Start by marking “Flying Lessons & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Flying Lessons & Other Stories

Flying Lessons & Other Stories

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  2,204 Ratings  ·  506 Reviews
For the hardback, see ISBN13: 9781101934593.

In a partnership with We Need Diverse Books, industry giants Kwame Alexander, Soman Chainani, Matt de la Peña, Tim Federle, Grace
Audible Audio, 4 pages
Published January 3rd 2017 by Listening Library

Lola
To my astonishment, I was able to read this book in one sitting.

I’m not surprised I could read *a* book in one sitting, but anthologies are not my thing. In total, I may have – may have – read two or three others in entire life, and there isn’t one I read from beginning to end, without skipping at least two short stories.

That’s because anthologies = multiple authors = multiple writing styles. It’s rare for someone to enjoy twelve or so short stories equally. And yet, I loved the hell out of eac
Nat
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whether it is basketball dreams, family fiascos, first crushes, or new neighborhoods, this bold anthology—written by the best children’s authors—celebrates the uniqueness and universality in all of us. Flying Lessons & Other Stories includes a variety of characters — from different backgrounds, disabilities, ethnicities, sexualities. And so here's a look of some of my favorite short stories featured in here:

Sol Painting, Inc. by Meg Medina

Twelve-year-old Merci Suarez is helping her father
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Flying Lessons and Other Stories by Ellen Oh

Flying Lessons and Other Stories are a solid anthology. I love the recurring theme of the short stories which is the lessons you can glean after reading each one. All of the stories feature those kids who are usually unseen. The underprivileged, the weird, the outcast, the brown, and black kids. It’s a necessary mirror for all ages, particularly for middle grade readers. I can’t recommend it enough.

Since, this is a collection of short stories I’ll rate
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a cute anthology. I didn't do much research before listening to this on audio, so I didn't realize it was middle grade. I don't personally enjoy MG, but I think that it's such an important collection of diverse stories for younger readers. There were so many characters from different backgrounds, ethnicities, sexualities, and disabilities. There was a different narrator for each story in the audiobook and I think that added a lot. My favorite story was The Difficult Path by Grace Lin. I ...more
Ron Charles
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-ya
Had the pleasure of interviewing the editor, Ellen Oh, about this great new collection of stories for kids. To watch, go to The Washington Post Facebook page:

Bogi Takács
I will probably not review this one at length, I read it because I wanted to relax with fun middle grade stories and loved the lineup. It did not go as well as I thought it would. So just some brief points.

I did not want to see in an explicitly diversity-themed book:
* using fatness as a shorthand for bad character traits
* the existence of non-Christians spoiling the fun about Christmas, as now school holiday celebrations need to be secular (multi-page scene about this)
* the boy forcing the girl
CW (Read Think Ponder)
I loved Flying Lessons and Other Stories. This book was the perfect book to start off 2017 - it filled me with so much joy, reminded me of the ups and downs of youth, and filled me with so much hope -- hope, because kids with marginalized identities may read this book and find themselves in the stories' characters. And I cannot emphasize how important this is - and consequently how this makes Flying Lessons and Other Stories so important and successful.

Within the Flying Lessons and Other Stories
Donalyn
Fabulous anthology with a mix of genres and perspectives represented. A must-have for middle school and high school classrooms and libraries.
Jacquelyn
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I think that no matter what my rating of this book is, that this is an important read, especially for kidlit. I think it's awesome to see more diverse stories (whether that's based off ethnicity, religion, disability, sexuality, race, etc.) targeted at smaller kids. I think that's amazing because when I was a young child looking for books, I never saw books like this. The industry has come a long way and still has a lot of work to do from here.

How to Transform an Everyday, Ordinary Hoop Court nt
Lesley Burnap
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read for everyone! Kids, maybe, grade 5+. Many voices represented here. Hope to read more from We Need Diverse Books-maybe even stories for much younger readers?
Chelsea
review also posted on Wordpress! spoiler-free review!

Flying Lessons and Other Stories is probably the first anthology I have ever read. As expected, I wanted more from each story, but I enjoyed them all nonetheless! This anthology features diverse stories written by diverse authors and I plan to read more books by them. It definitely focusses on diversity of ethnicity and race, which is great. But diversity also means LGBTQIAP+, mental health... representation and there wasn't enough of that.

I a
Meg - A Bookish Affair
4.5 stars. One of the things that initially got me into reading as a youngster was the ability that books had to let me see through new eyes and walk that proverbial mile in someone else's shoes. I think it is so important for everyone but for children and teenagers to have access to a wide variety of books that reflect all different walks of life and experience. That is just one reason that I am such a big supporter of the "We Need Diverse Books" movement. It's an important step forward for the ...more
David J. Naiman
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some submissions read like short stories and others like an early chapter in a book, but all have an interesting story and perspective to share. Well done by all.
Emily Mead
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This anthology makes me so happy. YES for diverse middle grade books about all different kinds of things - about being a trans kid, disabled, PoC, native...and the diversity is intersectional too.

The only drawback to it is that 1) the stories are INCREDIBLY short, and often it's like the story's only begun when it's finished. And 2) they're still overwhelmingly American. What I would love to see is a diverse stories anthology with contributions from all over the world, because everyone's story
Laela
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's hard to find a good short story book. They aren't put out as much as they used to be. I was was delighted to find this book and will be eager to share it with readers in the future.

