Start by marking “The Word Changers” as Want to Read:
The Word Changers

The Word Changers

Alternate cover edition for ASIN B00K5HZ4M2.

Escaping from the turmoil of her home, fifteen-year-old Posy finds herself at her usual haunt ... the library. When she chooses an unfamiliar book from the shelf, she does not devour its words as she usually does...

Its words devour her.

Posy is pulled into the pages of a fairy tale in turmoil. Characters whisper of rebellion again
Published by Conquest Publishers (first published January 1st 2014)

Start your review of The Word Changers
Gillian Bronte Adams
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was late at night when I turned the final page of the The Word Changers, slid the book back into place on my shelf, and breathed a mighty contended sigh. Reading this book was like drinking a cup of hot chocolate on a cool evening. It hits just the right spot and leaves you feeling warm and at peace with the world and yourself. The Word Changers has a classic quality to it, with all the timelessness and agelessness of the Chronicles of Narnia - a comparison I don't make lightly. Definitely a ...more
Ashley Abbott
"But Posy wondered, suspected, even begun to believe, that sometimes reality was too solid and too hard, and that perhaps sometimes the clearest and straightest way to truth was through a fairytale."

This quote is a good example of what my opinions about life turned toward when reading this book.

The Word Changers is about a girl named Posy who gets placed in a book she was reading because a crucial character in the story (the princess) has run away, and she must be replaced because her presence
Shantelle
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Word Changers was totally unusual... Ashlee Willis’s ideas are superb! From the very first page, I was hooked! And once I switched from Kindle to paperback, I read the book almost straight through.

Mysterious and delightful, The Word Changers pulled me into a book inside a book. Posy is a fifteen-year-old girl struggling with the pain of life and the hurt inside her own family. She stumbles into a grand adventure while at the town library... and well... finds a path to love and forgiveness
H.S.J. Williams
They say don't judge a book by its front cover. Well...I did...*shamed face* Oh, this cover was sweet and pretty. But it didn't quite look like the sort of fantasy I was interested in, plus modern-day kids dropping into another world isn't my fantasy of choice.

But I was wrong on both accounts. This is a fantastic book!

Deborah O'Carroll
I love allegorical stories when they're done right, and The Word Changers definitely was. Fantasy and fairytales can present truths in a way that nothing else can. They help me think of things in a new light, and in fact seem to grow my faith more than any other type of fiction.

The allegory in this delightful tale was brought about by the main defining fact of the story: that it takes place in a book within a book. The characters know they are in a book, but many of them have stopped believing i
Allison Ruvidich
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Also, I stole the idea for the introduction from Hannah Williams. Thanks/sorry, Hannah!)

I dislike the saying don’t judge a book by its cover, because, in a strictly literary sense, I do. When I picked up The Word Changers, I saw a pretty cover that lacked polish. And that’s exactly what I read.

Posy has a problem. It’s not that her parents are getting divorced. It’s not that she somehow finds herself in a boo
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Age Appropriate For: 13 and up for romance, mildly scary scenes, and mild violence
Best for Ages: 13 - 18

I have to say, I didn’t have high expectations for this book, but I came away very impressed. This wasn’t one of those books that I picked up because of the cool concept, read it, and then wished the author had spent more time developing in. Willis came up with an imaginative concept and developed it to its full potential.
To me the whole book had a Narnia feel to it. The story was very differe
Serethiel Sequoia

A shining beginning, a darling romance, and a bittersweet ending. I lost a bit of connection with the characters somewhere in the middle, but I still hopelessly adore the worlds Ashlee Willis creates!
Andi
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A note: You don't know true anguish and anger until you have written an entire review for an hour, only to fail to copy and paste it and not have it save correctly. So. Here we go again.

"I suppose a cruel thing may be done, and its doer never knows the many wrongs and pains that happen because of it, falling one on the other, toppling like an avalanche on a mountainside."

I have a confession: Even after Ashely reassured me that this book was good, I still harbored skepticism. I've been badly sc
H.S.J. Williams
Ashlee writes with a clear, confident style both refreshing and engaging to pull you into her story as much as the character is pulled into a book. While I've read some fantasy where the plot is lost on the adventure as the characters encounter all kinds of fantastic beings, Ashlee guided the reader along quite skillfully, losing me only once (probably because I was reading too fast in desperation to discover the fate of certain centaurs).

