Start by marking “Elwood Bigfoot: Wanted: Birdie Friends!” as Want to Read:
Elwood Bigfoot: Wanted: Birdie Friends!

Elwood Bigfoot: Wanted: Birdie Friends!

Elwood Bigfoot is big, clumsy, LOUD . . . and lonely. It's hard for him to make friends—especially with the tiny, delicate birdies he loves so much. Each flash of their feathers, each chirp and cheerful song helps him feel less alone. But whenever a birdie swoops by, and Elwood hollers at it to STAY, the scared creature flies away. He tries everything: sitting on a branch, ...more
Published September 1st 2015 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Elwood Bigfoot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elwood Bigfoot

Vera Godley
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a charming book illustrated in simple drawings that a child can grasp and identify with because they look similar to the drawings a child might make. The colors are primary and softened. Elmer has shaggy fur and dots for his eyes. The trees spiky. Flowers simple. Clouds just like Johnny or Susie might draw. So the initial connection a child can make of identifying with Elwood is with the illustrations.

The story is great for a picture book that is wonderful either read to young children o
Tori
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elwood loves birdies and wants to be their friend. But the birdies always fly away. What can he do to win them over?
I used this one for my pre-k storytime (as it's too long for the younger set) and it went over very well. We prefaced it with a little talk about how we would behave if we didn't want to scare the birds away, so the kids quickly cottoned to what Elwood was doing wrong in his attempts to befriend the birds. The art is great: crisp, clear, and colorful. It really pulled the kids in.
Jeanie  {coffee girl}
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Making friends is difficult to do, just ask Elwood Bigfoot. He is the only bigfoot in the forest and is trying to make a friend or two with the birdies. Unfortunately, he is big and scary to the cute little birds. He tries everything to get them to like him. Does he give up? Is he able to gain a friend?

This well illustrated picture book is relatable to all children who have found themselves alone; whether they are the new kid in the neighborhood, the new kid in school, or someone who has a diff
Joseph Crupper
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elwood is being himself and trying to attract friends, but it isn’t working. In the end, he learns that it sometimes just takes time to make friends.

I can’t wait to read this one to kids and see how they will react :)
Kasey Fernandez
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being an animal loving pacifist, I absolutely love this book! Boisterous Bigfoot Elwood lives birdies, but no matter what he tries he tends to scare them off by being too loud and excited. Finally, in his most exhausted moment Elwood calms down enough to make birdie friends and life is good.
Meg
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
An original tale of how life can be lonely sometimes, but persistence and an open heart will win friends in time. Fun language to match the strange little setting. :)
Lisa
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story for anyone who has desperately wanted a friend. Great to share at bedtime or with a class.
Kris Dersch
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
There's nothing wrong with this book, it just felt like it, like Elwood, was trying too hard.
Andrea
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable—I think kids will love this humorous tale of a very eager Bigfoot who desperately wants all the birdies to like him and be his friend.
Pam
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-picture
Great story and gorgeous illustrations combine for a delightful read.
Stacey
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun and touching story of one character's boisterous attempts to make friends.
Cathy Mealey
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All Elwood Bigfoot wants is a friend – preferably a feathered, flittery bird friend. But his earnestly clumsy bigfoot-y manner gets in his way time after time. How can a lonely, large, LOUD Bigfoot get close to his avian amigos-to-be?

Elwood tries the direct approach first, chasing after swooping birds and hollering for the birdies to come back. Alas, they only fly away. His next idea is to live in a tree, where he can be closer to the birds. His dedicated handiwork produces a lovely, log cabin s
Storywraps
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Elwood is a big, clunky, LOUD guy and he is extremely lonely. He does everything by himself and he desperately wants to make friends, especially with the birdies. He hears them chirping and sees them flitting here and there, having fun together. He truly wants to be their friend and part of their community. Every time a birdie swoops by and he yells "STAY", they freak out and fly quickly away.

He tries many different things to befriend them: he hangs out on a tree branch, makes himself a faux wo
Sheri
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a clever book about making friends with birds when Bigfoot is lonely. Hilarious zany story and will bring the listeners to laugh and comment on his choices of ways to become friends with the birds. A loveable big foot character is an interesting choice.
Juliana Lee
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kellee
Full review with teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=8212

Elwood Bigfoot is such an sweet character. Throughout I just wanted to jump into the book and give him a hug. He doesn’t deserve to be alone, but he has to figure out how to make friends in the situation he is in. Elwood’s story would be a great way to introduce character traits as well as how a plot propelled a change in a character. Although Elwood does stay true to himself in the end, he does change throughout. Additiona
Sandy Brehl
Elwood Bigfoot is a charmer and an empathetic character, seeking friendship with every good intention, thoughtful plans, and careful follow-through. Sadly, his overtures are counterproductive and it is only when he's exhausted to the point of just being himself that the friends he seeks take a chance on him. A fun story with real metaphor potential without being preachy or overbearing.
Erica Sonzogni
Everything about this book makes it one of my favorites. The illustrations are fabulous but the story is really what intrigues both adults and children. I loved the humor, excellent vocabulary words used throughout, and the heartwarming ending. It had all the makings of a new favorite picture book and Elwood Bigfoot is a character that is loved by all.
Ultra
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The story is endearing and delves into some surprising emotion which is balanced out by great humor and even greater illustrations. My nephew responds with laughter and sympathy and I enjoy reading it to him. A perfect book for toddlers and up.
Michele Knott
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh, the need to have friends. And to try and try but not always be successful.
Pair with Peter Brown's You Will Be My Friend.
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute story of friendship and belonging
Carrie
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-girls
My 2 year old loves this story!
Maria Marshall
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
A great book for examining the basis of friendship, being true to one's self, and self control.
Carrie Gelson
This book is all kinds of charming. Elwood is endearing and oh so vulnerable as he learns how to make friends in the forest. Such a wonderful read aloud.
Stephanie Gregory
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book for discussion about making friends and the perceptions of our actions on others.
Kate Hastings
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Grades k-4. Elwood is a big, loud, clumsy Bigfoot. He wants to be friends with the local birds, but he tries a little too hard. Sometimes you have to let other people find you, instead.
Jenny Lutes
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book on my blog Ruminating Mommy:

This is a sweet story and my 4 year old daughter loves it.
Tracie
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Elwood Bigfoot is lonely and just wants to be friends with the birds. He tries so hard, but all his attempts fail. Can he find a way? This is delightful!
Heather Jo
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Debbie Tanner
This would be a fun one to compare to Katie Loves the Kittens by John Himmelman.
Jill Esbaum is a full-time writer and author of I am Cow, Hear Me Moo!, I Hatched!, Stanza, and Tom’s Tweet, among many others. She lives on a farm with her husband and children in Dixon, IA.