Start by marking “The Right Kind of Crazy: A True Story of Teamwork, Leadership, and High-Stakes Innovation” as Want to Read:

From Adam Steltzner, who led the Entry, Descent, and Landing team in landing the Curiosity rover on the surface of Mars, comes a profound book about breakthrough innovation in the face of the impossible

The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is home to some of history’s most jaw-dropping feats of engineering. When NASA needed to land Curiosity—a 2,000-pound, $2.5 billion rove
Published January 12th 2016 by Portfolio (first published October 13th 2015)

terpkristin
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
I am clearly not the intended audience for this book. In it, the guy who lead the EDL (Entry, Descent, and Landing) team for Mars Science Laboratory talks about becoming an aerospace engineer, his early career at JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) and his eventual role as EDL lead for MSL. I think it's intended to be some sort of "inspirational" story about doing things that seem impossible and facing team challenges, but it didn't come off that way to me.

Maybe I'm jaded. I work in the space indus
Jake
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science
My first takeaway from "The Right Kind of Crazy" by Adam Steltzner is this: If you want to achieve a come-to-Jesus moment, you need to un-f***-up whatever is holding you back.

Such is the brash but ultimately likable sentiment of Dr. Steltzner’s book, co-written with William Patrick. When his team successfully landed NASA’s Curiosity rover on Mars in 2012, Steltzner oversaw arguably the most revered NASA landing since Apollo 11 reached the surface of the Moon. To understand this incredible engine
Rebecca
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
*I received a complimentary ARC through Goodreads First Reads*
I feel kinda a mixed bag for this book. First of all I love the unconventional life story of the author. But I did not feel as though I learned anything about excellence and leadership. If I were to be presented with an opportunity to hear the author speak, I would immediately sign up. His enthusiasm and humor is definitely the strengths but overall not what I expected.
lehaleha
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and inspiring story about life and work of a space engineer. He mentions a lot of things which sound unpleasant, complicated or deadly boring. But also there are a lot of things I'd wish to know or experience. This book is a hymn to engineers in some way :)
Marv
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, science
Here you will find just how sexy a martian rover can be.
Ali Sattari
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good narration of team work in a highly, if not the most, innovative environment.
Allen Wang
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fucking love Adam!

This is the story of his life and career, starting from his belated education (he started community college at 21), to the beginning of his career at JPL doing structural analysis (a relatively monotonous engineering job) to leading the entry, descent, landing team for the Curiosity rover.

In my opinion, Adam offers a deeply insightful commentary from the context of building a Mars rover landing system relevant to any undertaking that pushes beyond the bounds of the ordinary t
Tung
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Like many, I was enthralled by the Curiosity rover landing in 2012. Steltzner was one of the leaders of the team that made the rover landing possible. In this book, he shares his career at the JPL, and details everything that went into safely landing a car-sized vehicle 34 million miles away. For me, this was two kinds of books. The first kind of book was a nonfiction account. Steltzner reduced complex scientific problems into something more easily digestible. He detailed the many problems they ...more
Yueyan
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this book is more about High-Stakes Innovation and the author's personal career-story than Teamwork and Leadership. After reading half of the book, I decided the content was not what I was expecting from the title. The unique engineering situation at JPL is interesting. However, I am not so much into rocket science and engineering, so a lot of times I got a little bit lost when there was too much technical details. But then, if those technical aspects were talked about in a too sentiment ...more
Russell
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book's entertaining, and deals with subject matter (unmanned planetary explorers) that interests me a good bit. So why just 3 stars vs. 4 or even 5? I just found the style off-putting, reading more like one of those awful "business leadership" books you always see in airport bookstores than a story crafted by an engineer trying to communicate the joy they find in their work. Steltzner led the invention and development of the "sky crane" descent/landing technology for the Mars Pathfinder, a ...more
Steve Peifer
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's ironic that this book makes the best case for a liberal arts education because it is about what an engineer does. It is about the Curiosity rover on Mars, but it is really about what an engineer does and how they solve problems. If it sounds dry, what until you get to the chapter about how they solved the parachute issue. It's absolutely riveting.

How to frame the question, how to encourage a collaborative environment and how to work well with others are way beyond the science and math param
Alexander Belotserkovskiy
As already noted by reviewers, it is not clear what this book is about.
You will not learn nothing new about teamwork, leadership or innovation.
You will not see the consistent story.
Some of the episodes are unnecessarily stretched, some are included for unknown reason (other reviewers noted stories about his private life which could be interesting if the value would be more clear), some are short and repeat itself.

And i did not see the most important one - i did not see anything crazy.

What i l
Sherie Beth
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astro-space
A page-turner to the end! There were some conflicting opinions on this book and I think it comes from going into it with the wrong impression. If you're looking for a book just about leadership or a book just about the engineering challenges of the Mars missions, this may not be the right one for you. Instead, it's a fascinating story that blends both things. There author's passion and enthusiasm for the work he does and the people he does it with is evident throughout. A highly recommended read ...more
Geoff
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author details his work at JPL, and his work on the Mars lander along with other projects. It's a interesting take on how he used the team management concepts he highlights during the development several projects.

