Start by marking “The Power to Get Things Done: (Whether You Feel Like It or Not)” as Want to Read:
The Power to Get Things Done: (Whether You Feel Like It or Not)

The Power to Get Things Done: (Whether You Feel Like It or Not)

A psychologist and work coach collaborate on a "cheat sheet" of practical ways to turn good intentions into action.

Whether you run your own business or work for someone else, you've probably got a lot on your plate. Unfortunately, much of it may not be all that appetizing. Along with the portion of your work that you truly feel like doing comes a generous helping of things
Published December 31st 2015 by Portfolio Penguin (first published December 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Power to Get Things Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power to Get Things Done

Amber
This book reads like an infomercial, which put me off. However, I did take away two small pieces of advice that could be helpful: be specific and don't give yourself wiggle room.
Kimberly Laurel (The Trusty Bookmark)
Walk, don't wobble.

While this book’s repetitiveness is something to be aware of, despite its style, I found The Power to Get Things Done incredibly useful and will definitely be rereading it -- 4 stars rounded up to 4.5 for its content value.  I took five pages of notes while listening to the audiobook and then bought a physical copy off BookOutlet.

This was a fascinating lesson on the psychological reasons why we don’t follow through; the importance of assessing your intentions and “trying sma
Tori
Mar 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Horrible. This entire book could have been condensed into one page about how intending to do something isn't enough to make you do it. It keeps repeating the same thing over and over again with few or no practical steps other than "be specific in your goal setting". I got half way through and called it quits.
Em
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit repetitive and shares a few too many anecdotes, but the strategies seem solid if you need a push to break your chronic procrastination or task avoidance (Now to see how well they work in practice). Could probably get the point across with half the length.
Adrienne
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too much book for too little info.
Helen Kurtz
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent advice, although it could've been summed up on one page.
Lisa Welch
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I picked up a few useful tidbits in this book, but overall it was not extremely helpful and it was very repetitive. I think there are better books out there to motivate you.
Yann
Mar 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Remember when you had to make up a couple of hundred words so that your school essay passed the minimum word count? Well this entire book is those couple of hundred words.

The majority of it is made up of useless anecdotes that aren't relatable, and then the one or two good points would have been better presented in the style of Paul Arden.

Entire book summed up:
Blah
More blah
SMART Goals
Make it so that you have literally no other choice but to do the thing you hate
And then make it so that once y
Mckinley
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Why it's hard and why it's so important.
Motivation is not enough - logic trips us up. Much of what our brains tell us to do doesn't require or make us want to do that thing. So try to work with intentions (serious commitments you make to yourself) and put power towards doing them.
How: pick only a few things and not everything, be specific, focus on intention, make it harder to do the opposite of what you want to do - use levers; outwit temptation (get rid of, minimize, do right thing then permi
Linda Key
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
The Power to Get Things Done did not give me the power to finish this book. If you enjoy reading a book that has page after page of the same thing, then you may like this. There are so many irrelevant anecdotes. Like I need to know someone else who doesn't finish things that they should be doing. Ugh.
Adeva
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
This book is very impactful. But of course to put what the author teaches into practice then this is a book to read or listen to and take mental and paper notes several times until you have it down. But even practicing a few of the things that I remember will help me to improve in my follow through.
Camilla
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Repetitive, lengthy and patronizing at times. It felt like the authors attended one too many enthusiastic conferences and thought , 'Hey, let's waste a ton of pages with this stuff, but like, waste our time getting to the point".

This book honestly could have been condensed to an essay of a few pages at most.
Beth Craig
Provided tangible ways to tackle my to do list and help keep me on track and motivated!
Kosta
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book was repetitive and didn’t have a lot to offer. I forced myself to finish it.
Susie Gomez
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally made me think about my own inhibitors and how it relates to students in my classroom! Enjoyed the foundational part and the practical ideas behind it.
Cezary Zminkowski
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Well, it was good book for me at the time. It blends together GTD concept with Habits research providing interesting concept of enforcing on you behaviors, rigor and discipline.
Samantha
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
had some good info but got tired of reading all about others.. seemed to repeat the same stuff over and over again..

