Start by marking “Devoted in Death (In Death, #41)” as Want to Read:
Devoted in Death (In Death, #41)

Devoted in Death

(In Death #41)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  15,394 ratings  ·  1,305 reviews
Eve Dallas tracks a couple whose passion is fueled by cold brutality in the newest crime thriller from the #1 New York Times–bestselling author of Obsession in Death and Festive in Death.

When Lieutenant Eve Dallas examines a body in a downtown Manhattan alleyway, the victim’s injuries are so extensive that she almost misses the clue. Carved into the skin is the shape of a
Published September 15th 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Devoted in Death, please sign up.
Kathrynrose Prior to this book, I thought it was McNabb. Now, I'm thinking it's the whole squad, maybe taking turns sleuthing out the hiding spot. I can imagine…morePrior to this book, I thought it was McNabb. Now, I'm thinking it's the whole squad, maybe taking turns sleuthing out the hiding spot. I can imagine them making a contest of it, and playing dumb whenever the question arises.(less)
Phil They are all fairly good at filling you in on whatever background you need, but as others have said there is great pleasure in reading all of them in…moreThey are all fairly good at filling you in on whatever background you need, but as others have said there is great pleasure in reading all of them in sequence and watching developments unfold…if this is the only one you have to hand, by all means read it, but I'll bet it makes you want to catch up with the rest ;-) (less)

·  15,394 ratings  ·  1,305 reviews

Phrynne
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't think of anyone else who has written 41 books in a series and the current book is still every bit as good as the first one. In fact it is better because by now we know and love each and every character and understand their every move. This book is classic Robb. Eve and Peabody provide the entertainment, Roarke and Eve are the ongoing love story and Galahad continues trying to steal the bacon. At the same time every one is involved in serious police work which eventuates as usual in captu ...more
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

A modern-day version of Bonnie and Clyde swath a murderous track across the country, going undetected until they land in New York City, getting the attention of the NYPSD's top murder cop, Lieutenant Eve Dallas.

This one's mostly about the procedural, trying to figure out the identity of two serial killers who haven't seemed to have left a trail. I really enjoyed the whole process of assembling the clues, especially as we're given the killers' points of view e
Ren
Feb 16, 2015 marked it as own-unread  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-mass-market
More Eve and Roarke?
Heck, YES!!
Mo
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have some psychopaths on the run here and Eve and her guys have to find them before there is another death.

Fast paced. Kept us on our toes, wondering would Eve get the killers in time to save more lives.

"Would you kill for me?" - Eve

"I would, yes, of course." - Roarke

"Whatever came before, whatever comes after, I know what love is because of you."

"Go on now, and mind your step out there. I definitely want a cop in my bed tonight."

"I bet that's something you never thought you'd say."

He wa
Jilly
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Perfect timing for my review of a book about a redneck couple that goes on a killing spree.

You all know that I live in a suburb in Texas and we have us some major rednecks in our neighborhood. I have told you that every weekend there is a redneck ho-down on our street and that our redneck neighbors have an aversion to drinking inside their own homes. That's what driveways are for. So, last night's ho-down started early. They were drinking outside all afternoon and kept going all night. Well, me
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

A series that’s still exciting and fresh after no less than 41 installments is truly something to admire. I don’t think there are many authors who can produce such a thing, and in fact, I know only of one: the wonderful, the incomparable J.D Robb, or Nora Roberts, if you will.

In Death series is a wonderful blend of romance, thriller and futuristic police procedurals. The futuristic setting sets it apart from others of its genre, as do the strong relationships between characters, both
Carol
DEVOTED IN DEATH (#41) in J. D. Robb's In Death series really grabs you from the start and continues on with Lieutenant Eve Dallas of the NYPSD and cohorts in hot pursuit of a young couple who view murder as a way to earn a living as well as a sexually enticing game.

If you're a fan of Eve, Hunky ROARK and the gang, don't think you'll be disappointed in this fast-moving episode. If I had one complaint though, this is the first time I felt an absence of the futuristic atmosphere as deeply as the o

Katie(babs)
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading an In Death novel is like being wrapped up in a warm blanket on a cold night. These books are comfort reads (even with the gruesome crimes and deaths) because you know by the end Eve will have caught the bad guy with the help of her crew, and her amazing husband, Roarke (the most perfect hero in all of romance, so says me).

