Start by marking “Show Me Colour: Notes on love, loss, grief and renewal” as Want to Read:
Show Me Colour: Notes on love, loss, grief and renewal

Show Me Colour: Notes on love, loss, grief and renewal

Show Me Colour is about a sudden bereavement, grief and learning to live life again. A first-person account mixing memoir and travelogue, it was written following the death of the author’s partner and is in two parts: the all-encompassing grief that followed, and appreciating life anew while travelling through Italy. Available from www.rosalindgibb.com/?page_id=521
Published December 3rd 2014 by Citadel Books

To ask other readers questions about Show Me Colour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show Me Colour

Katherine Mann
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading this book in one sitting, and I recommend it thoroughly. It tells the story of a young woman who experiences a terrible loss and who, via dark days at home and a transformative trip to Italy, comes to terms with that loss.

The descriptions throughout the book manage to be both rich and accessible at the same time- moving, funny, and deeply memorable. Though catalysed by a terrible tragedy, the writing of the book seems to show a massive commitment to life, to people, a
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't expecting to be so keen to return to this book. But as soon as I started reading it, I looked forward to going back to it. It does exactly what it says on the cover - it showed me colour. It is an uplifting tale of a young woman's experience of the best and worst that life has to offer. It is very well-written and it drew me in from the start. The author has a classic style that is quietly powerful so you can picture and understand her circumstances without being bombarded with details ...more
Christopher James
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Difficult writing a review after reading Rosalind's account of coping with loss. It's unflinching in recounting the turmoil of sudden loss, and the faith needed to navigate darker waters and believe in brighter days to come. While I don't feel entirely equipped or qualified to comment, I am compelled to.

The dilemma reminds me of passages from the book where there is a need for recognition from friends and colleagues of the loss but reticence through awkwardness or embarrassment to engage with t
David J
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This book is a little gem, yet I came close to missing it simply because the sub-title suggested it might be a therapy work-out on a particularly sombre subject. I'm glad I didn't allow myself to be put off, because it turns out a therapy work-out is exactly what Show Me Colour isn't.

Without doubt, the trauma of particularly piquant grief is there, and the unmistakable homage to lost love. There are passages which don't make for easy reading. After all, two young people were besotten with each o
Lucas
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a difficult review to write. I like this book so much I don't know where to start.

As other reviewers have described, the first half of the book talks about the tragic loss of the author’s partner.

Knowing that this is what happens makes reading the first half more harrowing, poignant and spellbinding.

The opening sentence captivated my attention from the start. I knew this was a book I could not put down until I finished reading it.

Rosalind's writing and description of her experience i
Bruce Carroll
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Let me say right at the start “Show Me Colour” is one of the best memoirs I’ve ever read. Rather than trying to cover everything that has happened in her life so far, Rosalind Gibb focuses on two years (plus a little) of her life. The result is deeply moving.

From the subtitle, “Notes on love, loss, grief and renewal,” I was expecting a book filled with advice on how to cope with the loss of a loved one. What I got instead was the very personal story of one woman’s struggle to cope with tragedy a
Katharina Halbweis
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
it has been a few months since i've read "show me colour" but i remember how i read it in a very short amount of time due to its easy yet compelling style.
i feel like rosalind's emotions come across incredibly well in her book. the way in which she describes situations of her everyday life and how she dealt with what happened to her, really helped me comprehend her emotional development and how she went from grief and being out of touch with the real world to finding new inspiration and motivat
Nina Jervis
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
More people should know about this wonderful book. I picked it up to read one Friday evening and I ended up reading it all the way through the weekend - I couldn't put it down. Rosalind Gibb writes so beautifully and completely from the heart; she makes such an intensely painful and very personal situation feel utterly relatable, in particular through the way she describes the early days of her devastating grief.

I absolutely loved the second part of the book and reading about Rosalind's travels
Doris Reindl
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Show me Colour is my personal book of the year, a book that did not take me long to read but almost a year to write this little review on. Rosalind Gibb’s story made me cry and suffer along with her, knowing that what I was reading was plain truth. It also made me talk about death and bereavement in a way I would not have done otherwise. Reading the story made me want to share it and pass it on to people around me.

