Start by marking “Jenny Pox (The Paranormals #1)” as Want to Read:
Jenny Pox (The Paranormals #1)

Jenny Pox

(The Paranormals #1)

Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town.

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for
Published July 24th 2010 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Jenny Pox, please sign up.
Tina L Seale
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tina L Seale I don't think so. If it was supposed to be, I didn't get it. I honestly thought that the book was too far out there with little background or follow…moreI don't think so. If it was supposed to be, I didn't get it. I honestly thought that the book was too far out there with little background or follow up to be considered serious enough to be a motive novel.(less)

Start your review of Jenny Pox (The Paranormals #1)
Amanda Hocking
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like Stephen King's "Carrie" meets Alyson Noel's "Evermore," but it's not like that either, and it's much better than "Evermore." I'd even go so far as to say it's better than "Carrie." It's Mean Girls, and YA, and romance, but it's much more than the sum of it's parts. It tells a story that feels real and honest without falling into the cliches of any of the genres. It does the things you WISH would happen in other books.

The point is: You should read this book.
Giselle
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
When I first came upon this book months ago, I thought it was a paranormal romance based on the few reviews I had read. It's only recently that I was told it's actually more horror, comparable to Carrie, and aimed at 18+. This brought it right up my reading list because I love horror novels, Carrie was one of my favorite movies, and this premise screams at me (really!)! As promised, Jenny Pox is horrifically awesome with a deadly touch, a sweet romance, and a brilliantly wicked villain!
Raeleen Lemay
Okay, this book was SO CRAZY. It kept me interested all the way through, and I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it.
It was such a creepy, sexy, haunting, thrilling, romantic, emotional book, and I can't wait to read the sequel (even though I don't know what it could possibly be about, so many insane things happened in this book, I don't know what more there could be! I guess I'll have to wait and see)

This book made me do all sorts of crazy things:

This book made me do all sorts of crazy things:

and by the end I was like
Katrina Passick Lumsden
What's this? A man writing paranormal YA better than a woman can? I'm shocked. Shocked!

I really hope you can pick up on my sarcasm, because I'm attempting to lay it on pretty thick.

Let's see, did this book have all the requirements for paranormal YA?

Paranormal phenomena - check

Outcast protagonist - check

Hunky romantic interest - check

Vile villain - check

Looks like J.L. Bryan covered all the bases. To sweeten the deal, however, he threw in a few more bas
Katie(babs)
Nov 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gag-worthy-book
Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan is a self-published young adult that has a great deal of buzz behind it, so much so that Amanda Hocking has praised the book. I also have seen many positive reviews of this book on the blogs I visit. With that in mind, I purchased a copy of Jenny Pox, expecting to read greatness. Unfortunately disappointing isn’t a good enough word to describe Jenny Pox.

Jenny Pox suffers from an incredible concept that cannot deliver, as well as a major lack of depth, one-dimensional cha
Darkfallen
I have been wanting to read this series for a while. Everyone around me loved it...couldn't get enough of it. So when I started this I was beyond excited to sink my teeth into this book!

Unfortunately...it kind of stopped there. I have to say, for me, this is really more of a 2.5 stars. It's better than a 2, but not quite a 3. And if I am being perfectly honest with you, there were times when I just didn't want to finish.

So let me tell you why...

I think this bo
Wendy Darling
Fantastic opening, fast-paced story...but gets a little nuts at towards the end. The sex is probably a little more explicit than it needs to be for YA, too.
Rhiannon Frater
Where do I start? I guess with "WOW!!!"

I'm wasn't too sure what to expect from this book. It was highly recommended by the Bookish Brunette Blog and I was intrigued by the premise. There is a glut of books out there with teenagers with special powers, so I was a little leery. But this novel is something altogether different and refreshing.

I would not define it as a young adult novel, or paranormal romance in any way. I wouldn't call it Urban Fantasy either. Honestly, it reminded me
Stacey Benefiel
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All sorts of people recommended this book to me-friends, writers, book bloggers, people on Goodreads. I have no idea what took me so long to finally get to it, because it is just the kind of book I like. I couldn't read Jenny Pox fast enough!
This book is a lot of different things, not just another YA paranormal/supernatural romance. There are plenty of grusome images and vivid descriptions to delight a horror lover, plenty of high school antics and cliqueishness for people who like contemporary
Karina Halle
That was fucking ridiculous.

Yet, I still liked it.

*Thoughts to come at a normal hour*

12 hours later....

OK. It's kind of a normal hour.

So let's start out by saying I liked this book. I'd actually give the first half of it 5 stars and the second half 2 stars...evens out to be about 3.5 stars. Or something. Still too early for math.