Devoted in Death is the 41st book in this futuristic series by JD Robb, aka Nora Roberts. It takes place in the beginning of 2061, which is only 2 years or so from the
Brenda
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having arrived back in New York the day before from a relaxing vacation with Roarke, Lieutenant Eve Dallas was thrust immediately into the business of murder when a well-known and loved cellist was found brutally murdered. Immediately the investigation became full-on with Eve’s team working almost around the clock. The bitter cold of New York’s streets did nothing to hamper the NYPSD, but when Eve and Peabody discovered they had serial killers on their doorstep, the investigation intensified.

The
Marta Cox
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
It's been quite a while since I've read one of the In Death books but when I spotted this on a Netgalley I just couldn't resist. It's a great concept to showcase the possible workings of New York police in the future and to centre it around such very strong characters . Eve and Roarke are always front and centre but as this series has progressed it's been admirably fleshed out with a supporting cast with all the enthusiasm of the Scooby gang! Now add in the fact that each book is a crime drama t ...more
Ann Lou
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We have a pair of sadistic spree killers in love (their own warp definition of love). They get off torturing and killing people. They did just that while travelling states with New York as their destination. Sick, psychotic f@ckers.

A lot things happened in this one. It was nail biting. What a thrill ride.

And even with all that we have sweet moments from Roarke and Eve.

And Trueheart is now a detective!
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
Awesome as always. I tell you what, the case, the relationships, and the absolute trust I have in this author is unflapable.

Laura (Kyahgirl)
2/5; 2 stars; D

Lots of people loved this book but I sure didn't. I've come to the sad realization that I have to break up with J.D. Robb/Susan Ericksen. From my perspective, there were many things wrong with this book in terms of both narration and writing.
I've listened to Ericksen narrate 'in Death' books before and it never bothered me much, even though she wasn't my favorite narrator. This books narration was downright aggravating. I've never been fond of how Ericksen interprets Peabody but
Jess
Jan 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
I might just be book cranky, but whatever grade I might have given this is being obscured by two things.

1) Honestly, crime fighting aside, Eve is getting more stupid by the book. The not understanding idioms or time zones or whatever isn't quirky or cute, 40 some books into a series. Instead, it's annoying and makes your heroine look like an idiot.

2) The Midwest/interior United States bashing was disgusting. WE GET IT, PEOPLE FROM THE MIDWEST ARE DUMB AND HAVE FUNNY NAMES AND AREN'T NEARLY AS AW
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Once separated, Ella-Loo and Darryl vow never to be parted again. As they go off to follow their dreams, they are stalled when their car breaks down. Ella-Loo plays up the act and hails down a good Samaritan who offers to help except instead of just knocking him out, Darryl and Ella-Loo actually kill him. This sparks a desire to kill and now these two lovers don’t just feel great desire for each other, they desire to hurt, kill, maim others too.

Eve Dallas and her crew are on it, trying to stop
Ade
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller-crime, 2015

At this point in the series Roberts is writing just for the sake of writing. Roarke is always so perfect /understanding I could puke and God forbid Eve gets outsmarted by the villain just once.

No, I don't want to read the same old shit wrapped in a different package (same plot with a different crime story and no character development). It would be nice to see some tension between Roarke and Eve, instead of this constant lovey dovey.

Shawna
4 stars - Futuristic/Crime/Romantic Suspense/Mystery/Romantic Thriller/Science Fiction

“Whatever came before, whatever comes after, I know what love is because of you.” He took her free hand. “Whatever came before, whatever comes after, it’s you who’ve shown me love changes everything. Lifts everything. Gives everything.”
Miki
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am so disappointed in this book. Different crime, but same basic plot, same characters, same dialog. Before you start reading you know that:

Eve will solve the case with utterly amazing leaps of intuition, and demonstrate ever-rising levels of crudity and intolerance of everyone who is not a cop;

Between delivering speeches of utter amazement at how utterly amazing Eve is, Roarke will give a fashion commentary every time she gets dressed (seriously?), and will lose his temper at least once;

She-
JuliaOrlando
Ella-Loo and her boyfriend Darryl hit the road from Arkansas to New York City to live out their dreams, leaving a trail of violence and murder victims in their wake. But now they're in the jurisdiction of homicide Lt. Eve Dallas, her husband Roarke and her team of detectives at the New York Police and Security Dept who have every intention of tracking them down.....

This is the 41st installment of JD Robb's "In Death" series and as far as I'm concerned it's just as good as the 1st book in the ser
♥Sharon♥
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Oh dear god. What a couple of nutcases we have in this one. I JUST LOVED IT THOUGH. J.D. is keeping this series fresh even at book #41. This one will definitely be one of my top 10. Although, I should bump that list up to a top 20. :)

There is a prologue in Devoted in Death which sets up the plot and introduces us to aforementioned nutcases but it didn’t quite prepare me for what unfolds in NYC. Talk about being “devoted” to each other. What drives these two to do what they do is f’ing crazy.

