Start by marking “Kingdom of Ashes (A Wicked Thing, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of Ashes (A Wicked Thing, #2)

Kingdom of Ashes

(A Wicked Thing #2)

Asleep for a hundred years, awoken by a kiss. Aurora’s life was supposed to be a fairytale.

But since discovering that loyalty to the crown and loyalty to her country are two very different things, Aurora knows she can only dream of happily ever after. Once the enchanted princess, savior of her people, she is now branded a traitor.

Aurora is determined to free her home from
Published February 23rd 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of Ashes, please sign up.

Start your review of Kingdom of Ashes (A Wicked Thing, #2)
Alyssa

Publication Date: February 23, 2016
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Asleep for a hundred years, awoken by a kiss, Aurora’s life was supposed to be a fairytale. But since discovering that loyalty to the crown and loyalty to her country are two very different things, Aurora knows she can only dream of happily ever after. Once

“I want you as an ally,”

This was an interesting story, and I liked the dragons!

I liked Aurora more in this book, she seemed much stronger, and more determined, and actually took charge instead of allowing other people to make decisions for her.

The storyline in this started out with Aurora fleeing, burning down the odd village (accidentally), and eventually escaping to
Stacee
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was much stronger than the first one. It did drag for the first part of it, but then there were dragons and everything was better.

Aurora is intriguing in this book. She's got magic and I was kept interested in reading her learn how to control it. Finnegan is as much fun as before, possibly even more, and I loved their scenes together.

Did I mention there were dragons? Yeah, there are and they're awesome. Aurora's connection with them may have been the best part of the entire book.

The
Sherwood Smith
Feb 22, 2016 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Copy provided by publisher

A fantasy that I would have loved at thirteen, but found difficult to engage with at my old age, after sixty years of indefatigable reading.

The pluses: Aurora and Finnegan, a delightful pair, determined to cure the dragon problem besetting Finnegan's kingdom. A feisty heroine, a quirky hero, and dragons are a big plus. Add in Aurora's dragon magic, which gave her power that would have been a sure-fire hit for me at thirteen.

But I am a visual reader, and the world
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Shelves: arc
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from YA Books Central for review.

Diversity Rating: NA (admittedly because I can't remember)

Y’all know I’m all about feminism and not all that here for fantasy. For some reason, the two clash more often than I’d like thanks to copy-of-a-copy fantasies that overdo it on the patriarchies (see: Defy by Sara B. Larson, The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons) and I’d rather not choose. WHY NOT BOTH FEMINISM AND ORIGINAL FANTASY?

Well, A
Melissa
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook-i-own

Kingdom Ashes is the final book in this duology and I hate to say it, but although it was very unsatisfying, I’m glad. This book was one of my most anticipated releases of 2016 and I’m so so soooooo disappointed!:( I’m going to try to keep this very short as I don’t like to ramble about things I didn’t like… Here I go…

Generally, I just had a lot of problems with the main character. And this is what mostly ruined the book for me. She had zero character development. She kept doing dangerous
Vi ~ Inkvotary
Inkvotary
An action-filled story with a touch of romance and many very bloody and cruel scenes. I am not sure what to think of this book. It was a bit better than the first one. But still not really mine. An open end, a princess who doesn't know what she wants, and a lot of guessing. If you are expecting a nice fairy tale here, you are wrong. Not sure if I can recommend it.
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
So this was a bit "meh". It felt a bit like the sequel that the author realized she wanted to write when she had almost finished writing the first book. Even though the first book ended on a real cliffhanger and you wanted this book, it did not live up to the expectations. In my opinion a lot of the lose threads from book one were wrapped up and finished about a third into this book and then it was just mini-stories to fill the time until we got to the final bit.

There were good bits, mind, and I
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd like to thank Harper Teen for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

Going into this book, I will say I ha to read a few reviews of and the blurb from the first book to re-familiarize myself with the story. I remember liking the first book but not loving it. So I went into this book with a bit of trepidation because second books in a series do not always live up to what we want. I should
Nara
I remember A Wicked Thing finishing on quite an interesting note, but starting on Kingdom of Ashes, unfortunately that did not continue. I think one thing that perhaps didn't help was that I didn't remember a whole lot about the minor details of the story, and could only remember some of the main events towards the end of the first book. Often when I read the sequel, the first couple of chapters will jog my memory, but that wasn't the case with Kingdom of Ashes.

