Start by marking “George” as Want to Read:
George

George

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  15,101 Ratings  ·  3,335 Reviews
BE WHO YOU ARE. When people look at George, they think they see a boy. But she knows she's not a boy. She knows she's a girl.

George thinks she'll have to keep this a secret forever. Then her teacher announces that their class play is going to be Charlotte's Web. George really, really, REALLY wants to play Charlotte. But the teacher says she can't even try out for the part.
Published August 25th 2015 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about George, please sign up.

Jaden Diminno I have yet to read either book, however, I believe the main difference (and the reason George is getting more press) is that George is written by a…moreI have yet to read either book, however, I believe the main difference (and the reason George is getting more press) is that George is written by a trans author who is extremely active in the LGBTQ+ community whereas Gracefully Grayson is written by a cis author. This is also evident just from reading the blurbs about the books. Gracefully Grayson uses the whole "stuck in the wrong body" trope, whereas George isn't a girl born in a boys body. She's a girl who people perceive as a boy, which is a much more accurate representation of the trans community as a whole.(less)
Michael Bicak Hi GTown. I finished reading "George" last night. Yes, it is good. It is a wonderful, moving story for everyone. Anyone who has ever felt the least…moreHi GTown. I finished reading "George" last night. Yes, it is good. It is a wonderful, moving story for everyone. Anyone who has ever felt the least bit 'different' (in any way) will identify with this story. It is full of wonderful characters and deep emotion. I strongly recommend this book, without any hesitation whatsoever. My 12 year old daughter is just starting it. Hope this helps. (less)

Rick Riordan
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Middle grade contemporary fiction. This is a sweet, poignant novel about an elementary school student named George, who was born a boy but knows in her heart that she is a girl. When the chance comes to do the school's yearly production of Charlotte's Web, George knows that she wants to be Charlotte, the wise and kind mother spider, but will taking the role force her to reveal more about her true self than she is ready to share?

This is a fast read, great for giving elementary kids a glimpse of w
Emily May
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
George stopped. It was such a short, little question, but she couldn’t make her mouth form the sounds.
Mom, what if I’m a girl?

This might be the most important novel released this year. George is a sensitive, honest, and much-needed story about a girl who - biologically - was born as a boy.

The simplicity of the story makes it even more emotional. Alex Gino never tries too hard to turn this book into a lesson, and there is no attempt to make us cry, but - personally - I think the subtle sadness
Wendy Darling
This year, only two books have made me cry so hard I had to stop reading. This was one of them.

But it's not because it's sad--it's actually a sweet, hopeful book filled with the ordinary joys of childhood. It's more the understanding of how isolated the Georges of the world must feel, and the hope that every single one of us takes the time to listen, to understand, to be supportive, and to be kind.

Review to come.
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, borrowed
I honestly could not give this book any less than 5 stars. It was beautiful and heartwarming. I felt so much for George and really connected to her. This book is just so important, and whilst as a middle-grade this is an easy ready with a simple writing style, I think that everyone should read it.
Adam Silvera
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads, audiobook
L O V E D ! ! ! !
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, lgbtqia, young-adult
I think I'll be filming a video review about this one, so I'll keep it brief: This was fantastic. The writing was a bit too simple for my taste (it's written for children, so it makes sense) but other than that it was perfect.
Natalie
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diverse-reads
“My point is, it takes a special person to cry over a book. It shows compassion as well as imagination.”

This review contains *spoilers*.

I needed a breather after Crooked Kingdom, so George came at the perfect time for me to pick up. The premise of this middle-grade novel tells the story of Melissa, a ten-year-old girl who desperately wants to play Charlotte in her classroom’s theatrical production of Charlotte’s Web.

“I want to be Charlotte,” George whispered.
Kelly shrugged. “That’s cool. If you
Riley
This was so wonderful. I've said this before but I LOVE seeing LGBTQ+ middle grade books. Society has a problem of thinking these topics are inappropriate for kids and that is so backwards and harmful.
This is about George/Melissa, a 10 year old girl born as a boy. I loved how Gino used female pronouns through the entire book. This was so lovely to see, since George thought of herself as a girl. Gino explained what transgender means in such a simple way for kids to understand.
This book is so imp
Lola  Reviewer
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want to hug this book. I also want to hug George. Not only is this middle grade book heart-warming and engaging, it’s also eye-opening and important. Sadly, there are few books out there for children with transsexual characters, let alone main characters.