As
Fay Roberts
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-review
Devoted in Death is a slick, fast paced police procedural. Reading it is akin to watching a show like Almost Human.

The author never shies away from the darker or seedier aspects in this tale of a psychotic couple who go on a murdering rampage across Northern American, using torture and death to ignite their passion. However, she does manage to strike a balance between the necessary details needed to make the story and the use of blood, gore or sex as sensational. There are no long winded autops
Anne OK
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Forty-one books and this series is still going strong. I've loved this series from the very beginning, some installments more than others but always a strong solid read that brings marvelous hours of reading pleasure. Bravo to J.D. Robb on this amazing accomplishment through the years.

Was excited to see a glimpse of Oklahoma, my home state, as readers become involved in another intense and gritty crime spree committed by a couple of crazy kids on the loose. When they end up in NYC, our super du
Diane
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So refreshing to pick up a book just knowing that it's going to be good! My favourite series for good reason.

Think Bonnie & Clyde with a twist for this book. Well written, flows smoothly, and keeps you interested from paragraph one. No spoilers here. Only found 2 YANNI's (which should never happen if you have a good editor or two proof reading your work).

Enjoyed this book the second time around as much as the first.

2 thumbs up and 5 stars
Mei
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
How about a futuristic Bonnie and Clyde couple who thinks they are Romeo and Juliet and gets turned on by killing people? That is what Eve Dallas has to deal with in this the latest book in the "In Death" series.

I have only read one book previous in this series and it took some time to get used to the futuristic world and to get to know the characters. So it was easier to read this book than the last since now I'm more used to everything and know the character better.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas and th
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: NC-17
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: Absolutely Loved it
Characters: Well Written
Plot: A Sick twisted lovers on a killing spree
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Reed

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This tale took a jaunt on the darker side of things. The killers were sick and twisted and I didn’t expect the story to go there and it did. I have to say I was drawn more into these because I felt like I knew the killers a bit more.

For a full rev
Darcy
Whenever a new In Death book comes out I always jump on it on release day. With this book is was no different.

Part of my fun in reading this series is all the interplay with the secondary characters and Eve. There wasn't a lot of that this time around. The one highlight was the "hick" cop that came and helped Eve connect the dots. It was great that they could bring down the bad guys together. I also loved all the stuff with Trueheart, loved how everyone was worried about him and then how they h
Kirsten
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Another visit to the 2060s NYC! One thing about these books -- I will ignore practically everything until I finish.

Susan Ericksen again is excellent as the narrator of this series.

Not the best in the series, but certainly two of the most twisted killers. You could say that the criminal pair in this book are the twisted reflection of Eve and Roarke. But a very dim and pale reflection. Not nearly as smart as Eve and Roarke, but nearly as devoted.

Not nearly enough Roarke in this book as I'd like, b
Paraphrodite
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
J.D. Robb : Devoted in Death (Spoiler Zone) 314 189 Feb 07, 2017 04:42AM
Around the Year i...: Devoted in Death, by J.D. Robb 2 23 Jul 09, 2016 05:33PM
Play Book Tag: Devoted in Death by J.D. Robb - 4 stars 2 15 Feb 20, 2016 08:21AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Narrator 2 15 Dec 20, 2015 03:26AM
The Challenge Fac...: Stacie & Danielle - Devoted in Death 9 12 Oct 22, 2015 04:26AM
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Dead By Midnight: An I-Team Christmas (I-Team #7.5)
  • Pride and Modern Prejudice
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • A Matter of Time Book III (A Matter of Time #3)
  • Mad Lizard Mambo (Kai Gracen, #2)
  • The Collector
  • Guilty as Sin (Dead Wrong, #4)
  • Obsession (Southern Comfort, #5)
  • If I Should Die (Lucy Kincaid, #3)
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“Cold as a bitch’s tit.” “It’s ‘witch’s.’” “Why? Doesn’t matter,” Eve said quickly. “Neither way makes sense. If somebody’s a witch, why do they put up with cold tits? I’m a bitch, and twenty-four hours ago, my tits were plenty warm.” 13 likes
“A thin snow started to spit out of grumpy gray skies. Which meant, Eve knew, that at least fifty percent of the drivers currently on the road would lose a minimum of one-third of their intelligence quotient, any skill they’d previously held at operating a vehicle thereby turning what had been the standard annoying traffic into mayhem.” 4 likes