I think this was most likely
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
This book is different from A Wicked Thing. The plot is more fast-paced, which felt a little rushed at times. At the same time, I was a little bored at times. There were some parts of the story that could have used something> more.

I love the focus on Aurora and her personal growth. There is some space for romance, but the story itself is solely based on her and her journey to become the person she wants to be; to get her freedom. That being said, I loved her moments with Finnegan. They are
Kelly Gunderman
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, edelweiss
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

If you’ve read A Wicked Thing, Kingdom of Ashes is a must read (especially if you liked the first book in the series). I finally got to read A Wicked Thing recently (I have no idea what took me so long), and while I did point out that it was a bit slower paced and didn’t have as much action as I had hoped, Kingdom of Ashes delivers all that action and fast-paced awesomeness that seemed to be absent in the
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Kingdom of Ashes was such a surprise as a follow-up to A Wicked Thing. I mean, I liked both, but they’re massively different in tone and pacing. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it is very jarring if you’re doing a back-to-back read of the two. Where A Wicked Thing was slowly-paced and thoughtful, Kingdom of Ashes races by with constant action and magic. They’re strong in different ways, and I really appreciate the series, but, yeah, definitely a surprise.

Though I think Kingdom of Ashes
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Setting: Fictitious Kingdoms of Alyssinia, and Vanhelm.

Key Characters: Prince Aurora (aka Sleeping Beauty), Nettle (singer/spy), Celestine (Wicked Witch), Prince Rodric of Alyssinia, and Prince Finnegan of Vanhelm.

Summary: Kingdom of Ashes, by Rhiannon Thomas, is the second and apparent final installment in A Wicked Thing series. After sleeping for 100 years thanks to Celestine's curse, Princess Aurora was awakened by
Anna
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: june-2016
Could've done without the romance.

Following this sequel of one of the not-so-favored books of last year (I think), Aurora escapes and sees refuge in Prince Finnegan's kingdom. Little did we know his kingdom is shit. Dragons appeared out of nowhere and destroyed a majority of the kingdom. Finnegan and Aurora attempt to solve mystery of why Aurora slept, why dragons appeared, and why magic disappeared.

The whole magic disappearing thing never got me. It's a fantasy cliche that either needs to
Amy Aelleah
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I never do this but...

Love the first book. Love this cover. Love the dress.

And it comes out on my birthday!

*Edit After I Read It*

This book is wonderful! It's lovely and beautiful and deadly and I just simply adore it so much.

Aurora is AMAZING in this book and I absolutely love her!

Also, there were several times when incoherent mutters and gasps were the only noise I could make about this book, so that's got to say something.

I do plan on eventually getting out a review to my blog - one that
Lisa Mandina
Not sure if I enjoyed this as much as the first one. But it was still good.
laura (bookies & cookies)
I love seeing authors develop and improve through each new book. So much stronger than the first book! The dragon/magic element really made the book for me. So it only lists this and A Wicked Thingin the series and the next book that Rhiannon Thomas is writing for another series. So is that it? I thought it was a duology, but this book wasn't quite as wrapped up as I'd hoped, and I feel it's like that so there's a potential for a third in the future. Either way, glad I read this duology/series!

Samantha Daly
Kingdom of Ashes picks up with Aurora on the run. She's escaped from court and left a huge mess in her wake. After the events that led up to Aurora fleeing, she's even more determined to find a way to save her Kingdom from the evil King. Aurora meets up with Nettle again, and the two of them journey to Vanhelm to get the help of Prince Finnegan.

I liked Aurora a bit more in this one. She's not stuck in a position where she has no power anymore, so she's more determined to do whatever she can to
Rebecca
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kingdom of Ashes picks up right where A Wicked Thing left off. It's a slow start, but I was still interested and engaged, which I think is a perk of reading series all in the one go. The pacing gradually picks up and halfway through, I actually had to pull myself away because it was getting late and I could have easily kept going.

I already like Aurora is book one, but she really gets to shine in this instalment. She's pushed further out of her comfort zone and watching her discover her magic was
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good ending! And of course I loved that this one had dragons!!!
Debby

If we haven't spoken in a year, you may not have noticed the intense love I've been consistently proclaiming for A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas. But boy. I love that book. It's so thoughtful and unique - and though there wasn't a lot of action, I was completely swept up in the main character and her voice. Well now it's finally here: the sequel. And it was definitely enjoyable.

