Start by marking “Always the Bridesmaid” as Want to Read:
Always the Bridesmaid

Always the Bridesmaid

The hilarious new novel from Lindsey Kelk, author of the bestselling I Heart series

Everyone loves a bridesmaid - except Maddie, who’s perpetually asked to be one.
Everyone loves a wedding - except Maddie’s best friend, who’s getting divorced.
And everyone loves the way Maddie’s so happy behind the scenes - except Maddie herself.
One best friend is in wedding countdown while

Published May 7th 2015 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Always the Bridesmaid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always the Bridesmaid

Start your review of Always the Bridesmaid
Irena BookDustMagic
Hands down, this is the best Lindsey Kelk's standalone I have read so far (I still have to read We Were On a Break and guess what - I'm starting it tomorrow).

This book is not only fun, but is also i miracle worker - it pulled me out of the reading slump that overtook my life for the last three weeks.
How do I know I'm finally out of it?
Because I finally can't wait to read all of the books in the world, and my to-be-reviewed pile looks appealing, not intimitating.

I enjoyed reading this book.
Leah
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm never not in the mood for Lindsey Kelk. When I heard that she had a new book coming out I was so excited. Lindsey's books always make you feel good and I've had so many inappropriate tube-cackles thanks to this book. Always the Bridesmaid is as fabulous as the I Heart series and About a Girl. I loved it so much. It's one of those books that you could read again and again and never get bored of it.

Kelk has created such likeable and relatable characters once again. Maddie is just a normal
Linda
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did I really just read a Lindsey Kelk novel? That can't be right...

But it is. Let me clarify something first; I really really love all of Lindsey's books. She is my favorite chicklit author. And then this book came along and I'm just really disappointed.
Spoilers ahead, obviously. And I tend to write in capslock a lot, nasty habit of mine, sorry!

The book is just a bit boring, to be honest. The plot is cliche and I know that chicklit plots usually are, but there was just something missing. Like,
Hannah
Maddie story and everything going wrong for her reminds me so much of Bridget Jones. Even the notes at the start of many chapters are like Bridget's diary instead with Maddie it follows Today I feel and Today I am Thankful for.

Lauren and Sarah are Maddie's two best friends the girls often fall out and kiss and make up again. Sarah is getting divorced while Lauren is planning on getting married (Having many changes of mind along the way)

Maddie's ex is Seb and her boss is a vile cow called Shona.
Nada Hosny
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you see couples dancing together on TV, all you see are sweeping camera angles and lush dips, but when it’s happening to you, it’s completely different. I was painfully aware of every step, every stumble, every time I swore and then immediately apologized for swearing. Audrey Hepburn, I was not. The one thing that was just how you would imagine was when I leaned in and let myself rest against Tom’s chest. I could hear his heart beating.

Reading a chick-lit can never NEVER go wrong, i mean,
Sally Whiteside
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It was brilliant from start to finish. Lindsey Kelk is a fabulous author and one I will read as long as she keeps writing.
Obsidian
I tried to get into this, but think I may need to take a romance break. This and some other books I started and didn't finish ended up irking the life out of me. There's a love triangle, or whatever you want to call it when one person is dating/sleeping with someone else, but still thinking of another person. The two best friends are not really there for the main character and I wondered at how they were supposedly all friends when it seemed that Maddie did more for them. The family was a ...more
Camilla Isley
SHARALINE. o.O

Loved this book, a cute romcom with plenty of humor and some friendly bitchiness.
Calliss
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. Its sweet, funny, have “real” characters and its a quick read (finished it in 4 hours)

The only thing I could have needed is a little more character developement of Tom, Shona and Elinor.

I hope to see a 2nd book about these people :)
Bookevin
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 sparkling stars to this sparkling book.

I guess it’s nothing worth announcing at the top of my lungs with a loudspeaker that I adore Lindsey Kelk’s books (as if the name of blog isn’t obvious enough..), but I look forward to her books every year. Without fail. A huge fan of her I Heart.. series, her standalones are a bit of a rare treat, her last one being in 2011. So I was thrilled to be reading an entirely new story with a brand new heroine and fall in
Luise
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful story.

I love it when you actually get what the description promises. It's humorous and has a really nice course of action with some great turns and outcomes.

I liked the main character, Maddie, a lot. I liked the humour, the love part and her friends. (Except for bridezilla Lauren, maybe. She was a little distressing.) But generally, I kind of liked everything.

