Start by marking “How to be a Mermaid (The Cotton Candy Quintet #1)” as Want to Read:
How to be a Mermaid (The Cotton Candy Quintet #1)

How to be a Mermaid

(The Cotton Candy Quintet #1)

All Tara ever wanted was to be a mermaid.

So she takes a year off between high school and college to don a fake tail and tour aquariums across the country in a professional mermaid troupe.

Everything's great until she meets a gorgeous real-life merman named Finn. Suddenly, what she thought was a dream turns out to be a nightmare -- she's turning into a mermaid herself. For
Published July 7th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about How to be a Mermaid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to be a Mermaid

Start your review of How to be a Mermaid (The Cotton Candy Quintet #1)
Sarah Theis
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks
I honestly chose this e-book because the cover was beautiful 😅 It was an interesting read and I really liked the story. I wish there was more to it though. Felt like it was lacking in details and back story. Felt like the story needed to be longer. But what I did like what there was.
Shelley
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t know what to expect when I got this book but it was about mermaids so I was excited. The story was unique and captivating. I couldn’t put it down once I started. Tara is a character I not only related to, with her fascination for mermaids and other sea creatures; I wished I could be her. What girl obsessed with the Little Mermaid doesn’t fantasize about becoming a mermaid every time they step into water? The author captured all the elements of a great story, mystery, action, romance, an ...more
Lola
I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review

How to be a Mermaid was exactly what I hoped and expected from the blurb. It follows Tara who is a professional mermaid, she dons a mermaid tail and does shows in aquariums. Then things change and she really does become a mermaid. I really liked getting a view of professional mermaiding, I didn't even knew this really existed before reading this book.

Tara is living her dream life, until her dream really becomes real. Her rea
Jessi
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it

"Anyone who ever bragged about being a good public speaker never had to do it in front of thirty kids and their parents while wearing a bikini top and a mermaid tail."

Mermaid books. They're tough. Honestly, I have yet to read one I become completely immersed in and this was no exception.

I felt like this short story was very similar to Disney's The Little Mermaid. The characters were flat and the love story, if you can call it that, was rushed. The plot was also quite thin. I actually be
Coco.V
Jul 28, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on iBooks today (7/28/2018)!💝
Tracy
I really enjoyed this story, for me it was like a reverse The Little Mermaid. If the human wanted to be a mermaid instead of the mermaid wanting to be human. It's a short, quick read and it definitely left me wanting more of the story. It's YA, but for me it was not an annoying YA book. It's a light and fluffy (like cotton candy) read. I would definitely like to read the next book in the series.
Brittany
I was looking for a series to fall in love with like the Goddess summoning series. I just did not love it. I just have noticed I don't love young adult books anymore. I just can't handle the immaturity anymore. Just an okay read for me.
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers

I really liked this story line. A mermaid who can both breath under water and walk on land was reminiscent of the movie Splash, a movie I loved as a kid…..with some big differences of course.

First, I loved how she was a mermaid performer. I think that was the coolest summer job. And how she empathized with the animals at the aquariums was pretty cool too. The romance was not a main focus in this book. It was a subtle side story and it wasn’t done very well
Megan Elizabeth
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: flops, 2015-reads
I got an ARC copy of this book at UtopYA con this year, and immediately loved the cover because it's so pretty and summery!

However, I was not a fan of the writing style and our main girl Tara.

Tara has a strange obsession with mermaids, and references mermaids and being a mermaid almost constantly before finding out they exist.

The insta-love she experiences in this book is a dosey, and I just don't understand her reactions to things. For instance, screaming when she realizes she's underwater. A
Doris
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
*I was provided an ARC for free in exchange for an honest review.

How to be a mermaid is one of those stories that will stick with you for a long time.
It's simple and yet complex all wrapped up in the prettiest pink and blue cover!
Tara is a young girl that has always had a dream to be a real mermaid, working in aquariums gives her that chance as close as life could allow. One day, she is taken off guard when she hears something that just isn't possible. Upon investigating it... a series of even
Tina
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I love all things mermaid and HTBAM did not disappoint. It flowed nicely and kept my interest all the way through. I could visualize the main character going through her adventures deep in the ocean with different species of fish following her. The idea of being able to communicate with these creatures and see the reality of what we as humans are doing to the oceans and it inhabitants really struck a cord with me.

