Start by marking “The House of Shattered Wings (Dominion of the Fallen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The House of Shattered Wings (Dominion of the Fallen, #1)

The House of Shattered Wings (Dominion of the Fallen #1)

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  2,564 Ratings  ·  622 Reviews
Multi-award winning author Aliette de Bodard, brings her story of the War in Heaven to Paris, igniting the City of Light in a fantasy of divine power and deep conspiracy…

In the late Twentieth Century, the streets of Paris are lined with haunted ruins. The Great Magicians’ War left a trail of devastation in its wake. The Grand Magasins have been reduced to piles of debris,
Published August 18th 2015 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about The House of Shattered Wings, please sign up.
Aliette Oui, publié par Outrefleuve sous le titre "La chute de la Maison aux Flèches d'Argent"
Luteran Not really ...some of the characters have relationships and connections but there is no focus in the story on love or relationships like you might…moreNot really ...some of the characters have relationships and connections but there is no focus in the story on love or relationships like you might find in a genre romance(less)

Carol.
Such a hard time getting started on this, partly me, partly Bodard. The graphic harvesting of the angels was so dark, unlikable, irredeemable. The fallen angel, the street urchins attempting to harvest body parts, and a dusty, deserted building with a heavily protected woman 'rescuing,' sort of, and the boy who just participated in chopping off her finger. Contrast with California Bones which uses an equally gruesome concept but has action and plotting to keep it moving. I see the echoes of de B ...more
Bradley
After a strong start, I was delighted to feel a little sympathy for the devil, revelling in a prodigal use of magic, the temptations and the promise of learning a new magical craft, but soon after, I wondered why we were stuck in the house...

And then the book turned into a murder mystery! Oh! Fallen angels and the Jade Emperor and even more all mixed into a multiple mythos pot and we've got rivalries between the houses becoming more and more prominent.

All well and good. Sort of.

The problem I ran
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/08/14/b...

t all begins with a fallen angel. The War in Heaven has come to Paris – or what’s left of it. The proud city is a ruin now, the once beautiful Seine clogged with the ashes of the dead and destroyed. House Silverspires, which used to be one of the most powerful Fallen factions, has followed Paris’ downfall into decay and disarray. It is thought that the House’s founder Morningstar has abandoned them, or he may be dead; ei
Althea Ann
Beautiful setting - an alternate-history Paris, devastated by wars both terrestrial and magical, decaying but still filled with terrible beauty. Gangs run the streets, and others cluster to Houses for protection - Houses run with ruthless amorality by fallen angels.
Biblical, Vietnamese, and Greek myths mix beautifully with original fantastic elements in this world.

Here, Philippe, a Vietnamese man brought to Paris as a conscripted soldier and then abandoned to the streets, is brought against his
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received an ARC through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

I liked the premise, I really did—not to mention that theme of the broken, rotting throne at night against the backdrop of a ruined Paris. There's something both sick and magical to such a city. The Seine river blackened and polluted by magic turned sour, horrors lurking in its waters. Gangs scrapping remnants in order to survive, Fallen angels being their favourite preys, preys that end stripped up of blood and bone and bas
Elizabeth
Synopsis
In a ruined Paris, fallen angels live together in rival Houses - each vying for power in the crumbling, poisonous city that was brought down by their own war. The fighting has given way to politics but the threat to life is still very real. Angels are hunted for their magical essence, the house leaders scheme and plot in elaborately polite power-games, and the dark deeds of the past will not lie quietly in their graves.

House Silverspires stands tremulous. Its magic is ailing; the founder
Stephanie
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-sf-for-adults
OK, so I read an early draft of this book a year or two ago and thought that it was awesome...but the final version is even So Much Better, which is saying a LOT!

I read this book from beginning to end on an overnight flight between the US and UK last night, with many, many distractions going on around me (i.e. I was traveling with my kids) - but I was absolutely gripped by this novel the whole way. It is such a beautiful, powerful, genuinely haunting fantasy. Set in a post-apocalyptic Paris rav
Arielle Walker
I really want to give this more stars. The world-building is gorgeous, the settings atmospheric and much of the writing is both and more, sentence by sentence at least. I loved the concepts, and the blend of multicultural mythology brought to life.

However the characters feel so... distant, and there is such an unemotional tone throughout that I struggled to care even slightly about their fate. I can barely remember most of the names, and there were some really lovely ones too. Much is made of a
Justine
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
3.5 stars rounded down.

