Start by marking “Wild Pitch (Homeruns #1)” as Want to Read:
Wild Pitch (Homeruns #1)

Wild Pitch

(Homeruns #1)

There’s never been any question in Sean Tucker’s mind that he’d do whatever it took to make it to the major leagues and be one of the best pitchers of his time. The day he acknowledged to himself that he was gay was also the day he vowed to stay in the closet in order to chase his dreams. The problem is, he never counted on Mason Atley.

Sean showed rookie short stop Mason A
Published June 11th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Wild Pitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Pitch

Gigi
I LOVE sports themed books. Baseball, Hockey, Football, Ice Skating, Basketball, just about all of them. I also try to read as many of them as I can. This one by Sloan Johnson looked like a winner to me! Excellent blurb, gorgeous cover, great early reviews. But I had a really big problem with the way women were portrayed in this book. Enough of a problem that it seriously hampered my enjoyment of it. The best way to express how badly women were treated is to post some of my status updates for yo ...more
Shile
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, mm, mm-romance, mm-sports

Just an Okay read nothing special.

Maria
Aug 21, 2016 marked it as dnf
DNFed at 39%.

I am done with this for two reasons.

1) The inner musings of the MCs are so contradictory, they make my head spin in a really bad way. Mix in a healthy dose of biphobia and ridiculous notions about what qualifies as sex/cheating, wild boners when someone touches a KNEE, and my complete inability to connect to either of the characters, and you have this mess.

2) The misogyny is EXTREME, even for MM. We have the stereotypical bitch-ex, "slutty waitresses in skimpy dresses", and not one
Bev

OK, I made an error in reading this one...as you can tell by the fact that it's taken me 6 weeks to finish. I couldn't connect with the characters and didn't feel that they connected either. 3 stars only. Sorry.
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

This was my second read by this author and first mm read from her. I went into the book with no expectations or judgments just kindly reading the story. Got excited since it was based in Chicago half of the time. I liked the beginning alot, I really enjoy the friends to lovers trope. I thought Sean expressing his love in the beginning in his thoughts were funny. Being in love with your best friend for years is hard when you have to be around that person. I liked Mason alot.

I had a cou
Mandapanda
Jun 03, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: various-romance
DNF. Only got to about 15% and had to put it down. The relationship didn't ring true and I couldn't see things improving.
Mercedes
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance

Rounded up because the sequel sounds promising and I'm looking forward to it.

The biggest negative for this story (IMO) is that there is no buildup whatsoever to the MCs relationship. We are told in the first 5% of the story that these guys were roommates for a year. Have been best friends for 7 years and are now both single again. So it starts with them already attracted to each other and from that is a jump to bed and exchanging ILYs in a matter of days. The buildup and sexual tension
Rachel
Sloan Johnson is giving away the first three books in this series ("Wild Pitch," "Curve Ball," and "Triple Play") for FREE via Instafreebie (4/14/17): http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=a...
T
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm, not-a-fan
Not much to say except it really was difficult to stay engaged. The relationship between the two men was very confusing and the content was just bland. Didn't get a chance to finish and don't know if I will
Sloan Johnson
May 30, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
"The characters were loving, and passionate. The chemistry and sexual tension was off the charts. The sex was hot, and I loved the storyline."

Amazon US: http://bit.ly/wildpitchamzn
BN: http://bit.ly/wildpitchbn
Kobo: http://bit.ly/wildpitchkobo
Scribd: http://bit.ly/wildpitchscribd
ARe: http://bit.ly/wildpitchare
A Girl Has No Name
2.5 stars!