I liked each of the stories. Some more than others. Kwame Alexander's story stole the show for me. Samantha Quan was also a strong contender. Those stories I wanted to go and on.

I think it could have been edited better. The flow of the book was off putting in parts.
Holly
Fabulous anthology of short stories by award-winning authors. I'm glad I bought this book because I want to use a few as read alouds. My favorites were Matt de la Pena's "How to Transform an Everyday, Ordinary Hoop Court into a Place of Higher Learning and You at the Podium" and Kwame Alexander's "Seventy-Six Dollars and Forty-Nine Cents". I also enjoyed Tim Federle's and Meg Medina's stories. They're ALL good, though!
Sarah Johnson
Read this as soon as possible. This may be the best book I read this year... I know, it's only February, but it will take a lot for this to be my second favorite book of 2017.
Alison
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I may consider going through and rating each story but they were all so good! I really enjoyed these!
Beth
I'm not usually a fan of short story anthologies but this one, edited by one of the founders of #WeNeedDiverseBooks, is fabulous.
Adriyanna Zimmermann
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Actual rating: 4.25/5 stars
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
This was such a good anthology of stories and they were all diverse which makes them that much better. I have a love-hate relationship with anthologies in general because I feel like short stories sometimes try to do too much with the little bit of room they have and some of the stories fell prey to that. But I think this anthology is great and has some really fantastic short stories that everyone should read in it. I highly recommend it and am glad that I started my reading year off with this! ...more
Gloria
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mock-awards-2018
I don't usually read short stories, but I ended up enjoying most of the stories in this anthology. Some great stories by authors who support We Need Diverse Books.
Leeanna
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, e-book, for-review
This review is also on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

FLYING LESSONS AND OTHER STORIES is a short but powerful anthology of diverse stories by diverse authors. Really, these stories could fit into any anthology, because the themes -- sibling relationships, first crushes, friendship, etc -- are universal. But these stories are extra important for young readers (and old!) who might not see themselves reflected in many books and stories.

The stories in FLYING LESSONS AND OTHER STORIES span a range of voices
Diana
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
***DISCLAIMER: This review contains an overuse of the word "Different."***

You know what's great about anthologies? It's all these different stories written by different authors with different view points, different lives, different writing styles, different ideas coming together to create one book.
Much like it's readers, we all have different stories, different backgrounds, different view points, different experiences, even different opinions of this book alone.

This is a great collection of stor
The Reading Countess
This is a book that must be read-by parents, students, teachers...Having taught in a myriad of teaching environments, I can assure that students who look in the mirror as they turn the pages of Flying Lessons and Other Stories AS WELL AS (or perhaps, ESPECIALLY) the students who DO NOT reflect the characters in the pages of the short stories. For, as Walter Dean Myers said in his eloquent essay more than twenty-five years ago, "If we continue to make black children nonpersons by excluding them f ...more
Melissa Williams
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would give some of these stories 5 stars. Others, I would give 4. One or two, I might give 3 stars, but that is mostly because they just don't fit my personal taste in style and subject.
There are 10 stories by 10 diverse authors in this collection, and by and large, it's excellent. I learned of this book by following We Need Diverse Books. This title is our school's "All Middle School Read" this summer. The entire middle school: students and faculty will read the book, and then we will do some
Brittany
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, I have been a little distracted with my reading lately. I coach two sports in the spring, so I have small snippets of free time. This book was perfect for that. They stories were by some of my favorite authors and I kept looking forward to the next, great one.

One that really stood out for me was Woodson's "Main Street." Her story of a young girl, growing up as the only minority in her small town in the Northeast had me reminiscing about Full Cicada Moon. Her protagonist's voice was powerful
Rida Imran
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Do you ever read a book that makes you feel all happy, warm and fuzzy? This was that book.

I don't what to say about it. All the stories were beautiful and unique in their own. They felt pure. 5 stars seems less for this book.

If I were to individually write about all these stories. I'd probably just use synonyms for beautiful to describe each.

I want to shove this book in everyone's face. Only problem is I don't have a lot of friends that read.

This book is for everyone out there, specially if you
Mohammed Rasheen
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Flying lessons and other stories is a anthology fresh and fun each one of the stories by a young line up of literary vanguard. these stories most of them talks about the importance of fighting ones own comfort zone. totally worth it. recommends to people who like young adult and middle grade books.
favorite picks:
Sol paining, inc.
Flying lessons.
seventy six dollars and forty nine cents.

Melissa
Delightful short stories.
Around the Year i...: Flying Lessons and Other Stories, by Ellen Oh 1 11 May 21, 2017 12:06AM
  • Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles
  • That Inevitable Victorian Thing
  • Ramona Blue
  • Sea Witch
  • Amal Unbound
  • Daybreak Rising (Embers of Redemption, #1)
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
  • The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)
  • My So-Called Bollywood Life
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
  • The Rose in the Briar
  • A Season of Daring Greatly
  • Tash Hearts Tolstoy
  • Dress Codes for Small Towns
  • Buried Heart (Court of Fives, #3)
Thanks for checking out my author page! I'm no longer checking notifications here on Goodreads but you are welcome to contact me on twitter or my blog and you can find a detailed bio here.

For more information please visit my website at ellenoh.com

More about Ellen Oh