The last 3 chapters were the most helpful
Brad Hayes
Nothing revolutionary here, but the guidance is solid and well presented.
Pam
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first half just kind of repeats itself over and over and doesn't contain any useful information, just background. When you get to the second half (even if you decide not to finish the first half) it also still kind of repeats itself. But it does have some little tidbits of how to be organized, reminders, etc to get things done (it's kind of like goal planning at work so if you've done a lot of that, then there is nothing new in this book). I did like the concept of setting up a bad situation ...more
Colby Williams
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Seems like a lot of people had low reviews on this book, but I found it to be useful...and I've read a LOT of productivity books and articles.

Most of the book consists of summaries of coaching clients of his (I think) that have improved their productivity and their stories on how they reacted to "goop" as he calls those shitty tasks that you just CAN'T get yourself to do, even if it is very high value (things such as making sales calls)

Most of the examples struck a big chord with me because I pe
Megan
May 18, 2016 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has valuable insights, but they could be spelled out in less than a third of the arboreal real estate they currently occupy.
Basically, you can't depend on motivation because it comes and goes - mostly goes. If you wait for motivation to appear before doing stuff, you're going to have a bad time, and probably never accomplish anything of note.
It's all about forcing yourself to do things, but without relying unduly on willpower - instead, employing trickery to spur you on. Your motivat
William Schram
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, business
This book provides methods for turning your intentions into solid actions. Mainly all you have to do is have a concrete plan in place to accomplish things. It gives other strategies as well and it is possible to extrapolate these methods to other situations.

I enjoyed the book, but it is more for business people. I was expecting something totally devoted to procrastination, but most of this was devoted to the problem of follow-through.

Ah well, it is a pretty good book all the same, even though it
Kat
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just finished the audio book this afternoon. On first go through it appears to have some fairly reasonable suggestions and a few that seem a little hokey for my tastes. I definitely took away some ideas that i will implement, and i will be going through it again, more thoroughly, as I work to become a master of follow through.
Abhijeet Lele
May 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Poor narratives. Book merely relies on some very good quotes given by antecedents, but lacks cohesion among chapters. Even the highly pushed propaganda of "following up" with tasks does not gives the power to get things done "happily". Not worth investing your precious hours. There are better materials and theories available on dealing with procrastination.
Neid Buell
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Effective methods to hack your brain.
Wilde Sky
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This simple self-help book aims to show people have to get things done.

There were a few useful points (basically just get on with it) in this book, but there was too much fluff.

Real rating 2.5
Gianna
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016summer
Some useful tidbits. Nothing earth shattering.
Rachael  Telford
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
didn't speak to me- Gretchen Rubin's Better than Before said much of the same in a way that worked for me. not my thing
Ibrahim Mahameed
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
An amazing book with a lot of details, yet not enough...
Pawan Tejwani
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This entire book could be just a simple 2-3 page write up. Over exaggerated and sometimes feels like skipping a lot of it. Not recommending it!

• Power of an Hour: Business and Life Mastery in One Hour a Week
  • Easy Growing: Organic Herbs and Edible Flowers from Small Spaces
  • Miss Manners Minds Your Business
  • Black Swan (Sam Acquillo Hamptons Mystery #5)
  • Becoming an Academic Writer: 50 Exercises for Paced, Productive, and Powerful Writing
  • Woman Up!: Overcome the 7 Deadly Sins That Sabotage Your Success
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program
  • One, Two, Three: Absolutely Elementary Mathematics
  • Zilch: The Power of Zero in Business
  • Landslide: The Unmaking of the President, 1984-1988
  • How College Works
  • The Introvert's Guide to Success in Business and Leadership
  • Don't Bring It to Work: Breaking the Family Patterns That Limit Success
  • 1001 Things Every College Student Needs to Know: (Like Buying Your Books Before Exams Start)
  • Its Okay to Manage Your Boss: The Step-By-Step Program for Making the Best of Your Most Important Relationship at Work
  • The Future: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know