Start by marking “Primed to Perform: How to Build the Highest Performing Cultures Through the Science of Total Motivation” as Want to Read:

The revolutionary book that teaches you how to use the cutting edge of human psychology to build high performing workplace cultures.

Too often, great cultures feel like magic. While most leaders believe culture is critical to success, few know how to build one, or sustain it over time.

What if you knew the science behind the magic—a science so predictive and powerful that
Published October 6th 2015 by Harper Business

To ask other readers questions about Primed to Perform, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primed to Perform

Start your review of Primed to Perform: How to Build the Highest Performing Cultures Through the Science of Total Motivation
Bjoern Rochel
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I really enjoyed the first third. The idea that adaptive performance is the defining trait of high performance teams resonates with me. I'm often coming back to the analogy of modern football squads that adapt to changing game situations and don't stick to fixed roles to describe my current teams setup. So reading that in a book made me pretty happy. I've also done the Tomo team survey with my team and the results indicate that we're in a pretty good state (team Tomo ended up at ~40).

The second
Drew Clancy
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. One of the very best I've read on building a great workplace culture. Much to think about and implement!
Cindy Leavitt
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite book on shaping culture. I have reread it three times in the past two months. I love the weaving of many classic business models into a theory of Total Motivation that is measurable.

In addition to great stories of high functioning teams, it offers data to correlate steps to take to amp up play, purpose and potential as motivators.

I am recommending this to anyone who is trying to create high functioning teams and organizations.

John Blackman
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I reserve the 5 star rating for books that change the way I think or expose me to a new way of doing things I didn't know before. This is one of those books. It is applied mostly to the world of business, but it can apply to anything you do and why you do it.

Primed to Perform tries to demystify culture and put it in a measurable structure so you can take action to steer your company culture for the highest performance possible. This is typically the realm of fuzzy 'feel good' consultants where
Dana Ashfield
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Doshi and McGregor put data and science behind something we've long known intuitively to be true...we perform at our very best when love the work we do.

Additionally, I find their work to be very insightful in highlighting the deep, potentially unconscious, blame bias we have towards others. In life - whether that be in a social, religious or work setting - our tendency is to blame people rather than external factors. This book identifies the myriad of external factors that impact people's
Delta
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I honestly didn't know if I would enjoy this book, but I found it fascinating. So many things you might consider "intuitive" are often not correct at all! There are plenty of examples and case studies to back up their assertions and everything is laid out to provide any company with the tools they need to perform and motivate better. Very interesting book!
Clifton
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I have read enough business/leadership books to pretty quickly divide them into tiers. You have the ones so insightful and readable that everyone (regardless of profession) should read them; let’s call that the Heath brothers tier. Then you have the highly readable books that mostly highlight research and stories from other people’s research; let’s call that the greatest hits tier. Then you have the books that should have just stayed HBR articles because all you have to do is read the first 50 ...more
Lukasz Nalepa
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. It's been a long time since I've a read book related to my field of interest, that I knew that I would be reading again soon. This one is already added to my "read again" and "read-best" shelves. And it's not like it's something completely new, or presents some groundbreaking point of view, that was new to me. To contrary, this book neatly weaves together great ideas and theories related to motivation, presenting it all in very edible form. True, that some things got renamed to be packed ...more
Andrew
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid book and ideas...

I really liked this book and the ideas presented. However, like most hooks in this vein, they are overly redundant, name dropping, and could be about 1/3 the length they are without losing anything

Still, I would recommend this to anyone in a corporate setting... Especially if culture is something your organization struggles with or is missing altogether.
Jacob O'Bryant
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the mental model of motivation this book gives in the first few chapters. It's a slightly different angle than what's given in Dan Pink's Drive. The book does a good job of delivering the material breadth-first: if it starts to get boring, you can stop reading it without any fear of missing something later on.
Darren Chuah
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Primed to perform totally crushed my imaginary leadership capabilities I thought I had and many pieces comes together over the last 10 years in corporate life understanding why I’m unhappy in some but ecstatic in other. It changed my mindset in dealing with management of people within 300 pages with complex scientific findings broken down into terms that people like me can understand.
Alexandra
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really liked this..aside from the missing pointers in the right direction.

It was a lot of "this thing doesn't work! watch out for it!...but we're not sure what exactly does. different strokes for different folks kinda thing"

tomo
cobra farms
weight regain from gold
indirect/ direct motivation
AJ
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a great 100 page book disguised as a mediocre 300 page book. I heard Lindsay give a talk on this book at the Slack Conference (the talk was great), and that basically covered the important points.
Jodi Wilson
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book for leaders who want to build team and corporate culture purposefully.
Julie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Perhaps a great book if this topic/concept is completely new to you.
Doug
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding business book. Walks the reader thru a very complex issue of improving employee performance but it has simplified the terminology. Highly recommend this book.
Chip
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the idea of TOMO, think theres a lot of good to learn from this book. It gets a little repetitive towards the end but overall a quick read work picking up.
Melissa Jill
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is the best I've read to date on managing and leading teams of people through creating a culture of high performance. I found it so intriguing and highly practical as well.

