Start by marking “The Hanging Girl (Department Q, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Hanging Girl (Department Q, #6)

The Hanging Girl

(Afdeling Q #6)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  11,632 ratings  ·  1,051 reviews
In the middle of his usual hard-won morning nap in the basement of police headquarters, Carl Mørck, head of Department Q, receives a call from a colleague working on the Danish island of Bornholm. Carl is dismissive when he realizes that a new case is being foisted on him, but a few hours later, he receives some shocking news that leaves his headstrong assistant Rose more ...more
Published September 8th 2015 by Dutton (first published September 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Hanging Girl, please sign up.
zendegy I will answer my own question, with bright red cheeks and acceptance of the impact of aging...the storyline seemed familiar because I read the book 2…moreI will answer my own question, with bright red cheeks and acceptance of the impact of aging...the storyline seemed familiar because I read the book 2 years ago and forgot that I had. I even forgot to check my list of books I've read on Goodreads to be sure that I wasn't repeating myself.
Is this one of the signs of Alzheimer's?!?!(less)
Sarah No. The order is The Keeper of Lost Causes, The Absent One, A Conspiracy of Faith, The Purity of Vengeance, The Marco Effect, and The Hanging Girl.

I…more

I listened to Purity of Vengeance on audio so it definitely has been translated. I assumed the things referred to that haven't happened in a book are to show us that the cases we're reading aren't their only ones. Ronnie was definitely in an earlier book, though. I think the first.(less)

·  11,632 ratings  ·  1,051 reviews

Start your review of The Hanging Girl (Department Q, #6)
Jayson
(B+) 76% | Good
Notes: After a promising start the bottom falls out and it chases its tail like a single-minded dog. Also, hippies are not scary.
Jan Schindler
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Series just gets better. I thought I had it figured out but I was very wrong. Lots of twists in this. Really good reading. I like how Adle-Olsen uses humor with his characters and how he gives a glimpse of Danish life thru his writings.
If you hadn't read the others in the series, I'd say start at the beginning with The Keeper of Lost Causes. It helps with some of the support characters and also, why Carl is the way he is. Highly recommend.
Barbara
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it

In this 6th book in the 'Department Q' series, Detective Carl Mørck investigates a murder that occurred 17 years ago.

*****

Detective Carl Mørck heads Department Q of the Copenhagen Police Department. Department Q, a sort of orphan division that investigates cold cases, is confined to a cramped basement and staffed with police oddballs, including Carl's invaluable assistants Assad and Rose.

Carl, who was gravely injured in an incident that killed one colleague and paralyzed another, prefers to
Krystal
'Are you actually aware why there are camels in the desert and no giraffes?' asked Assad.
... 'The answer is simple. If there were giraffes in the desert they'd die of sorrow.'
'Aha! And why's that?'
'Because they're so tall, they'd know that there was just endless sand as far as the eye could see. Fortunately for the camel, it doesn't know this, so it trudges on assuming that an oasis is just around the corner.'
Carl nodded. 'I understand. You feel like a giraffe in the desert, right?'
'Yes, a bit.
A Girl Has No Name
After reading the five first books of the series during the last months, I was very excited to finally read the next installment and I really enjoyed this book. The plot might not have been that gripping than other parts of this series, but however I liked the context/setting a lot. Like usual, Jussi Adler-Olsen managed to create great characters. After thinking that I already knew, who the murderer war, the ending came as quite a surprise to me. The twists were well done and felt real. Such a ...more
Andy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nordic-noir
So ignoring one friend..... who gave this a one!! For shame!! ;)

Starting in the present we have the trio invited to help on a case which they (Carl) ignores only for a sequence of events thereafter to bring them front & centre on the case..... and obliged to solve it.

As usual the story works along the lines of converging timelines, one in the present, the other from the past. Its a method ive come to enjoy with the trio & as always there quirks & interactions make for a mostly
Erin
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's been awhile since a man kept me up all night ...reading. Geez, what were YOU thinking I was talking about? This was the first Department Q book that I've read, but it definitely won't be the last. I really liked police officers Carl and Assad,the mystery just kept getting darker and there were just enough twists to keep me wanting more. Excellent read!
Skip
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adler-Olsen's sixth book featuring Carl Morck's Department Q cold case team. A pleading call from a country patrolman is ignored by Carl so he commits suicide at his retirement ceremony to draw attention to the case of Alberte Goldschmid, who was found dead hanging in a tree by the patrolman, which haunted him. Rose shames Carl into taking the case, and Assad provides his usual enthusiastic support. Meanwhile, there is a cult leader using his charm to seduce women, while his #2 tries to win his ...more
Gisela Hafezparast
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Definately a bit disappointed with the latest in the so far excellent series. I didn't really engageed in the crime very much at all and feel that his was a bit haphazardly put together. Unlike in the previous books the characters were not as well drawn and therefore I didn't care that much about most of them. Obviously the story around Carl, Assad and Rose and their relationship is still engaging and they are brilliant characters, but I think it is about time we find out what Assad's background ...more
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This is the 6th installment in what is most likely my favorite crime series. Adler-Olsen creates a compelling story, along with characters that I absolutely love. Assad is a literary masterpiece :)

A police officer was the first to the scene of what appears to be a hit and run back in 1997. The case continues to haunt him for the next 17 years, right up until he retires. He contacts Carl and Department Q the day before he retires but Carl is in the middle of a nap and tells the guy to contact
Jennie Menke
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jussi, Jussi, Jussi...

