Start by marking “I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux” as Want to Read:

A personal retreat based on St. Therese of Lisieux. A wondrous distillation of the teachings of St. Therese of Lisieux on God's love and on confidence in Him; on humility, peace, and charity; on the Cross; and on abandonment to Providence. Learn to rest in God amid troubles, living joyfully with Him always.
Published July 1st 2001 by Sophia Institute Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about I Believe in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Believe in Love

Start your review of I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
booklady
This is the book you want when you are down, doubting God's love for you or needing to be reassured in anyway whatsoever. I cannot say enough about this book. It is BEAUTIFUL!

The author, Fr Jean C J D'Elbee, has written a masterpiece in spirituality based on the writings of Theresian spirituality. The title, I admit, sounds sappy. This book is anything but. Try the chapter on the Cross if you want some substance in your spiritual life:
Then there is the cross of having carried the cross badl
Michele
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic-faith
This book is truly inspiring - a must read!
Mark
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
What an encouraging book! This was another one of those cases where God seems to bring me to exactly the book I need at exactly the time I need it.
Jeanette
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh I finally finished this book! I've been reading it for a year now. It is SOOO good. I could reread it continuously and be enlightened every time. It took me a long time because it wasn't the kind of book that I wanted to read cover to cover and then move on from...I've been digesting it slowly. There is so much wisdom in it, I know I'll just have to keep rereading it to really let the lessons sink in.
Adam
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend loaned Fr. d'Elbee's treasure of a book to me as an introduction to the spirituality of St. Therese of Lisieux. This book presents ten retreat conferences based loosely on the spirituality of St. Therese of Lisieux, and to a lesser extent, of St. John Vianney, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, and St. Francis de Sales. Depending on your reading pace, each chapter / conference can be read in about 30 minutes to an hour with some care and reflection. I'd recommend reading one chapter at a time ...more
Kerri
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The most life changing book ever read. Spirtual books, especially those which journey through a personal retreat, are often times too scary to pick up merely because they are feared uncomprehendable. This book is anything but. it is extremely easy to read, very inspirational, and an amazing and lovely take on the teachings of one of the most beautiful saints.
i recommend this book to anyone looking or searching for meaning or purpose. in a few short weeks of reading this i can honestly say i fel
Anne
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite spiritual reads. It's beautiful. Be warned that it will take you a long time to finish since you can sit for a long time with every single sentence.
Paul Burdett
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book, it distills down her Little Way in such a humble digestible manner, loved it...
Mandy
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is so much to learn from St. Therese! I loved the reflections that the author wrote based on the life of this beloved saint. This is on my top ten favorite books list :)
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Quite excellent work and spiritual journey...
Leon Jose
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-reads
A great and powerful book. It was recommended to me by my best friend Dcn. McNulty. Thank you Lord for St. Therese
Erin Montgomery
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want to read this book over and over again for the rest of my life. What a beautiful account of the Love that lives within each of us.
Alexis
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite book. Finished this several months ago and it still influences my prayer often.
Christine
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
This is a fantastic spiritual read.

For too long I had relegated St. Therese as an overly sentimental young girl; childish. This despite her status as Doctor of the Church.

This books - by the grace of the Holy Spirit, of course - taught me so see differently.

In his "conferences" (chapters) Elbee makes St. Therese of Lisieux accessible to all of us; even those of us with excessively hard hearts who tend to be too deaf and daft to hear. I read the book slowly, meditating on it. It was a pre-Lenten
Audrey
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that I cannot recommend highly enough. Emphasizing complete confidence in the mercy of God and total abandonment to divine providence in daily life, this book is truly a life-changing read. One of the elements that made it most resonate with me was the gentle presentation, conveying the beauty of these truths in a way that is as hope-filled and approachable as it is challenging and inspiring. I read this over two months, just a few pages at a time, because it is so rich and impact ...more
Catherine
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This books brings you through a very interesting journey of your relationship with Christ. It is insightful, practical, very interesting on certain topics like abandonement, God's Mercy and Love. It is terribly easy to read and very applicable to everyday life. Defintely worth a read and as it says, it's worth reading in a couple of days like during a retreat. You get the most out of it that way.
djt
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
St. Therese, as always, in "I Believe In Love" puts into very simple words the most profound thoughts about God, about spirituality, about the importance of putting love first in our lives, even for those we disagree with, and especially or those who have harmed, or offended us in any way. One of the most simple, yet powerful, works of spiritual direction.
Amy
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So fantastic...one of my favorite books. It sat on my shelf for over a year, then picked it up just at the right time. It's one of those books you can just randomly open up and digest goodness. Changed my view of love and life.
The Hofs
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My favorite all time spiritual book. It transformed St.Therese from a sweet saint for young girls to a power house of strength and courage. I was expecting at the time that I read it first and it so inspired me that I included Therese in the baby's name.
Rachel
Aug 15, 2011 added it
Shelves: school-books
I'm just not going to rate this. I was forced to read it for school and then right a meditative paper on it. While I'm a big fan of St. Therese, I rebel against authority and thus detested reading this. I know, I'm a great person.
Katy
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A deep, meaningful book on the love and mercy of Jesus. This is one to read many times, and to ponder carefully. It is thoroughly Catholic, but non-Catholics who admire the saints will still be inspired to contemplate and trust in His love.
Emilia P
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: real-books, churrrch
Read with Church Ladies. Moments of greatness, some of the individual chapters had great depths to plumb but overall it does not come together as a retreat for me. But perhaps it's about the feeling rather than the specifics. Also, there was not enough about actual St. Therese in it. Wah wah wah.
Lea
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
I always seek new perspective and new inspiration, and this book gives it all and then some. Really nice to read in chunks and then in small bits and pieces - and every time I get something special out of it.
Ashley Strukel
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book was recommended by my spiritual director and I loved it! I didn’t have my book darts handy when I started it so I finished it today and will promptly turn it over and restart tomorrow. Highly recommend!
Jacqueline
May 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YES
My favorite book of all time!!! If you haven't read it, you should...you won't regret it, it changed the way I thought about love.
Sarahehlert
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book made me happy. What more can I say?
Colleenduggan
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A must read. A spiritual classic.
rebecca
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just started it but it is amazing so far!
Kathryn
My friend who became a nun said I should read it. I only get to hear from her once a year. I tend to follow her advice.
Lindsey
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jackie Olsson
Shelves: catholic
I own this book and will definitely read it again. Very spiritually insightful!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart
  • Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • Interior Freedom
  • 33 Days to Merciful Love: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat in Preparation for Divine Mercy Consecration
  • Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • He Leadeth Me
  • My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir

News & Interviews

“How can we not ask at every turn, 'What is going to happen? How will this turn out?' The main thing is not to consent consciously to anxiety or a troubled mind. The moment you realize you are worrying, make very quickly an act of confidence: 'No, Jesus, You are there: nothing--nothing--happens, not a hair falls from our heads, without Your permission. I have no right to worry." Perhaps He is sleeping in the boat, but He is there. He is always there. He is all-powerful; nothing escapes His vigilance. He watches over each one of us 'as over the apple of His eye.' He is all love, all tenderness.” 7 likes
“Jesus needs nothing but your humility and your confidence to work marvels of purification and sanctification in you. And your confidence will be in proportion to your humility, because it is to the extent that we realize our need of Jesus that we have recourse to Him, and we sense this need to the extent that we justly realize our unworthiness.” 1 likes