Start by marking “Dead with the Wind (Southern Ladies Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead with the Wind (Southern Ladies Mystery, #2)

Dead with the Wind

(Southern Ladies Mystery #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,013 ratings  ·  133 reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of Bless Her Dead Little Heart and the Cats in the Stacks mysteries brings back the Ducote sisters, two spry Southern sleuths.

An’gel and Dickce Ducote tend to stay put in Athena, Mississippi, but a wedding is a good reason to say a temporary farewell to Charlie Harris’s cat Diesel and go visit relatives. But while their stay in Louisia
Published September 29th 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Dead with the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead with the Wind

really liked it 4.00  ·

James
3 out of 5 stars to Dead with the Wind, the 2nd book in the "Southern Ladies" cozy mystery series, written in 2015 by Miranda James. I enjoyed reading about the two sisters and their rather rude family, feeling almost glad to see the character who died meet her maker this time.

Why This Book
I'd started reading another series by this author, also known as Dean James, and gave the first book in this series a chance earlier in the year. I enjoy the cozy mystery and try to incorporate one in the
Ruth Ellen
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read. The ladies help figure out why all mayhem has broken out and who caused it.
Mark Baker
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2015
Elderly sisters An’gel and Dickce Ducote travel to Louisiana for their cousin’s granddaughter’s wedding. But what promises to be a fun time catching up with family turns into tragedy when the tension between the various members of the cousin’s family builds to the breaking point. Then a storm comes in and leaves someone dead. But An’gel and Dickce don’t think the death was because of the storm. Can they figure out what is happening?

This book is a wonderful read. The tension is strong from start
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Author Miranda James has kicked it up a notch with the long anticipated second book in the Southern Ladies Mystery series and it was worth every minute of the wait. While the first book, BLESS HER DEAD LITTLE HEART was fantastic, DEAD WITH THE WIND is spectacular!

I was so lost in this amazingly well written story I was shocked to be over a hundred pages into it when I realized there hadn’t been a death. Enjoying An’gel and Dickce Ducote and their witty dialog, and sharing in their exasperation
Linda
Wow! This is a whirlwind of a story! An'gel and Dickce Ducote travel to Louisiana to visit relatives and attend a wedding. Joining the sisters is their ward, Benjy, and cute pets...a Labradoodle and Abyssinian cat. They find a mansion filled with clashing, dysfunctional relatives about to drive each other crazy--or to murder. There is constant drama until someone finally reaches the breaking point. The spirited and spritely Southern sisters have had more than enough rudeness and immaturity and p ...more
Jessica Robbins
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Lesa
Some amateur sleuths seem out-of-place and awkward when they leave their home environments. Not so with Miranda James' octogenarian Ducote sisters, An'gel and Dickce. The two Southern grandes dames are perfectly at home on a plantation in Louisiana. And, they're perfectly capable of solving a complex case in Dead with the Wind.

An'gel and Dickce travel to Willowbank with their ward and their two pets, a Labradoodle and an Abyssinian cat. The plantation is the ancestral home of their cousin, Mirei
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
The octogenarian sisters, Misses An'gel and Dickce Ducote have left their home in Athena MS to travel to St. Ignaitusvilla, LA to visit their cousin and to attend Mirelle's granddaughter's wedding. Of course their Abyssinian cat, Endora and Peanut, the labradoodle, have come to visit too. Benjy, the Ducote's ward is also ensconced in a cabin of his own on Willowbanks property.

Jacqueline greets her Godmother and Tante Dickce with warm charm and grace, but Mirelle Champlain looks anxious and frail
Tari
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had read the first book in this series last year and had been wanting to continue the series, because I'd enjoyed my first trip to Athena MS so much. This book took place mostly in Louisiana with the sisters An'gel and Dickce traveling with Benjy and the pets to a wedding of An'gel's cousin's daughter. When the bride died under suspicious circumstances, An'gel and her sister started investigating. There was an a really cool and unexpected twist toward the end which led to an even better and mo ...more
Cathy Daniel
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another hard to put down, excellent book! The little girl in this story had an overly precious lisp which was a bit much and I wish we didn't hear every detail of the pets licking themselves, eating and talking but still a great story :)
Fred
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dead With The Wind is the second book in the A Southern Ladies Mystery series.

Another enjoyable read from Miranda James.

