Start by marking “Ransom Canyon (Ransom Canyon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ransom Canyon (Ransom Canyon, #1)

Ransom Canyon

(Ransom Canyon #1)

From New York Times bestselling author Jodi Thomas comes the first book in a compelling, emotionally resonant series set in a remote west Texas town—where family can be made by blood or by choice…

Rancher Staten Kirkland, the last descendent of Ransom Canyon's founding father, is rugged and practical to the last. No one knows that when his troubling memories threaten to ov
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published August 25th 2015 by HQN Books

Catherine Anderson
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fabulous
Well, what do you expect when you pick up a book by Jodi Thomas? Excellent writing! And that is precisely what I found between the covers of Ransom Canyon by this author. A long-time Harmony addict, it was difficult for me to leave those characters behind--for, oh, maybe two minutes. She quickly hooked me, and I fell in love with her new characters. I enjoyed the different threads in this book and couldn't wait to see what happened to those characters next. I highly recommend this book to you.

Ca
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars A-

I knew, when I read the prequel to this series, Winter's Camp, that I would fall under the spell of another of Jodi Thomas' Texas locales, and I was right. While Winter Camp is set in the time of the settlers, Ransom Canyon is a modern day story. Thomas does the small town things really well and she also is skilled at following several different characters in distinct "stories with the story". This series, in the same style as the Harmony series, follows several characters from th
Jonel
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This may just be my favourite read of the summer. It was a fantastic start to Thomas’ latest series. She combines the best of small town life with the realities of everything that could be faced. Her vivid descriptions paint this town and its people in a way that allowed me into their lives. The intricate & intimate plot captured my imagination and my heart. I really enjoyed the intertwining stories with the main characters. Their lives were all so different yet crossed so many times. Thomas ...more
Cheryl
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I am a fan of Jodi Thomas. I have enjoyed reading many of her books from her Harmony series. So when I saw her coming out with a new book from a new series, I was excited. Ransom Canyon is the first book in the Ransom Canyon series.

While I did like this book and thought it was a nice start to this new series, I cannot rightfully say that I am in love with the characters at this moment. Thus I cannot remember all of the details of each story line. Although the location that this new series cente
Tonya Lucas
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As Texan as Bluebonnets, Longhorns, and Cowboys, our own Texan, Jodi Thomas has written her best book to date. Ransom Canyon has it all, suspense, family, & redemption. Beautiful tale of a West Texas town everyone will want to be a part of after reading this 1st book in this new series, where family can be made by blood or by choice. 5 stars and deserves more!!!!!!
Kitty
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, contemporary
that was really great.

I actually love this author writing style!

I am definitely reading the next book.
Gail
Loved it, but then I always love everything Jodi writes. Love Jodi. This is the first book in the new contemporary series, mostly about a widowed rancher who has lost everything he loved except the land, and the shy woman who was his late wife's best friend. But there's also the high school boy who works for the rancher, and the young man who just got out of prison and has to decide which way to turn, and the sheriff's daughter and her battling parents... It's just a lovely story.
Diane K. Peterson
Just a wonderful story (actually several interconnected stories). Jodi Thomas is a natural-born storyteller. The main story and romance involved two older characters that have known each other for years. A set of circumstances causes their relationship to evolve. There are a couple of other stories intertwined as well. These other stories are not really completed in this book, but I sure hope to learn more about them in the subsequent Ransom Canyon books. Excellent, beautiful storytelling.
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
3 Stars

OK read, there were 3 different story lines and I didn't understand why at first; but they all came together in the end.
Caroline Clemmons
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although a fictional work, RANSOM CANYON is named after a real location. In fact, the Ransom Canyon I know is a part of Yellowhouse Canyon, which cuts a giant slash through the Llano Estacado. My husband and I grew up in Lubbock, Texas where the canyon was only a mile or less from my home and only a little further from his. Ransom Canyon is further southwest down Yellowhouse. The name is because captives really were ransomed and traded there when white settlers were new to the area.