This book and GRACEFULLY GRAYSON are very similar. They don’t read the same way exactly (I enjoyed the former better), but they both deal with young transsexual characters who want desperately to be themselves but fear the reaction of others a
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Well, this was just exactly as good as everyone said it was. I'm so happy after finishing this.
Cait (Paper Fury)
omgggg I AM HAVING AN EMOTION. Maybe even two emotions (which is a lot for my Vulcan soul). George is a downright adorable and heartwarming book. I wasn't sure if I'd like it purely because I usually struggle with being engaged with MG, but the voice and writing were PERFECT and the story was completely engaging and I adored George herself. Seriously, by the end I was grinning like a complete goofy grape. THIS BOOK. MY HEART. <3

There are so many things to love in this book. A huge one is the
Stephanie
4 solid stars... sensitively written realistic middle-school story about what it's like to be a transgender kid...

I picked up this book because it had won so many awards, including being a nominee for Goodreads Choice Award for Middle School last year. I never expected to enjoy it so much!

Although anatomically a male, 10-year-old George has identified as a girl for as far back as she can remember. She wants to be accepted for who she is, but is terrified at how to tell people, including her moth
Kai
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
“It takes a special person to cry over a book. It shows compassion as well as imagination.”

This book had me right from the start. George is such a sweet and special character. You want to hug her and tell her everything will be alright.
I don't think I need to tell people how important representation is, especially for kids. I hope this book will help readers understand and open their eyes, as well as help many families and children in similar situations.

Find more of my books on Instagram
Josu
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-1-marzo
A George le dicen que es un chico, pero no siente que lo sea. Una novela sobre conocerse a sí mismo, ser aceptado y aceptarse.

La historia que me he encontrado en esta novela me ha sorprendido y gustado a partes iguales. No me esperaba un tono tan 'infantil', pero creo que es justamente lo que la novela necesitaba. Una niña de unos diez años encerrada en un cuerpo de chico vive una pesadilla continúa, teniendo que ocultar su verdadera identidad de su familia, amigos y compañeros de clase.

Con esce
Whitney Atkinson
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is so lovely, well-done, and important! I wish I would have read this as a kid and I just adore the fact that it exists, especially as a kid's book. George's story is so relevant and heart touching and I love the way that this one was done! I just took a star off because since it is middle grade the writing was a bit simplistic, but it was still very quick and I will definitely be recommending this to people as an LGBTQ+ read!
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, own-voices
I'm so happy that this book exists.
May
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
UNA NOVELA SENCILLA Y CERCANA A LA QUE LE FALTRA PROFUNDIDAD Y MADUREZ.

George es una novela contemporánea con una protagonista transexual de diez años. Una novela que nos hace reflexionar, que pone el tema de la transexualidad sobre la mesa pero, que a mi gusto, se queda corta y está poco argumentada. Me ha faltado profundizar la transexualidad, me ha faltado romper con los estereotipos sobre la transexualidad y darle un poco más de contenido a la historia no centrándola solo en la cuestión de
emily
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This book is so important. I mean, so important .

George explains what transgender means and how it's manifested in kids and what it feels like for kids who are trans so simply and in a way that is so easy to understand. Granted, I am 19 years old and already know pretty well what transgender means but really Alex Gino put George/Melissa's situation in such simple terms that this has to be true. The best thing that Gino did in George was to refer to George in female pronouns the entire novel
Lindsey Rey
Words cannot express my love for this book. I highly recommend it to EVERYONE!
Sarah Churchill
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love everything about this. I really felt for George's character, who I think is relatable to a lot of people whether they're trans or not. I'm happy to be living at a time where books like this are available to young people, and I really hope its message can help promote acceptance and understanding in everyone; teachers and parents included.
Carlos De Eguiluz
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
"George" es la simple y linda historia de una niña llamada Melissa, quien a sus diez años no quiere ni ansía nada más que ser Charlotte, el personaje que merece y le corresponde en la obra teatral de su escuela. ¿El problema? Melissa es un George... o al menos eso es lo que todos a su alrededor ven.
Melissa se siente atrapada en un cuerpo que no le corresponde, teme mirar su órgano extraño al bañarse, aborrece la clase de gimnasia y a sus asquerosos compañeros del sexo opuesto. Sin embargo, y a
Hannah Greendale
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
George is a children's book unlike any other and is much needed in today's ever changing, ever transitioning world.

