Start by marking “Black Rose (Black Rose #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Rose (Black Rose #1)

Black Rose

(Black Rose #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
“May the Black Rose protect you in life and avenge you in death.” – Vow of the Black Rose

Six hundred years ago, the Muir Court was wiped from existence, destroyed by an elite group known as the Black Rose Guard. Their Captain, Mara, has a reputation of being a harsh woman who leads the guard with a fierce formality. During her long years, she has known pain, loss, heartac
Published October 12th 2014 by K.L. Bone

To ask other readers questions about Black Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Rose

Frederic
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I don’t think that I will be able to find another word to describe what I am feeling about that wonderful story. I am not use to read Dark Fantasy story and I am not a fan of graphic violence neither (even in writing). Having read Heir to Kale and Heir to Koloso, I knew that K.L. Bone is a truly gifted author, I decided to go ahead and read Black Rose, and I did not regret it at all. I have been given this book in exchange of an honest review.

Have you ever felt real love, the one that deepl
Anna
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***I received this book in exchange for an honest review from the author***

I LOVED this. What a great new book by K. L. Bone. Bone is a master storyteller and is really great at sucking you into her tales. I have gotten lost in them numerous times now and have enjoyed it every time.

Black Rose is probably one of my favorites. It does have lots of blood and gore in it and epic battles but the love is so FIERCE in this book, it was so utterly captivating. Bah, I was a mess for Mara and Edward. Mara
Lisa
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
to be honest, I had forgotten that I requested this book for review until it was sent to me for review!!
Haha ... it happens!
I was already reading another book but I put it down, reluctantly, and picked up BLACK ROSE and began reading!

oh ...my ...word!

I was pulled into this story from the beginning ... the story is unique, the characters complex - they are immortal after all, they've developed, over time, complex memories, emotions, personalities!
I loved the flow of this story ... warning, it
L Rogers
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Black Rose carries us through a world of undying love, treachery, honor and vengeance. Although Mara is of royal blood, she has chosen a different path for herself as a defender. The writing will keep you engaged with its powerful emotion and difficult decisions Mara and Edward, her protector and true love must make.

K.L. Bone’s use of color enhances the mental picture for the reader. Her violet eyes reach out to us and the symbolic black rose is not lost on the audience. The story will revea
Dorothy Kirby
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I opened the cover and started to read I was immediately drawn into the story. Mara is a very strong woman and easy to identify with although she also has an Achilles heal so to speak that allows her to be vulnerable and believable. The fast paced story leads along a mysterious path of visions and dreams that all link Mara to the past and the future. Although she struggles from time to time, she manages to maintain a strong commitment to her chosen post as Captain of the Black Rose Guard.
S
Crina (Reading Addict)
Feb 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Do you know that moment when you request a book because it sounds good and has amazing ratings and you're happy to read it... and after few chapter you want to cry, because it is so bad? I don't have expectations at all for some book and I haven't had for this one, but it killed me. It reads more as a draft or a sketch. Dialogue, dialogue, very boring. No descriptions, no emotions, more telling then showing. Flat characters, flat story.

DNF at page 25/176

Do not pick this up, because honestly, and
Carmen Taxer
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A bold novel with a an interesting twist on the world in which we live, I appreciated the author's focus on manipulating the reality to create a more romantic universe in which the story took place. Bone has an incredible grasp of the language and uses it to her advantage, drawing the reader into this emotionally rife tale wherein the language use is so intensely chimed with the descriptions of the characters and their torment, the loss of love, and the almost one-sidedness of it. I enjoyed the ...more
Crimson Worthen-
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very intense, very graphic. Loved how you felt like you were in the book. Excited to get Blood Rose to continue the saga. This book put Twilight to shame. Unforbidden love, vengeance, war. Excellent read, but beware, not for the faint at heart for gore.
Mehak
Aug 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Aubrie L. Nixon
Dark, tragic, heartbreaking and beautifully done. Black Rose had me compulsively turning pages to find out more. My heart ached for Mara throughout her journey of guilt, darkness, and love. Wonderfully done! Brava!
Buffie Peterson
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kl-bone
When I first lay down to read Black Rose, I had a preconceived idea, it was going go be a typical romance story. Trust me, I was blown away at how wrong I was.

The story begins with a very gentle introduction of characters: Mara and Edward the main two. As you begin to read, you are not quit sure which direction the book is taking you. That was the fun part.

Throught the book, Ms. Bone does a phenomenal job of taking you from present day, to the past, and seamlessly back to the present. I have to
Christine Lee
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Black Rose is the beginning of the Black Rose Series by K.L. Bone. She was a new to me author, and I am grateful I gave her a read, and you will be too.

Mara was born a Princess of the Court, but due to tragedy and circumstances, she becomes a member of the Guard. There is a darkness to this story, but enough light and love to keep you going, and rooting, for Mara and her loves.

Once this story has grabbed you, you cannot stop; you will keep reading until you are finished, and it will leave you wa
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I've been in a roll finding some awesome indie authors lately! This was an amazing fantasy full of beautiful world building and such kick ass characters! And the heartbreak/ romance was pure torture! I loved it! On to book 2!
Amanda Jane  Williams
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to get into this book but once I did I couldn't put it down.I would recommend to read it.
Valerie Roberson
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
K.L. Bone has a completely different outlook on Romance. She brings to life a story of undying love. A love that is only found once in a lifetime. A love that withstands jealousy, separation for 600 years and forgiveness over and over again. A love that only soul mates find.
Mara is a princess that wants to be a knight. Her parents are gone and she is being brought up by her Mother's sister, a Queen. But for Mara to be a knight, she has to give up everything that goes with being a princess. Is
Stephenee
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
* I received an ebook from the author, but it in no way influences my honest review or opinion. *

This book was my first book by author K. L. Bone, but it won't be my last! I enjoyed everything about this book right from the very start! The author grabs the readers attention and never lets it go! The reader is locked into the story and is not able to function in their real, everyday life. I was instantly transported into the lives of Mara and Edward and that of the Royal Guard.