Great job Erin Hayes and thank you for taking me on th
Annie
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review **

Tara was drawn to being a mermaid...she performed in a traveling group as one and really enjoyed it...but there was something else driving her....she believes she hears a little dolphin asking for help and checks it out one night...she stumbles across his rescue by a gorgeous man...and bumps her head and almost drowns...his nae is Finn and he saves her and she gets introduced into a world of real life mermaids!

Super Cute.
Summer
Available on Kindle Unlimited.

The cover art is beautiful and the summary was interesting enough, so I had high expectations. Sadly it did not live up to what I hoped it would be. Weak character development and a bunch of insta-love. Tara describes people as mermaids a little too much, it was almost hard to distinguish between the real mermaids and her fellow workers unless you were paying attention to the setting and whatnot.

The book itself was not horrible, it was an easy read. It was just not
Andrea
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Is such a sweet mature YA. It was entertaining and it got me hooked since the first chapter.
The characters were likable and funny. The writing style was so easy going and the plot was good.
I have to admit that the story was a little predictable but it was still great and funny. And so far it's the best mermaid story I have read so far.
Kristina
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-goal-40
I recieved this book with my July Lit-Cube box and although I would not have normally picked up this book, it was okay. It was cute. I'd recommend it for tweens/young teens or anyone with a fascination of mermaids. It will keep you busy for a day though if you're looking for some light reading. I suppose I am just into a different style of book. ...more
Emily Goodwin
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to read an ARC of this book before it came out. I love anything supernatural, and mermaids are no exception. This was a fun, lighthearted read that kept me flipping pages. I loved Tara & Finn! ...more
Patricia Marie
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got this ebook free. At first, I though it was just about a girl who works as a mermaid. I did not expect that it would turn out that she is a real mermaid. I liked how the story brought me to a different world. It’s a light read and very entertaining.
Lori
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Seriously if you're looking for a fun, quick read that keeps you turning pages then pick up How to be Mermaid. I enjoyed it a lot!
Lyn Mckenzie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in an anthology, being a huge fan of this authors work I was excited to read this book and I definitely was not disappointed.

I have always been of the mind that wild animals should not be kept in captivity and should have limited contact with them and I think this is one aspect of this book that I really enjoyed, you see it from the sea creatures point of view which was really refreshing. That s is a hook that is so unique, I have never read anything like this book and that's a
Jen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Not fitting in to particular situations has often been described as being a fish out of water, but in How To Be A Mermaid by Erin Hayes, that phrase takes on a new level of meaning.

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website: http://makinggoodstories.wordpress.com/.

Tara has always wanted to be a mermaid and despite her mother's protests has joined a troupe of professional performing mermaids, traveling the country as she takes a year before starting college. While preparing to perform
Lilith Bealove
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this book I was doing research on romance novels. Of course, research is still pleasurable if it includes reading fiction. The book has less romance in it than I anticipated, but enough to make me smile. The romance was innocent and the plot was griping. I could not put it down and finished the book within three hours.

There were a couple of sentences that pulled me from the story and it could use another once-over by a proofreader/editor. But these errors were far an
Marythios (AkaSusanne )
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tara is a professional mermaid who dons a mermaid tail and does shows in aquariums. Then things change and she really does become a mermaid. It was really interesting in getting a view of professional mermaiding. I think is would be a cool thing to do and honestly did not know this existed.