While this world and idea may be akin to the Chronicles o
Hannah
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically what would happen if Narnia turned into a romance story. I would recommend it to anyone who loves the Narnia world but wishes there was just a bit more romance in it.
The best points: 1: An easy to read narrative, flowing and smooth, with brief descriptions of sets that nonetheless create instant mental pictures.
2: A general lack of gore and tacky violence.
3: A surprisingly interesting love story. The romance element served to mirror the romantic fantasies of teenage girl
J.L. Mbewe
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story, it kept me turning pages, and I loved the creativity of it. But trying to hold the concept of Posy in the book dealing with the Plot, Author, Kingdom, and Characters and all them hoping for a reader to come by and read it was something I had to really work at keeping the suspension of disbelief. That said, if I didn’t try to understand it too much, it worked fine. The concept, I’ve not seen done before, and I’m curious as to the story behind the story, and if the author has ...more
Rebekah Gyger
Word Changers deals with an interesting premise, that characters live in there books and have their own lives, but come to reenact the Plot of there book when a reader appears. Posy is just one such reader, but this time she enters the story as well.

I enjoyed Ashlee's premise and the allegory she portrays. It is fascinating that the characters might be living in their books (and makes me afraid to read any of my favorites where the characters dies for fear of hurting the characters ).

Yet there
Lara Mi

“I suppose I will have to find a way to save your life, then, if such an embrace is to be the reward for it.”

With her parents in constant argument, Posy tries to spend most of her time at the library - away from home. At a moment of particular anger and wishing herself away, she finds herself waking in the mysterious book she had just taken from the shelf. As the plot becomes the reality around her, she learns that the story's princess has run away and that Posy is the intended stand-in. It d
Kelsey Bryant
“Sometimes reality was too solid and too hard, and … perhaps the clearest and straightest way to truth was through a fairytale.”

The Word Changers delved into a subject I’ve pondered for all my mature reading years … the Christian allegory of authors and their characters. Ashlee Willis did a thorough job of exploring the way stories reflect life and the relationship between God and ourselves. But it was more than thorough—it was engaging and enjoyable! I really liked the writing—it had a lyrical
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I found the idea of the book fascinating. A young girl who has turmoil in her life is suddenly in the book she is reading. Now, I will admit that has always been a fantasy of mine in one level or another. I have been pulled into a story and wished I could be a part of the fictitious world.

For Posy, her book world is more of a nightmare. She is to replace a Princess who has run away from the story. The plot rules most of the characters. Every time a reader opens the pages of the book, they act ou
Brent King
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where better to learn the great themes of life and soul than in a story? We try to learn them through the story we write in the book of our life. Yet often they become clearer to us as we experience them vicariously through a book on our shelf. But what if our participation in this book went beyond our imagination? What if we could enter its pages, breath its air, and change its Plot?

With strong metaphors, Ashlee Willis takes us into such an adventure. Life is a story, and Ashlee’s—no, Posy’s—st
Laura Grace
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing fantasy novel! It was so good I just have to say that again...this was such an amazing fantasy novel!

I instantly bonded with Posy in the beginning and could very easily relate to the many pains in her heart! It was so easy for me to get caught up in her story and boy did I get caught up in it! There was so much action, drama, romance, and of course magic!

I really enjoyed the adventures and how the story played out (even if I had tears rolling down my face by the end)! It
JoJo Sutis
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing, awesome, fun story!!!
I absolutely love what the author has done with this book- I feel like it takes the reading experience to a whole new level!
What would happen if you could step inside your favorite book?
What if you were mistaken for one of the characters?
How awesome would that be?!?
Well, that’s exactly what happens to main character Posey.
I could not stop reading, I had to find out what would happen to these amazing characters.
Any fan of fantasy fiction will love The Word Ch
Chelsea Johnson
A world she had only ever dreamed about would open her eyes to a world she never knew.

What an amazing book! Ashlee does a great job of writing and pulling you into the story with Posy. I didn't get lost once (not that I usually do, but I will admit to getting myself turned around occasionally).

