Start by marking “I Survived the Joplin Tornado, 2011 (I Survived, #12)” as Want to Read:
I Survived the Joplin Tornado, 2011 (I Survived, #12)

I Survived the Joplin Tornado, 2011

(I Survived #12)

A destructive force is about to hit the city of Joplin...
Eleven-year-old Dexter has always wanted to see a tornado. So when he gets the incredible opportunity to go storm chasing with the famous Dr. Norman Rays, he has to say yes! Dr. Rays is the host of Tornado Mysteries, the show that Dex and his older brother, Jeremy, watched every night until Jeremy joined the U.S.
Published August 25th 2015 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Start your review of I Survived the Joplin Tornado, 2011 (I Survived, #12)
Hanna
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a former Joplin resident and someone who lost their apartment in the tornado, I can say that this book is accurate yet still appropriate for the younger crowd. Tarshis clearly did her research and doesn't sensationalize just for more readers, but paints this vividly and honestly, being respectful towards the many that lost homes and lives.
As a librarian, I am confident that the second I put this on the shelf, there will be a hold list immediately.
Carie
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
These books are clearly written for about 3rd-4th graders. The writing is choppy and simple (even cheesy). Living only 1 hr from Joplin, the topic holds interest for our students. But I was really bothered by this line on page 5: "Poor Zeke was probably the ugliest dog in southeastern Missouri." Hmmm...last time I checked, Joplin was it southwestern Missouri. Bad editing.
Lauren Kester
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Personal Response
I read the book I Survived the Joplin Tornado, 2011 by Lauren Tarshis. This was a good book because it had a historical event. I liked this book because it was a quick read. The author did well on describing the events in the book.

Plot
Dexter was an eleven year old boy. He lived with his parents. His brother, Jeremy, was a U.S. Navy SEAL. Dex had an interest in storm chasing. Dex met Dr. Norman Ray, a storm chaser. Dr. Ray asked Dex if he wanted to go storm chasing with him.
Sarah Monzon
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
7year old thought this one was a little scary.
Danielle Russell
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ok this is now officially my favorite in the I Survived series. I was a little hesitant to listen to it because it was so recent, but it's an incredibly important book to read, especially if you live in "Tornado Alley". Lauren Tarshis is an amazing story teller, bringing fictional characters to life in the setting of true, catastrophic events. I've luckily never experienced being in a tornado *knocks on wood*, but her descriptions are vivid and accurate. Like her other books, at the end she ...more
Drew Vandervest
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response: I enjoyed reading this book because it talked about the damages that a tornado can do. I also liked the main character Dex because he was humble and nice. I like I Survived books because it talks about disasters and the damage it did. I like the main character Dex because he was brave enough first aid Dr. Gage after the tornado hit and that saved his life. Dexs parents made a bad decision for letting their twelve year old son go storm chasing. I feel bad for Dexs family ...more
Angie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of Dexter's survival of the Joplin tornado. Living in Missouri the Joplin tornado is something I am pretty familiar with. I remember seeing pictures of the destruction on the news. These stories are written so that kids can understand these terrible events as they experience them through the eyes of someone their own age. Are they the best written books? Not really, but kids love them. They are fast-paced and full of action. I actually enjoyed this story a bit more than ...more
Osorio Salvador
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think that this book is very interesting. Its fun and it's a page turner. The author goes into a lot of detail in the story, and it's cool because he explains everything. Like, the beginning is very interesting because it's about a boy who know his neighbors, and his brother is in the army. Isn't that something you would like to read??? I recommend this book to anyone who is into natural disaster type of things, and twisty things...see what I did there?
Kevin
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good book! I read this over my spring break. Books like this are my favorite type of books! I really like reading about natural disasters or biographies on people, and this book really had me interested & hooked. Everything from the Cover to the text was spot on and really had me. I love movies chasing tornadoes and this book also had a section of that. Author did a great job of making a 74-page book a large book of information, very well done!!
Brittany
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is actually one of the better ones in the series. The scene in the end where the tornado tries to suck the SUV off the ground with Dex and Dr. Gage inside, was actually quite exciting. I am sure it would be even more so for young readers. Pretty good!
Evan'S Brother
Dex was riding down the street on his bike and ran into a friend. They were planning to go away to have fun in a different state. When they were gone a tornado struck and Dex was with a storm chaser. He ended up helping him. but you won't guess how...
Alicia Thompson
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY 8YO TOLD ME TO READ THIS AND THEN CAUGHT ME OUT WITH A POP QUIZ WHEN I HADNT BUT NOW . . . BRING IT ON! ...more
Edison
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book because it had alot of action. I think my friends should read this book because I think they may find it interesting. I learned if there ever is a tornado I know what to do.
Austin W
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
i liked when his dog saved him and he loved him after that
Kim Hampton
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great way to teach kids about tornadoes, including what to do if they get caught by one.
Mrs.Morgan
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have never read an I Survived book before (can you believe it?!). It is the tale end of the year, and my students needed something within historical fiction that was FAST. This ended up being it.