An entertaining read, maybe a little bit too much drama at some points.
I enjoyed the sports setting and I might have a look at the next installment in the series; the side characters of this story are having some potential to get their own! :)
Line
Mar 01, 2019 marked it as probably-not-but-freebie  ·  review of another edition
Freebie at the zon.com right now: https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Pitch-Hom...
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

When several people who I know and trust tell me I need to read a book, I listen. The people who told me I needed to read Sloan Johnson's Wild Pitch know that I love M/M and baseball romances and this blended those two things really well. There were a lot of memorable moments in this story; some were good, some were bad and some were downright joyful but in the end this story is about two friends who have put their desires aside for years fin
Heather Leigh
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Wild Pitch from the talented Sloan Johnson.

As a HUGE baseball fan (Go Sox!), I really enjoyed the sports elements in Wild Pitch. The game wasn't shoved into the background as 'just a job'. There was enough to make it a real part of Sean and Mason's lives. And it is. To dedicate your life to being a professional athlete is a huge commitment.

The love story, on the other hand, is the main focus. Sean and Mason are friends from the moment they room together in t
Jaime
So, I liked the story but wish the narrator would have put a little "ummmppphh" behind the narration. It wasn't quite monotone - but just a step above. It was however, a good story and I enjoyed watching/listening to these two MC find their way from best friends to lovers, in the world of Major League Baseball. Will be moving on to the second Audiobook and see if anything improves.
Toni FGMAMTC
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, sports-romance
I like sports romance so I was very interested to check this one out. I could not get into the storyline at all. I kept reading, but it never got better for me. I don't how to explain what I didn't like. All I can think is meh. The majority of people do like this book; so, it's probably just not my kind of story.
K
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know how I have managed to not read any books from this author, but now that I know how incredible her writing is, I’ll be rectifying that, immediately. Wild Pitch, by Sloan Johnson, is an incredible story of friendship, love, overcoming fears, and perseverance.

You are a walking wet dream, do you know that?” he praised, trailing kisses over the path his hand had just taken.
— Sean

description

I was moved several times over the course of reading this book. Ms. Johnson has taken current affairs about
Rebecca
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The ability to be one’s true self without secrets is a luxury some people don’t have, especially those in a masculine game like Major League Baseball. So, many players conceal things about themselves that might force them to be seen in a different way – one such concealment being their sexuality.

Both Sean Tucker and Mason Atley have wanted to be major league ball players their entire lives, and they reached their goal, forging amazing careers, but the one aspect of their lives that has never fel
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received for an honest review

There are plenty of friends-to-lovers books out there, heck I have read so many of them in my time - but this is my first m/m friends to lovers romance.

And I have to say, Sloan Johnson has hit a home run with this one!

Sean and Mason have been friends for years, but they have been keeping secrets from each other. When these secrets start to come out, things could change for the better or worse for them both.

I adored Sean and Mason. I had a smile on my face most th
Valerie Degeorge
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First I will start off by saying that I absolutely loved this book, it was filled with so much love and emotion and watching these two struggle to find the true happiness they so deserved.

Sean Tucker is the pitcher for the Mavericks. His life is pure baseball , he lives and breaths the sport and does everything to hide his true sexuality in fear of ruining his career.
Sean does not do relationships never has but when his fellow teammate / friend with benefits is transferred to another team it l
Deanna Against Censorship
I love all things baseball, the game, the stats, the history, movies and books about and the NY Yankees and the Washington Nationals. (The Yankees are my heart though). I like that this book tried to give the reader the experience and stress of playing big league baseball.

Friends, ex-roommates and veteran players for competing teams. Time is putting its stress on an already stressful profession that is always complicated by the ever present press. Sean has loved Mason forever. Mason knows Sean
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
5 out of the park stars!!

*copy provided by author/publisher in exchange for an honest review*

I. Couldn't. Put. It. Down!!
OMG! I loved Sean and Mason. I wanted to get the conclusion, but I didn't want it to end. I love when you can emotionally connect with the characters. I felt Sean and Mason. I felt the love and passion they shared. Sloan is an amazing writer. She knows how to weave a story. I went into this apprehensive. After "Godsend" I was wondering if this was going to be another heartbr
Rachael Orman
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, love-story
4.5 Stars

This was such a sweet story. A bit of gay for you too.