At some point, Maddie complains about Lauren texting and calling her all night so she's permanently knackered - how
Book Addict Shaun
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I can't even put into words the excitement I felt when this book arrived early. Lindsey Kelk is the Queen of this genre. In fact, let's make her the Queen of everything, she is pretty amazing after all. Seriously though, I read her books and wonder just how she does it. Picking up a Lindsey Kelk novel is the ultimate pick me up, I swear even just holding one in my hands makes me feel better about myself when I'm feeling down. Always the Bridesmaid was no different, I loved every single page of ...more
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: April, 2016
Genre: Chick Lit & Romantic Comedy

:: 5 Pretty Little Stars ::

This book is FABULOUS! I won this book on twitter from the author (thank you!) and hadn’t had a chance to read it… Until now. AND OMG I am so glad I read this book. I am now officially hooked on all things Lindsey Kelk and I cannot WAIT to read more of her novels. This one in particular is LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY. It’s also sweet, fun, charming, and totally adorable. I loved the characters, the plot, and
Leah
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was SO good. I love Lindsey Kelk, her About A Girl series is freaking awesome (is it time for book 3 yet???) so I was dead excited for Always The Bridesmaid. It was so much fun, and I loved Maddie - and I wanted to bash her over the head a few times, when she was letting her friends walk all over her ugh. I was so ready for her to stand up and be counted, because Lauren really overstepped her mark a few times.

There were a few moments that made me shake my head in disbelief - typical
Yoda
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a nice book, mostly well written. A bit obvious, but that was expected.
The biggest downsides in this book, in all contemporary romance books written in this century is that we have 300 or so pages of miserable stories and just two pages of happiness. I wish I could read more about what happens AFTER everything is alright, not before. Or would that be too boring?
Samantha
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a huge fan of the I heart series and since then will read anything and everything that Lindsey Kelk writes. I was really excited when I got the chance to read Always the Bridesmaid and couldn't wait to start.

To be honest this book took me some time to read - this is not something that happens when I read her books, but for some reason I found this pretty tricky to get into. This could have been my own fault, I was unfortunate to not have the time initially to really get into this
Simona
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey Kelk is always up for a fun and entertaining story, having read her I Heart Series and her About A Girl series and I just love her style of writing. No wonder, I was really excited about this book!

The story follows Maddie. Maddie is such a likable and relatable heroine. She is full of energy and passion. She is writing a Bridesmaid journal throughout this story, since she is going to be bridesmaid at her best friend Lauren’s wedding. She is also organising the wedding in her spare time
Reyes
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, lol
3.5 Stars

That was a fun read! :)
The story does not really tell anything new, as usual we have:

- the cute, clueless, clumsy and super adorable protagonist
- the totally self-centred, selfish but in the end totally awesome best friends
- the horrible family that does not understand her lifestyle, but who love her very much anyway
- the awful, bitchy boss who's life mission is to make hers completely miserable
- the so hot, but oh so wrong love interest
- the not so hot, but oh so right love
Natalie TBGWP
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Well she’s back, and she’s back with a BANG! (Literally too) (I don’t mean Lindsey like. I don’t think it would go down to well if she opened up a book with a little erotica about herself do you? Oh god, just read it and you’ll get what I’m saying. I’m such a knob)

Moooving on… Lindsey Kelk has outdone herself with Always the Bridesmaid. It’s extra funny. It’s extra sarcastic. It’s extra sweary. It’s extra romantic. It’s extra everything.

With a plot not too heavy, but still with great twists.
Anja
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey Kelk is back. For me, at least

'Always the Bridesmaid' is about Maddie, who has been single for two years. She lives in London and has two best friends, one of whom is getting married and the other one getting a divorce. So with her one best friend turning into bridezilla and the other being heartbroken and sad, and herself being the wedding planner in her free time, Maddie's life turns out to become quite turbulent. Above all, a new man comes into her life and things get even more
Pia
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I am very disappointed. All the 'I heart' books were solid 5 stars books for me so I expected the same for 'Always the Bridesmaid'. But in the end it was more a 2.5 stars book. Why?

