Start by marking “Passing Through” as Want to Read:
Passing Through

Passing Through

Don’t waste a chance at happiness…

Leo is a lonely workaholic with no time for romance in his life. His job in London takes all his energy and commitment. When he goes to Cornwall to stay with his terminally ill uncle, Edwin, love is the last thing Leo expects to find.

Tris lives in a cottage on Edwin’s land. Gay, but still half in the closet, he and Leo bond over their
Published March 4th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published February 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Passing Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passing Through

Start your review of Passing Through
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~~ The mass of men live
lives of quiet desperation. ~~

When Leo returns to his childhood haunts on the cliffs of Cornwall, he doesn't expect to find love.

Leo is lost. He's worked so hard for so long, he's forgotten how to live. He's detached and lonely . . . just passing through life.

Leo's beloved uncle Edwin is dying, and Leo, feeling guilty for all the time he's missed, decides to spend some time caring for him.

After a morning run, Leo finds a strange man rummaging through the fridge of
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
description

This is for sure my favorite Jay Northcote's book. If the other books I’ve read from her were more light, sexy and/or funny, this one was more touching. Needless to say, it was more emotional than I expected. As a reader I love a book that makes me feel. And this one really did. In my opinion for a short novel it was a solid read. The title of this book is perfect. If you’ll read it you will certainly know what I mean.

The story is told entirely from Leo’s POV (3rd POV), one of the main
Sheziss

When I was traveling throughout England, the first view I had was an endless horizon of green. It was August and I swear in August I usually have sun and not rains. But one day it was cloudless and we decided to have a go in Brighton and its beach. Serious mistake. There was no fine sand whatsoever, only rocks that stabbed my soles till I reached the water, and those same rocks that stabbed my soles when I came back. And those same rocks stabbed my butt when I sat down.

I'm pretty confident I
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Jay Northcote is an almost sure win for me. And this was another solid read.

Nothing over-the-top. A very sweet comfort story.

All Leo does is work. He's lonely, but doesn't even realize it. Not until he goes to visit his sick uncle Edwin and meets Tris.

Tris was living on Edwin's property. His marriage fell apart after his coming out.

Leo and Tris connect through Edwin. They comfort each other as Edwin's health declines.

One night together becomes two which becomes every night.

But what will
Sheri
It seems I've been attracted to emotional tales as of late. Recently, I pondered the differences between emotional and angst. I believe it varies from individual to individual. Some topics are automatic triggers for some and not necessarily to others. This certainly impacts the angst level…personal connection.

As a general rule, angst for me is drama. Angst is doubt and uncertainty. Angst hits in me in my tummy. The other side of the coin is emotive. Emotional is extremely painful due to sadness,
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3 Stars***

This was a quick, enjoyable and sweet read.

I loved the quaint English seaside setting. It really added to the vibe of the story.

Leo and Tris were endearing characters, but I didn't quite feel a connection with them. I just didn't feel any spark or passion. I can't put my finger on why, as all the pieces were there, but they didn't fully grab me. I was more drawn and enthralled with Edwin's history and life. His background really pulled at the heartstrings and I ate up every story
Jay Northcote
Jan 18, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
This book is very close to my heart.

Writing it was my way of dealing with an impending bereavement in my own life.
As you can guess from the blurb, it’s much angstier than my usual relatively light reads. But I hope that if you give it a chance, you’ll ultimately feel uplifted.
He couldn’t believe that death was final. It might be the end of that person’s chapter, but people left an impression that remained long after they were gone. Ripples that spread and touched those still living.

Edited to
Denise H.
A wonderful British M/M romance !

A beautiful British tale of an overworked Londoner, Leo, 40, who travels to Cornwall to see his dying Uncle, Edwin. There he meets Landscaper, Tris, 30s, who lives in the cottage of Edwin’s property. Leo visits the beach,

cares for his Uncle and develops a sweet relationship with Tris, who has a 7 yr. old son living in the city.

There are many deep conversations and reflections from their younger years for Edwin and Leo. Leo and Tris have some exciting sexy
Dalia
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, favorites

The path of life is full of obstacles, but love can light the way. All I ask is that next time you find yourself at a turning point, you consider your options carefully.
Don't waste a chance at happiness.

Leo is always busy with his job and it's hard for him to give any time to a relationship. He goes to Cornwall to spend some time with his beloved uncle, Edwin, who's dying. He was close to Edwin when he was a boy, but when he grew up their relationship had drifted. Leo feels guilty about it
вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
description....

Emotional, touching, engaging and just a tad on the angsty side; what m/m books are all about for me. Really, really liked this read.

Bev
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All those romantic souls out there....

Wow. Read it straight through, couldn't stop. Just a wonderfully gentle read, full of emotion, love and sadness. Discovering secrets and someone's lost love...finding love yourself when you least expect it, when you thought you'd never be able to cos you didn't have the time or the energy to devote to someone else...but you can!! Not sure this would have worked anywhere else but Cornwall, but it's a beautiful read Jay, and that ending was perfection. Many congrats, and I can and will give it 6
Mark
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG! Another book that has just reduced me to tears and had me snivelling buckets into my Kindle. This book evoked emotions in me that were so strong it left me reflecting on life for days. Absolutely beautiful writing from Jay Northcote that anyone who reads this book without getting the slightest lump in their throat have no feelings to talk about.