The end of A Wicked Thing left me with great hopes for the next phase of the story: with Aurora free from
Nicole
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Honestly, this novel was very hard for me to complete, and I'm not too sure why. I enjoyed the first novel, and liked where it led the reader. I really enjoyed the dragons and there was tons of Finnegan within this novel ( He's amazing and the best). But for some reason the plot was dragging throughout the entire novel until the last few chapters. I honestly didn't care what happened to any other characters other than Finnegan and Nettle. I wanted more with Aurora and her magic...and more of a ...more
Ashley
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual review is probably closer to 3.75 stars
Jaime
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
The first book in the series, A Wicked Thing, was not a bad book at all; It had a great concept. But there were several issues that I had with the story as a whole. That didn't stop me from wanting to read this sequel, though. Thank goodness for that, because Rhiannon's writing has grown exponentially in round two of this series!

We start off about a week after the events of A Wicked Thing, with Aurora on the run from King Henry's men. She is starving and weary from traveling so long, and goes
Megan ❀
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
"Why do you think the dragons disappeared?"
"Because the world couldn't keep them."

This should've been the first book. While A Wicked Thing was a quick, light, not-bad-but-nothing-special-either read, Kingdom of Ashes was something compelling. The world was more complex, the characters and their relationships were more interesting, and most of all, dragons. I've said I've never read a good dragon book before. This was a good dragon book.

Finnegan could've been the sarcastic, charming, hyper
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

One thing I said in my review of A Wicked Thing was that I hoped we would get dragons in the sequel and WE GOT DRAGONS. I was so excited about that and I really loved that addition. I liked A Wicked Thing but I really really really enjoyed Kingdom Of Ashes.

Aurora was so fantastic in this one. She is stepping up big time and taking control of her life. I loved watching her grow into her strengths and learn to control her magic. And I also liked that
Stacy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
I didn't think I was going to pick up book two after I read A WICKED THING, but I saw it on EDELWEISS and thought, why not?

Aurora is on the run and thankfully an ally comes to her aid and gets her out of her kingdom before the king can get his hands on her. I enjoyed following her journey and thought that she did a really good job of standing up for herself and learning how to use her magic to best help her people. I didn't think much of Finnegan in A WICKED THING, but I happened to like him
Once
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5

Starting where A Wicked Thing picks up, we follow Aurora as she fights her way through the hardships of being a wanted criminal and figuring out how to control this power that she now has. This new story of the Sleeping Beauty that we all know and love that has taken on such an adventurous tale.

To be honest the book didn't grip me like the first one did. I loves the first one because of the story that came after Aurora woke up, I loved that. Maybe the wait between the first book and the
Diamond
Had to stop this one and mark it as DNF.

Really bummed to do that with a sequel, but it's better than investing more time in a series that is too confusing and adding too many elements to the central plot (which has shifted radically since the first book).

I felt like there should have been a recap of book one, I know that can be annoying but cmon! It's been at least a year since I read book one and a little recap would have saved me about 50 pages of confusion :)

I did like book one. I wish it
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 20, 2015 06:25PM

• The Blood Spell (Ravenspire #4)
  • The Traitor Prince
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
  • The Wish Granter (Ravenspire, #2)
  • The Cursed Sea (The Glass Spare, #2)
  • Kill Me Softly (Beau Rivage, #1)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Ungodly (Goddess War, #3)
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Firewalker (Worldwalker, #2)
  • Luminosity (The Raven Chronicles, #1)
  • Mortal Gods (Goddess War, #2)
  • Fading Through
  • The Traitor's Ruin (The Traitor's Circle, #2)
  • Indelible (The Twixt, #1)
  • Shuka - A Queen's Destiny 01 (Shuka - A Queen's Destiny, #1)
  • Rampant (Killer Unicorns, #1)
Rhiannon Thomas is an English Lit grad from Princeton University. She currently lives in York, England, in the shadow of a 13th century Gothic cathedral. When she isn’t lost in YA fantasy, she writes about feminism and the media on her blog, FeministFiction.com.

A Wicked Thing (2 books)
  • A Wicked Thing (A Wicked Thing, #1)
“The truth is what you make it, Finnegan had written. So why not make it something good?” 1 likes
“No one is just anything. Everyone will have more layers than you expect.”

“More layers does not mean being a spy.”
0 likes