Start by marking “Old Earth” as Want to Read:
Old Earth

Old Earth

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  262 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
“An ambitious tale loaded with heaping doses of adrenalin, OLD EARTH sweeps the reader away with history, intrigue, espionage, engaging characters, and an intelligent conclusion – all elements of the perfect thriller!" —Steve Berry, NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author, THE LINCOLN MYTH

Gary Grossman, author of the wildly popular Executive series, returns with a high-octane th
Paperback
Published March 10th 2015 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about Old Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Earth

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Galileo Galilei makes in 1601 a discovery in the mountains of eastern Italy that could cause turmoil in the world; that could bring down governments and shatter people's faith in religions.

In the present time, a group of people on a university dig in Montana headed by paleontologist Quinn McCauley stumbles over a discovery that a secret group of people for over 400 years has done everything to keep a secret and the secret group will do anything to stop the discovery to be revealed. They stopped
Koeur
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok

Publisher: Diversion

Publishing Date: March 2015

ISBN: 9781626816336

Genre: Mystery/Thriller

Rating: 2.5/5

Publisher Description:In the summer of 1601, Galileo Galilei made a startling discovery in the mountains of Eastern Italy that, if made public, could shatter faith in religion, bring down governments and lead to worldwide turmoil.

Review: For some reason the characters were rendered a little flat for me. Not sure if it was all the hot Phd.’s running around
Cherei
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Truly a mind boggling adventure! If you love thrillers.. 'Old Earth' by Gary Grossman is a MUST READ in 2015!

If you love adventure, dinosaur digs, and Vatican mysteries, secret organization, and Galileo! This book is for you! 'Old Earth' by Gary Grossman was very well written. I have never read the author before and was pleasantly surprised to find a new gem! The storyline is very believable. The characters are extremely well-developed and you come to root for the good guys and hope that the bad
AJ
Mar 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite
John Purvis
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Old Earth” was published in 2015 (March) and was written by Gary Grossman (http://www.garygrossman.com). This is Mr. Grossman’s fifth novel to be published.

I obtained a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I would categorize this novel as ‘R’ as there are instances of Violence and some Mature Language. This Thriller novel is set in contemporary times, but with flashbacks to the 1600’s.

Dr. Quinn McCauley is a Yale paleontologist who leads a small group of graduate
Leslie
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is like if Dan Brown and Michael Crichton collaborated on a story. You have 3 converging story lines; 2 set in modern day and one set in the 1600's.

Is there a secret society that controls the world? In Old Earth there is and they have fingers everywhere that can reach out and obscure the truth.

Like Dan Brown's protagonists everyone is a little to perfect and there are places where the story bogs down but overall it is an enjoyable and unique read.
Len
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh. Not good, not bad, just meh.
Elisa
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too slow to get started and way too much exposition for it to get going. I don't really need to know or care about the names of all the inquisitors who judged Galileo, and I certainly don't need several discussions about the age of the Earth (it's not something that affects my real life). It was still entertaining, even if the final secret was kind of lame.
Jeff Waters
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot of fun. If you like Dan Brown, you'll enjoy this. One of the characters even throws some humorous shade Brown's way. Ending was a little abrupt and not quite as spectacular as I would have liked, but still pretty good. Audio narration was phenomenal!
Jason O
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Old Earth was terrific. Not as deep as a Dan Brown novel, but more complex than a Steve Berry novel. Great story line and I love how the plot shifted between the Inquisition and Galileo and modern times. Recommended summer read.
Max
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This is not a bad book, but it is not good either... The best way to describe it is another version of "Italian Philosopher" Code book.
ItsAboutTheBook
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2shay
Review can be read at It's About The Book

Fascinating story. A little slow in places, but fascinating just the same. I particularly enjoyed the debates between Professor Quinn McCauley and the group of graduate students he had taken with him on the archeological dig in Montana about the age of Earth. Quinn insisted that, even though they were all scientists, they seriously discuss the arguments by the religious advocates of the biblical justifications for Young Earth. That was an engrossing,
Brandie
Old Earth by Gary Grossman is an interesting book.

The book flashes between Galileo Galilei (1600's) to a present day dinosaur dig in Montana.

Doctor Quinn McCauley is leading a dinosaur dig with top students from universities across the US. While there, Doctor Katrina Alpert has come to watch over him. McCauley, who doesn't have tenure yet, fears that this may be the beginning of the end of his career, but has no idea what really awaits him.

As they explore, they come across cave. In this cave i
Ruth Hill
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
This is a most unusual book, and it is a bit more difficult to review for that reason. It is not your typical historical fiction, thriller nor mystery. It fills that area of the market as unusual, and what you think you may be getting may not be quite what you thought. The premise behind this book was extremely interesting as I love history, especially history, and the author writes in a fairly easy-to-read style. All of these things were positives in regards to this particular book.

Unfortunatel
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
In the early 1600s Galileo's views that the earth revolved around the sun were challenged by astronomers. There was a formal inquisition and it was concluded that Galileo's arguments could only be presented as conjecture. In what was considered an act of heresy, Galileo later published his views, which many believed to be an attack on Pope Urban VIII. Galileo was tried, and spent the remainder of his life under house arrest.

Fast forward to present day in Gary Grossman's geological thriller Old E
The Bookend Family
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Reviewing this book is sort of awkward for me. The reason for that is that Old Earth isn’t all one thing or all the other, what I mean by that is when I review a book, any one part is nearly as good or as bad as any other part. For instance the execution of the story may not be as good as the prose but everything’s pretty equal in quality.

