Start by marking “The Snowbirds” as Want to Read:
The Snowbirds

The Snowbirds

In a small Japanese mountain village, young Shoji enters an ice carving competition. He soon finds he has a rival in Orochi, another boy in the village, who tries to sabotage Shoji’s entry, but with the help of his family Shoji creates a most beautiful Snowbird.

When the other ice carvings are revealed they discover that Orochi has stolen Shoji’s idea and has also carved a
Published March 28th 2015 by Troubador Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Snowbirds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snowbirds

Jillyn
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I was really excited to read this book. I really like books that involve Japanese themes and culture. I also really enjoy fantasy. Plus on top of that, my father was (in his prime) a competitive ice carver. So I thought that this would be one that I loved. I enjoyed it well enough, but overall it was a really average read for me.

I really liked the fantasy elements and how they were blended into the story. I also rather liked the writing style. It was very pretty and it flowed well to me, but it
Skye
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-books
I received an advance copy from NetGalley.

The Snowbirds was an short sweet story, and clearly written as a fable. While I finished it, it will not be a book that I return to to read again, for various reasons.
Many of the paragraphs felt disjointed, and rough, like they hadn't been edited. This gave the book a shuddering plotline, and didn't flow as well as it could have. I feel that if the links between paragraphs were eased into a lot more, rather than just a sharp cut, it would make the flow o
◈ ɣεɾɑ ◈
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 21st-century
Found book on Netgalley, thought I'd give it a review

The book opens up with an introduction to the protagonists and his parents. He finds out about an ice sculpting competition and is very eager to join in, his father lets him and teaches him how to carve ice, thus the boy learns very fast, and is able to join the competition with a lovely ice bird.
There weren’t many things that I liked about the book, in all honesty, but what drew me to the book in the first place was that it was set in Japan,
Melaslithos
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book through Netgalley.com.

This story is a sweet fairytale.

It follows the traditional themes and structure of such tales, with good versus evil, well defined roles, and obstacles to pass before good finally triumphs over evil, and not the more modern trend where everything is more blurry.
But I like it this way, and it's nice from time to time to have a more manichean fable and not deal with all the uncertainties.

The drawings are also as delicate as the
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Shoji and Orochi both want to win the snow carving competition in their village, but only one is prepared to play by the rules.

Fitzsimmons has developed an original and interesting story here, but at the same time it feels incredibly familiar due to the style of writing that can only be described as a fable. I think this style will appeal both to grown-ups, who will appreciate a new and different “fairy
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Peppered through with illustrations, this is a rather sweet younger-readers book about a boy called Shoji who lives in Japan in a mountain village. His father is a woodcarver, the mother looks after the family and he also has a younger sister. There is to be an ice carving competition which Shoji wishes to enter, and as his father is a woodcarver, surely there are skills to be passed on to his son in oder for him to win the grand prize!

With a visit to the North Pole with Jack Frost himself, Shoj
ProofProfessor
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a lovely story but unfortunately the author has not been well served by the publisher or whoever proofread it. There are over 40 errors of grammar, spelling and punctuation, not to mention some odd-looking and inconsistent indentation of the text after illustrations. Sentences and paragraphs end without appropriate punctuation (example: p170 l2/p108 l16); questions end without question marks (p149 l19); speech punctuation is very often either absent or incorrect (p117 l20/p77 l8); words ...more
Heather
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
"The Snowbirds" was a sweet fairytale for middle primary school readers. It had strong morals, lovely black and white illustrations to enhance the story and a beautiful writing style which created a wonderfully cold, wintery atmosphere. My biggest criticism with the book was that the story was set in Japan but had Jack Frost and the Snow King in it. Both had a major role in the story, yet neither appear in Japanese mythology. I would have preferred that the author had chosen characters which wer ...more
Emma
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uno-challenge
I received a free copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Although this is a children's book I enjoyed it greatly. It was a lovely story with some lovely, well drawn pictures that had a lot of depth and character to them. The story had a lovely message and was very family orientated.

The story was well written and flowed well. I would recommend it for young children or families.

4 out of 5 stars
Sally
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A very sweet story... reminiscent of many fables I read/had read to me as a kid... do good things and be humble and selfless and good things will come to you, be an arrogant brat and you will get your just desserts!
Vincent Ripley
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book for a snowy day. It's strong on morals and beautifully written. ( Your eyes are cold, and your heart is colder than the ice you are made of._Short on page count, big on storyline.... Mr Ripley's Enchanted Books...
Rie_dominique