While the author gives several suggestions on the important concepts it is not completely clear on how these concepts can be applied in all setting.

I enjoyed it but might need a second read to appreciate it.
Angela
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Provides a few useful tips about building and leading successful teams, but it's mostly about the author's experiences work on Mars rover technologies (which was quiet frankly more interesting than the leadership info provided). It was a bit of coincidence that I was reading this just as the Opportunity Rover mission was declared compete by NASA/JPL (the author was part of the team that designed the entry system for the rover).
Raymond Goss
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Good stories about NASA and Jet Propulsion Laboratory projects. The author mentioned how the the team dealt with failures and successes, worked through testing and verification of systems. In general, I thought the the information and processes discussed were interesting and insightful. I got a little tired of the book though.
Darcy Fox
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I had the privilege of hearing Mr. Steltzner speak at a Simulation conference. He was captivating and obviously very passionate about life. I think that energy shone through in his book. I did enjoy the book but to really understand it and appreciate it the full scope of the book, you need an engineering background at the least.
Kalli
More noteworthy for its inside look at some of the biggest space exploration missions of the last two decades than for its leadership lessons. The author does try to present his leadership philosophy, but it’s surprisingly nebulous and “new-agey” for an engineer. This will be of most interest to space enthusiasts.
Elaine
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This would be a great book for someone who's a NASA geek as they would likely enjoy the technical tidbits. For me, it was still interesting to read about the author's career path, hardships and determinants for success. I heard him speak once and thought he was quite reflective on these concepts as well.
Louis Olds
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am bias here due to my obsession with Mars and the success NASA has had exploring the red planet. This book is a great look into one of the major players on these types of projects and how he approaches critical decisions with billions of dollars in the balance and no plan B.
Michael Reibel Boesen
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read in one sitting at a vacation. Fun insight into a very complex mission. Made me miss JPL terribly :'(
Vincent
May 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Meh....
Ed
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good biographical account mixed in with an insider's view of this mission. The right amounts of humor, leadership lessons and storytelling.
Just_ann_now
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
We met Dr Steltzner at the kickoff of the "Discover Space!" summer program at our local library. He was an enthralling speaker, and his book is just as fascinating.
Trevor Christy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. Whether you're an engineer, someone who loves space, or someone who just likes thinking outside the box this book will have something for you.
Fadri Mokolintad
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

Rasa ingin tahu, itulah yang membedakan manusia dengan makhluk lain..
Nasir Ali
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good Inspiring reading on leadership under duress. Provided good insight on JPL and NASA culture and the type of leadership , teamwork and grit it take to accomplish these projects.
Barbara
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a pleasant surprise this book was! I was able to follow enough of the progress on the Mars Curiosity Entry, Descent, and Landing to thoroughly appreciate it; but I hadn't expected that it would also be a story of how to make things work in an organization.

I liked his thoughts on "self-authorization" -- "To really participate as a member of a team, you have to bring yourself to the process. Bringing all that you have requires offering up your opinion in the absence of an invitation. It requi
Dudee
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Part memoir, part leadership and career advice, and part introduction to landing a spacecraft on Mars, this is a very interesting book, suitable for public libraries and undergraduate/collage libraries.

The first thing that attracted me to this book is its dedication:
"...Dr. Prata helped me find that spark of curiosity that led to a fire of exploration and learning that changed my life, burned across the span of time, and put me where I am today." Adam Steltzner, the chief engineer in charge of t
Eric
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
I won this as part of a Goodreads giveaway. I really wanted to like this book. I'm very interested in the space program and the author has a fascinating and unusual personal story and path to JPL. My expectations were pretty high for the book as a result; possibly unfairly high.

The book starts out talking a bit about the author and where he comes from, how he got started at JPL, etc. The stated intent of the book is to be a leadership guide with illustrations of his personal experience woven th
  • Dragonfly: NASA and the Crisis Aboard Mir
  • The Interstellar Age: Inside the Forty-Year Voyager Mission
  • Flight: My Life in Mission Control
  • How To Control Your Anxiety Before It Controls You
  • Moon Lander: How We Developed the Apollo Lunar Module
  • Reimagined: How amazing people design lives they love
  • Into the Black: The Extraordinary Untold Story of the First Flight of the Space Shuttle Columbia and the Astronauts Who Flew Her
  • The Uses of Pessimism: And the Danger of False Hope
  • In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969
  • Counter Clockwise: Mindful Health and the Power of Possibility
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • Go, Flight!: The Unsung Heroes of Mission Control, 1965–1992
  • Digital Apollo: Human and Machine in Spaceflight
  • Korolev: How One Man Masterminded the Soviet Drive to Beat America to the Moon
  • She's Such a Geek!: Women Write About Science, Technology, and Other Nerdy Stuff
  • About Time: Cosmology and Culture at the Twilight of the Big Bang
  • North on the Wing: Travels with the Songbird Migration of Spring
  • Do Nothing!: How to Stop Overmanaging and Become a Great Leader
“It’s about letting ideas win, not people. It’s about finding what’s right, not being right.” 0 likes
“If you get a raise at a NASA field center, it’s through an act of Congress. To get fired, it almost takes an act of Congress.” 0 likes