Old Earth took that opinion and blew it into dust. Some elements of the book were amazing while others were completely terrible. The prose and storyline of thi
KevBayer
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
A fascinating yet frustrating book. Old Earth drew me in with a story of an archaeology dig in Montana that stumbles upon ...something. There's also an ancient conspiracy trying to cover up that discovery - anytime and anywhere it's discovered.

The story weaves between the modern day discovery, a similar discovery in the 1600's and the outcome of that, and the efforts of the third party to prevent the discovery from becoming public.

To talk any more about plot would probably give away too much. T
Gina Hott
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hott Review:

Something about this synopsis pulled me, even though it’s not my typical read. There is nothing light and fun about Old Earth. It’s an intriguing and thought provoking thriller that takes you on a journey through time.
I really enjoyed Old Earth but it took me a very long time to read it. This is not a book that can be read quickly or without thought – every conversation, every word has meaning – and, you need to savor every word.
My biggest concern before reading this was that the sci
Kelly Smith
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't read this book since I read "Executive Actions" by Gary Grossman immediately prior to "Old Earth" and was extremely underwhelmed with it. That book was riddled with typographical errors and, to me, fell apart about half way through. At the beginning of "Old Earth", the author alludes to a character from the "Executive" series. Again, I almost stopped reading it immediately as I felt that that series was not worth my time. I'm glad I continued on! (Still not sure why that characte ...more
Jim N
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a review of the audiobook version of Old Earth:

11. 5 hours into this 13 hour and 20 minute audiobook, I still found myself debating whether I wanted to listen to the last two hours. That probably tells you all you need to know abut Old Earth.

Narrator P.J. Ochlan does his utmost to make this poorly paced, second rate thriller compelling but unfortunately, Old Earth is a mish mash of cookie cutter characters and under-explored ideas. The narrative ping pongs between characters, scenes and
Samuel Fort
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Old Earth reminded me a lot of a Clive Cussler book. Almost everything that happens is unbelievable to some degree, but it’s a fun ride. You definitely don’t want to approach the book too seriously or you’ll find yourself rolling your eyes and smirking throughout. The plot, after all, is about a dinosaur fossil hunter who stumbles upon an ancient secret which a secret society will do anything to hide. It’s pop-fiction and I think the author did a pretty good job of setting things up and carrying ...more
Barbara
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fully the first quarter of Old Earth is taken to assemble the cast scattered over hundreds of years and thousands of miles. Once your head gets thoroughly muddled trying to keep everyone and every time in every locale straight, strap in for the roller coaster ride that begins. None of those characters or locales is a throwaway and eventually they all contribute to the thriller Grossman created. It has some of the feel of a DaVinci Code but don't let that lull you in to predicting the culprits or ...more
Barb
Feb 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
I have been told that you must bring a bit of yourself to books that you read and perhaps I didn't bring the right bit of myself to this book.
This is by far one of the dumbest books I have ever read. Whereas, I did enjoy the historical back ground and the intrigue was awesome, I felt as if the author could not bring himself or his readers to the point. The point being what had Quin and his group actually found in that cave? The contents of the cave were not something believable unless you think
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Historical-thriller cotton candy

This conspiracy thriller contains historical and theological/philosophical references and keeps you guessing right up until the last few pages, but you may as well be dining on spun sugar. The plot and references, combined with a merely serviceable writing style, makes you long for heartier fare. Without giving away the resolution, I found it preposterous. Chiefly, scientists/academicians would not change their minds about years and years of accumulated factual ev
Elisabeth Cole
May 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
This book could have been so much more than it turned out to be! It dragged on for what seemed like forever with pointless scenes that didn't add anything to the story. There were factual errors most people wouldn't notice that bugged me and I never did understand the significance of Galileo being in the story!!
DianeR
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nothing complex here, just a good story full of thought provoking concepts, a secret society, and page-turning action. What's in these caves making them so dangerous that the guardians kill to keep their secret?

The narrator of the audio edition is outstanding.
Cristiana
Oct 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got this on sale at audible, although Goodreads does not list an audio version of the book. I can't tell if it's the story or the narration, but it's just not drawing me in. The characters seem one dimensional and goofy.
nikkia neil
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to diversion books for this arc.
You really have to suspend reality for this book, but its a good fast read. I liked the history in it.
Eileen
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
another fun book by Gary Grossman. nicely done, sir.
T. Jackson
Not what I expected. Fantastic Story.
Loved the characters.
Kept me turning through the pages to see what happened next.

• Dystopia (Dystopia, #1)
  • Where We Stand (Life After War, #6)
  • Children of the Earth (End Times #2)
  • The Capture (The Prey, #2)
  • Zombies versus Aliens versus Vampires versus Dinosaurs
  • The Urban Legion
  • Melt
  • Black Opal (Peri Jean Mace #2)
  • Thy Kingdom Fall (After Eden #1)
  • Ascendancy (The Van Winkle Project, #2)
  • Wildcase (Rail Black, #2)
  • Surge (Wheezers #1)
  • The Cairo Effect (The Tempus Fugitives Trilogy, #2)
  • Indisputable Proof
  • How to be a Ghost (Libby Grace Mystery #1)
  • Waxing & Waning (Covenant College, #4)
  • Ryder: American Treasure (Ayesha Ryder #2)
  • Unsoul'd
Gary Grossman, author of EXECUTIVE ACTIONS, EXECUTIVE TREASON, and EXECUTIVE COMMAND, is a print and television journalist, an Emmy Award-winning network television producer, and a film and TV historian.

His career has included stints producing for NBC News, ABC, CBS NBC, Fox, PBS, and more than 27 cable networks.

Grossman is partner with Robb Weller in Weller/Grossman Productions, a prolific docu
More about Gary Grossman

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things