But, you know, that's quite a large jump from 5 stars to 2. So let me explain what the hell happe
Tina
Aug 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
1.5 stars. The first chapter should have been the whole book, left it as an AMAZING creepy little short story. I would have given it 5 stars then, but no...it just kept going on and on and on and on and...well you get the idea. It starts with a weird little girl who kills anyone she touches. Then we meet the class cool girl, who cliche enough is a complete B, who likes to be in charge of everything and everyone. Oh ya and the cool girl she likes to drug people without them knowing and start orgi ...more
Jessica
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 24-ebooks
Ugh, I really wish I had the time for writing a proper review for this but I just don’t. So the following will have to do:

This was so different from everything I’ve read recently. Interesting concept, some cute romance and surprising twists and turns. Whenever I thought I had it figured out the story would go in an entirely different direction and I would have never in a million years guessed how everything played out in the end.

I definitely recommend this, though I want
Ari
Mar 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, abandoned

The beginning was absolutely fantastic with the girl realizing for the very first time how deadly her touch was, but after that it didn't hold my attention for too long (even though I read 50% of it). I have many complains (plot, characters, dialog, etc), but I am not in the mood to talk about them.

If you have it on your to-read list, you should give it a try, it might work for you better :)

PS: the ebook might still be $0.00 on Amazon.

Image source

____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr |Amazon.
Image
Crystal Starr Light
Jenny Morton cannot touch anyone - because the moment she does, the other person breaks out in lesions. Her birth caused the death of her mother; an incident at elementary school scars her forever as "Jenny Pox".

Fast forward to high school. Jenny just tries to make it through a school day and avoid nemesis, Ashleigh Gooding. But she can't keep her eyes off Ashleigh's hot boyfriend, Seth. And then through tragic circumstances, Jenny and Seth meet...

I liked bits and pieces
Heidi
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Four stars: An anxiety packed book that culminates with a terrifying end!

Jenny is an unusual girl. No one can touch her skin or they will become infected with a deadly pox and die if they are overly exposed. Her mother died during her birth and her father does the best he can, but never being able to touch someone without fear is a lonely existence. Jenny somehow manages to muster through school by ducking her head and remaining aloof, until an incident on the playground in first gr
Sally Slater
Jun 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was in search of some lighter fare in the young adult genre, which was probably mistake #1. I had seen Jenny Pox pop up in the same lists as some of my favorite YA books like the Hunger Games and the Mortal Instruments series.

I finished this book...and all I have to say is, well, gross.

It's hard to enjoy a book when every single character is unsympathetic. Jenny suffers from what I like to call Twilight-syndrome - she's a female with no spine and z
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
When I was a teenager, I constantly wanted to go to the R rated horror movies. My friends and I would sneak in and loved every minute of it. Usually the movie consisted of teenagers dealing with some evil entity/ creature/evil mad man, lots of gratuitous sex, and drugs (usually lots of alcohol or weed). We would cover our eyes at the scary part, act as if we were not staring at the sex parts, and were overly curious on the drug parts. This book could easily be made into one of the horror movies ...more
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Overall Score: 4 Stars

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS REVIEW MAY INCLUDE SOME SPOILERS

“Will you keep me safe?” she whispered.
”I promise.”
”Then I’ll go anywhere with you.”

photo tumblr_mjsgpvWgnS1rlct59o1_500_zps0ccb6974.gif

SUMMARY. Jenny Morton has lived her whole life in fear of hurting someone. If someone touches her, they will have the “Jenny Pox”, a term that kids her age made up in kindergarten where she had her first “accident”. Jenny Pox is like a plague that sprSPOILERS
“Will
Joy
Nov 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, awful on so many levels. Utterly unbelievable plot points (even after adjusting for the fact this is paranormal fiction). The author drew antagonists that were stereotypical cartoon caricatures of Christians (and I couldn't help but wonder if I saw little bias seeping through). But the worst of all was all the adult content masquerading as a YA book.

It's always a shame when a book with such a great premise winds up being a dud, but take my word for it, the best part of this nove
Tamara Rose Blodgett
I was expecting less-than-nothing from this book and got a book that distracted me from doing my chores! This is definitely a mature young adult read and I recommend it to the 16+ crowd. Parents that are concerned with realistic but mature themes should read this book first or disallow younger teens from reading it. That said, it is not a gratuitous read and was well done and insightful from the perspective of the teenage mind.

The story centers around Jenny and grabs a reader from page one. We
Loretta
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know after you hear about some one rave & rave & rave about how good a book is, and you just feel like you HAVE to buy it. That is what happened with me. I heard it was horrific yet beautiful. So I added it to my October TBR. After I started this book I found it very hard to stop reading it. I literally made the *robot voice* on the Kindle read to me. So I could walk around with it all day. Really.
I had never heard of Jenny Pox before. But, I tell you what I will never forget her. I
Lori
I picked this up after reading Tamara Rose Blodgett's fantastic review of the book. So glad I did. It was fabulous. From the first to last page I was sucked into Jenny's story.
Jenny is inflicted with a curse that causes people to break out into the plague whenever she touches them. I would love to say that she tries to lead a "normal" life but she doesn't. How could she even attempt to. She goes on because she knows her dad (her only family) needs her. Not only can she never touch anyone,
Squee
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story started out promising, but somewhere along the line it devolved into a weird combination of standard YA contrived romance and an attempt to gross out the reader.