Tara is living her dream until her dream becomes real. Her reaction to finding out mermaids are real was so realistic, disbelief and then almost scared. Her world turns upside down and it takes her a while to
Teri
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
She wanted to be a mermaid since she was a child and against all of her family she goes to work at Neptunes. The story shows her going from being a self absorbed teen to one involved in a host of events and having to fight for the welfare of someone else and stop a war. Yup it's all peaches and roses watching her change (which is cool how it happens) and deal with the lies and secrets. This author reveals it all in pieces and let's us in on the secrets and fun. This is a light and fun read and g ...more
Kathy
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Tara has dreamed of being a mermaid her whole life. When an opportunity arises for her to be a mermaid and tour aquariums for a year, Tara convinces her mother to let her postpone college life. Tara is drawn to the sea life at the aquarium and distinctly hears a dolphin cry for help and for his mother. While trying to help Kai, a dolphin, she meets a gorgeous merman, Finn, and is faced with conflicting emotions and difficult decisions.
It was an enjoyable read as an escape from the heat in PA th
Mandy Parmenter
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tara has dreamed about being a mermaid since forever so takes a year out to wear a fake tail and be one in a professional group of performers. Then she meets a real one called Finn and starts to become a real one. When she tries to find him to stop the transformation she gets caught in the middle of a war between the land and sea - her only escape is to learn to be a real mermaid.

A charming story with a gentle love story mixed in with the being a mermaid transformation and the impending war. Wel
Steffie
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a fellow Mermaid (yes, I own my own tail and swim around). I was fascinated by this just to see how it would come out in a book. I was a bit annoyed by the whole “all I ever wanted to be was a mermaid” chat as a lot of girl’s who do the whole dressing up as a mermaid say that so the start for me was boring, but once the story started picking up it got a lot more interesting.

All the underwater parts were lovely, I really enjoyed that and I like how she took the fairy tale out of it and made i
Natalia Martinez
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ola Adamska
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2017
I really enjoyed this story. There was a piece of almost everything mermaids, love, magic, upcoming war, quest and learning how to be a good mermaid.
Characters and plot were good - interesting and showing like real. Plot was going smoothly but yet I would appriciate more of Oceanus and and court life in his Palace.
Tiffany L Poynter
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute story

Read the last book in this series first and am happy to go back to the beginning and see how all the characters got to be what they became. This story was a quick read but the author does a wonderful job of bringing you into the world of the characters. Can’t wait to get started in the 2nd one!!
Dee Bailey
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For all “Water Babies”!

This was a delightful fantasy read for all those who feel more at peace, more at home in the water. Especially those involved with synchronized swimming or marine biology. It also calls to those who simply wader the beaches and listen to the beautiful sound of the waves. For sailors, not for fishermen! For dreamers, not for hunters.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Wendy (Tales of the Wendy, #1)
  • Wolves and Roses (Fairy Tales of the Magicorum #1)
  • Lost Girl (The Neverwood Chronicles, #1)
  • I Wish (I Wish, #1)
  • Death's Queen (Death's Queen #1)
  • Siren's Lure (The Aermian Feuds #2.5)
  • Lost Voices (Lost Voices, #1)
  • Were We Belong (Shift Happens #5)
  • The Glass Mermaid (The Chancellor Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Land of the Midnight Sun (Emily Windsnap, #5)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Tides of Time (Emily Windsnap #9)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Pirate Prince (Emily Windsnap, #8)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Ship of Lost Souls (Emily Windsnap, #6)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Falls of Forgotten Island (Emily Windsnap #7)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Siren's Secret (Emily Windsnap, #4)
  • Perfekt Order (The Ære Saga, #1)
  • Menagerie
  • Ella, The Slayer (Serenity House, #1)
Sci-fi junkie, video game nerd, and wannabe manga artist Erin Hayes writes a lot of things. Sometimes she writes books.

She works as an advertising copywriter by day, and she's a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author by night. She has lived in New Zealand, Hawaii, Texas, Alabama, and now San Francisco with her husband, cat, and a growing collection of geek paraphernalia.

You can reach her

The Cotton Candy Quintet (6 books)
  • I'd Rather be a Witch (The Cotton Candy Quintet #2)
  • I Do Believe in Faeries (The Cotton Candy Quintet #3)
  • I'm Not Afraid of Wolves (The Cotton Candy Quintet #4)
  • How to Talk to Ghosts (The Cotton Candy Quintet #5)
  • I Wish I Weren't a Djinni (The Cotton Candy Quintet Book #0)