Start by marking “The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall” as Want to Read:
The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall

The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  6,093 ratings  ·  1,006 reviews
In this asylum, your mind plays tricks on you all the time…

Delia’s new house isn’t just a house. Long ago, it was the Piven Institute for the Care and Correction of Troubled Females—an insane asylum nicknamed “Hysteria Hall.” However, many of the inmates were not insane, just defiant and strong willed. Kind of like Delia herself.

But the house still wants to keep “troubled”
Published August 25th 2015 by Point

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall, please sign up.
Jessica B Sadly no, but you can use your imagination.
Charlie No on the front cover is Florence with buttercups if any of you read when she was described you'd notice that.…moreNo on the front cover is Florence with buttercups if any of you read when she was described you'd notice that.(less)

·  6,093 ratings  ·  1,006 reviews

Start your review of The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I understood why Aunt Cordelia had dragged herself out to the road before committing suicide. Why she hadn’t let herself die on the property.
Because then she would have been stuck forever.
Like me.
There was nothing particularly brilliant about this book, but it was well-written, it was surprisingly thoughtful, and above all it was entertaining. In a week filled with terrible, boring books, this was a breath of fresh air. Strange to say that about a horror novel, but it is what it is.

The blurb
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Observations Made After The Fact

Every fairy tale starts the same: Once upon a time.

Maybe that's why we love them so much. We all get to be part of that story. Just by existing, you get your once upon a time. It's part of the deal.

What's not part of the deal, it turns out, is the happily ever after.

Delia, her parents and little sister go to stay at Hysteria Hall. Delia inherited the home from her aunt Cordelia. Little did they know, the house used to be an insane asylum. Surprise!

Some horr
Wendy Darling

INSANE ASYLUM FOR GIRLS. That's enough to get anyone's attention, but unlike many slick, cheap-thrills books that quickly bore me, The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall is one of the most well-crafted YA horror books I've read in ages. It's a short but surprisingly thoughtful book, with good creepiness and suspense and sadness, as well as the right balance of teenage snark and feeling. It's hard to juggle humor and darkness, but the author does a great job of that here.

Thoroughly enjoyed--ful
jv poore
Precisely what I wanted from practically every book I picked up in high school; I simply cannot wait to share The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall with “my” students. Teen-age angst, quintessentially captured in the sharp, witty and biting dialogue creates characters that are real and relatable. Fabulous and freaky foreshadowing sets a quick, compelling pace making this a page-turner that causes the reader to declare “one more chapter” many, many times. The sprawling haunted house/former institution ...more
Sarah Elizabeth
This wasn’t a bad story, but I did feel quite bored whilst reading it.

I felt quite sorry for Delia, what happened to her wasn’t very fair, and having to then try to save the lives of the rest of her family was a tall order too.

The storyline in this was about Delia inheriting an old mansion which had once housed ‘hysterical’ females, and also inheriting the ghosts that haunted the place. I did find the pace in this quite slow though, and I felt bored during the majority of the book.

The ending to
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3.75 stars!!!

I ended up liking this book a lot more than I thought I would! This book is about a teen named Delia who with her family has traveled to an estate left to Delia by her Aunt who recently passed. Upon arrival they find the house is actually a former institute for troubled young girls. The more time Delia spends there, the more freaked out she becomes until eventually she discovers the place in indeed haunted. Delia must find a way to get rid of the evil in the house in order to save
Beverly
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-horror
Another young adult book and another very good one, The Dead Girls Of Hysteria Hall, is not as good as The Witch of Blackbird Pond, but it was very thoughtful and meaningful. I wanted a scary Halloween read, but this wasn't that sort of book. It was more about personal growth and trusting your instincts and not judging a book or people or ghosts by their cover.

Delia is a typical teenager with parents who don't trust her judgment after a failed attempt to go on a holiday with no adult supervisio
Taylor Knight
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall is one of the most entertaining books that I've read in a long time. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this book but I ended up reading this whole thing in one day and really enjoyed.
Not much about this book was extremely original but it was well written and very enjoyable. The main character, Delia, was very teenager-y but not necessarily in a bad way. I didn't really find The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall very scary, just a little creepy. But then again, it's h
Dannii Elle
Delia Piven inherited her name from her estranged Great Aunt Cordelia and, years later after her mysterious death, her grand countryside home. With the local nickname of 'Hysteria Hall', a reputation for having 'things go bump in the night' and a generally foreboding and neglected atmosphere the Piven's family stay there was always sure to be... interesting!

The novel opened in an entirely predicted fashion and the plot seemed like an amalgamation of numerous spooky films I have seen. That is unt
Mara
Oct 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is a cheesefest of wasted potential. If you're looking for a scary Halloween read, this shallow ghost story is not for you. I'm giving 2 stars for the character of Maria, who I think would've made a far better leading lady. Alas, if you're easily scared (as in, no eerie atmosphere to find anywhere in this book along with a most obvious mystery), this is for you. ...more
Irene Sim
Every fairy tale starts the same: Once Upon A Time.
Maybe that’s why we love them so much. We all get to be part of that story. Just by existing, you get your once upon a time. It’s part of the deal.
What’s not part of the deal, it turns out, is the happily ever after.

Another solid read from Katie Alender. She captures teenage phych, emotions and angst with excellent prose.

I liked the division of the story in two parts, before and after the fact. I liked even more the short paragraphs between cha
Deanna

I made graphics for this book, because I really, really, really, really, really liked it? It was so original, spooky, heartbreaking, mysterious, and driven at the same time. I loved it? I loved the character development. I loved all the friendships. I loved the lack of focus on romance. I loved the lack of slut-shamming. This is a perfect ya mystery/horror novel.

4.5 / 5 stars
Beatrice Masaluñga
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall is one of those horror novels that isn't as scary as it seems. Though it's set on an asylum (which is creepy) but the story just didn't lived up with it. The writing style is decent and I'm somehow entertained with a bunch of ghost characters. Each of them had their own stories that will make you curious.

The story is about a young girl, Delia who inherited a house from her great aunt, Cordelia. It turns out it's an old asylum and it's believe to be haunted. There
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have yet to read a book by Alender that hasn't thoroughly creeped me out, entertained me, and left me with so many thoughts in my head, it was hard to put them all together, but of course, in the most wonderful way possible.

She truly has become my go to author when I want something that will scare me but not so much that I have nightmares and am up all night with the lights on. Her latest novel fit right in with my expectations for her.

Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall was everything I was hoping i
Sierra Winfield
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I find that this book is extremely creepy. There were definitely some twists in here that I didn't expect, but that's what made the book in my opinion. I really enjoyed this book, and as you can tell I was immediately sucked into Delias world because I just couldn't put the book down until I was done with it. I will have a more in depth review up on my blog hopefully tomorrow, so you guys can check there if your interested. the web address is on my site here. I was finding myself hoping at least ...more
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I didn't find this book scary. I really haven't found any YA horror/paranormal book scary though. The story wasn't anything particularly new or creative but the author managed to get me to care about the characters - a lot I didn't even notice how much I liked the characters until near the end when I might have gotten a little choked up. I mean it came out of nowhere or maybe it was just dusty in my room lol Either way I really enjoyed this read, something about it was charming to me.

Full revie
Ellen Gail
I didn’t need some old-timey, know-it-all ghosts following me around dead-shaming me.

Surprisingly thoughtful & funny, The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall was just downright fun to read! It's light on the horror side, but does bring some scares and plenty of character goodness.

A quick and delightful book that was well worth my time.
Paige  Bookdragon
Two things:

1. Don't mind the lousy cover.The book is engaging.

2.This would have been a four star if the last four chapters of the book has been better.

The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall is not a scary book but the suspense in the first 60% is good (well, some might find it scary but I wasn't scared while reading this ). I love the fact that around 30%, the author gave the readers a "what-the-hell" twist. I certainly didn't expect that to happen.

The heroine is kinda funny and she can be easy to rela
TL
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 to three stars

On one hand, it was very easy to get lost in and it was something different. A nice spooky read for when you have a lazy day and/or some time to kill.

On the other... it felt like there was.. something 'missing'. Can't quite put my finger on it but... maybe I expected more? Dunno...

The ending was nice but it felt rushed in a few places to me.

Would sort of recommend
Tegan
Feb 17, 2015 marked it as to-read
ANOTHER HORROR BOOK BY KATIE ALENDER?!

Gimme now!!!

AUGUST?! I guess that gives me enough time to re-read the Bad Girls Don't Die trilogy to get me ready! :)
Katerina  Kondrenko
2.5 out of 10

ревью на русском/review in russian

Honestly, I didn't like the book. It was readable but predictable, troped, and cheesy. Any possible cliche was here. Paranormal creatures acted like people, like modern people, even though most of them were born centuries ago and had no chance to interact with nowadays folks to learn.

(view spoiler)
Book Riot Community
This is a lot of creepy fun, and a great way to kill time while you wait for the new season of American Horror Story! It's set in an asylum - nothing scary ever happens in those, right? Headstrong young Delia quickly learns that the house she moved into used to be an insane asylum for troubled girls. And just because they're dead, it doesn't mean they're not still troubled! And they want Delia to join them. Now she's in a race to discover the truth about Hysteria Hall before it's too late for he ...more
lookingforabura
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok

Decent writing but not as scary as I expected it to be... It would have been great but it lacked that "scary element" that it's supposed to be.
rachel ☾
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was ok

I wish I had something more constructive to say other than this "wasn't for me", but that's the majority of my thoughts about this book summed up. I don't know exactly what I was expecting from this story but I guess I was hoping for something along the lines of Say Her Name: heart-stopping horror, great camaraderie and friendship, a spooky school setting... you get the picture. Without going into too much detail ('cause spoilers), this story is more about ghosts and Delia trying to fig
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
As soon as I first saw the title and cover of The Dead Girls Of Hysteria Hall I knew this was a book that I wanted to read, the blurb only made me even more eager for it, so receiving an ARC for review had me very excited.

I don't generally read a lot of books that feature ghosts, only because I like to read before bed and reading something like this creeps me out, in the dark at night, every little sound having you second guess what is making that noise, it got to the point where it was freaking
Kelly
Alender can write suspense! This fast-paced, compelling ghost story is full of twists and turns and it is a completely delightful, fun horror read through and through. Almost no blood or gore, this one relies entirely on Gothic-style spooks. Love it. Love it. Love it. It hit all of my buttons when it comes to a good creepy read. Delia was a GREAT narrator, and there were moments this made me laugh out loud because her voice and her thoughts were funny.
thepessimisticreader
Meredith
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-releases
As a lover of all things horror, I’m always keeping an eye out for creepy YA novels. Sadly, most of them don’t live up to my expectations. But The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall was full of epicness and creepiness! From the great writing to the awesome characters and the suspenseful plot, this book is definitely up there on my favorites list!

Before I get into the heart of this review, a little side note: This book sucked me in so much, I had trouble keeping detailed notes because I just read and re
Jonas
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book wasn't bad, but i expected a lot more tension. ...more
Kim Friant
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
very good!!! it kept me guessing the whole time and i couldn't put it down!!! so so so good!!!!!!!!! ...more

• The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #1)
  • The Sacrifice of Sunshine Girl (Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #3)
  • The Awakening of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #2)
  • Dead Girls Don't Lie
  • Frozen Charlotte (Frozen Charlotte, #1)
  • Daughters Unto Devils
  • What Waits in the Woods
  • Catacomb (Asylum, #3)
  • Asylum (Asylum, #1)
  • The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall
  • Sanctum (Asylum, #2)
  • The Doll Graveyard: A Hauntings Novel
  • The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
  • The Ravenous
  • You Can't Hide (Shadow House, #2)
  • The Ghost of Graylock
  • Escape from Asylum (Asylum, #0)
  • The Women in the Walls
Katie Alender (rhymes with “calendar”!) grew up in South Florida. She is the third of four children (three girls and a boy) and the child of three very loving and encouraging parents.

She attended high school at the Palm Beach County School of the Arts, studying Communication Arts. From there, she went on to the Florida State University Film School, which led her to her current hometown, a tiny ham