I still love you. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt (4 stars despite shortcomings). But you need to step up your game. While the characters are still among my favorites, their development seems to have stalled. What's your plan, Jussi? 10 books? More? The problem is, I think (I hope) your readers are not the type to be happy with tiny little bones thrown to keep them reading an unending series.

While I love your writing and your characters, I need more meat. Not tiny
Janellyn51
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yet another wild ride with the crew. For the most part I'm a let your freak flag fly kind of girl, but these people bugged me, sheep. Anyway, Carl is still a mess, Assad is more mysterious.!
Ivi
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
not so bad
Donna
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: criminal-mystery
This is the sixth book in the Department Q series featuring Carl Mørck, a deputy detective superintendent in Denmark, who has been working on cold cases from his office in the basement of police headquarters for the past seven years. It wasn't always this way. Seven years earlier, Carl had been upstairs, investigating active cases with two partners who were also his friends. Then one day, it all fell apart on a case that left one partner dead, one partner paralyzed, and Carl emotionally scarred. ...more
Tanja Berg
This has been the most highly anticipated crime novel of the past year for me. By this time last year I had finished all the other books in the series and had started the count down. In January I saw that it had been released in Danish and almost ordered it. In the end I decided to wait. When it finally did come, it arrived at the same time as my new puppy so didn't have a chance to devour it the way I usually would.

In this book Carl Mørck gets a call from a police officer on the island of
Jaksen
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yet another entry in the 'Department Q' series by Mr. Adler-Olson, featuring Carl Morck and staff: Assad, Rose and now Gordon.

In this one Carl is dragged into an investigation begun years earlier by a police officer who's killed himself. It's one big convoluted, intricate puzzle for Carl et. al., which leads in all sorts of directions, including, but not least, to that of a sun-worshipping cult in Sweden.

I love this series, love this book which I GOT ALL WRONG. (Was a girl in a hit and run -
Faouzia
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes the road to the truth is very tortuous!!

It all starts when Carl Mork received a call from a collegue, Officer Habersaat, working in Bornholm a Danish island, about an old case. When he refuses his help to this collegue, Carl Mork starts a chain of events that takes him deep into the mysteries of a strange culte, killers that stops at nothing to preserve what they worked for, a devastating secret and death.
17 years ago, a girl went missing in Bornholm and was found the next day hanging
Suzy
3 1/2 stars

I really like this series! The characters, the affection they have developed for each other, the humor, the dynamics between Dept Q's cold case department and the rest of police headquarters, the solving of the cold cases and the gradual understanding the reader gets about each main character's backstory as the series progresses.

At the same time there are things that bug me about this series! I just reread my reviews for books 1-5 and noticed the themes: too long! too grim!
Glen
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, nordic-crime
A Danish policeman calls Department Q asking for help. When he is refused, the policeman commits suicide at his retirement party.

This lights a fire under Department Q, and they finally start to DO THEIR JOB.

They find a politically correct web of evil.

Pretty typical for this sort of thing.
Steven Z.
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
In his sixth installment of the adventures of Department Q, Jussi Adler-Olsen presents his main protagonist in the series, the incorrigible detective, Carl Morck with a very unusual case. The Hanging Girl centers around the obsession of Sergeant Christian Haberstaat, a detective on the island of Borholm in Denmark. It seems that almost two decades ago, Haberstaat found the body of a young lady, hanging from a tree branch, in what appeared to be a hit and run accident. Haberstaat could not accept ...more
Alondra Miller
4.5 Stars (Review to Follow)

Wordiness + 0.5 star
Judy
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book in the Department Q series, but this was my least favorite of the six books so far. Not sure why - the story was good, but not great. It was missing a lot of the funny, quirky characteristics of the other books and it seemed too long. Still, I did like it and will certainly move on to number seven. They can't all be great, right?
Charlene Intriago
An audio book - not my favorite way to "read" a book - but I had started reading this library book, took too long, had to return it, and then audio was the quickest way for me to get it again. That being said, the book was a 3 star, but - with that twist at the end - I could round up to 3.5 stars - if we had only that half star!!

A young girl is a victim of a hit and run - at least that's what the local police think - all except one investigator who just knows there's something more to the case.
Carolyn
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. After a strong start to the Department Q cold case series, I found this book only marginally better than the proceeding one.

