Start by marking “An Otter's Story” as Want to Read:
An Otter's Story

An Otter's Story

A true story of the lives of two otters, their parents and cubs. The story was written by a Minnesota naturalist in the hope that it would clear up some of the misunderstanding about these little animals
Published April 3rd 1953 by Viking Children's Books

Start your review of An Otter's Story
Varmint
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I was five or six years old, driving back from a long minnesota thanksgiving. At some point my dad realized we were near LaCrosse, and said "let's go see Emil". I have no idea how they knew each other, both were pilots, But my dad had no trouble showing up unannounced.

I remember a tall rail thin man with shock white hair. He had to be at least eighty then. He invited my folks in for a beer. I settled myself in for another long afternoon in a boring grownups house. Emil noticed my irritation,
Ava
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a good friend and fellow animal-lover, Ian, who I also borrowed the book from. It started out rather slow to be honest... Till about halfway when I caught myself saying, "One more chapter." over and over. I won't lie- it's rough. Very graphic and bloody, and if I had read this when I was eight or nine, I would have been in tears.
It's not a TRUE true story, but it's several true stories but one family of otters. So everything actually happened, just maybe not
Missdeparture
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I have been looking for this book for years! I read this in late elementary school and loved it so much that I have never forgotten it. I'm fairly certain I became a conservationist at an early age because you can't help but feel empathy for these otters after reading all of the harrowing things they have to go through just to stay alive. A really wonderful book. if you can find a copy, I highly recommend it.
Melissa
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was one of 3-4 books that I read and re-read as a child; the others were All Horses Go to Heaven, Black Beauty, and this book's companion volume, A Beaver's Story. Is it high literature? No, but it is a sweet, occasionally tragic story of an otter and his family. I borrowed this book repeatedly from the library. so I was intrigued how much I would remember from 40 odd years ago. I confess it was very little except for the trappings, deaths, and journeying through the the waters of Wisconsin ...more
Ana
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Gosh I read this book in grade school and have never forgotten it! Much of my childhood was spent devouring books about animals and this had to be one of my favorites. Such a great story about the trials and triumphs of a family of otters. I remember it was beautifully illustrated as well. I should re-read this one soon!
Trudy
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the very first book I remember reading in grade school. I was eternally endeared to the adorable, playful otter. One showed up when sister Jan and I were sitting by the river, on one of my sad days. I counted it as a good omen. Thank you for the otter spirit!
Maggie Cain
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mom is the librarian at a local grade school, and she purged this book from the collection due to lack of interest. What an amazing gift it was! It pains me that children don't want to read it anymore - this book is a treasure. I will make sure my kids read this, and the author's other books, about our regional wildlife.
Kris
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From third to fifth grade, I probably read this book half a dozen times. I just loved it,! I didn't know until now, though, that the stories were true! I'm so disappointed I can't add a physical copy to my library today.
Misha
Apr 11, 2010
William
Aug 26, 2009
Says only 0 pages 1 1 Dec 20, 2016 09:34PM

• Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4)
  • Make It Right: A Novella and Eight Stories
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • Deception Point
  • Digital Fortress
  • The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3)
  • Sherlock Unlocked: Little-known Facts About the World's Greatest Detective
  • The Happy Prince
  • Girl with a Pearl Earring
  • The Adventure of the Sinister Stranger: A Short Story (Tommy & Tuppence)
  • Rogue Lawyer (Rogue Lawyer, #1)
  • To Serve Man
  • Partners (Rogue Lawyer, #0.5)
Emil Liers, a noted Minnesota naturalist, raised otters for years and studied them extensively. He found they were easily tamed and made delightful pets, even coming to him when he whistled.

News & Interviews

Are you new to reading mysteries and thrillers and feeling overwhelmed by where to start? As all good detectives know, narrowing down the list ...