Start by marking “The Hunting Trip” as Want to Read:
The Hunting Trip

The Hunting Trip

At the tender age of sixteen, Philip W. Williams III is expelled from boarding school for committing a prank, and on the train home naturally wonders where his life will take him now. It never enters his mind that he will become a world-class marksman and a special agent of the U.S. Army Counterintelligence Corps in postwar Germany, play a key role in the defection of a So ...more
Published December 29th 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Hunting Trip, please sign up.
Peter Mars I cant answer this question but this expletives deleted all through the book is a nonsense and ruins the story don't bother
…more
(less)

Start your review of The Hunting Trip
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay I don't have a "romance shelf" as I don't care for romances...and this is undoubtedly a romance. When I started the book I was sure I wouldn't finish it. If I did finish it I was also sure I would never rate it over a 2 and more likely a 1.

Hummmm.....

You know I've read a lot of W.E.B. Griffin's "military" books. I always did think/feel that the books were really more (too much often) about the personal lives of the personnel involved and so on. Here we jump right into a story that is told a
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A DNF. This read more like some script to some film from the 70s than, well, anything.
Caren
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't like the book initially, but as it went on I started to see the humor in it. It's a total spoof of the genre and writers we all know (WEB Griffin, Tom Clancy, etc.). I found myself laughing out loud several times. You can't read it as a serious book, and once you realize that, it's pretty good. I could have done with less "expletive deleted"'s, because that became rather tiresome early.
Joseph Carano
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a give away fron Goodreads. This was a very comedic writing to say the least. It was not what I expected from this author,but came off as a pleasant surprise. Mr. Butterworth III aka W E B Webb is not known for parody,but did a great job with this tome. Reminded me of one of my all time favorites, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. It leaves the reader guessing if this was an autobiography or just a great story. Did not matter to me,but a good read all the same.
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
References are made inside the the story that The Hunting Trip is a romance novel and includes lots of sex. Basically it is the story of Phil Williams and his transition from soldier to writer intertwined with several sub-plots. While readable, it is not at the standard of The Corps and other works which were written under the W.E.B. Griffin pen name.
Carolynne
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, romance
Holy EXPLETIVE DELETED, Batman! Why use one EXPLETIVE DELETED word when 1500 EXPLETIVE DELETED words will do?! This is an EXPLETIVE DELETED tedious and horribly flawed book! The painful wordiness of it was second only to the constant repetitions of EXPLETIVE DELETED which felt like getting hammered on the head with rubber bowling pin, ie., It’s not the impact itself but the cumulative effect that causes pain.

I particularly hate the way the author scripts conversations (of which there are a plet
John
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book by the otherwise-known W.E.B. Griffin (author of a lot of decent military fiction), here writing under his real name, is just weird. It has a couple of interesting story-lines, separated by about 20 years, and which kept me going to the end. The writing style, however, is extremely "cutesy" and suited to a 1970s book, not one released in 2015, as are the attitudes toward women and race (of course, one story-line is set in the 1970s). The story-line that is set in the immediate post-war ...more
Joseph M. O'Connor
WAY too contrived...

Butterworth wants SO badly to be a humorous writer, but fails miserably. Every good comic knows pacing and timing and "flow." Butterworth fails at the zany and the wacky exactly because this book is TOO zany and TOO wacky. He's trying too hard. There is no pacing. No timing. No flow. The first few pages were almost brilliantly wacky. But he didn't know how to pace himself. His timing consists on a constant barrage of impossibly contrived situations. The book does not flow...
Lori Tatar
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
William E Butterworth III authored "The Hunting Trip", which I received from Goodreads. The narrative is excessive, with too little dialogue. The dialogue that is present is unnatural and I felt like if I had to read "EXPLETIVE DELETED!!" one more time, I would poke my own eye out. I give this story a very soft three stars as it is not quite bad enough to warrant only two. On the plus side, the cover art is pretty good.
Barry
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I pushed myself to finish this only because WEB Griffin is a favorite author. The 3 stars was a Very generous rating for this somewhat acceptable humorous pastiche of his own writing. The worst and most annoying thing was the constant Expletive Deleted. Actually the book was Expletive Deleted.
Lamar
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Good but not really good enough for a repeat reading and won this here.
Tim
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent writing and narration by Wil Damron held my interest throughout this entertaining novel to earn the second 5 star of 2016. 10 of 10 stars
Olivia
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found "The Hunting Trip" really hard to get into. In part because as others have mentioned, there are so many "EXPLETIVE DELETED"s that it throws off the flow, and in part because women are objectified pretty early and often- and they have some pretty stereotypical roles (e.g. the hunting trip is proposed by the women because how else can they get their husbands to take them shopping in London? Because goals). I felt that a lot of the jokes fell pretty flat for me. There are also a lot of side ...more
Joe
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is not the worst book I've read, but certainly not very high on the list. The quality of work from this author has continued to decline over time and this effort continues that trend. The editing was poor (referring to emails for a letter that took place in 1976), the plot seemed to change throughout the book, the characters were partially developed and then either left alone or seemed to change. Aside from the inconsistencies and weak writing, the characters and situations were generally u ...more
Thomas Abele
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a stretch to think of the hand that created some of my favorite fictional characters like Craig Lowell and Flem Pickering also wrote The Hunting Trip. But yet they all had a similar feel with much attention to detail where it meant the most. Unlike any of the books in the Brotherhood of War series or The Corps series, The Hunting Trip is a romance novel. The author says so right at the beginning. It is full of over the top characters, over the top plotlines and is way, way over the top. I ...more
William Howle
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a hoot! People who don't recognize parody will be put off. I have so many of his books with the nom de plume W.E.B Griffin that it was easy to see what he was doing. His initial books were in paperbacks and I started reading when The Brotherhood of War series came out in hardbacks. I bought the first seven as a package years ago. Still have them. Our older son read them and became a fan. Some of the recent books have ongoing dialogue that turns me off. Get to the point!
Joseph
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review is for the audio version of the book. The store is excellent. I found myself easily falling into it and laughing out loud at certain points. I'm not sure how I would rate the book version because many of the things I found engaging in the audio (e.g., the over-the-top repetition of peoples titles) may not carry over but Will Damron's narration makes all the difference. Overall, a great listen.
Keith Barrack
Not bad, a little different then the typical W. E. B. Griffin Novel.

