Start by marking “The Marsh Madness (Book Collector Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Marsh Madness (Book Collector Mystery, #4)

The Marsh Madness

(A Book Collector Mystery #4)

The national bestselling author of The Wolfe Widow presents another spine-tingling mystery featuring rare book collector Jordan Bingham and some Ngaio Marsh first editions worth killing for…

Jordan works hard to improve Vera Van Alst’s collection of classic detective stories. So when Chadwick Kauffman—heir to the Kauffman fortune—offers a very good price on a fine collectio
Published September 1st 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Marsh Madness, please sign up.
Abby Fabian The Wolfe Widow is the third book in this series, and is based in November and reaches Thanksgiving. It is a GREAT series!

Ellen
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Marsh Madness by Victoria Abbott.

The 4th installment in the Book Collectors mystery series. This latest mystery centers on a Ngaio Marsh first edition collection offered to Vera Van Alst for a price. Uncle Kev, Jordan and of course Vera were all invited for an elaborate luncheon at the Chadwick estate for the official exchange of that Marsh collection for the price of $10,000.

The luncheon was superb and the elegance of Summerlea, the Chadwick Estate, lived up to its name...but something was
Betty
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, cozy, cats, own
In this edition, Jordan is excited as Chadwick Kauffman has invited Vera Van Alst, Uncle Kev and her to a formal luncheon at his home Summerlea. Vera is buying pristine first editions of Ngaio Marsh. The next day Jordan and her friends' lives came crashing down, as the police informed them that they are suspects in the murder of Chadwick. Uncle Kev disappears as the police arrive. The homicide inspector is harnessing Jordan relentlessly. Her lawyer, Sammy C. arrives and puts a stop to the questi ...more
Sue Em
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fun series that combines a love of golden age mystery/authors with a feisty heroine who is determined to be the first one in her family of charming miscreants to stay on the right side of the law. Her job is managing the book collections of the most hated woman in a small New England town. In this book, a collection of New Zealand mystery legend, Ngaio Marsh, is up for sale, but complications ensure. Full of plot twists, this book is sure to win you over.
Once Upon a Romance Reviews

4.5 Stars
Sexual Content: None
Language (Profanity/Slang) Content: None/Negligible
Violent Content: Negligible

Snappy, a real go-getter sums up Jordan. Puzzling and chaotic sums up the hot mess she, Vera Van Alst, and Uncle Kev find themselves in. The mess itself is ludicrous. The Kelly's are many things, but murderers they are not. And Vera? Totally laughable.

Jordan goes to great lengths to expose the person(s) responsible for the murder and protect Uncle Kev and Vera. Sadly these lengths lead to
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Author Victoria Abbott always gives her readers a great ride for their money. No one pens mystery and intrigue the way this author does. I always know I’m in for a good read when I pick up the newest installment of the Book Collector Mystery series. But THE MARSH MADNESS was beyond good. It was superb!

Murder, impostors, and surprises abounded in this fast paced mystery. Edge of my seat reading kept me turning each page desperate to discover the villain, while at the same time not wanting the sto
Susan
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book has an unfortunate opening chapter with Jordan Bingham in a discussion with her employer, the insufferable Vera Van Alst. They have been invited to lunch at Chadwick Kauffman’s mansion as part of a transaction to acquire a set of Ngaio Marsh first editions. So, of course when Chadwick is killed, their fingerprints are all over the murder scene. About the only thing I liked in the book is that Roderick Allen actually helps Jordan solve the murder. But I prefer heroines who are not so slo ...more
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozies-mysteries
I'm trying to like this series, really I am. But Jordan makes me want to slap her on a regular basis and Vera is just a bitch.

I'm listening to the audio book version too, and if I hear, "Eaat, eaat," one more time I am going to scream.

I think I am done with this series.
Andree
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Ugh. This series likes to go off the rails. For some reason it's a trainwreck I can't look away from.

