Start by marking “From a Buick 8” as Want to Read:
From a Buick 8

From a Buick 8

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  51,518 Ratings  ·  1,376 Reviews
For twenty years the officers in the Pennsylvania State Police Barracks have kept a secret in Shed B. A vintage Buick which lures the troopers to come and take a look. Now young Ned Wilcox, son of the recently deceased officer Curt, has started hanging around the Barracks. One day he can`t resist peeking through the windows. And it`s time to share the secret. So the vetera ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Hodder (first published September 24th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about From a Buick 8, please sign up.

Michael Cargill Cargill My advice is to start reading something else!

I'm a big Stephen King fan, but From a Buick 8 is probably the worst thing he's written.
Wann Sadly this book has failed so bad with King's readers that the bad reviews are unwanted on this site.

Kemper
You ever make a meal comprised only of a bunch of leftovers that don’t really match? That’s how you end up eating half a Salisbury steak with the sweet-n-sour chicken from last night’s take-out. Stephen King loves doing that only it’s with books instead of food.

Here we have a hunk of Christine served up with stray bits from The Tommyknockers, and it’s all done using one of his preferred methods of having a character tell a long rambling story. Uncle Stevie then seasons it up with a lot of wistfu
Carol
2.5 Stars

OMGOSH, I really can't believe I'm rating a Stephen King novel 2.5 Stars, but From A Buick 8 turned out to be a real "clunker" of a read for me.

The story begins enticingly when a mysterious man dressed in black rolls into a gas station for a fill-up and forthwith disappears leaving his evil vintage car behind. Unfortunately though, except for a few freaky monster moments and light shows, the plot was long, lacking and laborious.

A rare disappointment from The King!

trishtrash
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I often wonder if 'Buick' counts as metafiction: a story told within a story which is, in a way, about stories, and our obsession with endings and with finding out. Principally, though, it's a rollicking good horror yarn in which the creepy is layed on with a trowel until you just want it to stop... well, maybe after one more page.

The premise of an alternative dimension has never been handled so diffidently. It's there, in the boot of a car, under a tarp, in a garage on the local sheriff's offic
Edward Lorn
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Guantanamo Bay Detainees
There are many problems with this book, but they can all be summed up with a quote from the actual text:

From page 297 of the hardcover, third paragraph, starting fourth sentence in:

But--this is important--tell me a story, one that has a beginning and a middle and an end where everything is explained. Because I deserve that. Don't shake the rattle of your ambiguity in my face. I deny its place. I repudiate its claim. I want a story.

No. Fucking. Shit. King spends a great deal of this book explain
*~Lan Lan~*
3.5 stars.

Yes, I did it! I finished this book!

It is not like this book is horrible or anything, but for its 350 something page length, it took longer and a lot of energy to finish. In comparison to King's novels that I have read, this is one of the most dense, uneventful books he has published.

From a Buick 8 is a novel that is meant to make you think more than entertain. It presents an interesting premise, one that emphasizes our human nature for needing 'meaning' in life. It makes us question
Franco  Santos
A veces, cuando alguien lo pasa mal, le ayudan más personas de las que esperaba. Y a veces, aun así, no es suficiente.

Empezaba tan bien este libro... Al principio pensaba que me iba a encantar, pero a medida que avanzaba se me hacía cada vez más aburrido. Lo bueno es que no es pesado, entonces se puede leer rápido. No obstante, en relación con la historia, es muy lenta y repetitiva.

Lo siento, Steve, pero no me gustó.
Erik
Apr 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You have a favorite restaurant. They serve a new four-course meal each time you visit (the fourth being dessert) and you always leave feeling full and satisfied. But this time you notice the "Under New Management" sign. But you're not worried. They're still doing great business and the line is around the block. Fortunately, you made reservations.

As the courses progress, you notice the flavors are bland, uninteresting, and redundant. Maybe the chef is having an off night. You push through it, bec
Nathan
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think this is the best novel I've read. It's not even Stephen King's best. It is my favorite though. It's the novel I've reread most often. This was at least my fifteenth reading of it and I still had fun.
Reanna
First off, let me just say this book literally took me all month to get through and it was relentlessly slow. I kept hoping, wishing the story would pick up the pace but it just never did. If you're looking for one of those quick, enjoyable King fixes that we all know and love, this is not the book I'd recommend. I read it because it was the book selection of the month for the group and I would have eventually read it anyway.

I really wanted to rip this book apart and rate it a 1 star but that's
Gregor Xane
Jun 25, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I know. I know.

I'm reading it anyway.
Play Book Tag: From a Buick 8 by Stephen King - 2 stars 4 9 Sep 25, 2017 11:52PM
Around the Year i...: From a Buick 8, by Stephen King 1 8 Jun 24, 2017 09:07PM
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • Darkfall
  • The Dark Tower: Treachery
  • The Throat
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
  • The Stephen King Universe: A Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • The Damnation Game
  • Nobody True
More about Stephen King...
“It's funny how close the past is, sometimes. Sometimes it seems as if you could almost reach out and touch it. Only who really wants to?” 26 likes
“You don't always talk with your mouth. Sometimes what you say with your mouth hardly matters at all. You have to signify” 23 likes