Start by marking “The Brand Flip: Why Customers Now Run Companies and How to Profit from It” as Want to Read:
The Brand Flip: Why Customers Now Run Companies and How to Profit from It

The Brand Flip: Why Customers Now Run Companies and How to Profit from It

Best-selling brand expert Marty Neumeier shows you how to make the leap from a company-driven past to the consumer-driven future. You'll learn how to flip your brand from offering products to offering meaning, from value protection to value creation, from cost-based pricing to relationship pricing, from market segments to brand tribes, and from customer satisfaction to cus ...more
Published August 9th 2015 by New Riders Publishing (first published July 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Brand Flip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brand Flip

Start your review of The Brand Flip: Why Customers Now Run Companies and How to Profit from It
Ahmad Badghaish
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love it. I’d recommend it to everyone who works on branding or strategies.
Tim Lapetino
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This latest book from Marty Neumeier brought me back almost 10 years ago, when I first read The Brand Gap. This effort is challenging in some of the same ways as Brad Gap was, and it nicely summarizes and builds on the main foundations of that book, and Zag.

While I don't agree with everything MN says about audience-centricity, I think it forces us as designers and strategists to confront some oft-held beliefs and also bucks against some of what has become common wisdom in our circles. I'd enume
Mariam Talakhadze
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, business
the best book on modern branding i have read so far

truly changes your thinking or focuses your efforts. this book made me realize what i want to be doing with my professional life.
Jon
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brand Flip is the second book of Marty Neumeier’s that I read (the first one was Brand Gap). It’s a really great read, and has inspired me to think more deeply about customer experience and brand touch-points (both those of my clients and my own).

Neumeier makes a lot of bold statements and the brevity of his writing doesn’t leave much room for nuances, which both is and isn’t a good thing:

On the one hand it makes you think harder to fill in the blanks and engage in more of an internal discussion
Hassan Tahir
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very insightful (and easy) read about how companies should focus on building customer relations by letting customers dictate the overall "branding" - all about how putting the customer first and integrating that into innovative product/service development is the future. All marketing enthusiasts should read this. I quite enjoyed the frameworks and flowcharts it provided and again, how easy it was to read.
Alessandro Perilli
Great hypothesis, poor proof

The ideas expressed at the beginning of the book are very interesting and relatable. The rest of the book, tho, doesn't support them in any way and the fictitious company used to provide a practical example is more an exercise in traditional branding than a proof of the hypothesis.
Sai Teja Pratap
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very short read. The book makes a convincing argument for "customers first" approach of building a sustainable company.

Most of what is written in the book is something we already know. The author did a good job organizing and articulating the content. This is something I might end up referring back to multiple times.
Ariana Detrez
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’ve read The Brand Gap then The Brand Flip is a great follow-up. I definitely suggest reading The Brand Gap first to have the foundation laid then The Brand Flip offers more updates information about how your target audience will see your brand and interact with it.
Corina
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brief summary of brands nowadays and of trends in marketing and UX design that have already emerged. Simply put, "Today's customers want more than features, more than benefits, and more than experiences. They want MEANING."
Melanie Ang
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that is short and concise enough to be read in about 2 hours or less but with lessons important enough that will carry you through your career/business. Treat it like a Bible, keep it by your side, write notes in it, refer to it often, its content deserves that.
Maria Mihaltan
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this after "The Brand Gap". It's interesting, it has some new ideas about the new companies and how to switch the established perspective on brand to a fresh, new one. It's a great read for the startup area.
Austėja Nedzveckaitė
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Voice of today
Nikki Milton
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, my favorite author when it comes to branding. His books are visual, insightful, thoughtful and help branding make sense.
Stef Hamerlinck
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Game-changing book on branding
Danielius
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very practical case study about branding. Makes you want (think you can) to build a brand out of anything
SJ Barakony
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 star read.

Excellent visionary content
Brittany
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
How I Came to Read This Book: I honestly can't remember what compelled me to look up Marty Neumeier recently, but I'd read three of his books a decade ago and somehow ended up discovering this one existed - and took it out from the library.

The Plot: Marty Neumeier's whiteboard on branding, The Brand Gap, and it's arguably superior followup Zag, really shook up the marketing industry. They were simple, high level, yet applicable ideas and concepts about the importance of branding. A decade later
Missy Reid
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read Neumeier's The Brand Gap, as well as Zag. I'm a fan. But for me, this book is just OK. He recycled too much content from his previous books and spent too much time making cases that other writers have already made. While I appreciate reinforcement, I'm not walking away from this book with much food for thought—no aha moments like I experienced with Zag. That's the bad news, but here's the good: It's a quick read with insightful information if you're from the camp that needs to be convi ...more
Toan To
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great new books, published in 2015 from brand expert Marty Neumeier, for those who want to update about Brand, Branding, or relating stuffs.

Why do I recommend this book? Because it didn't bore me, and a lively book is good, especially for renewing intelligence. It is written by theories, experience, sense of humor, reflections from old to new, etc..

Unless I am so high, trust me if you want, or at least try reading it once.
Amber Barber
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A short, quick book on the status of brand, marketing and sales - particularly with the rise of the conscious consumer and social media. Not a prescriptive book, but rather gets you thinking about new approaches (for selling, or for 'selling' yourself and your ideas internally). A great little book to refer back to repeatedly - and at less than 2 hours to read, easy!
Alison Raaen
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm working as a graphic designer at a marketing company and this book helps reframe traditional branding. Not only does the author lay out the historical development of branding, he explains the mechanisms that must change in order for brands to win and creates a fictional example of a company that successfully uses his flips. Interesting. Succinct. Useful.
Roberto
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Marty Neumeir does it again. Each successive book builds and expands concepts that are critical to business success today. Slim books that are an economy of words offer the reader clear and rich explanation of concepts. The Brand Flip is a must read if your company wants to be relevant beyond today. Ignore this book at your own peril.
Bart Kieffer
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brandflip een aanrader

Kort maar krachtige beschrijving hoe je je organisatie moet kantelen om klanten echt te bedienen. Inspirerend en ook wel confronterend als je met merken bezig bent.
Filip Ulík
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
brief, informative - readers of his previus books might feel its not much new here
but for me - perfect overview
Cara Grace

• The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • Creative Strategy and the Business of Design
  • Hustle Harder, Hustle Smarter
  • Bigger Than This: How to Turn Any Venture Into An Admired Brand
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits
  • This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
  • Ruskeat Tytöt: tunne-esseitä
  • Kirja tytölleni
  • Äitikortti: kirjoituksia lisääntymisestä
  • All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World
  • TED Talks: The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team
  • Understanding Design Thinking, Lean, and Agile
  • Hello, My Name Is Awesome: How to Create Brand Names That Stick
  • Difference: The one-page method for reimagining your business and reinventing your marketing
  • The Infinite Game

News & Interviews

“your mind, not in your hand. It should get you out from the covers and into your projects as fast as possible. And it should reveal its deeper wisdom reading” 1 likes
“We just go where we want to go, do what we want to do, and become who we want to become. We want to be unique, but we want to be unique in groups. We want to stand out, but we want to stand out together. In the age of easy group-forming, the basic unit of measurement is not the segment but the tribe.” 1 likes