Start by marking “Trinidad Noir” as Want to Read:
Trinidad Noir

Trinidad Noir

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Trinidad Noir reveals the Caribbean island’s darkness and its appeal with an unexpected and gratifying result.

Features brand-new stories by Robert Antoni, Elizabeth Nunez, Lawrence Scott, Ramabai Espinet, Shani Mootoo, Kevin Baldeosingh, Vahni Capildeo, Willi Chen, Lisa Allen-Agostini, Keith Jardim, Reena Andrea Manickchand, Tiphanie Yanique, and more.
Published August 1st 2008 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Trinidad Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trinidad Noir

BookOfCinz
I recently discovered the Noir series and I am hooked. Having read "Kingston Noir" I decided to read "Trinidad Noir".

I have been living in Trinidad and Tobago for the last four years and it is always so enlightening to read about a place you currently live or visited. I have to admit, while this is a Noir series I did find the book a little dark and I expected a more diverse look at Trinidad, notwithstanding, these are my standout stories:
Pot Luck
How to Make Photocopies in the Trinidad and Toba
Kim M-M
Oct 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, caribbean
Set mostly in Trinidad, it is a book of short stories written by many authors. There's a lot of different styles of writing and most are very good. I know it's a 'noir' book, but I was still a bit surprised to find a lot of the stories concerned drugs, murder, sexuality etc.
What I would suggest is, not to take these stories as a mirror of Trinidad, but a sample of the level of writing contained there. The introduction is excellent.
Afrijewel
Sep 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book will make you never want to visit Trinidad. Plain scandalous and I feel yukky. Three stories are worth while to read. Ones titled "Pot Luck", "The Rape" and "How to Make Photocopies in the TnT National Archives". Otherwise I would recommend passing on this. Just my honest and strong opionion.
Elevate Difference
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
When it comes to the Caribbean islands, many are inclined to see them only as a tropical hotspot for tourists. The people who actually live on those islands, which include nations like Trinidad, know better. The editors of Trinidad Noir make clear from the get-go that “Trinidad was founded on crime,” which has continued throughout the years with rampant prostitution, marijuana plantations, and corrupt police. For the sake of fiction writing, the violence, drug exchanges, and existential attitude ...more
Zola-kai Pollard
Jul 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
No...just no....as a Trinidadian this book, in my opinion lost it's way, some stories that could have been great accounts of Trinidad noir quickly became a joke, and not a funny one either. I can recommend a plethora of other books other than this if you want to get a feel of the diversity and complexity that is Trinidad. This book was an utter disappointment, I honestly couldn't make it to the end which is EXTREMELY rare for me, I stopped about 12 pages from the end, I just couldn't subject mys ...more
Karmen
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, library
This book of short stories set in Trinidad blew my mind away. Took me back to the classic noir genre as I've not experienced in a very long time.

Set both in pastoral and urban settings, the stories are unparalleled in their ability to shock, thrill and amuse in a black comedy way.

Very recommended.
Tasha
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm from Barbados, but this was the closest book to my neck of the woods :)
I love anthologies. Such a great way to introduce yourself to many novelists all at once.

Great stories!
Erin
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Some of the stories were really great, some were less stellar. Definitely glad I read this AFTER going to Tridad, though, or I would have had a much less optimistic view of the country....
Tuck
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
from akashic noir series. this one does not have your typical mystery stories, but they are noir. and you will never even get a grip on TnT from these stories. but the sex, man!
Woody Chandler
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was one of the few anthologies in this series that I was less than enraptured with. It took me over a week to read through the stories & for the most part, I did not find any of them to be particularly memorable. The worst of the lot was "How to Make Photocopies ..." by Robert Antoni. First, it was told in a local patois dialect which made it kind of tough. I have no problem with what I refer to as "Other Englishes & the Use of Dialect" as I wrote a Junior Seminar paper on the very ...more
Tuxlie
Dec 30, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: crime

From Publishers Weekly

The volumes in Akashic's locale-based noir anthology series set outside North America (Dublin Noir, etc.) offer more var

Kate
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
The authors pull from the darkness of abuse, gangs, sex and murder to create vibrant, living characters with incredibly memorable stories. Although I cannot speak for the authenticity of the worlds they create, these pieces offer up a great diversity of life in Trinidad, from the perspective of rich, poor, migrant and longtime resident- right down to the rhythm of dialect. They also shed light on the intricate racial relations of Trinidad's peoples.
Ellie
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: popsugar-2016
Alex
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked many of the stories, they were interseting and well written. They are dark and some of the stories are violent. Like Manila Noir, Trinidad Noir has a very liberal way of thinking when it comes to Noir. I understand that but just because a story is dark and twisted can it be called Noir. If the them had been dark, twisted, tragedies I would have given it four stars
Ten
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This read was fantastic! I believe it to be true to the nature of noir fiction, and an even easier read if you're a local, since you can definitely mentally chart the journeys of the characters from one area in TnT to the other. Each story definitely kept me on my toes!
If you're a fan of the genre, you should definitely give it a try.
Khrys
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the picturesque storytelling that paints many different portraits of my beloved island and its people.... Lovely!
Natalie Dorset
  • New Orleans Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics
  • Kansas City Noir
  • Miami Noir
Lisa Allen-Agostini is a poet, playwright, and fiction writer from Trinidad and Tobago. She is the author of a children's novel, The Chalice Project (forthcoming, 2008). An award-winning journalist, she is the Internet editor and a columnist with the Trinidad Guardian.
More about Lisa Allen-Agostini

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand