Start by marking “Anatomy of a Boyfriend (Anatomy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anatomy of a Boyfriend (Anatomy, #1)

Anatomy of a Boyfriend

(Anatomy #1)

In her last semester at a private school in Fort Myers, Florida, seventeen-year-old Dom finds her life transformed by her first boyfriend, Wes, a track star at the public school her best friend attends.
Published September 23rd 2008 by Ember (first published January 9th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy of a Boyfriend, please sign up.
Sarita Other than To Kill a Mockingbird, Forever and The Anatomy of a Boyfriend are my favorite books. The Anatomy of a Boyfriend's author dedicated it to…moreOther than To Kill a Mockingbird, Forever and The Anatomy of a Boyfriend are my favorite books. The Anatomy of a Boyfriend's author dedicated it to Forever's author so it’s clearly the inspiration but they’re also essentially different.

In Forever Michael and Katherine start dating the morning after they meet. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Wes and Dom are just friends for more than two months and a hundred pages. That is because in Forever Michael is open from the beginning that he likes Katherine. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Dom is always questioning and freaking out whether Wes likes her.

[!!SPOILERS ALERT!!] In Forever the plot ends when they’re on summer break. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend the characters go through freshman year of college.

In Forever Michael and Katherine skip prom. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend prom and prom night are humungous.

In Forever Michael already had a gf before Katherine. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Wes has never even kissed anyone before.

In Forever Michael and Katherine “click” sexually pretty early. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Wes and Dom don’t click that way and she learns she has to “rely on herself.”

In Forever Katherine chooses her college based on where Michael will be skiing. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend, Dom decides not to go to school near Wes even though they got into the same school. (That was my favorite part because even though she’s obsessed she still puts herself first.)

In Forever Katherine dumps Michael. In The Anatomy of a Boyfriend Wes dumps Dom.

And in Forever the breakup happens at the very end of the book’s plot. After The Anatomy of a Boyfriend dumping there are several chapters of her dealing with being heartbroken.

The biggest similarity is the chapter of emails when they get separated but IMHO considering the dedication that's meant to be a blatant homage. Mostly I loved how The Anatomy of a Boyfriend takes Dom to emotional places Katherine never goes in Forever because Katherine never questions what Michael thinks and never gets heartbroken (LUCKY!).

I really want to read another book about high school sweethearts dealing with post graduation distance dating but with using Snaphat and Instagram and FaceTime etc. and not just emailing and SMS. Does anyone know of one?(less)

Kristi
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been reviews for this book all over the place, well now it’s my turn! First off, I just want to express my concern that some readers have been surprised that there is sex in this book. Number one: It’s called “Anatomy of a Boyfriend,” number two: there is a naked man-doll on the cover, number three: are there still really people out there that think teens don’t have sex? Let me throw this little factoid at you, nearly half (46%) of all 15-19-year-olds in the United States have had sex ...more
Ifwhennotthen
Jul 07, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult
I don't understand why this book is lauded as either something that needs to be banned or as amazingly innovative. Yes, it's got some sex scenes, but they are so clinical they could be in a textbook. Also, guess what? There are sex scenes in Forever, which came out decades ago and is essentially the same book, only much better written.

More frustrating is the fact that despite claims that this book is open about female sexuality, it's nothing more than your typical "sex=bad!" novel because in the
Daisy
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was pretty short. It only took about an hour and a half - two hours to read. Also an easy read. I even read the q&a section at the end, which I never do. It's a story about falling in love when you're younger and how you perceive them at that time. It was interesting because I could really relate to a lot of it, both from his and her perspectives.

I found this book while looking for a digital copy of forever by Judy Blume which was fitting because the author was inspired by that boo
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
I read a lot of young adult books, and a lot of those books include sex. The important thing is that it's written well, it's not forced and clearly included to try and elicit a shocking reaction. Here, I felt like crude terms were included just for the sake of it.

Pushing that aside, the heroine was incredibly annoying. I'm quite surprised (view spoiler)She was clingy, immature and did nothing but whine.

If you want a book that portrays sex/
Lorie
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, realisticfiction
Alexandra
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anatomy of a Boyfriend was totally different than how I expected it would be. I loved it! The whimsical cover and description in the front flap kind of make it seem like a teeny bopper love story. But it's not. It's more about one girl's journey into young adulthood/sex/getting to know her body. It's sort of like a Judy Blume book (actually Judy Blume is one of the people to whom this book is dedicated) only more graphic, I think.

Yes, there's sex in this book. And blow jobs. And other sexual stu
Seana
Nov 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love romance, gossip, and a good book
In this book a girl named Dominique who has never kissed a guy before, finally meets the perfect guy. This book is hilarious! Throughout the story when someon is talking to her it shows what'd she like to say, and what she actually does say. I'll admitt that this book is a little mature, but It's worth the read, I couldn't put it down!! It only took me about 2-3 hours to read. :)
Raeleen Lemay
*3.5*

This book was a pretty good story about first love and the things that come with it, but the main character was super annoying and immature most of the time. I still recommend it though!
Karin
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ANATOMY OF A BOYFRIEND has been out for a long time and I've always been drawn to the cover, but never gotten around to reading it until now. Why did it take so long you might ask? Well, I just never got around to purchasing it, but since my ebook spurt lately it was only a click of a button away. I'm glad I finally read it.

This is the story of first love. First head-over-heels, can't-think-of-anything-but-him kind of love. Dominique (Dom) is a serious girl and dreams of becoming a doctor. She k
Elizabeth
I’m rating this book based on what I believe it deserves rather than how much I enjoyed it.

Anatomy of a Boyfriend is one of the most truthful and realistic portrayals of teenage romance I have read. As an adult, it’s frustrating to read about all the annoying angst and emotional trauma that the main character Dominique experiences, but at the same time I know it was once everything I felt. The clinginess, the obsession, the paralysing self-doubt when things go wrong, the flooding relief when the
Patricia
Dominique expirienced something that she thought would never even think about until she met Wes. She met this highschool senior at a trackmeet. She never got that physical with a guy until she started going out with Wes. Then she expiriences all these things, maybe it's her hormones or just the way Wes makes her feel. Her feelings for him became so intense. She expirienced her first love and all the problems that came with it. This takes place in Shorr Academy. The main charcters are Wes and Do ...more
Alexandra Reyes
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Leighton
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anatomy of a boyfriend was probably one of the funniest books ive read. It teaches you alot about life, and the challenges that come along with it. Dominique finds herself one of he only people in her high school that hasnt had a boyfriend yet. Its not that shes not pretty, or is a nerd, but she is just so shy she doesnt want anything to do with boys.

Alot of things changed when she met Wes, who happened to be one of the most popular kids in their highschool! She really doesnt know what to think
Raye of the Dead
Unfortunately I didn’t enjoy Anatomy of a Boyfriend. I read it within a few hours and it was just okay. I'm happy that I got it from the library instead of buying it.
Glass
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Review from Ja čitam, a ti?

I have to say a big thank you to Daria Snadowsky for sending me her Anatomy novels. Second, I owe the biggest apology to Daria Snadowsky for not reading her books three years ago when I saw Anatomy of a Boyfriend on my Goodreads "wall".

First thing that got my attention was the cover. That plastic Kan doll that most of us used to play with. Along with Barbie, of course. And then there are all those pointers like "clueless", "ready to run" or "terra incognita". Title A
Madison
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
Genre: Young Adult

Anatomy of a Boyfriend caught my attention right away. After reading the review I knew this book was going to be hard to put down.

In Daria Snadowskys’ Anatomy of a boyfriend, Dominique Baylor is a seventeen year old senior attending a private school. Dominique and her best friend Amy are nearly opposites. Amy is sexually active where as Dom is more shy and timid when it comes to guys; until she meets Wes. Wes is a senior at EFM High with Amy where Wes happens to be the school
Giselle
Warning: Sexual scenes

A very honest portrayal about a girl's first everything: first love, first boyfriend, first time. I found myself laughing at some of their thoughts and some of the dialogue. This is a cute and fun read and I loved how brutally honest it is. Never have I read about a book where the main story or plot is about sex. If I ever read this book as a teen I would have been majorly grateful. The relationship game is so evident in this one. Should I call him back? Do I look too cling
Arlenis
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Missy (Missy's Reads & Reviews)
I read a lot of reviews for this book - both good and bad, which is pretty much what intrigued me enough to pick it up and read it. For all intents and purposes, I can see exactly why the reviews are so split in half. I can see why people would really like it, where others wouldn't like it at all.

The funny thing about this is that a lot of older (read: not teen) readers comment about the graphic sex in this book and the fact that this is a YA book with the two main characters having sex. Really,
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
Nice Book? Yeah!
Do I regret reading it? Boy do i!

Geez, I was so bummed after completing the book, but then again i was pmsing. So i can't really differentiate now, can i?

First off, that it one heck of a catchy title.Good thinking there.

So starting with the story, the novel deals with Dominique Baylor and her relationship with her first ever boyfriend Wesley Gershwin.There isn't much else to describe about the plot but hey, i can tell about how she was pining for him for months, their sweet first
Krista Ashe
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenni Arndt
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-ebook
I was recommended this series by my good friend Christina of A Reader of Fictions so when I got a review request from the author I was quick to accept. Am I ever happy that I did! I ate this book up. I couldn’t put it down and ended up finishing it in a day. I think what I loved the most about it was how authentic it all felt. I loved the characterizations and how I found myself thinking “been there, girlfriend” so many times throughout.

Dominique starts out as an inexperienced high school senior
Fiona
I gained nothing from reading this book but dead brain cells and dark circles for staying up sooooooo late (can you believe it's actually 4am now!) finishing this crappy book.

All I learned about this book is sex, blow jobs, being fingered, masturbation, orgasm. Like literally. The main character's head all thinks about is sex, sex, and sex. She was immature, whiny, clingy, overreacting and lustful. No wonder, (view spoiler). Actually I really didn't car
Alexa
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alexa by: Kristi
Shelves: read-in-2011
(Review was originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

This book was definitely a funny read! I kept bursting into laughter while reading the story, as the events and things said really seemed amusing to me. Any book that makes me laugh usually gets instant plus points!

I like how this book explores the world of teenage relationships, especially when it comes to sex. I think the sexual relations between the main characters, Wes and Dom, were depicted quite realistically. They were actually very taste
Jason Kurtz
Daria Snadowsky set out to present a realistic portrayal of a young woman’s coming of age in Anatomy of a Boyfriend, and she succeeds. Dominique is a character that becomes interested in her own anatomy, after she meets Wes, who literally makes her heart throb. Snadowsky tackles every subject “in a responsible way” according to School Library Journal, from dental damns to orgasms from the female (and male) perspectives and de-mystifies many of the modern issues that Today’s teens are worrying ab ...more
Allison Renner
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I was blown away (in a good way) by the honesty in this book. It's a realistic account of a girl's first high school boyfriend, how that relationship progresses, and how it affects her family and friendships. The story follows Wes and Dom to different colleges and explores their long distance relationship. As I said, the honesty in this book really made it for me. I've never read a YA book that is so frank about masturbation, sexuality and the emotional entanglement of losing your virginity. My ...more
Damon Lee
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Dominique experienced something that she thought would’ve never happened until she met Wes. She met this high school senior at a track meet. She never got that physical with guys until she started going out with Wes. Suddenly she experiences all these feelings, maybe it's her hormones or just the way Wes makes her feel. Her feelings for him became so intense. She encounters her first love and all the problems that came with it.
A good book I must say, with authentic scenes that detail the myriad
Delia
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school girls
I can't stop thinking about this book. It's so honestly written about what happens when you enter a relationship, and even though it gets kind of sexual, it's never trashy. It shows all the good points and bad points of being sexually active, so it's not like a judgmental book, which I appreciated. And so funny and sad at the same time. A ten!
Katie
May 03, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: recommended if you enjoy books that focus more on the making out than the story line...
Shelves: readandenjoyedok
The storyline starts out promising...but as you move through part 1 and part 2 and onto part 3 the storyline seems to get lost in the making out, losing virginity, and attempting of oral sex...so the hormones seemed to take over the driving of the story...by part 4...I was kind of annoyed...but I finished it after blushing through most of it...best if read alone if you blush easily!
Kaylee
I was a little bored in parts but overall I did like it. I ended up scanning the parts I thought were boring. It was very realistic when it comes to sex and relationships and the ending was satisfying.
Book BFFs: Anatomy of Boyfriend/Single Girl (SPOILERS!) 12 21 Aug 14, 2013 02:25AM

• Lost It
  • One Night
  • Cubanita
  • Violet by Design (Violet, #2)
  • Prom Kings and Drama Queens
  • A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl
  • Giving Up the V
  • Good Girls
  • Beauty and the Bully
  • The Elite (The Elite, #1)
  • Do-Over
  • Sticky Fingers
  • Doing It
  • Anything But Ordinary
  • The Real Real
  • Louder Than Words
  • The Boyfriend Trick (First Kisses, #2)
  • The V Club
Daria Snadowsky is the author of the novels "Anatomy of a Boyfriend" and "Anatomy of a Single Girl." She also contributed the essay "To Sir Anthony, With Love," to the anthology "Crush: 26 Real-life Tales of First Love." Visit her at www.daria-snadowsky.com

Anatomy (2 books)
  • Anatomy of a Single Girl (Anatomy, #2)
deluded, irrational, inconsiderate, and a liar. And because I love you, you’re always going to haunt me.”
71 likes
“Please don’t hate you??!! I hate that I love you. Loving you made me waste a year of my life. Loving you made me be passionate about nothing but you. Loving you made me take risks I never would have otherwise. Loving you made me give it up to you. Loving you made me neglect my parents and Amy. Loving you made me not care that my grandma just died. Loving you made me turn out bitter and hopeless like her. Loving you made me hate myself for being dumped by you. Loving you made me deluded, irrational, inconsiderate, and a liar. And because I love you, you’re always going to haunt me.
I’ll never be able to have another birthday without wondering how you’re celebrating yours. I’ll never be able to think another guy is more handsome, talented, intelligent, or worth loving than you, despite all your faults (and there are many). I’ll never be able to check my e-mail without praying I’ll find a message from you with the subject line I love you, Dom—please come back to me. Meanwhile, every corner of this city is laced with memories of us together, and I’ll never be able to leave the house without hoping and dreading that I’ll run into you. You stole Fort Myers from me, and I lived here first, you fucking thief. You actually may be one of my last thoughts when I die.”
47 likes