Leo is down in Cornwall to visit his terminally ill Uncle Edwin who is dying of lung cancer. Yes, I can appreciate this will not be everyone’s
Jewel
Passing Through isn't nearly so light as the rest of this author's books (and I've LOVED this author's other books). It illustrates, very well, the skill, talent and range that Jay Northcote possesses. I'm pretty sure every emotion was triggered in me, at least once - Jay even managed to surprise me, which I always love when I'm reading - and I loved every minute of my journey with this story. The angst in the story is completely organic. No melodrama, or contrived obstacles. You'll find ...more
Garrett Leigh
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was my absolute pleasure to be part of the production team for this book. Being the designer meant I got to pre read the manuscript before it even reached an editor, and even in it's raw form, this heartfelt, emotive piece of writing is one that will stay with me forever.

Passing Through is proof, if we ever needed it, that Jay Northcote is a gifted and versatile writer, who in Passing Through, has artfully crafted a tale that, sadly, is one many of us will have to face at one time or another.
Zuzu
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Upping to 5 stars on the reread.

I really love this story.
Tina
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it

4,5 stars.

I loved this one, the setting in Cornwall is just wonderfully done. I felt the salt and the wind on my skin, felt the sun and the rain, accompanied by the sound of the waves.

The characters are fresh, real and interesting, the story line sweet and sexy and the plot is romantic, delightful, painful and heartbreaking.

Oh my, how I loved Leo and Tris and their passionate romance, and even more Edwin, Leo’s uncle… I wept with him for the love of his life, Tom and the sacrifices they made
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Very moving and well written. Jay Northcote's best!
Lelyana

*** 5 stars! ***

How many times one book could leaves you cry and feeling joy and smiling at the same time?
Not much.
But this one, did that. This is the story of three men, Leo, Tris and Edwin (Leo's uncle).
The setting is in the beautiful Cornwall, made me feel that I read on the right spot where Edwin spent years of his younger life with the love of his life, Tom. feel the breeze and the love.

And where Leo had finally found something worth more than loads of money he had in London, his Tris.

The
Fani *loves angst*

I must be the only one of my GR friends who didn't like this book. All in all, it was a decent story, with a pervasive melancholy that suited the Cornwall background perfectly. However, the atmosphere was the only thing I enjoyed.

In my mind, this book was the male equivalent of chick-lit: it was mainly the story of a successful but lonely man, who prompted by his dying uncle and a brief romance while in Cornwall, decides to change his priorities in life and pursue a different road, with
Simon
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Simon by: Bev Sutherland
4+ stars (ish).
I know, I know. I've given five stars as a rating and I'm saying four stars in the review/section, which sounds like a cop-out, but the sex was just wrong! Needless to say I wept, which is always a good sign that I enjoyed the story, the writing, the characters.
An incredibly emotional read. I read this novel in one afternoon, I couldn't stop....it is that good.
The setting was just perfect. The characters had that angsty sadness, the plot was so emotional, just the sex that
Ele
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This story proves to me what a talented writer Jay Northcote is. Every new book of hers i read, i find it better than the previous one.

Leo visits his dying uncle Edwin in Cornwall. There, he meets Tris and falls in love with him.Edwin is a huge part of the story, an amazing character who lived an intriguing life. His trip down memory lane interwined with our story and the result is breathtaking.

This is all i'm going to say because i don't want to spoil anything.

This book was different. It isn't
Maya
Jan 29, 2015 rated it did not like it

Superficial and clichéd.
Won't remember any of it in a few days.
Elsbeth

*2,5 stars*

description

I'm so sad I didn't like this. I love Cornwall and I could just picture the cottage. But I just couldn't connect with Leo and Tris at all. It picked up a bit with Edwin's side story. Just not enough...

Bummer cause everyone else seemed to like it.
Anke
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was wonderful, in the middle a bit too much fairy-tale-like, too good to be true, but the the right amount of sad. And a very nice, satisfying and well-rounded happy ending.
Alona
3.8 stars.

I loved ALL the characters in this story.
Yes, it was as much Edwin's story as it was Leo and Tris's.

Beautiful, quiet and touching tale of choices.
Keveen
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 "JAY NORTCHCOTE IS AMAZING" STARS

Seriously. This book.

I had very few words to actually say about this book. I held off reading this because I thought it would be a very sad book like with so much angst but it didn't. It was sad, yes, but it had its reasons and its purpose was for the greater good of the story.

I really loved the setting of the story. Wherever Cornwall is, I would like to have my place there. I love the beach and this one described the place so perfectly that it was really
Lori
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bmbr-reads, 2015
This book was everything I've come to expect from Jay Northcote - characters I relate to, a great storyline and real love. The Cornwall setting of this book is beautiful and sets a great tone for the story. Like the beautiful Cornish coast, there is real beauty but also hidden treachery.

Leo didn't expect to learn about love from his beloved Uncle Edwin. He doesn't expect the secrets he learns and he certainly did not expect to feel those stirrings of love himself with his uncle's gardener. The
Trio
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really sweet. Nicely fleshed out when often JN glosses over the characters - these guys' characters were beautifully done. Uncle Edwin was fantastic and the relationship that grows between Leo and Tris was just perfect. Great read.
Shannon
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aa-recommend
Well, I had myself a bit of a sobfest with this one but it was sooo great. And sweet and poignant and it even had some fairly smokin' smexing. Just the right amount of everything!
Jenni
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Sorry, book: I'm just not that into you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • Adam Only (Those Other Books #2)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity #1)
  • Out (Out, #1)
  • Flash Rip
  • Spencer Cohen, Book One (Spencer Cohen, #1)
  • Whiskey Throttle (Fever Falls, #3)
  • Home (Camassia Cove, #1)
  • Looking for Trouble
  • Blank Canvas (Irons and Works, #2)
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Private Charter
  • American Traditional (Irons and Works, #3)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book Two (Spencer Cohen, #2)
  • Hot Ride
I don't hang out on Goodreads much, so if you'd like to connect with me then Twitter, Facebook or an email is usually best :) All my contact details are on my website.

Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website