In RANSOM CA
Kathryn
4.5 stars rounded to five.
Ransom Canyon by Jodi Thomas is the first of a new series set in Crossroads Texas and surrounding ranches and farms. After reading this one I know I am going to totally love this community. I enjoyed the prequel which gave us the tale of how Crossroads and Staten Kirkland's forebear laid the foundations of this community. It's a small town with a great community feel story, there's a wide variety of characters - goodies and baddies, old and young, cranky and cheerful, m
Chris
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ill, jodi-thomas-read

THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY
***
Staten Kirkland - rancher, lost his wife a number of years ago when she died of an illness and a son who died five years ago in a car crash. He's a fifth generation Kirkland and he could be the last. He is in his early forties.

Quinn O'Grady - lavender farmer, a friend always to Staten's wife and is in a sort of
Clare O'Beara
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: america-romance
This is the first of a series and like any start, has to spend time setting up the situation. While I like the descriptive writing, I can't really warm to a widowed rancher who has taken a lover and accepts that they are never seen together or known as a couple; they don't seem to have anything in common and the woman involved, though single, is the one driving their relationship or lack of one.

There's also a lot of time spent with a moody teen girl, in the awkward position of being the sheriff
Roz ~ My Written Romance
A lovely, emotional picture of small town life, painted beautifully by Jodi Thomas.

I really enjoyed seeing how the characters and their stories were entwined with one another. From the mature and poignant relationship between Staten and Quinn, to the mystery and drama of Yancy’s former and present lives colliding, and the budding friendship between Lucas and Laura, Jodi Thomas has woven the threads of their worlds together into a tale that is both compelling and welcoming in equal measure.

I am v
Pretty Sassy Cool
Sep 07, 2015 marked it as blog-promo
Shelves: pub-2015
We've got a great interview with Jodi Thomas posted on Pretty Sassy Cool.

For more reviews and bookish talk, visit our blog at Pretty Sassy Cool.

Pretty Sassy Cool Book Reviews and More
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful new series by Jodi Thomas. As with her "Harmony" series, this one is about a whole community of people. There is romance, mystery, drama, and a whole slew of second chances. The characters are well developed and you fall in love with all of them by the end of the first chapter. Great start to a new series, can't wait for the next one.
Debra
For a more detailed review, please check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Roseann Moss
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Jodi Thomas is a great author. This book is not one of her better books. I read the first few chapters of the book, some of the parts in the middle and the last few chapters. Could not force myself to read the complete book. Color me disappointed.
ReadingWench
I loved the depth of these characters. The plot was suspenseful and interesting. I am looking forward to the rest of the books in the series.
JoAnne
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ransom Canyon was as good as I hoped. Having already read books three to five in the series plus the prequel I knew I had to read the first two books in the series to see how everything began. I wasn't disappointed!

Ransom Canyon has ranches and farms, characters that are multidimensional and whom we get to know a little at a time plus one adventure after another. There are multiple story lines going on at the same time but they are neatly woven together to get the full feel and flavor of small t
Amy
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I almost stopped reading this book after the first couple of chapters. I don’t know I was totally thrown off by Quinn and Staten at the time. But I grew into the book and began to enjoy it. I like the three story lines that were separate but connected. It was very interesting to read about the different characters and how they crossed over one another. I enjoyed Lauren and the “gypsy house” adventure quite a bit because I remember being that young. Generally, teenagers are n ...more
Garth Mailman
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Begins with a lonesome rancher scratching his itch by making a booty call to his dead wife’s best friend. When will his big head get around the fact she wants him for more than his little one. Jumps to a bunch of small town teens: the sheriff’s daughter Lauren, the cocky jock mayor’s son Tim, the Rancher’s son Reid full of himself, and the ranch-hand’s son Lucas. And then to a 25-year-old jailbird career petty thief Yancy who arrives in town by bus and ends up doing maintenance for a senior’s co ...more
June
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Texas Soap opera romances
Recommended to June by: goodreads.com
Shelves: adult, romance
Soap opera romance. Widow Kirkland has been living a half life since his sons death until he realizes that love is right in front of him. An ex-con is adopted by a senior citizens' retirement community, and 4 teens barely survive a haunted house.

