Start by marking “Clockwork Lives (Clockwork Angels, #2)” as Want to Read:
Clockwork Lives (Clockwork Angels, #2)

Clockwork Lives

(Clockwork Angels #2)

Some lives can be summed up in a sentence or two. Other lives are epics.

In Clockwork Angels , #1 bestselling author Kevin J. Anderson and legendary Rush drummer and lyricist Neil Peart created a fabulous, adventurous steampunk world in a novel to accompany the smash Rush concept album of the same name. It was a world of airships and alchemy, clockwork carnivals,
Published September 15th 2015 by ECW Press (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Clockwork Lives, please sign up.
Mark I agree with Holly - this novel stands on its own beautifully. But, of course, after reading it, you'll likely be curious to explore more characters…moreI agree with Holly - this novel stands on its own beautifully. But, of course, after reading it, you'll likely be curious to explore more characters and places in the Clockwork universe that Anderson & Peart created.(less)

Start your review of Clockwork Lives (Clockwork Angels, #2)
Christie Perez
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a HUGE lifelong Rush fan and now a Kevin J. Anderson fan, I could not wait for this book to be released. I loved Clockwork Angels and love Clockwork Lives just as much much, if not more!!! This book enhances the first book as you go back to the steampunk-esque world that Kevin and Neil have created. It fills in gaps and answers many questions that left Clockwork Angels readers wanting to know more. Add the ever so subtle Rush lyric drops (plus the not so subtle Rush references) and you also ...more
Megan Baxter
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Based on a Rush concept album, huh? Second book in the series? There's actually quite a lot to like here, and the central conceit is interesting enough, but it suffers by never quite bringing the disparate threads together to become a cohesive whole. Also from having a main character who is initially so single-mindedly conformist as to be cartoony.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.
Cathy
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
It's a beautiful book, with the embossed cover that's supposed to look like the cover of Marinda's book (which is really the star of the book). The paper is thick and parchment-looking throughout, which is really nice. I could be wrong, but I think I complained about only the first pages of chapters looking like parchment the last time. Either way, it's a lovely look and an easy way to set the tone. The drawings at the beginnings of each "epic" tale were charming. These books are just a lot more ...more
Fred Hughes
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is not really about the steampunk world and all the wonders within it. It is rather a human interest story about a woman who lives a very methodical and orderly life until her father dies and forces her to embrace the unknown of the world and register the stories of their lives.

For a steampunk focused story look at authors like George Mann who has this genre nailed down.

It also appears to be written for a younger crowd
Dag
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I must say that I have neither read Clockwork Angels nor am I a big Rush fan, but Clockwork Lives stands very well on its own merit and it was a very enjoyable read. After finishing Clockwork Lives I really want to see more from the world they have created. There seem to be so many stories that can still be told in this interesting universe. Highly recommended.

I have also had the pleasure of interviewing Kevin J Andersen about this release, more about that in my Kevin J. Anderson interview .
Michael
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For whatever reason I've been kinda burned out on writing reviews as I polish books off my list, but I will say this for 'Clockwork Lives' - fantastic read. 'Clockwork Angels' was really good, and was like shooting fish in a barrel for this diehard Rush fan, but CL was even better. Basically a steampunk 'Canterbury Tales' (as ECW Press mentions in their own ads) that fleshes out the world of Albion introduced in the first book.

And the hardcover edition is friggin' gorgeous.
Ethan Capp
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular book. Every chapter was so beautifully crafted and put together. I loved each character introduced and the story that came with them. Speaking of which the actual concept of the book was so fricken cool, that's what really got me into the book initially.
Becky Carr
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, steampunk
In this steampunk adaptation of The Canterbury Tales, Kevin J. Anderson and Neil Peart create a world rich with character and adventure.
While the primary narration is told in the third person following Merinda Peake’s journey to fill her book with stories, the individual tales are told in the first person. This is an unusual, but intelligent way to let the stories grow. The characters become more real. It’s not a book you can easily put down.
While this is the second book in the Clockwork Angels
Christine
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a lovely book with a happy ending, of which I am not used to, but did enjoy.
Jess
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked this off the shelf because of the beautiful cover (My sister and I are both suckers for gold embossing), unaware that it was the second in a series. It's structured as a bunch of vignettes about various "interesting characters" in a steampunky, vaguely dystopian world, which is ruled over by the Watchmaker. The framing device is the journey of Marinda, an unassuming woman from back-end-of-nowhere Lugtown, who is left a quest by her late father to go off and have adventures, and fill a ...more
Voldenuit
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
A book whose reach exceeds its grasp.

Clockwork Lives aims for a mythic quality that it never attains, hampered largely by its inability to portray its characters with nuance and versimilitude. Characters are writ large with broad brush strokes that reduce them to caricature. Diegetically, this could be explained away by the in-universe mechanic which transcribes their lives to the reader, but this explanation fails to explain why the protagonist is herself so one-dimensional.

Sadly, the book is
Mark
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with this story from the very first words. Anderson, Peart, you had me at those opening two lines: "Some lives can be summed up in a sentence or two. Other lives are epic."

The book motif of collecting adventures, the bookshop mirror and the multiple worlds, were elements of magic that I enjoyed escaping into while reading this tale.
Tom
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a fun read. It is not really a sequel to Clockwork Angels. It takes place in the same world but with a new cast of characters.
Holly
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun! The clockwork universe is made more wonderful with sprinklings of Rush lyrics. But the story itself and the evolution of Miranda's character really made this a wonderful read!
EJ Roberts
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While Clockwork Lives is technically a follow-up book to Clockwork Angels, there isn’t any real need to read the other book first. Both are self-contained, but if you read Clockwork Angels first, you will see the same characters making an appearance here.