As sad and devastating I found the story of loss and as desperate the author’s att
John Martin
Show Me Colour is a must read for anyone who has experienced their own personal tragedy in life and although everyone reacts differently,it does, convey by example, how someone can fight adversity.
I found the book absorbing, emotional and thought provoking, all at the same time, with Rosalind Gibb showing great courage in writing it. I have tried to imagine how she must have felt when writing her story.
I must emphasise that this is a book of Rosalind Gibb’s own personal experience and told in
StitchAndRead
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book.
Simply and honestly written, it tells the story of a young woman’s life being turned upside down with the sudden death of her lover. We follow her through her darkest days and the immense sadness, loneliness and despair that she is left with.
After a year or so grieving and trying to make sense of the world again, the author travels to Italy in search of colour. This section of the book evokes the essence of Italy with its descriptions of food, family mealtimes and beautiful Tus
Pauline Flora
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It has been a while since I've read this book but it's one of those which you'll never forget. I remember it to be so touching yet extremely interesting and- in a way- very thrilling as well. The story has to parts; the first part is mainly about the loss and grief the author's going through. This was written so beautifully but not in an overdrawn euphemistic kinda way, but very authentic, raw and comprehensible. The second part is all about her journey through Italy where the author works for v ...more
Salome Roithinger
I read this book because my english teacher gave it to me. At first it was only a duty to me but once I started reading, I was captivated by the story and coulndt stop reading. The first part of the book was very emotional and at some point it made me cry. Although the book tells a tragic story, there is always hope and not a moment of forlorn desperation.
While reading the book I realised how strong the author must have been to go through all the pain without giving up. Instead she discovered a
Jeannette Belliveau
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people coping with loss
Recommended to Jeannette by: the author, whom I met
A very sweet, to the point book, very well organized, that can help readers in general on a grief journey or -- especially -- those who lost a great love after a short time, and find so little comprehension of this loss outside of immediate family.

Gibbs is brave and honest in sharing her devastation after losing her Andrew, and she eventually stumbles across the AA mantra in not so many words: "Move a muscle, change a mood." She heads off from Carlisle in the north of England, above the Lake Dis
Lorraine Jackson
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book... it is a very raw and honest account of the author's experience in dealing with the loss of her partner. I think what makes it worse is the 'what ifs' with it being a relatively new relationship and the pain the author goes through - from finding out to deciding to go travelling - is almost palpable.

I thought this was a brave book and loved the travelling stories of working on farms and meeting new people which almost breaths life back into the author. A well deserved five s
Liz
Mar 21, 2015 added it
This book was written by a friend's sister. It was interesting to me to note similarities in the writer's voice, to ways I can imagine my friend speaking.
I understand that the book has been a therapeutic experience for the writer and many readers. Although some of the ways she explores to process her thoughts and feelings might be different than the way I would think or do, I can see that it might be valuable and comforting to someone who has had a similar loss. I plan to gently recommend the bo
Doris
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A blossoming love is cut short by a sudden death. This is a very personal story of a woman who is lost, alone and desperate for help. The first half of the book is deeply heart-wrenching as the author lays out her raw emotions in vignettes of her life. Finally, she comes to a fateful decision: to change her environment – and with it herself - by working in Italy. We want to laugh and dance with her as she embraces life again and begins to move on. This book is helpful for anyone who can’t seem t ...more
Ann Andrews
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose someone you loved so early in life. Rosalind Gibb does an amazing job of chronicling this process of navigating grief and other emotions as she experiences them herself. Whether completely factual or creative nonfiction, the emotions come through quite clearly in this work. It is well written and would definitely act as a great companion piece to someone who was going through a sim
Ewan Kenny
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. I hadn't expected a book about grief (and renewal) to be such a page turner. I loved the vivid descriptions of the writers inner and outer world as she moved through the different stages of her process. It gave a good sense of some of the intense pains and simple pleasures that can be experienced in life, and all written in a satisfyingly concise style. Also some bits were laugh out loud funny!
Toni Jenkins
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is at once heart-wrenching and inspiring - a tough combination to pull off yet done with such ease here. Rosalind Gibb writes so beautifully and authentically that this story of loss is not only touching but uplifting. She bares her soul through such eloquent language that you can't help but imagine yourself in her shoes as you read through tears and laughter. This is one book that will remain permanently on my shelf. A must read.
Tim Kerton
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Show Me Colour is a beautiful, powerful book and I feel more alive having read it. I really felt the authors pain, it resonates so soundly and truthfully. It touched me deeply but it travels much further than that. It enabled a real catharsis for me, evoking memories of deceased friends and broken hearted endings to loving relationships. The book manages not to dwell too much in the sadness but offers real perspectives on emotional pain management and the strength of the human heart.
Victoria Hume
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I read it in about two days - it is a totally compelling, simply told story; but not simply lived. Leafing through it again now I can remember each part of it vividly. I haven't read a book in a while that made me want to get back to it as quickly as I could. It's extremely honest, full of human frailty, full of grief; equally full of strength, and of joy. I can't hope to be as articulate here as the author is in writing it but I would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone.
James Hawkins
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i loved this book so much. it was so helpful for me in developing a training program for practitioners working with people who experience loss. Rosalind's style is open, conversational and generous. She is not afraid to share with the readers feelings that must have been difficult to bear whilst at the same time she helps us see that there are ways out of darkness.
thanks Rosalind
Beth Crosland
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the first half of this book in one sitting; it was so gripping and moving. I felt dizzy at times reading it because the physical sense of grief was so strong. Compelling and very honest this book is full of vividly painted scenes and emotions. It's a brave book that has stayed with me.
Sonata