chapter was very humorous, and Miss Winters' actions compelled me to stay up late to find out how everything was resolved. The hero Benjamin wasn't really extraordinary, but I liked him. I wanted more time for the Juliet and Benjamin to fall in love. I was told they fell in love, instead of witnessing it myself. Still a very good read.
Nessa
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I AM BEGINNING TO THINK THE COVERS OF MS FOWLKES BOOKS' ARE MISLEADING TO THINK THAT I WOULD HAVE A GOOD STORY INDEED!

I am not so invested in this story despite the first few pages..I mean there was nothing compelling about both characters and the sorely needed mystery and sexual tension.

I think the reason Benjamin pushed his wife away was ridiculous.
Susanne
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this one; the hound element worked on so many levels, including adding humour and allowing Juliet to push the social and cultural boundaries for her time, which is, after all, something the most enjoyable historical stories should do.
Ramblinbrown
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
*Was given an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Absolutely wonderful story. This has the making of being a hit if it had been slightly longer. I would highly recommend for a quick read to anyone who loves Julia Quinn and Tessa Dare.
Maggie Hesseling
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Not exactly what I was expecting, but pleasurable none-the-less. I enjoyed the fact that both the characters were crazy about breeding dogs. There was a section about half way where her father miraculously shows up that threw me a little, but other than that a good solid novel.
Bev Ross
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This was a very good story! I liked the inclusion of the dogs in the story. And I was very happy to see her get away from her perverted cousin and finally feel confident with herself as a woman. Nice mushy fun read!
Karen Darling
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
The hero got on my nerves after a while.
Alycia
Out today!! Such a fun and refreshing historical romance. The heroine is a fav!
Lady Wesley
Apr 01, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Well, this sound like fun. You can read Natalie's review at Romantic Historical Reviews. ...more
Donna
rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 22, 2015 11:10AM

• The Look of Love (Book of Love, #1)
  • The Spring Duchess (A Duchess for All Seasons #2)
  • Mark of the Marquess
  • Once Upon A Wallflower
  • Falling for the Heartbroken Duke
  • My Fair Lily (Farthingale, #1)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • The Captive (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • Never Courted, Suddenly Wed (Scandalous Seasons, #2)
  • Forgotten & Remembered: The Duke's Late Wife (Love's Second Chance, #1)
  • A Most Naked Solution
  • Undone by the Duke (Secrets in Silk, #1)
  • Once Upon A Scandal
  • Lady of Fortune (The Unconventional Ladies, #2)
  • Devoted to the Duke (The St. Clairs, #1)
  • The Last Duke
  • The Spinster and I (The Spinster Chronicles, #2)
  • House of Catesby - The Complete Collection (Books 1-7)
After viewing her all-time favorite love story, “Anne of Green Gables”, at the impressionable age of ten, Frances Fowlkes has been obsessed with affable boy-next door heroes, red-heads, and romance stories with lots of “highfaluting mumbo jumbo” written within their pages. It only seems natural then that she married the boy who used to pull on her curls in her high school English class, had not on ...more