I have several issues with this one:

-The series is too ridiculously dramatic. Like, the number of times Jordan has gotten in serious legal trouble/almost died (or Vera's almost died) is ridiculous, given that her whole schtick is that she's "the Kelly who's gone straight"
-Apparently book 5 starts with Jordan nearly getting killed while on holiday, so this trend seems like it will continue. Seriou
Jenna
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this is a case of a series getting better as the writing improves.
While it still moves a little slow, this time the “dead body” is found quickly & the game is afoot as it were.
(ie. the mystery started shortly after the beginning)
also, i think the characters are developing. i like how Vera isn't as crotchety as she appears to be.
and when will jordan figure out that her best friends are romantically involved?
or am i the only one getting that?

Another intriguing mystery. Light humor.
Go
Mary Ann
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Back to Ms. Bingham and her search for first editions for her employer, Vera. They had been contacted by the assistant to a man who had inherited from his uncle. They were to bring cash to the sale and after they had left the place, it was quick because that is the way, her Uncle Lucky drove. The next day, she gets a phone call from her friend, Lance, telling her that the man who owned the books was found dead. The detective feels that Vera, Lucky, and Jordan were the people who murdered the man ...more
Andrea Stoeckel
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘One week earlier my life had been rosy. Beyond rosy. Perfect job, perfect living arrangements, perfect relationship with Tyler, all things considered. I had been secure and happy. And now? It seemed like I was the victim of a cosmic joke. Everything was falling apart. And the worst was yet to come.‘

In this, the fourth in Victoria Abbot’s Book Collector Mystery Series, the mystery author who becomes the metaphor for this story, and Naigo Marsh’s sleuth is along for the ride as Jordan Bingham, Ke
Linda Smatzny
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable story featuring Jordan Bingham as the main character who along with her uncle Kev, and her boss, Vera Van Alst, get accused of murder and robbery. The three of them are invited to a private estate to purchase some first editions of Ngaio Marsh when things go wrong. It turns out it was all a set up but Jordan cannot figure out why and who is behind it. The book was a quick easy read.
Dez Nemec
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I don't understand why this book is getting such high marks. The twist was unexpected, but I got so bogged down with all the descriptions and the Ngaio Marsh illusions. Plus the end didn't make me Smile in the least. (Best I can do without spoiling things.) Maybe I just need a cozy break.
Tina
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine your getting on a roller coaster, your buckled in the seat. Your heart is pounding with anticipation, your palms are sweaty as you grip on to the handles. Your head starts to w when the roller coaster starts up. You feel suspense building, then your off. Twists and turns and suddenly your upside down. And suddenly your afraid. Then slowly you come down again and everything is calm and your happy and excited and want to do it all over again. That's how listening to The March Madness by Vi ...more
Lynn
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What could be more idyllic for Jordan Bingham who works for Vera Van Alst helping her purchase first edition mystery books than to visit and have lunch at the Kauffman estate named Summerlea. Vera could care less about the lunch and visit but she wanted very much to purchase 1st editions of Ngaio Marsh books. Soon after the visit Jordan, Vera and Uncle Kev find themselves as prime suspects in a murder case.The authors take themes from famous mystery authors and work them into the plot. In this c ...more
Ed
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
#4 in the Book Collector mystery series. A good series entry as Jordan continues to locate books for her irascible employer, Vera Van Alst. This time around, she dips into the 32 mysteries written by Ngaio Marsh and channels Inspector Roderick Alleyn, the detective brought to print by the New Zealand author. Great fun with Jordan on the run from the cops and with plot twists waiting to bring the villains to justice.

Book Collector mystery - Jordan works hard to improve Vera Van Alst's collection
Barb
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The ladies Maffini, writing as Victoria Abbot, have created another masterpiece in their Book Collector Series. This entry focuses on Ngaio Marsh, the wonderful, prolific, "giant of the Golden Age" of British mysteries. Since Marsh's works contained a high degree of theatricality, THE MARSH MADNESS does as well. Jordan Bingham, her employer, avid book collector Vera Van Alst, and her rascally Uncle Kevin are invited to a luncheon at the extravagantly beautiful estate, Summerlea. There they are w ...more
Margaret
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
So far I have enjoyed this series. Jordan works for Vera Van Alst helping her maintain and grow her book collection. In this book, Vera has a chance to obtain a wonderful collection of first edition Ngaio Marsh mysteries. The only problem with this series is that things are just a little too overdone. Vera is a little TOO cranky. Uncle Kevin is a little TOO stupid. They eat TOO much food. I enjoy the characters a lot, but I just wish she would tone it down just a tad. I would also like to actual ...more
Jennifer Brown
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I missed this series! Not sure why I hadn't read this one, but when I saw that the next one came out, I realized I had missed this book!