I picked up this book on the recommendation of a friend. I was playing with the idea of how you take short stories and link them together with an overall narrative. That’s what you get here and it is amazing.

Marinda Peake gave up everything in
Judah-Ben Morales
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Better than its predecessor, Clockwork Lives is a fabulous reading experience, which beautifully depicts and develops its main character from beginning to end, while leaving a powerful lesson of making the most out of your life. Its poetic and intelligent choice of words stirs the imagination, and its concise artwork thoroughly complements its captivating narrative.

If you are a Rush fan, reading this book after Clockwork Angels makes you feel that all the stories told by the band, especially
David
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clockwork Lives is the second book in the Clockwork universe by Anderson and Peart. In it, the protagonist, Marinda Peake, sets out to collect truly epic life stories from people she meets. Throughout her great adventure, the majority of the pages in the book are the life stories of the people she meets.

As with Clockwork Angels Anderson seems to go out of his way to insert Rush lyrics into the story. People less familiar with their music may not even notice this, though (as a big Rush fan) I
Meagan
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m rather torn on this book. I completely loved the book’s production. The binding, the paper, it’s beautifully presented and utterly gorgeous. And many of the stories were just spot on; I particularly enjoyed the bookseller’s story. The down side for me was the handful of swearing (though it certainly could have been much worse!) and the passing references to illicit romances. That, I could have done without; I personally don’t read books with that content, and didn’t feel like it added ...more
Robert Rowe
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My wife saw the cover at our library, and showed it to me. When I realized what it was, having read "Clockwork Angels", I signed it out, and proceeded to read it in just over a weekend.

It's not necessary to read "Clockwork Angels" first, but I recommend it. "Lives" expands on some of the characters that you only got a glimpse of in book 1, through a whole new story, taking place in the same world.

Parts were predictable, then surprising in a new way. The storytelling format was really well
Hannah
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Totally didn’t realize this was a “book two” and I think I could have benefited from reading clockwork angels but it stood well on its own. I liked the overall point of the book even if individual stories didn’t always speak to me. Plus it had a sweet ending which I love. :)

Read for popsugar challenge 2017 prompts:
A steampunk book
A book from a genre you don’t usually read
A book with two authors

Mikey
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really looking forward to this book as I loved the first book, Clockwork Angels. It certainly lived up to the expectations I had for it! Great, great book! Just like the first novel, I quickly became lost in the world the book creates. The people moved me, the tales moved me. I want to go to that place and that atmosphere! A Must read for sure, just make sure you read Clockwork Angels too. Awesome job Kevin and Neil!
Kevin
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
For a Rush fan with references to all the music and specifically the last studio album, along with it being a continuation of the previous story, this was a fun pleasure. If you like simple steam punk stories give it a go. I don't often buy hardcover books, but this is a beautiful package to have on the shelf.
Rob Boots
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great follow up to Clockwork Angels. This book comprised of a number of short stories of different folks that lived throughout the continents that Clockwork Angels takes place. I really enjoyed the framework story in which our protagonist finds herself in a quest to collect these stories. A very enjoyable read!
Jeff Bee
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having read Clockwork Angels, I gave this one a go. I was glad I did. It was different, and strange. A fun departure from the first and also expanding on the universe that Kevin created in the first novel. Again, as with the first, Niel Peirt colaborated with him and Rush references are woven in throughout. Very enjoyable read.
Chris
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this book. What a wonderful way to tell many stories and yet make them all one story. I think I liked this better than the first book. I don't think you need to have read the first book to enjoy this one. I honestly don't remember a lot of the specifics from the first book. Also the illustrations in this book are gorgeous.
Bo Loftis
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kevin j anderson is on another level. I enjoyed this just as much as clockwork angels. Even though it was like a bunch of short stories bundled together, it didnt feel that way. I think Albion is my new favorite universe (after Arrakis, of course). I hope we get to see a conclusion to the ongoing feud bw the watchmaker and the anarchist one day.
Marc Diepstraten
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book. I am lucky to have the hard back with illustrations, a beautiful book. More different tales from the Clockwork world, indigeniously put together. Love Anderson and Peart seperately and together, and to me they pulled it off. Immensely enjoyable, highly recommended.
Kayla
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the way the stories intermingled. Some lives are epic.
C.a. Anderson
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you’re a Rush fan or a fan of steampunk you will like this book. The book takes the stories from the album Clockwork Angels and expands the stories into more characters and more adventures.
Nathan Setzer
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a beautiful journey through a world that is filled with adventure and excitement. Kevin J. Anderson at his best in this book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • The Woman in the Wall
  • Love Is a Tutu
  • December (Calendar Girl, #12)
  • November (Calendar Girl #11)
  • October (Calendar Girl, #10)
  • Bob: And 6 More Christmas Stories
  • August (Calendar Girl, #8)
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • Rafferty's Rules (Aussies, #3)
  • Single Daddy Scot (Hot Scots, #4)
  • Hot Scot Christmas (Hot Scots, #5)
  • Dark Nights (Dark #6.5, #9.5)
  • Sew You Want to be a Hero (Threadbare #2)
  • The Right to Arm Bears (Threadbare #3)
  • Seven Deadly Sins: Settling the Argument Between Born Bad and Damaged Good
  • Poppet
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil ...more

Clockwork Angels (2 books)
  • Clockwork Angels (Clockwork Angels, #1)
“The small room was furnished with little more than odd smells and disappointment.” 2 likes