I enjoyed this story, but for me it was too sweet. There was a few twists and turns and things the men had to get over, but nothing that was too unexpected for me or turbulent.

The writing was really excellent though so although there wasn't a whole lot of suspense, I found myself quickly reading the book.

I really did love Sean and the battles he went through for/with Mason. He was my favorite character and I really related to him.
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
3.5 stars!! I thoroughly enjoyed this M/M romance from Sloan Johnson. Two gay baseball players was a big thing and with one struggling with being bi and going through a divorce and the other being in the closet for fear of the repercussions you knew that this was going to be a hard ride for both of them. Also, throw in the fact that the two men in question were best friends. We therefore have lots of elements to tick the boxes, M/M and friends to lovers. My only little criticism which is persona ...more
Lila Hunter
An interesting take on a traditional troupe. I got a little confused switching from the prologue to the first chapter, but it wasn't nothing I couldn't solve re-reading couple of paragraphs. I think the use of the players last names is what threw me off.

It was simple and mostly everyone was accepting of the MCs; the opposition happened in the background. The main characters were interesting, but I wanted a little more from them. I don't think their feelings for each other showed how long they w
Jen
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. I love sports themed books and this one excited me. I instantly loved Sean and grew to love Mason. Mason and Sean are the perfect example of friendships turned into more. You see how their love develops and grows. They are a sweet and funny couple. They story line was great and really kept me reading. I read this is one sitting. Books like this are few and far between. Great story, chemistry between the characters and an Epilogue that will have you we ...more
Tracy Perry
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome read, I really enjoyed it!! The book is about two men (best friends)in the closet b/c of their careers( in baseball on opposite teams) & hiding something from each other each other for 7yrs. It was such a heartwarming read & a smile was placed on my face most of the time reading it. I shed tears of sadness & tears of joy. I really just love Mason & Sean! Thanks for sharing their story Sloan & looking forward to reading Curve Ball!
Michelle
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars I actually really enjoyed this. No, it wasn't an earth shattering new plot or anything but I felt like the characters were really grounded and even though I'm not a baseball fan (football is my sport), I enjoyed being in that world. I can't wait to read the next book and to find out more about Jason!
BR11
This book had the potential to be a great fit for me. GYF, cherry popping, best friends to lovers trope... but the writing ruined it for me. Editing errors, too much freaking baseball details that were completely unnecessary, writing too disperse, the MCs were two dimensional... I ended up skipping complete paragraphs.
Didn't care much for it.
Jilrene ♥
Jun 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
blech
  • Frozen Hearts
  • Playing for Keeps (Glasgow Lads, #1)
  • The Windup (The Rainbow League, #1)
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Offside (Offside, #1)
  • Pinned (SSU Boys, #1)
  • Hiding in Plain Sight (Safe Harbor, #2)
  • Naked Hero - The Journey Away (Naked Hero, #1)
  • Clinch (Low Blow, #1)
  • Sidelined (Southern Scrimmage #2)
  • Pull Me Under
  • Fin & Matt
  • Rescued by Love
  • When It's Right (Mile High Romance #1)
  • The Next Competitor
  • Exposed
  • Quarterback Sneak
  • Fall For Me (The Rock Gods, #1)
Sloan Johnson is a big city girl trapped in a country girl’s body. While she longs for the hustle and bustle of New York City or Las Vegas, she hasn’t yet figured out how to sit on the deck with her morning coffee, watching the deer and wild turkeys in the fields while surrounded by concrete and glass.

When she was three, her parents received their first call from the principal asking them to pick

Homeruns (7 books)
  • Curve Ball (Homeruns #2)
  • Triple Play (Homeruns, #3)
  • Sweet Spot (Homeruns, #4)
  • Change Up (Homeruns #5)
  • Line Drive (Homeruns, #6)
  • Grand Slam: A Homeruns Holiday - Part One