Start by marking “The Herbal Kitchen: Cooking with Fragrance and Flavor” as Want to Read:
The Herbal Kitchen: Cooking with Fragrance and Flavor

The Herbal Kitchen: Cooking with Fragrance and Flavor

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The secret to transforming easy dishes into extraordinary meals? Fresh herbs. In The Herbal Kitchen, IACP award-winning cookbook author and acclaimed Herbfarm Restaurant chef Jerry Traunfeld presents simple dishes using herbs straight from the market, windowsill, or garden.

Until recently, the fresh herbs available in supermarkets were limited to parsley and maybe dill. Tod
Published November 1st 2005 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about The Herbal Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Herbal Kitchen

Barrett
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: eaters, kitchen-dwellers, trent reznor who needs to relax sometimes with a lavender mai tai
Shelves: broadacrelibrary
Every page has something of value, wisdom, and beauty. Wherever herbs are in your life -- in jars in your cupboard, in your kitchen garden or allotment, or at your local farmer's market -- you will find recipes for every season and palate here. The full-page full-color photographs sprawl across this book, and pump up the price to 35 bucks. You will become lost in the fuzzy, herbal depth-of-field wonderlands of food in "The Herbal Kitchen". Still, besides these cosmetics, the author has all the c ...more
El
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book delivers what it aims - it's packed full of herbal recipes (with many flavor combinations I'd never heard of and never would have imagined but which look good). The one drawback is that many of these recipes call for ingredients that are more expensive and may need to be purchased at a specialty store. Some call for more advanced tools that the average cook would have. And all (or almost all) were time intensive, but in a good way. The book definitely got better as it went on. While I ...more
Gabbi
May 20, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is full of creative, modern recipes with strong seasonal and Pacific Northwest flair. That said, like some other reviewers have noted it is somewhat meat-heavy in its offerings. As someone who owns entire books just about herbs and spices, I also thought the individual herb profiles were too limited to really pull me in. Overall, I appreciate Traunfeld's inventiveness and focus but "The Herbal Kitchen" isn't the type of cookbook for me.
Deb
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous cookbook with wonderful inspiration and recipes for cooking from your herb garden. Sweet, savory, cocktails, etc.--it's all included with wonderful pictures. I made the Warm Lavender Almond Cakes which were delicious--like a French financier in texture with a solid but not overpowering lavender essence.

Here's a link to the recipe and pictures: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I have a fairly big herb garden and have been searching for cookbooks that showcase herbs. This cookbook has some interesting recipes but also useful information about growing herbs and the best varieties for flavorful cooking. I checked it out of the library but I think I will buy the book.
Karin
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everything I've tried is really easy (a handful of ingredients, not a lot of prep time) and really, really tasty. The recipes don't sound very exciting -- zucchini gratin, for one example, tomato bread for another -- but have ended up as immediate favorites once we've tasted them.
Heather
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, food
Some interesting recipes here. The recipe for refrigerator pickles with lemon verbena and mint is a definite keeper!
Stefan
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Some wonderful ideas in this book
Michelle
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-food
Growing herbs has been something that I've always done - I even had my own little herb garden growing up, thanks to the encouragement of my mom. These recipes are great!
Nancy