Start by marking “Beckon Me (Beckoner #1)” as Want to Read:
Beckon Me (Beckoner #1)

Beckon Me

(Beckoner #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  108 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Everything nineteen-year-old Karina Mitchell knows about death changes the instant that she and her best friend, Rainey, are shot. For one, souls don’t die. They cross over. Only, Rainey’s soul hasn’t, and her ghost is hell bent on haunting Karina.

When Karina begins her sophomore year of college and moves into the apartment that she was supposed to share with Rainey, she l
ebook
Published April 13th 2015 by Cindy Thomas (first published March 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Beckon Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beckon Me

really liked it 4.00  ·

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
I'm giving away eBooks of this precious on my blog Its open internationally!! Don't forget to read my interview with the author herself!

My review will be posted soon.
Kelly Rose
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
"Oh, my God. You're serious. You're such an asshat!"

Any author that uses asshat will earn an automatic 5 stars from me! It just so happens that this book was written beautifully and the plot kept me at the tip of my seat so the 5 stars is completely deserving.

I can't say anything without giving away aspects of the book and I don't want to spoil anything for you. I will say that this book was anything but typical. It was so refreshing! I read a lot of paranormal but this was something I've never
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, I was in no way compensated by this review.

Cindy Thomas's Beckon Me is a marvelous addition to the world of Paranormal New Adult. Though it starts off with a somewhat slow pace, it really builds into the story. There's lots of story-building going on in this one. It's definitely going to lead to an epic conclusion in the next and final installment in this duology!

Karina has had it rough in recent days. She managed to survive
Kathy
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
New Adult Paranormal Romance. Book 1 in a series but doesn't end it a huge cliffhanger. Unique story-line, likable characters.

Content: some language including a few uses of the F word, innuendo, one fade to black implied sex scene.
Page Morgan
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beckon Me hooked me right from the opening pages and I couldn't put it down. The world-building is fantastic and the chemistry between Eli and Karina is hot :-) Their relationship is more than just physical attraction--it's deep and complicated, and definitely dangerous. Loved it!
Margaret
Wow, what a surprisingly fun, sweet read! Cindy Thomas adds her own unique twist on ghosts and what happens to your soul after you die ... and what happens when you get close to dying, but don't. I enjoyed every second of it.

To give a bit of info on the plot, Thomas jumps right into it. Within the first few pages, we see how Karina almost dies, and how her best friend, Rainey, does. Fast forward a bit, and Karina is back at school, trying to move on with her life. There's only one problem: Raine
Tom
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
College sophomores Karina and Rainey are enjoying a night on the town. They close down an art museum, which was featuring a photography exhibit. An excellent photographer herself, Karina especially was enchanted with the beautiful images.

On the walk back to the garage where they'd parked, the two stumble upon a couple obviously engaged in a very public intimate activity. What happens next reveals that the activity wasn't consensual, and it gets Karina and Rainey both shot. Karina survives; Raine
Tonyalee
See this review and more on my blog, After Hours at Lilybloombooks

New Adult has been a genre that has swept us by storm, making its presence known and is clearly not leaving anytime soon. Personally, I am worn out on the contemporary novels and I have been on the hunt for those very few paranormal romance to freshen things up.. Beckon Me was brought to my attention by a fellow blogger while discussing this - and I was beyond exited for it to hit my kindle on release day.

Honestly, I am s
Brianna (lebrbria)
I had the absolute pleasure of reading Beckon Me early and I'm happy to post a review of it!

Beckon Me begins with the tragic death of Karina's best friend, Rainey, in which Karina should have died too. And now Rainey is haunting her. Karina is faced with a choice to remain human or become a Beckoner to help her friend cross over. Fortunately for Karina, she has two awesome people to help clarify the options- the ever flirty and sexy Eli and the supportive and understanding Gabby.

When I first s
Mel
This is the story of Karina a twenty-year-old college girl who after a night out at a gallery with her best friend, both are shot by a guy in a parking lot. That night her friend dies.
After Karina's shot recovery she start seeing her friend, angry and hurt. She doesn't understand why her best friend came to hunt her. She thinks it's because she blamed her for her death. But then, in school, she meets a guy. A guy that makes her feel a lot of things.
This story is captivating and when you start re
Julie
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Though I am an avid reader, I often find it difficult to write reviews. Many times because I can never find the right words to string together to get across what I want to say. But I shall give it a try....