George looks like a boy on the outside, but on the inside she knows she's a girl. When it's announced that George's class will perform Charlotte's Web for the school play, George yearns to be cast as Charlotte. But Charlotte is a girl's part, and George can't even tryout because everyone thinks she's a boy. George sets her sights on playing Charlotte and devises a plan to prove who
LB
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth, coming-of-age
This review is also posted at http://readingnookandcranny.blogspot....

Before I get into my review of this story, I need to tell you a little bit about myself, because my own personal experiences heavily impacted my thoughts on this novel.

When I was in elementary school, I did swim team and softball. In middle school, I gravitated towards martial arts and rock climbing. In high school, I played a lot of tennis, basketball and bowling. I went to college to go work in motorsports. Starting in middl
Farith

A must read for all those who have ever felt different than the average.

In George we follow the story of this child that everybody sees as a boy but what they don't know is that he is actually a she.
There's not really a lot to say about this book, just that it's an important read that can teach you tons of things about trans people. It's also important that kids start to learn and get involved
Martitara
Desde mi desconocimiento del tema, creo que refleja de manera realista la situación de los niños transexuales hoy en día y las posibles reacciones de su entorno.
Pero aparte de lo "valiente" del tema y lo acertado del enfoque, es una novela sencilla en la que no he encontrado nada más.
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

First of all, I am so happy that this book exists. More books like this need to exist. George is one of those books that is beyond important, especially because it is written for the middle grade audience. I have come across a few other novels that deal with the same themes as George, but none of them have been written for children.

George is about a young girl who is trapped in a young boy’s body. George knows she is a girl and she is beginning to experience the effects of feeling stuck in the w
Jonathan
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW!!!

I don't want someone to see this one star rating and instantly write this off as someone who was offended by this book so they gave it one star. That is not the case at all. In fact I'm sure enough people are going to comment and share their opinions about the topics of this book that I'm not even going to bothering chiming in. The fact is it doesn't matter because there is a super tangible reason why no one should ever read this book. The writing is straight up terribl
Romie
“But the world isn't always good to people who are different. I just don't want you to make your road any harder than it has to be.”
“Trying to be a boy is really hard.”

George was assigned male at birth, but she's known most of her life that she's a girl. But nobody knows. Nobody knows about the magazines in her closet she looks at when she's feeling sad, or that she wants to play Charlotte at her school's representation of Charlotte's Web. Nobody, until she comes out to her best friend Kelly.
Whe
Bruna Miranda
3,75 - Se alguém tem alguma duvida sobre como conversar com crianças sobre identidade de gênero, cá está George.
A escrita do livro é perfeita - simples, sem comprometer a narrativa ou menosprezar a capacidade de jovens leitores entenderem o assunto. Só o fato de usar os pronomes femininos desde a primeira página já faz toda a diferença na conversa.
O livro é realmente ideal para ser adotado em escolas, principalmente nos EUA, graças à vários fatores (idade dos personagens, cenário escolar, ter re
Melanie
THERE WERE A LOT OF FEELS. Defs going down as one of my all time faves.

RTC.
What do we think about this book? How do we feel? 3 24 Jul 01, 2017 05:48AM
Read-along: DT Junho | George 20 25 Jun 23, 2017 03:17PM
Around the Year i...: George, by Alex Gino 3 16 Apr 19, 2017 05:25AM
Play Book Tag: George- Alex Gino 5 stars 1 10 Nov 20, 2016 01:49PM
The Ishpeming Fam...: May 2016 1 7 Apr 15, 2016 10:31AM
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever #2)
  • Lily and Dunkin
  • Listen, Slowly
  • Raymie Nightingale
  • This Day in June
  • Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Gaither Sisters, #3)
  • Ruby on the Outside
  • Save Me a Seat
  • A Handful of Stars
  • The Truth About Twinkie Pie
  • Kinda Like Brothers
Alex Gino loves glitter, ice cream, gardening, awe-ful puns, and stories that reflect the diversity and complexity of being alive.

When Alex started writing GEORGE in 2003, they had no idea how long a journey it would be, but the hole in children’s literature was clear, and they knew how they wanted to fill it. Now, after countless revisions, breaks of frustration, and days spent staring at drafts
More about Alex Gino...

“My point is, it takes a special person to cry over a book. It shows compassion as well as imagination...Don't ever lose that” 89 likes
“George stopped. It was such a short, little question, but she couldn't make her mouth form the sounds.
Mom, what if I'm a girl?
19 likes