Start by marking “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

(Adventures of Tom and Huck #1-2)

THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER

Take a lighthearted, nostalgic trip to a simpler time, seen through the eyes of a very special boy named Tom Sawyer. It is a dreamlike summertime world of hooky and adventure, pranks and punishment, villains and first love, filled with memorable characters. Adults and young readers alike continue to enjoy this delightful classic of the promise a
Mass Market Paperback, US / CAN Edition, 520 pages
Published December 3rd 2002 by Signet Classics (first published 1884)

James Ward you can't read books on good reads, but I am sure this book will be in your local library

Start your review of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Jason Pettus
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, victorian, classic
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reposted here illegally.)

The CCLaP 100: In which over a two-year period I read a hundred so-called "classics," then write essays about whether I think they deserve the label
This week: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain (1876)
Book #6 of this essay series

The story in a nutshell:
Designed specifically to be a popular exa
Ankit Saxena
Though its a combined collection but I bought it only for to read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". I could have written much more but there is not much to say about this work. So, it would be just a brief snapshot of my thoughts on the same;

For me its nowhere belongs to the nearby aura of what The Adventures of Tom Sawyer has created so far since my childhood. What I read and feel while going through 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer', this character is nowhere close to that level.
Only at point
Nancy Oakes
I had to decided to read Huckleberry Finn as a sort of preparation for Coover's new novel Huck Out West, but I bought the wrong book combining the two by accident so I decided to read Tom Sawyer anyway. I'm so happy I did. And while that one was very good, I was much more drawn to Huckleberry Finn.

Anyway, more on the subject soon. For now I'll just say that there's a world of difference reading these novels as an adult after reading them as a child, and it's been eye opening.

later.
John Wiswell
Jun 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This the best volume without annotations, as it compactly contains both The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, with the split in the middle that explains the former is the story of a boy, and the latter is the story of a man.

The former captures the spirit of boyhood extremely well, with an unrivaled sense of humor and ignorance. It's just anecdotal enough to be read in tiny doses or in a steady stream, and builds to a satisfying climax - though plot is always in thi
Evan Dewangga
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Moby Dick and this book have rather same after-taste. The notion of uncivilized civilization came to be quintessential moral value of both Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, same as Ishmael.

With such a new style of writing, at first I've got a lot of difficulties reading this, especially with those south dialect. But oh boy, Twain told a very simple story about naughty kids in the hood. It just brings back my childhood memories about my past and stupid conviction that I used to hold true. But here and th
Nira Ramachandran
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How can you rate this classic any less than five stars? This was my return to Mark Twain after a childhood acquaintance, and I found it as engrossing and enjoyable as before. One has never quite forgotten Tom’s escapades, especially turning the tables on his Aunt, who set him to whitewash the fence as a punishment, and making it a profitable venture, where he relaxes in the shade and watches his friends vie for a chance to join in the whitewashing game. ‘Lessons on a change in attitude, which ca ...more
Prabhjot Kaur
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is one of my all time favorite books. I have read it a few times over the years and it never fails to put a smile on my face. It is very well written and has laugh out loud moments throughout.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is also an amazing read though I liked the first one a teeny tiny bit better. Huck Finn is also great and this continues with the adventures of Tom Sawyer as well.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - 5 stars

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - 4.5 s
Caleb
Jul 02, 2020 rated it liked it
My wife and I only read Tom Sawyer, which was charming. Will return for Huck Finn in a few months.
Ebster Davis
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First off, this is the first time I've listened to the unabridged version. For those of us naive enough to believe that the two American Folk heroes in this book are merely rambunctious teenagers looking for adventure, the real story will come as a complete shock.

Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are budding psychopaths.

It's not like its completely their faults either. They both have a skewed sense of morality that was influenced by their upbringing and culture. Huck was abused badly and then ab
Silvana
I like Huck's story better than Tom's. Probably because it is darker. Tom's story is alright, he's a very smart and creative kid and he sometimes made me laugh, especially the part when he was asked about the first two disciples during Sunday School and he answered David and Goliath, haha...

Anyway, Huck's story is better because it gives more insight on the real life and people along the Mississippi river when there's still slavery. Huck surely met with various, interesting characters during his
Vishnu
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Although I'd read both of these a decade ago, when I was about the same age as Tom and Huck, reading them again has been such a differently enriching experience. While the first is, ostensibly, a book for children by adults, the second is a book for adults by children.

Even as both works can exist in their own, a dual edition like this brings out some of the inherent interdependencies as well those feature which contrast one another sharply. I agree with those who say that Twain is perhaps Amer
Ariel Lynn
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
OK, I had to break this down into two reviews, posted to my blog (if you're interested!).

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Lmcwil
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I don't understand why these are only listed as one book- I distinctly remember reading Tom Sawyer, and then some years later, reading Huck Finn. Anyways, I liked them both although I recall particularly appreciating the latter. As far as I recall, Tom Sawyer was basically just a fun read, whereas Huck Finn seemed more of a social commentary, with a certain dark brooding about it. I read these both ages ago, prolly when i was about 13 or 14; I would definitely recommend.
Sarah White
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m counting this as one book because it’s read both back to back as part of my books I always wanted to read challenge, and I only want it to count as one book. (It’s number four.)