Jenny begins as a sympathetic character, and her characterization and backstory are genuinely touching at times. In addition to her inability to touch others without hurting or killing them, she's the poor girl in a town where most of the people seem fairly well-off. Her father is a drunk and her mother, predictably, is dead.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I can't even rate this book because I am still up in arms about it. Some parts I liked and some...some were just a little too strange for me. Overall I just don't think this was a book for me. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.
Robert Duperre
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.9 out of 5

The teen years. A time of awkwardness and confusion, of inner turmoil and the search for one’s self. Throw into this the pressures of school, the chaos of personal and family relations, and the conflicting messages when discovering of one’s own sexuality, and the stress multiplies. This is hard enough on a normal child, but imagine being someone who has a problem – a real problem such as a deformity, mental handicap, or social deficiency. Then the stress involved
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
When i saw how many good reviews Jenny Pox had, i thought it would be a good idea to try it as well. Unfortunately, it was not what i was expecting.

The writing style us simple but still alive, and every scene you read is close to you and you can feel the scenes and the atmosphere like you are other. The main story idea with the girl who couldn't touch anyone and the various secrets powers that exist while it's ordinary, it flows in different and really original way which make t
Purr More
Do you hear that slurping sound? That's me…getting sucked into this book.

The three main characters in this story are Jenny, Seth, and Ashleigh. Each wields a different supernatural power. At first they don't know this about each other but soon they discover each other's secret. Jenny and Seth just want a normal life, but Ashleigh has other plans. Their lives are intertwined more than they realize and eventually Ashleigh's evil intentions are discovered. Jenny and Seth are the only on
Danny
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june-2011
*takes a deep breath* What a ride!!!!! For the last 10 % I was holding my breath and ... was trying to shield my eyes from what I'm reading there. You know, how you do it with a horror movie.. duh! But the end was totally worth it.. The ending was phenomenal and a perfect round up and left me breath much easier...

Poor Jenny cannot touch you without killing you. That's horrible and makes her a very lonely girl that just would love to have a little bit of normal. But nothing is normal in her life
Aryn
Jenny Morton is for all the world a normal girl. Except she's not, not even a little bit. Jenny can't ever touch another person or living creature without killing them of disease. The book opens on a very young Jenny having the "don't touch anyone" rule being reiterated by her father. She had picked up a snake that had erupted in disease and died on contact. A fairly minor incident with kids on the playground leading in only a breakout of some sort of pox, but no death leads us to where the bulk of the b ...more
Kogiopsis
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The fact of the matter is that I'm just not the intended audience for this book. I realized this on the first page - I have a deep-seated dislike of plague plots, and plague-related body horror gets into my head and gives me nightmares more than any other kind of horror (and I'm not a horror fan, anyway). But the good reviews convinced me to give it a chance, and I have to admit that for all of that, it wasn't... without merit. The thing is, it just wasn't gonna be a book I could enjoy.

• Hollowland (The Hollows, #1)
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • Releasing The Wolf (Eye Of The Storm, #1)
  • Can't Touch This (Can't Touch This, #1)
  • The Accidental Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #1)
  • Windigo Soul
  • SEVEN-X
  • Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (The Order of the Stick, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • The Wolf's Hour
  • Mindspeak (Mindspeak, #1)
  • Tim
  • Setting Free the Bears
  • A Creed for the Third Millennium
  • Evergreen
  • Sunrise at Butterfly Cove (Butterfly Cove #1)
  • Lady Q: The Rise and Fall of a Latin Queen
  • Once a King, Always a King: The Unmaking of a Latin King
J.L. Bryan studied English literature at the University of Georgia and at Oxford, with a focus on English Renaissance and Romantic literature. He also studied screenwriting at UCLA. He lives in the metro Atlanta sprawl with his wife Christina, where he spends most of his day serving the toddler and animal community inside his house. He is the author of the Paranormals series and the Songs of Magic ...more

The Paranormals (4 books)
  • Tommy Nightmare (The Paranormals, #2)
  • Alexander Death (The Paranormals, #3)
  • Jenny Plague-Bringer (The Paranormals, #4)
“Let’s try it,” he said.
“This is serious,” she said. “You could get hurt. Or die.”
“But if we can touch, that means we can make out, right?” he asked.
“Maybe.”
“You want me to risk my life for maybe?” He grinned.”
22 likes
“Will you keep me safe?” she whispered.
”I promise.”
”Then I’ll go anywhere with you.”
12 likes