Richly imagined and decadently written story of Fallen angel politics set in post-apocalyptic War era Paris. You don't get much more background than that as the characters work their way through the chaos that befalls them, but you don't really need it as it all unfolds very nicely using several different points of view.

There was a lot to like here, with an interesting premise and setting and some diverse characters, but I wanted a tiny bit more spark from them in order
TL
I received this via Goodreads FirstReads in exchange for an honorable review.
---

Loved the concept, but just couldn't get into the story:(

"It's not you book, it's me"
Acqua
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars.

The House of Shatterd Wings is a very interesting book. It’s a blend of post-apocalyptic urban fantasy, historical fiction and mystery, set in a Paris as fallen as the angels who inhabit it, and with some influences from Vietnamese mythology. I’ve never found anything similar, and I probably never will.

What drew me in right from the first chapter was the atmosphere. I usually don’t like post-apocalyptic settings – for many reasons, the main one being that I like pretty and don’t like
Alyssa

Summary (from Goodreads):

Lisa
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Full Review at Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/0...

4.5/5 stars

The House of Shattered wings is a fresh and intriguing book that has a fascinating take on fallen angels in 1930s Paris. Much like a mafia or gang style set up, their are rival houses of Fallen angels. The city is trying to recover from a magical war, it is suffering and scarred but recovering. It’s dark, broken and beautiful, much like the fallen angels themselves. I was quite taken by the prose and the world bu
Ken Liu
I blurbed this book:

Lyrical, sophisticated, lush, suspenseful—HOUSE OF SHATTERED WINGS brings to life an exciting world of deep magic and complex, layered characters infused with de Bodard's unique awareness of the flow of currents of power in a colonial landscape.
Sherwood Smith
ARC provided by NetGalley

Fallen angels have been a popular trope in the last few years, sometimes centered around various versions of Milton’s smilingly cruel and beautiful Lucifer, and so it is here. As Morningstar, he was the leader of House Silverspires, one of a number of Houses in an alternate Paris nearly destroyed by a magical battle called the Great War. Then twenty years ago he vanished, and his student Selene took over the House, whose fortunes have been falling ever since.

The book is
Matthew
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant new entry.. I really enjoyed this book. Full review to come.
Melliane
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My ENglish review

I have not read books about angels for a long time, so when I saw the release of this book, I was immediately curious about the story. The whole book set in France was also intriguing, especially when it remains the same throughout the novel. This is not something to which I am accustomed to, besides books from French authors but I was intrigued by the idea.

I spoke about angels, but actually we don’t follow them but the fallen angels from paradise and wh
Nikki
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s hard to pull together my feelings and thoughts on this book, for some reason. I remember not being sure about the first 100 pages — particularly with the brutal butchery at the beginning, and I’m being pretty literal about the butchery — but then I got really into it, ended up reading obliviously until my dinner was stone cold, and finished it off in one great gulp. And promptly started recommending it to people. And yet right now, it’s hard to put my finger on it: part of it is the Paris o ...more
Niall Alexander
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Despite having written a trilogy of full-on, fifteenth-century Aztec fantasy, Aliette de Bodard is most known for her short stories — especially 'Immersion', which swept the speculative awards scene in 2013 — and as big a fan of such fiction as I am, the form seems to to be going nowhere slowly, at least in terms of its readership.

Not so the genre novel. The House of Shattered Wings, then, is just the thing: a suspenseful supernatural narrative focusing on fallen angels as they fight for power i
Jason
5 Stars

One of the very best reads of 2015!!!!

“All you hold dear will be shattered; all that you built will fall into dust; all that you gathered will be borne away by the storm . . .”

House of Shattered Wings was one of my most anticipated reads for 2015. I was grabbed first by the beautiful cover, second by my love for the author, and finally by the awesome story line.
Aliette de Bodard not only met my high expectations with this book, she totally exceeded it. Might earn my favorite read of the
Didi Chanoch
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The House of Shattered Wings is deeply dark, and deeply beautiful.

I won't talk about plot, as publication date is months away, but I will say this: This is a book about responsibility, anger, justice, colonialism, power and power structures. It is about intent, and its relation to effect. It is about darkness within and without. It is about depression and self worth.

It is about all of those things, but it is also about beauty and fallen angels in a long past Paris that never was.