First, I like to be completely honest. I am a relative of the author, so you may assume that I would write a glowing review in the name of family. Let me just say you'd be very wrong. I read this book in the very early draft stages, and as Cindy will can attest- I can be.... Harsh in my critic
Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)
BECKON ME is the brilliantly and beautifully written debut of Cindy Thomas. No stranger to the publishing world, Thomas has gleaned a lot of information and it shows as this isn't your cookie-cutter self-pubbed debut. Thomas artfully and skillfully blends her knowledge with a unique story and graceful voice that makes BECKON ME a debut to be reckoned with.

Karina is a compelling from the first page. What especially drew her to me was her friendship with Rainey. The way Thomas writes these two is
Tequila
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had started this book, but for whatever reason I quit reading about 30% in, removed it off my book list and returned it. But then there was something nagging at me. I kept thinking maybe I had given up too early or was just in a funky mood, but I needed to give this book a second try. So I did. And I finished the last 70% today and glad that I decided to not give up on this book. Now I'm sad that there's only going to be one more book and that I now have to wait for that book. I can't wait to ...more
Brittney Fischer
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Solid 4.5 stars.

Great read. And, whaddya know? A heroine that isn't annoying! No silly love triangles, no "I want to strangle you for keeping this stupid secret because you make poor decisions" stuff either. Love. It.

Even though it took me a while to get through this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait for the second one. :)

Also, don't you just love the cover???
Shannon
Kelly Hager
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
All I want is a sequel.

This book is insane in the best way: great plot, great characters, great (swoony) romance...more, please!
Marie
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This fantastic New Adult book has just the right mix of college life, friendship, romance, and ghosts!

Beckon Me is only the second New Adult book I've tried. I've been hesistant, under the misbelief that New Adult is just YA with sex. Boy, was I wrong! If all New Adult is anything like Beckon Me, its more about the age of the characters (college or very young adult) and the depth of the characters' interactions with each other and with the world.

Karina and Rainey, best friends, go out together o
Emalie
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

First off: thank you, Miss Thomas, for gifting me this book.

It reminded me of the books by Jennifer L. Armentrout and the soul screamer series by Rachel Vincent. It made me feel the same like I always do when I read something of those two authors.

I read the synopsis of Beckon Me and I was immediately intrigued and knew I would at least like this. But I loved this.

Karina, our main character, was really down to earth and just so nor
Nia
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Decently average novel.
REVIEW

First Posted on: https://niacarnelioreads.wordpress.com/

-I received a free e-copy of this book from the author, but this did not influence the review in any way-

Beckon Me is the story of Karina and Eli, and their unique…abilities and their professional choices. The book starts off when Karina and her best friend Rainey get into a nasty incident which results in Rainey’s death. And now, Karina can see her dead best friend’s ghost. Which is not a very pleasant thing
Macy Klingerman
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review.

First of all, let’s all take a moment to appreciate this gorgeous cover. Holy crap, it’s beautiful. I have a serious crush on this cover.

It turns out that my crush extends to this book in it’s entirety, because I absolutely loved it. You don’t come across Paranormal stories in the the New Adult genre very often for some reason, so I was really excited to read a Paranormal with a protagonist that is actually my age.

Speaking o
Jhed Parico
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Also posted on MY BLOG

*I got a complementary copy from the author.

HOLY SMOKES. Guys! This book is it. I've never ever been more interested in a paranormal book but this book changed it! It's something fresh, Beckoners, and it will really get you hooked from beginning to end. I cried my eyes just from the beginning. You know that grief? Yes. Grief.

When I started the book, I was immediately consumed because of these characters you just met and then they die a tragic death (I basically love people
Amber Swinford
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This debut novel for Cindy Thomas is beautifully done, fresh, and will keep you turning pages until the end (and then chomping at the bit for Book 2!).

Karina and her best friend Rainey stumble upon an ugly scene one night that will change (and end) their lives as they know them. When Karina recovers and moves into the apartment she was supposed to share with Rainey, her life is thrown another curve ball in the form of her sexy neighbor, Eli (who I would gladly take off her hands anytime...).

