Start by marking “Last Night's Reading: Illustrated Encounters with Extraordinary Authors” as Want to Read:
Last Night's Reading: Illustrated Encounters with Extraordinary Authors

Last Night's Reading: Illustrated Encounters with Extraordinary Authors

Irresistible illustrations of authors and the charming, wise, and hilarious things they say at their readings

Why do we go to book readings? For a chance to see the authors we love come to life off the page, answering our questions and proving to be the brilliant, witty people we catch glimpses of through their work. Illustrator Kate Gavino captures the wonder of this
Published October 27th 2015 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Last Night's Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Night's Reading

Start your review of Last Night's Reading: Illustrated Encounters with Extraordinary Authors
Julie Ehlers
This was obviously a very fast read, and not all of the drawings of authors really looked like who they were supposed to be. Still, this was fun and inspiring. Some of the author quotes and corresponding drawings are suitable for framing, so I'm contemplating buying another copy of the book for that purpose.
Book Riot Community
This is another amazing choice for readers and writers. Gavino attends a TON of readings, and she picks the most inspirational quote from the event, and captures it in ink. This is full of inspiration about writing, reading, working, and life, and is a great gift for book lovers and aspiring writers. I love that she'll never run out of material!

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all things new books, All The Books: http://bookriot.com/category/all-the-...
Linda
The author attends many book signings and readings where she listens to the author and she doodles. The book is a remembrance of a year of listening to authors and presenting the wisest or wittiest quotation from the authors. Some profound. Some witty. Some droll. Some puzzling. Very quick read in one session.
Brandi Johnson
So I met Kate at a cocktail hour at The Strand and she was drawing portraits for people. A friend and I sat together while she drew us and it was lovely talking with her. Obviously I had to buy her book and I was able to read the whole thing in one subway ride. It was so delightful, and I love the concept of her Tumblr.
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
First, I'll go on record saying I'm jealous. I want to be able to go to more book readings, but I live in a small city without much chance nearby. New Yorker Kate Gavino goes to lots of readings, and keeps a record with drawing of authors and their wise and funny quotes. It's a quick and fun read!
Allie
This was fine, but had so little context that it was really boring. A quote and a portrait of the author? I feel like someone printed a tumblr and stapled the pages together. Even when something originates as a blog, people usually flesh it out before publishing. This needs way more content.
Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks)
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, 2015
An truly magical and pint-sized book full of quotes from the most beloved authors of our time. The perfect present for that book lover in your life. I know I will revisit this again and again to remind myself of the joys of reading.
Rose
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A charming compendium of quotes from a variety of authors and a unique tribute to the joy and importance of book readings. I will return to this book again and again.
Alexandra
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
kate gavino is an illustrator who loves to frequent book readings at various bookstores throughout nyc and beyond. she makes drawings of the author, and writes down interesting or profound or thoughtful things that they say. in this book she includes a quote from each of the authors, and the date of the reading in which the quote came from, as well as a drawing of each author.

this is definitely a quick read. some of the quotes were kind of pompous and ridiculous? like this one from sheila
Aaron Jeffery
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a quick and simple read but had a lot of standout quotes
Trigger Warnings: discussion of death, tiny bit of sexism
Doreena Silva
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a cool little book to read! A really neat way to keep track of all your author book readings by making an awesome illustrated book out of them!
Yaritza
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Marvelous book that brings together authors quotes about life with illustrations of each author. I love that I completely understand the feeling of going to book signings and panels because you are able to dive into the authors thoughts and feelings about there works. I truly enjoy this book. The illustrations perfectly resembled each author. Plus loved the wonderful map of NYC that shows all the different book stores and events that I have been to myself.
Anna
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this, simply because it was not at all what I expected. However, it is a nice little book of quotes from dozen's of authors and it was enjoyable to read. It would make a nice gift for a bookish person.
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kate Gavino goes to tons of book signings in NYC and illustrates the authors while she's there. The illustrations are beautiful, colorful & eye-catching. She's super talented, and this is a great coffee table book full of fun and inspirational quotes by those authors.
Swan
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A simple, quick, yet deeply whimsical read. Full of lovely pools of inspiration, depth, passion, and so many wonderful words from so many wonderful authors! :-)
Aishe
I just really loved this. It was a perfect pocket companion, and beautiful. Provided food for thought, I'll be contemplating some of these quotes for some time yet.
Julie
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A charming, adorable, little collection of author quotes on different subjects, along with winsome illustrations. A very quick read. Margaret- you would love this!
Anmiryam
Charming and inspirational -- as I had expected from my trolling of the author's tumblr. This little book is a great gift to any reader or writer.
Shari Fox
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book to pick up and page through from time to time. It makes a great gift for any book lover.
Nicolettenat
I liked this book as an idea more than I like it's execution. What's exciting to me is how Gavino posed (at least to me) another way of documenting or being an audience member since it has never occurred to me to draw/doodle authors at readings but I really like her form of literally/mentally taking notes and it makes me think of alternative ways to being a participatory and engaged audience member (i.e,., listening or taking notes in a more traditional and bullet-point manner).

And the thing
Akiko
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-on-books
If you enjoy book readings, it’s hard not to be charmed by this little book. The author, Kate Gavino, uses hand lettered text and whimsical, colorful cartoon drawings to pay tribute to the extraordinary books and writers she has encountered. She starts by asking why we go to readings, then offers answers in the form of illustrated musings on the genius of writers. “They can write a single sentence that slays you with its truth,” she writes. Her enthusiasm for sharing what she sees and hears at ...more
Linda
Mar 22, 2017 added it
This is a beautiful little book that does nothing so well as celebrate literature. I had the distinct pleasure of interviewing Kate Gavino for the BEA PW Show Daily last year, ahead of its release. And she is every bit as lovely as her book.
We talked about how events build community, and that comes shining out in this book. It is full color, with different sections that divide the drawings she does. If you are ever at a reading in New York city (or nearby), and see a young Asian woman rapidly
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
The concept behind this book is really solid, in fact one I might try at book signings I go to, and as someone who goes to a lot of these types of events I was interested on seeing someone else's take but there wasn't much of the artist/author in this book so it ended up feeling like one of those great quote books where there is one or two worth remembering and the rest are meh. Plus in the full color sections it's just overworked and comes across as bad art. As for her illustrations of the ...more
Mizloo
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this birthday present to myself. IF it weren't a birthday present, I might demur. But the sketches of various authors are charming and the quote that made me really glad I bought the book was:
"If you're not enjoying something, it's almost always because you are doing it too fast." Donna Tartt
Nikoleta
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful little book! The author attends a large amount of book readings and signings but she isn't just a passive audience member, she doodles. She spends her time doodling the author and listening for the perfect quote to go along with their portrait. A great fast read for when you need some inspiration or a pick me up. I can see myself flipping through this book an endless amount of times!
Christy
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book makes me so happy! If there are two things I enjoy, it's color and quotes. (Much of my bedroom wall is covered with quotes I've written down.) After packing up for college, good quotes in calming and bright colors were just what I needed to unwind. Thanks for blessing us with this, Ms. Gavino!
Lainy122
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute little book! I loved the illustrations and quotes collected from various author signings, but I especially loved the insights into Kate Gavino's own event experiences.

Cool idea, cool book!
Deborah Sowery-Quinn
I am not a huge fan of graphic novels - as I want lots & lots of words - however, this is a book about books, one of my favourite genres, so it had to be somewhat interesting. And it was. The drawings were fun, the quotes interesting, overall entertaining & creative.
Carrie
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 A one-sitting read of a collection of quotes and drawings from Gavino's attendance at book signings/readings all over the NYC area. What a wealth of opportunity to draw from! Great choices of meaningful words and clever drawings. My new favorite go-to gift for book lovers!
Rachel
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very fast read--I recommend getting from the library. I enjoyed a lot of the quotes, and the illustrations.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip
  • What We See When We Read
  • Grass
  • Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • Sulwe