What I enjoyed most about the series was the often humorous interaction of the three main characters in Department Q. A brief history of the characters for those not familiar with the previous books:
Carl began as an angry, depressed and lazy policeman, isolated to the newly formed Department Q in the headquarter's basement. He was directed to examine a pile of
Jacob Overmark
Read in Danish

A cry-out from a colleague about to retire, an untimely suicide and a house full of recordings, notes and newspaper clippings.
Carl Moerck and his sidekicks are setting out to resolve a new cold case.
17 years ago a young girl was brutally killed by a hit and run cardriver, or so it seems.

While investigating the case it is obvious there must be someone out there handling the truth a bit sparse.

An after all so trivial crime should not have left such an impact on even a small town,
bookczuk
This is a series I love. Not only are the cases interesting and full of their own quirks and twists, but so are the central characters. The cases assigned to Department Q are all cold cases, lying unsolved for years. The main team of characters are all broken in one way or another, with foibles and fears, secrets and sins, all wrapped up in many, many layers that Adler-Olsen carefully dissects away. And while some of the cases have the dark noir aspect of other Scandinavian writers, some are ...more
Line
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've loved all five earlier books in this series, but this one seemed sloppy. The solution was far too easy to figure out very early on. The usual banter between Carl, Assad and Rose seemed contrived.

I hope the next book will improve.
Liz Barnsley
Pretty good thriller/crime story - perhaps suffering a bit as I havent read the others in this series and also possibly as I've had some really top notch reads in this area lately so this is a little flat in comparison. Entertaining enough though, enjoyed it. Full review to follow.
Donna
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is the 6th book in the Department Q series by Jussi Adler-Olsen. The previous 5 books have been a solid 4 stars for me. Sometimes they are a little dark, but they are packed with many great twists and wonderful characters that are engaging.

This one, however, wasn't quite 3 stars, but I rounded up. This one was slow going.....not at all like the pace set in the previous books. The mystery started off strong, then stalled, then picked up towards the end (not my favorite journey). But I love
Jo
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoy mysteries when the author provides complex, deep characters. Jussi Adler-Olsen's Department Q series are those kinds of mysteries.

Carl Morck works in the dingy basement of the Copenhagen Police Department to solve extremely cold cases. He comes off as unhappy and uncivil. But then this big grump shows he can be compassionate as a caretaker to his former police partner Hardy, who is paralyzed from a shooting. Carl has two eccentric assistants to help dig into the cold cases, including
Thriller fans: Extra maandboek - de Grenzeloze 5 23 Jun 20, 2019 11:10AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Den granselose by Jussi Adler-Olsen 1 23 Jan 09, 2015 02:43AM

• Knife (Harry Hole, #12)
  • Selfies - la Septième Enquete du Département V
  • En perfekt storm (Alex Storm, #1)
  • Lazarus (Joona Linna, #7)
  • The Girl Who Lived Twice (Millennium, #6)
  • The Sandman (Joona Linna, #4)
  • Kaninjägaren (Joona Linna, #6)
  • Gutten som elsket rådyr (Holger Munch & Mia Kruger #3)
  • Fyrvaktaren (Patrik Hedström, #7)
  • Minu Mehhiko. Rikkad tšillit ei söö (Minu..., #127)
  • The Hypnotist (Joona Linna, #1)
  • De hængte hunde (Niels Oxen, #1)
  • Eldvittnet (Joona Linna, #3)
  • The Thirst (Harry Hole, #11)
  • Stalker (Joona Linna, #5)
  • The Nightmare (Joona Linna, #2)
  • De underkända (Sebastian Bergman, #5)
  • Motiv X (Fabian Risk, #4)
Jussi Adler-Olsen is a Danish author who began to write novels in the 1990s after a comprehensive career as publisher, editor, film composer for the Valhalla cartoon and as a bookseller.

He made his debut with the thriller “Alfabethuset” (1997), which reached bestseller status both in Denmark and internationally just like his subsequent novels “And She Thanked the Gods” (prev. “The Company Basher”)

Afdeling Q (8 books)
  • The Keeper of Lost Causes (Department Q, #1)
  • The Absent One (Department Q, #2)
  • Flaskepost fra P (Afdeling Q, #3)
  • Journal 64 (Afdeling Q, #4)
  • Marco Effekten (Afdeling Q, #5)
  • The Scarred Woman (Department Q, #7)
  • Offer 2117 (Afdeling Q, #8)
“How was it in any way possible to defend himself against the words of a dead man?” 0 likes
“Are you actually aware why there are camels in the desert and no giraffes?' asked Assad.
'Aha! And why's that?'
Carl nodded. 'I understand. You feel like a giraffe in the desert, right?'
'Yes, a bit. Just right now.”
0 likes