What a really great story for younger grades. If all I Survive books are like this, I can see why they are popular. I definitely enjoyed it for what it was.
Margie
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great series of stories and actual historic facts combined.
Tyler
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
The book I survived the Joplin tornado was an over-all interesting book. There where so many twist and turns that you would not expect, witch kept you on the edge of your seat. Also Lauren Tarishis made the book so realistic that you could actually relate to your self. So this was an Over-all great book and I recommend it to all of you.
Ethan
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hunter Hayes
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was very interesting to read because I can connect to this book. I have always wondered what would happen if I saw a tornado and thought it would be cool to storm chase as Dexter did in this book. But no realizing what could happen I find it to something that would not be fun. What I thought of this story it was average. I didn't enjoy it that much but I could connect to it.
Jennifer Hendzlik
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Truthfully, I was fully prepared to hate this book. In the first few pages when the author referred to Joplin as being in SouthEAST Missouri (I have a DRC, I hope it is corrected in the print) I felt vindicated but I think I'm going to cut this book some slack. Here's why.

Dexter is an 11-year-old resident of Joplin, MO (been there, done that) who is fascinated with tornadoes and misses his brother who is a Navy SEAL. On the Sunday of high school graduation, his parents, who are teachers, must
Cedrik Vb
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

I SURVIVED The Joplin Tornado 2011

I survived the Joplin Tornado of 2011 is a story about a 11 year old boy named Dexter who wants to see a Tornado because before his brother Jeremy, went to join the navy SEALs , they used to watch Dr. Norman Gages show Tornado mysteries,

One day, while Dexter, was riding his bike with Zekie, called The ugliest dog in Missouri, trailing. Dexter was thinking about Jeremy when he missed the stop sign and a car almost hit him but Zekie knocked Dexter down just
Christi
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read the epub to my 10 year old as she sat in the ER. It was informative enough and moved quickly enough to keep her mind occupied and pass the time more quickly as we awaited test results. I think my favorite thing about the book was that it provided a springboard for discussion on the science and terminology of tornadoes and real world events--including some discussion of the Parkersburg tornado. This will always be a relative topic for our family as said tornado demolished our friends' ...more
Annalise Bowman
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like realistic fistion

I Survived the Joplin Tornado, 2011 is about a boy named Dexter and how he managed to survive a tornado that killed 158 and injured more than one thousand. The day of the tornado he was helping a stormchaser when they realized the blob they saw on the radar wasnt just a small thunderstorm it would be a tornado that would rip through the town of Joplin and destroy many businesses and homes.

I thought this was a very good book. The characters were realistic. I liked how you could read the
Allison
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought I was going to read a couple chapters and then go to bed...oops, nope! I couldn't put it down!

I had never read one of the books in this series so I thought I would read this one about Joplin because I was living in MO when this happened and remember that day it happened. Even though I lived about 3 1/2 hours away we were still affected by the storm. So crazy to think about now.

Fast and engaging chapters with lots of cliffhangers!
Blake B
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-already, 7gla
The book is about a young boy who watches a TV show of a storm chaser and almost gets run over by the same guy and the guy that almost ran over him invited him to chase a very large tornado hitting Joplin. he faced hard challenges when dealing inside the Tornado like keeping cover while spinning in circles etc.
I think the book was very intense and is a big nail biter. it also was like a cliffhanger in a way at the end of some chapters.
Pam  Page
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the I Survived series. As usual Tarshis provides information at the back to provide the non-fiction aspect of the story as well as extensive sources that show her research. While this could be a little scary for children who live in tornado states, it also provides good information about surviving tornadoes and understanding how they are sometimes undetected.
Sean Ford
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think the best part of this book is when they get into the problem of the story. In this case it's the Joplin Tornado. I think out of all of the I Survived books I think this one had the most damage in it. I like this books because they go back in History and and then the author writes about that tragedy. I'll give this book 5 stars
Ben
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great addition to the I survived series. There was a lot of action and this was the first time the author made a book about a tornado. It was sad at parts and sometimes scary but it was a very good book.
Was it smart for "Dex" to go out in he storm with "Dr. Gage"? 1 1 Nov 27, 2017 03:40PM
RDNG 636 Fall 2015: Survival/Resilience. 1 2 Oct 07, 2015 07:42PM

• Who Was Elvis Presley?
  • The Land of the Spring Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #14)
  • Winter of the Ice Wizard (Magic Tree House, #32)
  • Dog Man: For Whom the Ball Rolls (Dog Man, #7)
  • What Was D-Day?
  • Complete Maxims and Thoughts (The Works of Sébastien-Roch Nicolas Chamfort)
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 7: Do-You-Think-He-Saurus?!
  • Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas (Dog Man, #5)
  • The Snowy Day Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #24)
  • Who Was George Washington?
  • Don't Tell The Enemy
  • I Survived The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 : A Graphix Book
  • Where Is the Bermuda Triangle?
  • Dog Man (Dog Man, #1)
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Pod vs. Pod (Squish, #8)
Lauren Tarshis often wonders how she came to spend most of her waking moments thinking about disasters, as the author of the children's historical fiction series "I Survived." Each book takes readers into the heart of history's most thrilling and terrifying events, including the sinking of the Titanic, the Shark Attacks of 1916, Hurricane Katrina, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the San Francisco ...more

I Survived (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (I Survived, #1)
  • I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 (I Survived, #2)
  • I Survived Hurricane Katrina, 2005 (I Survived, #3)
  • I Survived the Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941 (I Survived, #4)
  • I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (I Survived, #5)
  • I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 (I Survived, #6)
  • I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (I Survived, #7)
  • I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944 (I Survived, #9)
  • I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79 (I Survived, #10)