From
Marty Mayberry
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SPOILER ALERT

I LOVED this book. It’s beautifully written and has all the feels. Karina’s a sweet yet spunky heroine I rooted for from page one. I laughed out loud at her wit (especially when she puts Eli in his place) and cried with her when she worried about Rainey. It takes an excellent writer to make me care about a character I only meet for a few pages, but Cindy does this effortlessly with Rainey. I was weeping in the final pages (spoiler) when Karina helps her cross over. I felt so sad for
Kim
3 and 1/2 stars. This book had the potential to be a 4+ star book, but in between moments of angst, passion, confusion, purpose, and freaky ghostly action, there was a lot of sitting around and random boring "normal" life.. Which is not what I want in a PNR. The story moved so slooooowly. Which was a damn shame. I ended up skimming through quite a bit of fluff to get to the good stuff - thankfully, the good stuff was actually really good! The characters were appealing and intriguing, the mytholo ...more
Nikki
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The first chapter of this book Is just "so intense, so powerful", you won't want to put it down!
Karina is, let's just say a curious girl with a love of photography. Leaving a showing one night she finds an interesting scene in an alley, one that makes this lovely night into a horrible night. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time, like at the end of a loaded gun. Yikes!

That fateful night Karina and Rainey get shot. Unfortunately, Rainey doesn't survive. Now weeks later Rainey
Patricia Huynh
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet read and is pretty much everything you want in a paranormal book minus a few details. There premise of the story had lots of potential and Beckon Me met them. At some parts the story got a little slow for my tastes but it quickly redeemed itself by the time the book ended. Eli and Karina were great - there's plenty of characterization for them, however Gabby fell flat.

I just wish there was more of a focus on the ghosts, but I guess we'll have to wait for the next book. I th
Logan LeDuc
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Full Review at http://www.loganashleyleduc.com

This book took me This book took me by surprise. I absolutely loved the plot. I think the idea was absolutely amazing and loved the route it took and the way it ended.

What bugged me more than anything was probably the characters. I couldn’t connect at all and unfortunately that ruined the upswing the plot had initially set for me.

Even at the end of the first book in this series, I didn’t feel as though I connected to the characters and unfortunately
Robyn
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A few months after experiencing a traumatic event, Karina must move forward and begin her sophomore year at Backbay University, even if she now sees ghosts. There she meets Gabby and Eli, who each have secrets that involve Karina. Karina must make a decision that will impact her entire life. Will she choose the life that Gabby did or the mysterious Eli? Ignore the spirits or try to help them move on?

I loved this book. A mixture of paranormal, action and romance are equally present. I love how d
Brielle
Perfect.

Beckon Me has everything in it that, in my opinion, makes a book great. There is a little something for everybody; looking for romance? This is for you. Looking for a bit of horror? Here ya go. Mystery/drama? Fantastic writing? Look no further. Cindy Thomas seamlessly propels us through the storyline, building towards a climax that does not leave you disappointed and an ending that leaves you craving more. This is her debut novel and I can honestly say she has easily become one of my fav
« previous 1 3 4 next »
New Adult Book Club: October Non-Contemporary group read Beckon me by Cindy Thomas 4 52 Oct 14, 2015 02:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Merge? 3 30 Apr 06, 2015 06:11PM
  • The Prophecy (Divinity Stone #1)
  • Shades of Avalon (Shades, #2)
  • The Red Order (Order of the Seers, #2)
  • Heartsick
  • Ward Against Darkness (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #2)
  • Witch Hunter Olivia (Witch Hunter, #1)
  • The Rising King (Keepers of Life, #3)
  • Surfacing
  • Beyond Fate (Fate, #1.5)
  • Honey Queen
  • The Crystal Keeper (#1-3)
  • The A-Word (Sweet Dead Life, #2)
  • The Dark King
  • Here They Lie (The Bloodstone Legacy, #1)
  • Hold Tight (The Embrace Series, #2)
  • Inflict (The Muse, #2)
  • For Always
  • Taken (The Watchers, #0.5)
Cindy Thomas is a YA and NA author. She lives in PA with her husband and three boys. When she's not writing, she's also a senior publicist and the manager of marketing at Spencer Hill Press.