An'gel and Dickce Ducote and Benjy, their ward, are off to visit with their cousin, Mirelle in Louisiana. They haven't seen Mirelle, or her daughter, Jacqueline, for a few years and also to attend the wedding of Sondra, Mirelle's granddaughter.

Quickly they begin to have their regrets, as Sondra is very spoiled and rude to her grandmother and mother. The housekeeper, Estelle is
Amy
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An'gel and Dickce are in Louisiana along with their ward Benjy and dog and cat for the wedding of their cousins granddaughter.
When they walk into the house emotions are high and the brides behavior is effecting the whole family.
After a storm the bride is found dead. Was it murder? Did the winds sweep her off the porch during the storm?!
The sisters believe she was murdered, but can they find facts to prove it!
A great book with twists and turns, suspense and humor.
The ending really surprised me!
C

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

Synopsis:

Margie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick cozy book. The two southern ladies try to solve the latest murder case in their charming southern way. Add their two pets and others makes this an enjoyable story.
Sharon Chance
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Who couldn't resist a great Southern-themed mystery that features two sassy sisters, a labradoddle dog and a Abyssinian cat! Well, I couldn't! Especially one from the great storyteller Miranda (Dean) James!

"Dead With The Wind" (a play on words for "Gone With The Wind!) is the second book in James' "Southern Ladies Mysteries" and it is absolutely wonderful! Sisters An'gel and Dickce are attending the wedding of their goddaughter's daughter and all sorts of mayhem erupts right before the big day!
Liz
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
There is just something about octogenarians An'gel and Dickcee Ducote that make you want to keep reading about their exploits. This time they travel to Louisiana to attend a wedding.

To say Sondra is a Bridzilla, doesn't even begin to cover her nasty temper tantrum personality and the tension around the house. How her family has managed to live with such a child and now woman is beyond understanding. Her scheme to get married is primarily to get her hands on her inheritance and she doesn't care w
Doris
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the second instalment in Miranda James' Southern Ladies Mystery series, where Peanut - the Labradoodle - and Endora - the Abyssinian - become a little more involved with the amateur sleuths, and Benjy - the ward - is now also firmly part of the extended Ducote family.
This adventure, though, does not take place in Athena this time round - where both the Southern Ladies as well as the Cat in the Stacks mysteries usually take place, nonetheless, the south of the United States appears to hav
Ellen
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dead with the Wind by Miranda James.

An'gel and Dickce Ducote are on the way to their cousin Mirielle's home in St. Ignatiusville for the wedding of her grand-daughter, Sondra. Benjy, their ward, is happily (for Peanut and Endora) going with them. Their arrival at Riverhill, the home of Mirielle, was to be much more than they had ever expected.
Since Mirielle had been running a bed & breakfast at her home the Ducote sisters were pleasantly surprised at the lovely cottage that was made ready f
Georgette
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can I say I have been a bit selfish and lazy about entering a review here or there..But Dead with the Wind by Miranda James has kicked me back in gear!I absolutely fell in love with the DuCote sisters when they were first introduced in Bless Her Dead Little Heart and the separation from the Cats in the Stacks has been deemed a huge success IMHO! I simply adored this book so much I stretched out the last few pages knowing who dunnit.An'gel and Dickce along with their ward, Bengy and their pe ...more
Kirsti
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although I probably didn't enjoy this one as much as the first, I still liked the story and the Ducote sisters are still as awesome as ever. One of the reasons I disliked it was probably the setting; taking them away from their own home and surroundings, as well as the usual police force, made this story feel off from the start. Plus a lot of this book is just making lunches and looking after Tippy with very little sleuthing until the random big reveal (that I'd already guessed at) so yeah.

But t
Doward Wilson
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Southern style entertainment delightfully delivered in a complex and twisted murder plot. Book#2 in this new series delivers everything you could want in a story. In their 80's,southern sisters, An'gel and Dickce Ducote, from Athena, Mississippi are attending a family wedding in Louisiana. The out-of-control bride gives her grandmother a heart attack and then has a fatal accident of her own. The accident turns out to be murder and the sisters are off and running to solve the crime. The sisters a ...more
FangirlNation
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
In Miranda James's Dead with the Wind, the second in the Southern Ladies Mystery series, octogenarians An'gel and Dickce Ducote go to visit their cousin Mireille for Sondra, Mireille's granddaughter's wedding. They bring along with them their ward, Benjy; their labradoodle, Peanut; and their Abyssinian cat, Endora. Soon the ladies are aghast to discover the very disrespectful way the granddaughter, Sondra, treats Mireille and Jacqueline, her mother and Miss An'gel's goddaughter.The two ladies ha ...more
Patricia Tucker
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! The Ducote sisters are southern charm personified. In Dead with the Wind, they travel to Louisiana, along with their ward, Benjy, and pets (Peanut and Endora), for a family wedding.

When they arrive, at cousin Mireille's home, the spoiled bride-to-be (Sondra) is ranting at her grandmother. The way An'gel handles the tantrum gave me a chuckle, in the very first chapter. The husband-to-be, Lance, is just as self-absorbed as the bride-to-be (but with less brains).

The sisters soon
Snap
There is no way I could not fall in love with the Ducote sisters, An'gel and Dickce. They remind me of my first and second grade teachers (a very very very long time ago), the Grace sisters. Neither had been married. One was tall and thin with red hair and the other was short and stocky with dark hair. We counted ourselves lucky if we got Miss Grace (one and/or two) to be our teacher. The Ducote sisters and their ward, Benjy (along with Peanut the labradoodle and Endora, the Abyssinian cat) are ...more
Kelly
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this book, we find An'gel and Dickce in Louisiana with their ward Benjy, Endora the cat, and Peanut, the dog. An'gel and Dickce have gone to visit their cousin and see her granddaugher get married. But, all is not as it seems and there are problems with the bride and the wedding. There is a bad storm and the bride is found dead. But, was it a murder, or the result of a severe storm that came through the area, and curiously paralleling a story about a bride and a storm from the Civil War era. ...more
Dharia Scarab
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Suzanne
As always I enjoyed reading about the Ducote sisters.
This time they are in Louisiana attending a family wedding when the night before the wedding the obnoxious bride dies. And to top it off An'gel's cousin and grandmother of the bride has died the day before of a heart attack brought on by the bride cutting up the antique gown she was to wear.
Then the housekeeper is poisoned right in front of An'gel and the ladies begin to wonder who is next.
With the stepfather having money problems and the fi
Betty
Wind Swift

I have long been a fan of Miranda James books and found the second book of the Southern Ladies book to be as good as the his other work. The Ducote Ladies along with their ward and animal friends are in Louisiana for a relative's wedding. There they find emotions running high that concern nothing with wedding. A summer storm occurs and the winds are high a sweeps the bride off the porch killing her. This book has enough turns and twists that it is hard to turn the pages fast enough. Th
April Schilling
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Started reading this book and couldn't put it down. I loved reading more about the Ducote sisters and their ward, Benjy. This book has the sisters, Benjy and their pets off to Louisiana to visit family for a wedding. Such a cast of characters in this one! And I was surprised how the story worked out. I had an idea who the murderer was but, with three murders, turned out I was wrong. Great book in a great series!
Pat Beard
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
These are just good. I love the settings, having lived in the Deep South for a number of years, and the characters are as familiar as old friends, having met their doppelgängers when there. The mysteries are satisfying - I like it when I don't guess whodunnit until near the end. I don't ask for more from a cozy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Meow If It's Murder (Nick and Nora Mysteries, #1)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Telling Tails (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #4)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
  • A Midwinter's Tail (A Magical Cats Mystery, #6)
  • Catch as Cat Can (Sunny & Shadow Mystery #5)
  • War and Peach (Georgia Peach Mystery, #3)
  • Live and Let Growl (A Melanie Travis Mystery, #19)
  • Horse of a Different Killer (Call of the Wilde #3)
  • To Helvetica and Back (Dangerous Type Mystery, #1)
  • Taken In (A Southern Sewing Circle #9)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)
  • And Then There Were Nuns (League of Literary Ladies #4)
  • Prose and Cons (Magical Bookshop, #2)
  • One Fete in the Grave (A Liv And Di In Dixie Mystery #3)
  • The Big Chili (Undercover Dish Mystery #1)

Southern Ladies Mystery (4 books)
  • Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Ladies Mystery #1)
  • Digging Up the Dirt (Southern Ladies Mystery, #3)
  • Fixing to Die (Southern Ladies Mystery, #4)