The idea of how characters never really die, but are bound to the Plot and come back every time someone opens the book was intriguing. This interaction between Posy and Caris got me thinking:
"In my
Morgan
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended for: Teens

The Word Changers was an interesting fantasy story with an intriguing premise: People in books are real. Posy, a girl from the real world, replaces the missing princess Evanthe in the Plot of a book, but she finds that much more than a missing princess is afoot. Posy and Evanthe's brother Kyran go on a quest to find Evanthe, and discover what has really happened to the Plot along the way. I did enjoy this book, but unfortunately it did not jump onto my extensive favorites l
Faye
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Posey’s world is falling apart, her parents are separating, and there is nothing she can do about it. So she escapes into the pages of a book finding herself lost in the plot in a way that she never could have ever imagined! Pulled into the story’s plot by Falak, an owl who is not all that he seems, Posey is forced to take on the role of the princess, dutifully playing her role. But all is far from right in the kingdom, and some have seen fit to take its plot into their own hands, can Posey and
Grace Mullins
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story follows the adventure of Posy, an inwardly hurting girl who finds herself in a fairy tale book. I've thought of how cool a story where someone is transported into a book world would be (especially to us bookworms), so what fun to find that a book was releasing with this idea.

My over all opinion of "The Word Changers" is that it is a sweet fantasy read with some good underlying messages of forgiveness and not blaming others for everything wrong in your life. I loved how it had quite a
Grace Mullins

Hayden

The plot was original and fascinating. I don’t think I’ve ever read a book quite like it, and I really enjoyed it. This book had many intriguing characters- ones whose goals and ambitions were often a mystery. Who was trustworthy, and who wasn’t? I’ve read other books like this where that plot device was annoying, but it was handled well here and I really liked it.

The only thing I didn’t care for was the romance, since it involved a few kisses and seemed almost out of place in regards to everyth
Savannah Kundo
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of "The Word Changers" from GoodReads First Reads.

Have you ever wanted to enter into the world of your favorite book? That's exactly what happens to Posy in "The Word Changers," though she quickly discovers that she's entered into more of a nightmare world that her greatest fantasy. When she arrives in The Plot, she finds that she is to replace the runaway princess - who does not have the ideal role in The Plot. Soon, Posy is taken on a dangerous, yet exciting, journey through
Kirsten
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-world

This book is right up there with some of the top fantasy, and it's a must-read for anyone who has ever called himself a fan of Narnia. Posy hates her life, with her parents always bickering, always fighting. One night when her own temper gets the better of her, she flees to a nearby library, intending to get lost in a book to hide from her problems for a while. And boy, does she get lost IN a book.

When she wakes up, she's surrounded by a whole bunch of peo
Jansina
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The description of the story had me intrigued; the first chapter had me hooked. Posy finds herself drawn into a book - literally. For a book lover like myself, this is the perfect plot.

Following that, throughout the book there are references to words, pages, margins, and other book-related terms. The word play around these is delightful. The author has a writing style that is creative and flows naturally. It never felt either too simple or too complex.

There were very a few grammar mistakes in t
Elisabeth
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was expecting a enchanted, slightly dark fairy tale, but oh was I wrong.

So, the story is about fifteen year old Posy who escapes to the library to get a break from her fighting parents. She finds a strange book that she's never seen before and when she opens it she gets sucked into the story. Everything becomes black, and she gets a feeling like she's falling. When she wakes up she is lying in a bed, surrounded by unfamiliar people calling her princess . Posy soon learns that she has been br
Camilla Cruz
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I read a book, I first have to consider if it is striking me as true to the category in which it is in. Word Changers certainly is a Young Adult Christian Fantasy, and it is an asset to the genre. It's an allegory of faith, hope, redemption, forgiveness, and love, amongst other things. Certain parts felt like parables. While it is a Christian Fantasy, there was no "preachiness" (I say that for the benefit of those who feel that is important.). There is a Narnia-like element to it, but i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 20, 2015 10:20AM
Christian Teen Books: Giveaway for Christian Teen Fantasy 1 16 Jun 11, 2014 04:55PM

• The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Babe in Boyland
  • Losing It (Losing It, #1)
  • 버림 받은 황비 1 (The Abandoned Empress, Season 1)
  • Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons #1)
  • The Unfairfolk (Valenbound, #1)
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Harleen (2019) #1
  • Harleen (2019) #3
  • Harleen (2019) #2
  • Snow, Glass, Apples [Chapbook]
  • To Your Eternity, tome 1 (To Your Eternity, #1)
  • 進撃の巨人 32 [Shingeki no Kyojin 32] (Attack on Titan, #32)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 3 (The Search, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 2 (The Search, #2)
  • The Power of Five (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #1)
  • Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters, #1)
Ashlee Willis is the author of fantasy for young adults. While most of her days are balanced between writing, reading and being a stay-at-home mom, she also finds time to enjoy forest rambles, crocheting, and playing the piano. She lives in the heart of Missouri with her family.