Not bad, a little different then the typical W. E. B. Griffin Novel. The military portions were good and the rest was interesting. I didn’t like the parts where the author talked to the reader about romance novels and “drawing the curtain” over the sex parts. To distracting. Also, they never really gave much information about Ginger Gallagher and why she loved Phil.
Garry Boyette
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I've read many books by W.E.B. Griffin, first one by William E. Butterworth III. Disappointed me quite a bit. I quickly tired of reading the phrase “EXPLETIVE DELETED”. Don’t know if that was just the mobi version I was reading or if the paper copy is that way too. Don’t know if there will be another attempt at the III again.
Robert
Jun 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not sure what Butterworth had in mind, but this book is disorganized and jumps around too much. His use of expletive deleted hundreds (thousands?) of times is almost enough to make you stop reading it.
I slogged through to the end, but it is not that good. It is not a romance; more of a comedy (satire?).
Fortunately I got it as a remainder for about $5.00.
Cpl. Stephen W Carter US Army Retired
Either write without using adult language or use the words instead of EXPLETIVE DELETED

The story was good but all of the EXPLETIVE DELETED placed throughout were an unnecessary distraction that constantly disrupted the flow of the story. It would have been better to either use the actual word's or write the story without any adult language.
Christian J
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! Butterworth, aka Griffin, has done it again. His ability to weave a tale which teases and taunts is fantastic! If this isn't an autobiography, can we at least nominate the character to do the next Dos Equis commercials?
William Wisnewski
Patients will be rewarded.

What started out as a one star ended as a five star book. Not what I expected from the author but the character development was typical of him. Be patient and you will be rewarded.
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I might have given this book a four if not for all of the "expletive deleteds".
Chuckdee
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Entertaining and a fun read...but not, by any stretch, a literary masterpiece;-)
Donn Lorber
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Weird and very dry humor story of love,lust and pheasant hunting. Took awhile to get the story, pretty entertaining
David McCurdy
Not my type of read.
Karen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stupid but fun

So much fun to read but totally foolish. Love his writing style. Can't wait to read another of his books.
Marc
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Completely lost interest after about 100 pages.
Joe
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A tongue-in-cheek version of his thrillers, lots of details withan off-kilter view of things...
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Enemy of My Enemy (Clandestine Operations #5)
  • Top Secret (Clandestine Operations #1)
  • By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1)
  • The Assassination Option (Clandestine Operations, #2)
  • Deadly Assets (Badge of Honor, #12)
  • Black Ops (Presidential Agent, #5)
  • The Outlaws (Presidential Agent, #6)
  • The Last Witness (Badge of Honor, #11)
  • Broken Trust (Badge Of Honor)
  • Covert Warriors (Presidential Agent, #7)
  • The Traffickers (Badge of Honor, #9)
  • The Honor of Spies (Honor Bound, #5)
  • Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)
  • The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor, #10)
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • Blood and Honor (Honor Bound, #2)
  • The Shooters (Presidential Agent, #4)
  • Death at Nuremberg (Clandestine Operations, #4)
William Edmund Butterworth III is a writer of military and detective fiction with over a hundred (and counting) books published under multiple names.

Pseudonyms include:
Jack Dugan
John Kevin Dugan
W.E.B. Griffin
Eden Hughes
Blakely St. James (with Charles Platt and Hart Williams)
Edmund O. Scholefield