The premise is that WHY you work affects how WELL you work. Which is so obvious. But there are 6 main motivators for why we work -- 3 direct (good) and 3 indirect (not so good). And the authors detail a formula they have come up with to measure the total motivation (TOMO) of your team. I ran both of my teams through
Ko Matsuo
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book provides a useful framework to understand factors that influence work performance. Doshi and McGregor describe two types of performance: tactical and adaptive.

Tactical performance is measuring how closely an employee's actions match predetermined metrics or goals. For example, for a sales agent, the number of calls a day or minutes spent on calls would be tactical. Tactical performance is the life blood of an organization. On the positive side, it is used to measure productivity,
Dmytro
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is about corporate culture and getting the most out of your employees.
The key concept in the book is called "Total Motivation"

Workers who are more motivated perform better.
3 factors contribute to that:
1) Play - when you do something because you enjoy it
2) Purpose - when you do something because you enjoy the outcome
3) Potential - when you do something because you think it will take you somewhere important later on

3 factors that take away from Total Motivation:
1) Emotional Pressure
Ryan Daley
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Great principles and research - surprised it was as well received... But the principles in behavioral economics are 100% spot on - it should be read... It is much stronger of a read and much harder to apply.
Matt Cannon
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very good.

It should be read by leaders, parents and anyone who wants to have a better understanding of encouraging good performance.

It explains effective management and leadership in a great way.

I like how it breaks down most common management systems and discusses what works and doesn't work.

It also shows how some systems can work well in one place, but when you try to duplicate/copy them you may not get desirable or similar results. Also, how many copy the shell, or results
Katherine
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading quite a few management books lately (in my constant battle to learn how to lead an academic lab) and this one struck a chord with me. It combines and distills many of the principles and actions that I have encountered in other work into a cohesive and easy-to-remember framework. There are also clear action items that I can test out tomorrow and discuss with others in my organization. I'm considering having all my graduate students read this book next summer. Overall I was ...more
Ceil
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Outstanding synthesis of the last 20 years of thinking around what drives sustained excellence in organizations. I particularly like the introduction of chaos and complexity thinking as a way of seeing the differences between individual excellence and that magical greater-than-the-sum that happens when emergent organizations can function indepedent of the wrong kinds of constraints.
Deborah
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another of several great books in my leadership "curriculum". Every manager, executive, and employee could benefit from reading it. It is wonderful and encouraging to see all the great work being done in the social sciences as applied to business and organizational culture. A fascinating and useful work with lots of great case studies.
Ron Quartel
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, culture
I like the concepts of total motivation. Very well researched and thought out. However, I am not sure that the proposed mechanism for creating culture change would work. Perhaps this should have been two books? One about what makes for good culture and then another for a proposed mechanism for creating change toward a better business culture.
Anu Kannan
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
"A problem well defined is half solved", said Charles Lettering and this book helps you with precisely that - identifying and defining the problem.
Highly recommend this book to anyone struggling with things that seem "stuck".
The basic concepts and recommended solutions are applicable to work and personal life alike.
Jay Palat
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An interesting book on building culture. There is always a sense of the mystic when talking about building culture, but this book does a nice job of meshing anecdotes, research and case studies to demonstrate how cultures are developed and, more importantly improved.
Susan Walker
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book will give the reader ideas on how to achieve a high performance no matter what you do.
John Kroeker
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read of few of these types of "performance enhancing" books over the years, but this one tied together a number of those different theories for me. Well written with good examples.

• The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • The Infinite Game
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation, and GPS Technology
  • Before Night Falls
  • The Corporation: An Epic Story of the Cuban American Underworld
  • X-Factor by Peter David: The Complete Collection, Volume 1
  • One Today: A Poem for Barack Obama's Presidential Inauguration
  • 100 Suns
  • Martí's Song for Freedom / Martí y sus versos por la libertad
  • Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook: Strategies, Recipes, and Techniques of Classic Bistro Cooking
  • City of a Hundred Fires
  • Trained to Kill Castro: Confessions of a CIA Recruit
  • Telex from Cuba
  • Tribal Leadership: Leveraging Natural Groups to Build a Thriving Organization
Neel is the cofounder of Vega Factor and co-author of the NYT bestseller Primed to Perform, published in fall 2015 by HarperBusiness. Previously, Neel was a Partner at McKinsey & Company, founding member of an award-winning tech startup, and employee of several mega-institutions. He studied engineering at MIT, and received his MBA from Wharton. In his spare time, he’s an avid yet mediocre ...more
“Apple Stores produce more sales per square foot than any other retailer in the United States, including luxury stores like Tiffany.” 2 likes
“In God we trust, all others must bring data. Edwards Deming.” 0 likes