It sucked me right in! I love the main characters and the not-so-straight family! Jordan, her family, and Vera are entertaining characters in their own way! This one had them all being framed for murder! I loved when she hid in Tyler's house. It was kind of perfect :-) Of course they help solve the mystery and everyone is happy at the end...especially an old rom
Grey853
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
andrea
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book
Starting to suspect i may just not like this series. Most of the characters just bug me...I don't find the uncles amusing, the Van Pelt household likeable, Jordan or her friends engaging...I don't even like the dog Walter... so I'm not particularly interested in seeing them out of peril. The most interesting character is Officer Smiley and the last 2 books he's been either mostly absent or portrayed as an antagonist...so who knows how much longer he will be around.
Have the fifth book so will giv
Becky
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the theme of this series and the writing plus I have been introduced to new authors who are actually classic mystery writers! For many years I volunteered at our public library shelving books and Ngaio Marsh was very popular. Unfortunately, I had little time to read books those years and I assumed Marsh was a man. Marsh Madness corrected that and YouTube helped learn how to pronounce her name! One of the things that I like about this series is how the characters work together!
Anne
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You know that old saying about a deal being too good to be true, well Jordan & her employer Vera Van Alst get caught up in a murder mystery dilemma when they ignore this advice. A collection of Ngaio Marsh first edition books turn out to be the start of an intriguing murder mystery that will keep you guessing right until the thrilling conclusion. This is another excellent book in the Book Collector Mysteries series - can't wait for the 5th!
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

Homerun2
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
These books are just my cup of tea. I love smart ass female protagonists, Golden Age mystery authors, and felonious relatives. This series is unadulterated fun.

Jordan Bingham works as a research assistant to rich and cranky old Vera Van Alst, a collector of vintage mysteries. Vera and Jordan meet another collector to arrange a sale and are invited to an elegant lunch in a classic home. Then everything goes to hell.

The collector is found murdered. The police are receiving anonymous tips and findi
Adrianna Scibor
Sandra Hernandez
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What can I say this has been one of my favorite series not only do they deal with old mysteries that I can look up and read but I enjoy Jordan and the Kellys. This is an easy read and I did not realize who the murderer was it was interesting to meet someone new but old. Vera's role was smaller this time but at least Cherie showed up as well can not wait for the next book
Stephanie
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first 1/4 and last 1/4 but the middle was drawn out a bit. I figured out "The Who Done It" about 1/3 way into the middle of the book and just wanted it wrapped up. I enjoy the characters but prefer the Vera/Jordan interactions which were lacking.
Tad Richards
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Takes a long time to get going - longer than it needs to, because by the time she’s figured out the mcGuffin that sets the plot in motion, you’re screaming it at her - but once it gets going, it’s fast paced and complex. Enjoyable characters. I’d read another.
Susan
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I just adore everything about this cozy mystery series: the book researcher heroine, the shy policeman love-interest, the grumpy
book collector boss, the Italian cook and housekeeper, the charming but larcenous Irish uncles.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• And Then There Were Nuns (League of Literary Ladies #4)
  • Killer Characters (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #8)
  • Played by the Book (Novel Idea, #4)
  • Booked for Trouble (Lighthouse Library Mystery #2)
  • Cover Story (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery, #3)
  • Title Wave (Booktown Mystery #10)
  • Better Late Than Never (Library Lover's Mystery, #7)
Pseudonym used by Victoria Maffini and mother Mary Jane Maffini.

A Book Collector Mystery (5 books)
  • The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1)
  • The Sayers Swindle (Book Collector Mystery #2)
  • The Wolfe Widow (Book Collector Mystery #3)
  • The Hammett Hex (Book Collector Mystery #5)