If I’m being honest Tom Sawyer gets four stars and Huckleberry Finn gets three. Maybe I was tired of these boys and their crazy antics and the racism by the time I got through the second one, but Tom Sawyer was more palatable to me.
Fredrick Danysh
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya, classics
Huckleberry Finn is first introduced to readers in Tom Sawyer. To try to escape his life of parental abuse and poverty, Finn sets off down the Mississippi River with a runaway slave. They encounter a many varied situations. Racist terms are used as they were acceptable when Clemmens wrote the book.
CJ
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-2-week-books
A classic for a reason! This was a great book from start to finish. Nothing else to say except I really, really loved it!
Lenora Robinson
I loved this book when I read it as a child and loved it this time around. I was looking thru different eyes when being confronted with slavery in this book. Sadly that is a part of our history and I think mr twain handled it nicely.
Doug McGuire
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another classic.
Sam Postlewait
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tom Sawyer and huckleberry Finn were amazing books that reminded me of my childhood and the story’s of their adventures along the Mississippi I will never forget
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Correct start date for my reading Huck Finn is some time in the Fall of 19** about when Mr G was reading aloud to the class of us sixth-graders but being as how I suppose we all preferred the Ray Bradbury and Stephen King short stories we didn't get so very far in ole Huck's autobiography. Forward a few states and years and Mrs Rule tried to teach us Huck Finn in eighth grade. (Bless her soul, the only competent teacher in a school staffed by monkeys.) I did my damnedest to avoid reading much of ...more
Ani
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
By Mark Twain
Review by Anneliese Edge

I can honestly say I have never been to the Mississippi River, but the author of the this great American novel made me feel as if I were actually with Huck and Jim on their many adventures down this historical river. The novel is about a young boy named Huckleberry Finn who is searching for adventure and is longing for freedom. This young boy was taken away by his drunk of a father because he wanted to possess the money Huc
Dimitris Papastergiou
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was ok.

A little bit specific-era written, a little bit racist, a little bit awkward, a little bit meh, and a little bit, I'd rather read something that doesn't have to do with a whole story that has ONE bad guy and the bad guy is the ONLY indian in the whole fucking book.

Other than things like that happening in it that grinds my gears, it was an ok story about kids getting into trouble.
Jeremy
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eli-s-books
Eli loved it! I think he is a little bit jealous of Tom though.
Sandy
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished Tom Sawyer but not Huckleberry Finn.
Liked the shewd naughty Tom, how he pursuaded the boys to paint the fence for him with fun, how he was absorbed by a fly or a green worm, how he comforted and protected Becky like a man.
As to Huckleberry Finn, stopped reading at the adventure with the "king" and the "duke", what nonsense were they talking about...

I think you will like these paragraphs: <3
=====
In the midst of the prayer a fly had lit on the back of the pew in front of him and tortured
Dave
Aug 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I reread this and liked it a lot more. My first review is below this one. I got to thinking about narrators who reveal things about themselves unintentionally. Plus I liked Jim a lot more. Definately a sloppy book, but Huck is great. Kinda sad how he is great and doesn't realize it.

The language in this book and the style of narration are what make Huck Finn. I am not interested in the movement of the plot which tires me in keeping track of where the hell they are going. But that is lazy attenti
Alicia Harlington
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn written by Mark Twain, even though it is a classic children's book, it was not my cup of tea. Which is why I did rate it a two out of five stars. I feel as though that this book is a lot for children to handle, especially younger ones just because they might not fully understand what Mark Twain is trying to say. He uses racism and slavery in such a way that I personally feel is too old for the younger crowd. This book is way too sophisticated for young readers ...more
Brian Ridge
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-classics
Not sure what else I can add to the mountains of praise these two books have received over the years. Clearly, they are are classics of American literature that deserve to be read in their original form by all American high school students. I think that what I liked best about these two books is the innocence and simplicity of the era. While kids today are busy with TV, movies, computer games, social media, and cell phones, Tom, Huck and their friends could entertain themselves for hours on end ...more
Tyler
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, is about the life and times of a boy named Huckleberry Finn. After running away from home, Huck hides off in a near by island, and while at the island he gets to know and continues his adventures with Jim, a runaway slave. I really enjoyed the book because it was fun to read, unpredictable, and I liked how Mark Twain made the book feel like it was written by Huck himself. It's a good book, and I would recommend it.

June Ahern
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mark Twain was a writing genius as he captured a time in American history and the lives of people living in the South. I'm chucking my way through Huck's adventures with Tom showing up recently. Read this as a teen and rereading as a senior with much change of my outlook on the story. Completed - again - since I've read this read this story way back in the olden days. A good read for sure!
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I LOVED this novel as a child. Reading as an adult, I found that I wasn't quite so engrossed but I did enjoy it and appreciated the author's style of writing. I found myself paying less attention to the story which I knew and more to the writing and language. A great period tale.
Goodreads Librari...: Kindle Version 6 17 Aug 14, 2016 03:05AM

• William Golding, Lord of the flies Penguin Study Notes
  • Four Great Tragedies: Hamlet / Othello / King Lear / Macbeth
  • Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Gulliver's Travels and Other Writings
  • The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories: The Great Short Works of Franz Kafka
  • Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
  • 1984: George Orwell (SparkNotes Literature Guide)
  • Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Persuasion
  • Gulliver's Travels / A Modest Proposal
  • Animal Farm / 1984
  • William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)
  • Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited
  • Around the World in Eighty Days & Five Weeks in a Balloon
  • White Fang
  • Charlotte's Web and Other Illustrated Classics
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work

Adventures of Tom and Huck (4 books)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer