Start by marking “The Happy Kid Handbook: How to Raise Joyful Children in a Stressful World” as Want to Read:
The Happy Kid Handbook: How to Raise Joyful Children in a Stressful World

The Happy Kid Handbook: How to Raise Joyful Children in a Stressful World

With all the parenting information out there and the constant pressure to be the perfect parent, it seems as if many parents have lost track of one very important piece of the parenting puzzle: raising happy kids.

Parenting today has gotten far too complicated. It’s never been the easiest job in the world, but with all the “parenting advice” parents are met with at ev
Published October 20th 2015 by TarcherPerigee (first published September 1st 2015)

Shell
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
Parenting books usually make me a little nervous and cause more than a few eye rolls, since most tend to tout that they have the answer, the magical ONE WAY to parent that will lead to a happy home.

I can't even do the exact same thing for all of my own children and have it work for them, so I'm skeptical of any author who claims their way is the magical solution.

That's what's different about The Happy Kid Handbook: How to Raise Joyful Children in a Stressful World by Katie Hurley. She won me ear
Esra
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Çocukları mutlu ettik. Şimdi de sıra Prensimizi mutlu etmekte 🤭🤭🤭
Erin Buhr
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every parent should read this book sometime in the first 5 years of their child's life and then review it several times. The advice is practical and positive and strives to help every parent feel in control of raising happy children in a stress filled world.

The chapters are detailed but easily readable. Katie Hurley's advice spans childhood and talks about play, emotions, empathy, childhood stress and more. Each section has anecdotes, inspiration and activity ideas. She shares practical example
Marilyn Price-Mitchell
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read a review copy of this wonderful book by Katie Hurley and was so impressed by its value to parents and also the quality of writing. As a developmental psychologist, I try to keep up with books to recommend to parents who often struggle to find balance and to raise happy, well-adjusted kids. Katie's insights are practical and proven--great advice for parents in today's increasingly complex and stressful world.

Emotional regulation is an important psychological concept covered in this book.
Galit
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Katie Hurley has always been a breath of fresh air in the parenting advice world. When we're all pulled in so many different directions in what we want for our kids, she brings us home with perfect simplicity: we can raise happy kids. Her book is the how-to answer for busy families living full lives who want to put a happy childhood at the center of their goals. Her expertise as a therapist and a mother of two ground what shines through every single word in the book: she practices exactly what s ...more
Amy McCready
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book by Katie Hurley! As a parenting educator and mom, I appreciate the emphasis on taking back childhood and reducing stress for the whole family. The Happy Kid Handbook helps parents empower their kids to take control of their own happiness. Hurley provides parents with easy, actionable steps to help them understand what makes their kids tick and how to help them carve their own paths and cope with obstacles along the way. Highly recommended!

Amy McCready, Founder of Positive Pare
Jenny Feldon
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Katie Hurley's The Happy Kid Handbook was the parenting book I've been searching for since the day I had kids, but could never find. Beautifully written with real, inspiring and logical tactics for parenting kids in a high-stress world, I read it through start to finish and then went back to page one to start highlighting. Happy Kid is a breath of fresh air in a parenting era that often teaches you to question your own judgment and push kids to the limit. I felt like taking a deep sigh of relief ...more
Rick Ackerly
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Looking at parenting from the child’s point of view changes the game and helps parents to become learning partners with their children rather than engineers of their future.
The parent-child partnership did not improve when parent became a verb. In the last generation the proliferation of books teaching how “to parent” has increasingly made parents feel lost rather than found. Katie Hurley’s The Happy Kid Handbook helps to point us back to simply being parents by looking at the challenges of rais
Wendy
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It has some very good insights about how to raise children. My sister needs to read this book Pronto! I have always known each of my kids were separate individuals and that they require different things from me, but didn't understand why. This book helped me see these differences that I haven't been able to explain to others in a very understandable way. It will really help with my work with children and families.
Lisa
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A timely, friendly and useful narrative that is supported by research parents will find accessible and tips they will find actionable. As a parent, teacher and teacher-of-teachers, this book covers a lot of bases for adults, no matter what their role, to understand the role of stress and everyday life on our kids. What's more, Katie Hurley shows all of us ways we can feel a sense of control, identify what we can change and improve our outlook to weather those bumps.
Bam
I decided to read this recently-published book on parenting because of its title and because I am a first-time grandmother of the happiest little guy ever and hope to do my part in helping him stay that way. This book is full of practical advice and tips. "Savor the small moments, screenshot the happiness, and play as if no one is watching. You won't regret it."
Heather Turgeon
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Compassionate, smart, and practical advice on raising happy kids. Big ideas--backed by clinical wisdom and research--and step by step guidance on how to apply them.
-- Heather Turgeon, co-author of The Happy Sleeper
Samantha Hines
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Good info and advice but the book suffered from some institutionalized sexism--Daddy kept going off to work and mom needed mom friends.
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first, I was a little put off by the title of this book because I was unsure what the author meant by “happiness,” and I don’t necessarily believe that transitory, fleeting, superficial happiness should be a goal in raising children. I learned that what she actually means by “happiness” is “general contentedness because of resilience and the ability to cope with stressors (both positive and negative) in a healthy way.” That is a definition with which I can agree. I will be using some of the s ...more
April
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, audiobook
I listened to the audio of this book and half way through knew I had to buy it (and did) so that I can use it as a reference. This covers a broad range of scenarios and offers creative ideas on how to handle them, the biggest of those that I hope to be beneficial in our household... how to teach our little people to handle their big emotions in safe and effective ways. Looking forward to rereading the print copy of this book once it arrives in the mail! There's a lot of underlining, revisiting a ...more
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book helpful in giving practical advice through sharing coping strategies for different situations with children. Not all the examples and strategies were a good fit for my child and family, but there were a lot that were. All the info was a little overwhelming at times, but in the end, the book gave me some good take-aways to apply in my home.
Richard
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite nice ideas how to be a parent
Jennifer Fenn
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So glad I read this book! A refreshing, relate-able take on positive parenting with actionable advice on every page.
Edgar
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book about how to raise expressive and mindful kids by being an expressive and mindful parent.
Selah Pike
My daughter has a tendency to overreact with negative emotions when she's frustrated. I also struggle with my emotions ruling me, and I want to help her so that she doesn't continue to struggle into adulthood. I'm not sure exactly how helpful this book is, but it did make me realize that a few of the coping strategies I use (allowing myself a good cry, deep breathing, and talking back to my negative thoughts) are things that I can teach my daughter to do. It's a very anecdotal book, and I would' ...more
Roseanney Liu
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrific handbook giving parents a logical how-to in raising empathetic, independent, less stressed kids of today. I found so many wonderful tips that I can easily implement right away in helping and interacting with my children (age 9 and 6). An easy read with a welcoming voice that combines both Hurley's professional background as a psychotherapist and as a mother.
Julia
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Got the book based the good reviews, with high expectations of finding ideas to help my own child, but could not finish it. It started by saying u need to understand your child, which I am keen to know, just covered introvert vs extrovert, the book turns to get on tips how to teach EQ qualities to kids who can mostly articulate well. I had hoped for more on what to observe, why kids behave certain way etc, more than just intro/extra. Maybe it is the wordy writing style, and lack of truly inspiri ...more
Julie
Dec 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Mostly just skimmed this - was intended primarily for children younger than my son. A few good tidbits. Nothing new. Much prefer the perspective in I Just Want My Kids to Be Happy!: Why You Shouldn't Say It, Why You Shouldn't Think It, What You Should Embrace Instead.
Elaine Pasky
Decided not to read.
Jen
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. A great book full of practical things you can implement right away.
Victoria
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Read for July Richmond Family Magazine's Parenting by the Book. Very anecdotal. Would have preferred more research.
Nikki
Barbara
Jul 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Intuitive Parent: Why the Best Thing For Your Child is You
  • Keep Calm and Parent On: A Guilt-Free Approach to Raising Children by Asking More from Them and Doing Less
  • Permission to Parent: How to Raise Your Child with Love and Limits
  • 101 Ways to Help Your Daughter Love Her Body
  • Mindful Discipline: A Loving Approach to Setting Limits and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child
  • The Me, Me, Me Epidemic: A Step-by-Step Guide to Raising Capable, Grateful Kids in an Over-Entitled World
  • How Toddlers Thrive: What Parents Can Do Today for Children Ages 2-5 to Plant the Seeds of Lifelong Success
  • Growing Up Godless: A Parent's Guide to Raising Kids Without Religion
  • Mean Moms Rule: Why Doing the Hard Stuff Now Creates Good Kids Later
  • The Game Theorist's Guide to Parenting: How the Science of Strategic Thinking Can Help You Deal with the Toughest Negotiators You Know--Your Kids
  • 7 Steps to Raising a Bilingual Child
  • Magic Trees of the Mind: How to Nurture Your Child's Intelligence, Creativity, and Healthy Emotions from Birth Through Adolescence
  • You'd Be So Pretty If . . .: Teaching Our Daughters to Love Their Bodies--Even When We Don't Love Our Own
  • The Self-Esteem Trap: Raising Confident and Compassionate Kids in an Age of Self-Importance
  • Raising Great Kids - Parenting with Grace and Truth