Rounded up because I enjoy stories with second chances.
Crystal Hammack
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed how Jodi Thomas gave each character their own story. I was eager to see what happened with each. Staten and Quinn, finally realizing they loved each other, and Lauren, Lucas, Yancy, and the other characters. There was suspense, romance, maturing in the story. I would love to read a sequel and I don't usually like sequels.
Patricia Trapani
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book held my interest but just barely. I thought the writing style was enjoyable but the story had no substance. I was half way through the book and wondering if anything was going to happen. Not a book I would recommend to my friends to read and to be honest, doubt I'd pick up another book by this author as I'd wonder if I would encounter another middle of the road read.
Nancy
Good story to start a new series. I think Yancy was my favorite along with the old folks of the Evening Shadows Retirement Community. This tale had several leading characters; each from a different generation.
Lauren is the youngest at 15 and Granny is at the other end of the spectrum. Staten is 43. Lovely ending too.
Lori Robinett
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are several subplots twined together to create a very comfortable, homey feeling. By the end of this book, I felt that I knew the area and the characters well. I loved that the various plot lines covered a wide range of individuals, from teenagers to older adults. Something for everyone in this book. I highly recommend it, and will definitely read more from this series.
Dawn
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jodi Thomas is quickly becoming one of my "Go To" authors for a good storyline! I started this series out of order (which really didn't matter, but I did miss some of the backstory on the characters in the 2nd book), and I've had to go out and buy ALL of the books in the series....It's Just That Good!!!! I highly recommend this author, this series, and this book!!!! Go Read It!!!!!! :)
Donna
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was much better than I expected going in. Really good and hard to put down. This is my first Jodi Thomas book and I am eager to read more of her books. If a good friend hadn't given me two of Thomas's books, I would probably never read any. I am so glad my friend gave me two of Thomas's books.
Sue Stewart
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Staten and Quinn - Lucas and Lauren - Yancy. Just amazingly awesome characters!
Each secondary character was a story within itself - especially the Retirement residents. Great book from page 1 till the end.
Can't wait to read more in the series!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fallen (Beartooth, Montana, #0.5)
  • Home for Christmas (Sanctuary Island #4)
  • Behind His Blue Eyes (Heroes of Heartbreak Creek, #1)
  • Heartsong Cottage (Eternity Springs, #10)
  • How to Marry a Cowboy (Cowboys & Brides, #4)
  • Soldier on Her Doorstep
  • Always a Cowboy (The Carsons of Mustang Creek, #2)
  • Going Home (Nugget, #1)
  • A Town Called Valentine (Valentine Valley #1)
  • Heart of a Texan (Night Riders, #7)
  • Montana Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #3)
  • The ABCs of Yoga for Kids
  • Draw Me Close (Hearts and Crafts, #3)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • The Last Real Cowboy / The Rancher's Runaway Princess (Cadence Creek Cowboys, #1)
  • Montana Destiny
  • The Calamity Janes: Cassie & Karen: Do You Take This Rebel?\Courting the Enemy
  • Don't Call Me Grandma
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.

Ransom Canyon (8 books)
  • Rustler's Moon (Ransom Canyon, #2)
  • Lone Heart Pass (Ransom Canyon, #3)
  • Sunrise Crossing (Ransom Canyon, #4)
  • Wild Horse Springs (Ransom Canyon, #5)
  • Indigo Lake (Ransom Canyon #6)
  • Mistletoe Miracles (Ransom Canyon, #7)
  • Christmas in Winter Valley (Ransom Canyon, #8)