It has so many twis
Elizabeth Cash
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I have had the pleasure of reading by KL Bone. And I can guarantee that it will not be the last!
The Black Rose was such an emotional rollercoaster ride for me. This story was so riveting and tragically beautiful. Mara, who is a very complex character, is the Captain of The Black Rose Guard. We get to see her life throughout the book. Mara had a very tragic life, very sorrowful, but so not let that fool you.
She is strong, brave, and shows no mercy for those who cros
Gladys Gonzales Atwell
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nerdgirlofficial
I have read one of K.L. Bone’s book before, but the poetic beauty, darkness, and desperation in Black Rose overshadows anything I have read from her. Raw emotions, violence, and utter rage tackles you and pins you down until you have finished the book. There is no looking back; you just desire the next word, phrase, chapter and ultimately the next book.

Black Rose follows, Mara’s life as royalty in her Aunt’s court, how she was able to rise above the politics and ultimately how she was able to av
Andrea Stewart
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A literary Homerun! I loved this book from the first page to the last! It’s dark and twisted, full of love, hate, and torture! The detail in the writing is amazing and makes the scenes play out with such great detail that it’s like I am fully there with Edward, Mara, and all the other fantastic characters that I have come to love (and dislike). The life events of Edward and Mara and Garreth play out over centuries and they leave you intrigued to know what is going to happen next and what happene ...more
Recipe Fairy
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Black Rose takes you on a dark spiral into the broken love of Mara and Edward. The mysteries are slowly unveiled throughout the book with small glimpses of past events peppered throughout. Eventually, you see the whole picture of tragedy that struck me with a gasp. I loved being thrown into the dark world of immortals and their tragic broken-heartedness. The flairs of mystery left me second guessing myself throughput the whole story. This was a truly intriguing book that leaves me aching to ...more
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
****4.5 Heart Searing Stars****

This is normally not a genre that I find myself enjoying but this author did a spectacular job of sucking me right in and taking me on such a fascinating adventure!

The love that Edward and Mara had for each other took my breath away and seared my heart in which the scar will last with me for a long time. I absolutely LOVED these characters and can't wait to read more from this author!
Jaime
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A mix of romance, fantasy, and mystery, The Black Rose is a masterfully told story that ensnares you and doesn't let go.

To me a good book is one that doesn't reveal too much at once and this book is definitely good! If you want a read that will keep you trying to figure things out, this is it! I really enjoy K.L. Bone's style of writing and the way she weaves the story together.
Detroitangel
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read in a while.

5 Stars. Watch a princess find loss, love, betrayal and revenge through her long immortal life. The vow of The Black Rose changed her worldly purpose to avenge those who gave their vow to follow her.
Candace Tidwell
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is mesmerizing. The story line is one of a kind and I'm actually in awe. It is rare to come across a book that is so beautifully written. Intense, spell-binding and beautiful. I look forward to reading the next book.
Fre06 Begum
Apr 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Alyssa Black
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Medieval mixed with modern

A page turner with a complex storyline. A few missteps here and there with some character background left out, still a compelling read.
Missy Ansell
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2017
May the Black Rose protect you in life and avenge you in death.

A love story between Edward and Mara. While I really liked the writing and the storyline, I also really hated Edward and didn't think he deserves Mara at all after what he's done. And while I felt bad for Mara, after a while it seemed kind of annoying that Mara still loves him after all he's done to her. He makes her wait for him for 25 years, then when he gets back he goes after Mara's cousin Liza which doesn't end well. Ma
Collette
The writing was evocative with just the right amount of detail. This was a different story, but a special one. Despite the third person narrative I found myself feeling along with the character. I was repeatedly surprised by the emotions I found myself experiencing in Mara's place - with the exception that I still haven't forgiven Edward for what he did to her. The slow start had me questioning whether I would make it through this book - being 20% in without an idea of where the story is going i ...more
Alexa Nicole
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, fantasy, series
Wow I couldn't put this one down. If you like fantasy with a well thought out and complicated plot this is for you! However, it does start out a little slow and confusing but that's only because of how detailed it is. Stick with it I promise.

However, I don't know that I agree with the romance. Mara seems like Edwards second choice, and she is FINE with that... girl I don't care that you love him he isn't worth your time. You can't love multiple people at once. But... as much as I want to dislike
Alicia
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
that was intense!!

I purchased and read this book from a suggestion of my favorite author. I couldn't put this book down. I was so wrapped up in the story and the adventure that I couldn't stop thinking about it even when I did take a break to actually work. ;) i loved the mixture of modern and old world fantasy. I may have originally gone into this thinking i would read jist the 1st book but now I'm eager to start the next. Well done on capturing a new reader.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
K.L. Bone is the author of the bestselling Black Rose Guard dark fantasy series. The Rise of the Temple Gods fantasy series. And a stand-alone science fiction novel, The Indoctrination.

Bone has a master’s degree in modern literary cultures and is working toward her PhD.. She wrote her first short story at the age of fifteen and grew up with an equally great love of both classical literature and sp

Black Rose (6 books)
  • Heart of the Rose (Black Rose #2)
  • Blood Rose (Black Rose #3)
  • Shadow of the Rose (Black Rose, #4)
  • Silver Rose (Black Rose #5)
  • Princess of the Rose (Black Rose #6)