Aliette de Bo
Diana
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discarded-shelf
Really... what the fucking fuck is this shit? Sorry for all the strong words but... I really have NO IDEA whatsoever what I was reading apart from a dhiarrea of words. Lots of words to explain lots of nothings and no movings forwards. So fallen angels. Wars on heavens. People who steal angels parts and blood for drugs and to do magics with it. And murders. And a guy who is human but no and is sth more but also all of before but no and something more but no but yes but no but yes but who knows bu ...more
Amanda
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
3.5 stars. Terrific audio narration a. The characters fell a bit flat for me but overall an enjoyable listen.
Robyn
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I really enjoyed this story of Fallen angels, humans, and other divine personages among the ruins of an alternate-world Paris. Would have loved more world-building details, though.
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
The story opens up with a fallen angel being dissected by scavengers. The land is in ruins as a result of the great war, and angel essence is a much sought after drug. Selene, the head of House Silverspires, saves Isabelle and one of the scavengers, Phillipe. Selene can tell there is something different about Phillipe and intends to keep a close eye on him.

Since the war, the houses have never been too friendly, and when events bring the houses to a conference at House of Silverspires, all hell b
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) via (Penguin First Reads) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

In the late Twentieth Century, the streets of Paris are lined with haunted ruins. The Great Magicians’ War left a trail of devastation in its wake. Stores have been reduced to piles of debris, Notre-Dame is a burnt-out shell of its former self, and the Seine
Allison
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GAH. I don't even know where to begin. What IS THIS BOOK? Part mystery, part alternate history, part urban fantasy, part gorgeous mythic fantasy. As in her Obsidian & Blood series, de Bodard manages to steep a solid mystery in layers of myth and magic. Here, she pulls out all the stops: Christian mythology (FALLEN ANGELS), Vietnamese folklore (DRAGONS), and even some GREEK MYTHOLOGY (no spoilers, teehee).

Every character was so well-drawn, and even when I didn't like them (or almost hated th
Kate Elliott
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intense, beautiful, brutal journey written with an eye for the stunning, vivid detail and the cruel demands of duty, loyalty, and leadership. Its portrait of a ruined Paris ruled by fallen angels is one I won’t soon forget.
Gawelleb
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coup de coeur pour l'atmosphère, l'intrigue, pour les personnages ...pour tout. Merci Pando ❤

Dit: toujours aussi bien!! Et j'avais oublié la fin et qu'elle fin!!!!
Sachin Dev
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-good-reads
Sometimes there are books that you look forward to reading for a year or more - the anticipation and excitement building with each passing day - that by the time, you get to reading the book, you've built a castle in the air about the book. And with each turning page, you find those ramparts crumbling. slowly but surely.

That was the case with The House of Shattered Wings. Aliette de Bodard is a big name - the Blood and Obsidian series pretty much catapulted her into the big league; And with a W
  • Last Song Before Night
  • Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1)
  • The Shards of Heaven (The Shards of Heaven #1)
  • The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps (The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, #1)
  • Updraft (Bone Universe, #1)
  • The Traitor Baru Cormorant (Baru Cormorant #1)
  • A Crown for Cold Silver (The Crimson Empire, #1)
  • Silver on the Road (The Devil's West, #1)
  • Those Above (The Empty Throne, #1)
  • Empire Ascendant (Worldbreaker Saga, #2)
  • Of Sorrow and Such
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • The Grace of Kings (The Dandelion Dynasty, #1)
  • Twelve Kings in Sharakhai (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #1)
  • Swords and Scoundrels (Duelists Trilogy, #1)
  • California Bones (Daniel Blackland, #1)
  • Karen Memory (Karen Memory, #1)
I am a speculative fiction author living in Paris, with a strong taste for history and mythology. Rice addict, tea addict and nước mắm addict.
My short fiction has appeared in various professional venues, and my Aztec fantasy series "Obsidian and Blood", Servant of the Underworld, is published by Angry Robot.
My next novel is The House of Shattered Wings, set in a devastated Paris where quasi-feud
More about Aliette de Bodard

Dominion of the Fallen (3 books)
  • A Fantasy Medley 3 (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.3)
  • The House of Binding Thorns (Dominion of the Fallen #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“is almost pleasant, at first, to be Falling. The harsh, unwavering light of the City recedes, leaving you in shadow, leaving only memories of relief, of a blessed coolness seizing your limbs. Nothing has turned yet into longing, into bitterness, into the cold that will never cease, not even in the heat of summer.” 0 likes
“IT is almost pleasant, at first, to be Falling. The harsh, unwavering light of the City recedes, leaving you in shadow, leaving only memories of relief, of a blessed coolness seizing your limbs. Nothing has turned yet into longing, into bitterness, into the cold that will never cease, not even in the heat of summer.” 0 likes