----- If you read further there a spoilers!--------------

Because it was more or less the same as the 'I heart' books but unfortunately a cheap imitation:

- Heroine meets two guys in the beginning. One is the good guy and one is the not so good guy. Guess which one she dates first? Exactly.
- She is not happy with her
Silke
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own

There's two main things that this book has an advantage:
1) I heart Lindsey Kelk
2) I fancy the pants off any (fictional) men named Will or Tom.

There's nothing about this book I disliked. I finished it in two days and loved it from beginning to end. Maddie is a great main characters. She's so incredibly lovable. Lindsey Kelk has the power of creating the perfect main characters for her books, it's impossible for me to dislike any of her main characters, they have a certain flair about them.

full
Elaine
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, romance
I liked this but didn't love it. There were some real laugh out loud moments in this book. Many characters in this book seemed to be very childish and naive - and they were supposed to be over 30 years old! And the so-called best friends make me shudder! They were awful friends. Except Tom whom I truly liked from the first second, all the other characters just weren't my cup of tea (her friends were really totally unlikeable and so selfish and just horrible).

Solid writing as always from
Diem
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, favourite
4.5

I picked it up meaning to only read one or two chapters and then I stayed up till 2.

There is a refreshing portrayal of complicated female friendships. There are some laugh out loud funny moments and oh my gosh, the hero is quite swoonworthy.

I am looking forward in reading more Lindsey Kelk.

Bree T
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maddie works as an assistant at an events planning and PR company, in the same position she’s been in for ten years since she finished university. Her boss is a nightmare but Maddie enjoys what she does, even if it does mean working for a reincarnation of Satan. She’s been single for two years and her ex-boyfriend is welcoming his first child with his new wife. Maddie has two best friends, Lauren and Sarah and when Lauren announces her engagement to boyfriend Michael, it’s naturally Maddie that ...more
Amy
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Love it.
Stacey
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Lindsey Kelk's newest novel One in a Million, the other week and absolutely loving it, I've been searching for a new one of hers to read and stumbled across this one on sale for 99p - I mean, how could I say no to that price? This one offered humour, emotion and romance all rolled into one and I love that - that way you get to feel all the feels! The cover didn't exactly blow me away, but I was looking forward to reading another one by my newly favourite author and I liked the ...more
ReadbyCait
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m never not in the mood for a Lindsey Kelk book. I can’t put into words the excitement when I heard Lindsey was releasing a new standalone book, and when the book arrived early I couldn’t wait to get stuck in.

Maddie is an events assistant, she doesn’t like to say “no”. Not only is she working a project to secure a very long over due promotion at work, allowing her to take control and get away from her dragon of a boss. Her best friend Lauren is getting married and Maddie is planning the
Zoobaaruba
May 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars
Maddie is two characters at once, one is dumber than a rock, and the other is a confident capable career woman. Her "best friends" are useless parasites, her family is cruel and unsupportive, her boss is a manipulative bitch, and her love life? Don't get me started on that.

Will is an asshole, Tom is a confused lonely doormat.

2 stars for making me laugh a couple of times over the utter ridiculousness of it all.

(view spoiler)
Christa
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Loved this! Will probably keep reading Kelk's books until the end of time! (or until she stops writing - but let's hope that won't happen any time soon)
This book was such a lovely balance of relationship (problems), friendships and work drama. Finished it rather quickly, as well. Great read if you just want your brain to switch off for a bit, knowing you'll enjoy the book and there won't be too many great conflicts in it.

This review makes no sense, but let's just say I really, really enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Around the Year i...: Always the Bridesmaid, by Lindsey Kelk 1 10 Jan 18, 2019 10:53AM
prom dresses may look wonderful and impressive 1 1 Jan 20, 2017 11:51PM

• Thirteen Weddings
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • The Truth About Gemma Grey
  • Chasing Daisy
  • Johnny Be Good (Johnny Be Good, #1)
  • The One Who's Not the One
  • The Sun in Her Eyes
  • The Last Piece of My Heart
  • Our Stop
  • Five Years From Now
Bestselling British author based in Los Angeles. Lover of books, watcher of wrestling, wearer of lipstick. Karaoke enthusiast and cat wrangler. Lindsey is the author of twelve novels, including the bestselling I Heart series, About a Girl, The Single Girl’s To-Do List and Always the Bridesmaid.
“It is an undisputed truth of the modern age that there are now only two kinds of people in the world: people who call and people who text.” 5 likes
“But sometimes there's a difference between being needed and being taken advantage of.” 4 likes